Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

thala thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 3
Posted: 10 years ago

Of the large number of disciples who had the rare and inestimable privilege of serving the great Acharya Sri Shankara Bhagavatpada, four stand out prominent. Each one of them was unrivalled in his own way: Padmapada for intense devotion, Totaka for exemplary service, Hastamalaka for supreme self-realisation and Sureshwara for deep learning

In the land of the Cholas, on the banks of the Kaveri, there was a devout Brahmana called Vimala. He was blessed with a boy. While in his teens, he mastered all the Vedas and showed an extreme distaste for worldly life. He earnestly hoped for a guru who would lead him across the ocean of samsara. Refusing to marry, he travelled with the purpose of finding such a guru. Fortunately for him, Sri Shankara was staying at Kashi, expounding his inimitable Bhasyas. The boy Padmapada resplendent with Brahma-Tejas ran to him and threw himself at his feet. The Acharya perceived the learning, courage and earnestness of the newcomer. He accepted him as his disciple. He initiated him into the Sanyasa Ashrama under the name of Sanandana.

He was first of Shankara's disciples. He was first in more than one sense. His unrivalled devotion so pleased the teacher that, in appreciation of his earnest search for truth, the Acharya took the trouble of explaining to him his works thrice. This partially engendered in the other disciples a feeling of misgiving, which the Acharya immediately took care to eradicate.

When Sanandana and a few other disciples were once on the other bank of the river Ganga, the Acharya called them to come to him. No boat was available. But Sanandana, secure in faith and grace of the Acharya, stepped on the water and began to walk. Struck with his devotion, the divine Ganga showed her admiration by placing lotuses on the water to support his feet at every step. To the astonishment of all, he unconcernedly crossed over to the other bank where he was duly rewarded by the embrace of the Acharya. It was a mark of affection, which no other disciple had ever received. In memory of this incident, he was henceforth known as Padmapada at the desire of the Acharya.

Even before becoming a disciple, he was in the centre of the world of Vedic, traditional scholarship of his times. It is however not the revelation of his great scholarship, but the great challenge he faced, the course he opted, of flowing generosity and atonement, and the prophetic understanding he displayed that made him great as a person.

this is sheer guru bhakthi
padmapadacharya didnt worry about the river nor its depth
the moment his guru called him
he ran on the river

that bhakthi is what we should learn from him
shruthiravi thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 2
Yaa Ramadi I have heard about this story of Padmapada. 😃. But is it Bhakti or Faith. When he ran to answer his guru's call he didnt worry because he had so much faith in his guru that his guru will not allow anything bad to happen to him.
ashuz thumbnail
Originally posted by: thala

that is what i too said ashuz

i consider thiruvasagam too as a holy book
 some consider bhagavatham holier than BG
it depends

narayaneeyam is considered equal to bhagavatham for keralites
12 thirumuraigal

all about lord shiva is another set of holy books

above all these even BG

BHAGAVATHAM  is the holiest

it is said that once in a life time you are ought to read this book
its about vishnu and his various forms ( avatars)

there is an interesting story regarding this bhagavatham will put it on TFTD one day

oh now i get it.i thought there is only 1 book which is superior to all,thats why i asked again
and thanks again for all wonderful stories
b2011 thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 4
Thanks Rama for the thread.  Nice thoughts.
I chant Sivapuranam (Namah Shivaya Vaazhga) on Pradosham days without understanding its meaning completely ðŸ˜ƒ, studied in Bangalore so cannot fully understand the meaning of the phrases.

I have heard this Padmapadacharya story.  Nice to read it again and also know about the temples you have mentioned. 
thala thumbnail
Originally posted by: shruthiravi

Yaa Ramadi I have heard about this story of Padmapada. 😃. But is it Bhakti or Faith. When he ran to answer his guru's call he didnt worry because he had so much faith in his guru that his guru will not allow anything bad to happen to him.

again the same explanation
bhakthi- you dont expect your guru to save you if you drown in the river
faith- you believe that even if you drown your guru will save you

padmapada falls under the first category
he didnt think of anything
he just ran to his guru when he called 
thats all

he didnt even think that he would get drowned if he stepped into the river
if he had thought of the river
he wouldnt have been padma pada

thala thumbnail
Originally posted by: ashuz

oh now i get it.i thought there is only 1 book which is superior to all,thats why i asked again
and thanks again for all wonderful stories

welcome azhuz
my pleasure

god wants us to get us  involved in  some form of bhakthi

it can be through reading books like ramayana 
singing his songs like thyagaraja 

chanting his name like lord hanuman
singing bhajans like haridoss giri

there are various media through which you can 
realise him

jhema thumbnail
thanks thala

i heard abt this story but i forgot the name of guru and disciple.
now i got that 
thala thumbnail
Originally posted by: b2011

Thanks Rama for the thread.  Nice thoughts.

I chant Sivapuranam (Namah Shivaya Vaazhga) on Pradosham days without understanding its meaning completely ðŸ˜ƒ, studied in Bangalore so cannot fully understand the meaning of the phrases.

I have heard this Padmapadacharya story.  Nice to read it again and also know about the temples you have mentioned. 

😃
me too bka

i never knew to read or write in tamil
i too studied in davangere( near bangalore)

it is lord shiva's wish to hear those verses from me
i feel blessed

MEANING OF SIVAPURANAM IN THIS LINK
http://stotraratna.sathyasaibababrotherhood.org/s73.htm

umakittu thumbnail
Dear Rama
Nicely posted with pictures.  Faith is important. I request all the members to view the serial being shown in Vijay TV between 1800 hrs and 1830 hrs from yesterday about Kanchi Mahaperiyava.
thala thumbnail
^ tfs for the info dear

missed it yesterday 
but will for sure