bhagawat gita time
sandy cannot win the trophy on her own 
she needs a guru , teacher to guide her and train her

"tad viddhi praniptena

paripranena sevay

upadeksyanti te jnam

jninas tattva-darinah

SYNONYMS

tat " that knowledge of different sacrifices; viddhi " try to understand; praniptena " by approaching a spiritual master; paripranena " by submissive inquiries; sevay " by the rendering of service; upadeksyanti " they will initiate; te " you; jnam " into knowledge; jninah " the self-realized; tattva " of the truth; darinah " seers.

TRANSLATION

Just try to learn the truth by approaching a spiritual master. Inquire from him submissively and render service unto him. The self-realized souls can impart knowledge unto you because they have seen the truth.

PURPORT

The path of spiritual realization is undoubtedly difficult. The Lord therefore advises us to approach a bona fide spiritual master in the line of disciplic succession from the Lord Himself. No one can be a bona fide spiritual master without following this principle of disciplic succession. The Lord is the original spiritual master, and a person in the disciplic succession can convey the message of the Lord as it is to his disciple. No one can be spiritually realized by manufacturing his own process, as is the fashion of the foolish pretenders. The Bhgavatam (6.3.19) says, dharmam tu sksd bhagavat-prantam: the path of religion is directly enunciated by the Lord. Therefore, mental speculation or dry arguments cannot help lead one to the right path. Nor by independent study of books of knowledge can one progress in spiritual life. One has to approach a bona fide spiritual master to receive the knowledge. Such a spiritual master should be accepted in full surrender, and one should serve the spiritual master like a menial servant, without false prestige. Satisfaction of the self-realized spiritual master is the secret of advancement in spiritual life. Inquiries and submission constitute the proper combination for spiritual understanding. Unless there is submission and service, inquiries from the learned spiritual master will not be effective. One must be able to pass the test of the spiritual master, and when he sees the genuine desire of the disciple, he automatically blesses the disciple with genuine spiritual understanding. In this verse, both blind following and absurd inquiries are condemned. Not only should one hear submissively from the spiritual master, but one must also get a clear understanding from him, in submission and service and inquiries. A bona fide spiritual master is by nature very kind toward the disciple. Therefore when the student is submissive and is always ready to render service, the reciprocation of knowledge and inquiries becomes perfect.

translation by prabhupadha ( ISKCON)

Madhudvia: Thirty-four: "Just try to learn the truth by approaching a spiritual master. Inquire from him submissively and render service unto him. The self-realized soul can impart knowledge unto you because he has seen the truth [Bg4.34]." Purport.
Prabhupda: This is the process of understanding spiritual knowledge. "Just try to learn the truth by approaching a spiritual master." So if you want to learn, this is a common sense affair. Whatever subject matter you want to learn, you have to find out an expert.
Suppose if you want to learn engineering, so you cannot go to a butcher. You must find out an engineer. You must admit yourself into the engineering college, learn how to practice engineering. Suppose if you want to become a medical practitioner, so you have to admit yourself in some medical college. Similarly, if you want to know about spiritual matter, then you must approach a spiritual master who knows the things. How you can learn it from anywhere and everywhere? One must be expert in spiritual knowledge. From him you have to learn. Therefore it is said here, "Just try to learn the truth by..."
Here truth means the Absolute Truth, not relative truth. Or even if you want to know relative truth, you have to approach a particular expert. But here, it is indicated, truth means the Absolute Truth. So Ka indicates that "Just try to learn the truth by approaching a spiritual master." Tad-vijnrtha sa gurum evbhigacchet [MU 1.2.12]. That is the Vedic injunction. In the Kahopaniad the Vedas says that "If you want to learn transcendental science, so you have to approach a bona fide spiritual master."
And who is bona fide spiritual master? That is also described, rotriya brahma-niham:"One who has heard from his spiritual master." This is... Spiritual master becomes by disciplic succession, ascending process. Just like we learn "Man is mortal" from higher authority, from my father, from mother or any other authority.
Or just a child. A child is attracted generally to his mother, in human being, in animals, everywhere. So if a child wants to know his father, then the authority is the mother, and there is not other authority. The child cannot know the name of his father by his own imagination or speculation, if he thinks, "Oh, he may be my father, he may be my father, he may be my father..." Go on imagining, speculating, but you will never be able to understand who is your father. But the mother indicates, "My dear child, he is your father""immediately business finished. You see? So if you want to speculate who is God, who is the supreme father, you go on speculating for lives together. But if somebody knows, "Here is your God," you accept it"the business finished. Very simple truth. You cannot imagine, you cannot speculate, even on your ordinary father, what to speak of the supreme father. Is it possible? No.
Therefore just try to learn the truth by approaching a spiritual master. One who is fortunate to have a bona fide spiritual master, he is supposed to... cryavn puruo veda: "One who has taken shelter of a real crya, spiritual master, from the disciplic succession, he knows."cryavn puruo vedaVeda means "He is in the knowledge." One who has accepted a bona fide spiritual master, he is in the knowledge. Others are fools. This is the Vedic version everywhere. Here also, Bhagavad-gt, it is said that "You try to learn the truth by approaching spiritual master."
And how to learn from the spiritual master? "Inquire from him submissively." You don't approach a spiritual master whom you can challenge. Then your selection of spiritual master is wrong. If you keep one spiritual master as showbottle, then your selection is not right. It is wrong. The spiritual master... You must select a spiritual master where you can bow down your head, "Yes," submissive. Therefore you have to see.
Suppose you are going here. You are coming here to learn something. When you are convinced that "Swamiji knows the thing," when you are convinced, then you accept. Then you ask for initiation. Otherwise don't do it hesitatingly or knowing half. Therefore in the system it is enjoined that the spiritual master also observe the disciple at least for one year, and the disciple also studies the spiritual master at least for one year. So when both of them are convinced that "He can be my spiritual master" or "He can be my disciple," then the relationship is established. We initiate our students. The preliminary initiation is offering chanting. Then we observe at least for one year, how he is chanting, how he is doing. Then the second initiation confirms. That is the system.
So inquire from him submissively. Where you cannot submit, if you think that "Oh, what is this spiritual master? I can challenge him," then there is no question of accepting as your spiritual master. You have to submit yourself, fully surrender yourself. You have to bow your head: "Yes. Here is my spiritual..."

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

ashuz thumbnail
Posted: 10 years ago
thanks rama for sharing these verses, are there any other verses like these in B,geeta?
shruthiravi thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 2
Ramadi this verse is not true just to guru-shishya relationship it is true to every relationship. Every relation we need to accept the other person for what he or she is. If not then that relation will not be smooth. 😃
jhema thumbnail
thanks for sharing these verses thala 
thala thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 3
This content was originally posted by: ashuz

thanks rama for sharing these verses, are there any other verses like these in B,geeta?

BG is a vast ocean 
and iam learning BG
 iam not sure ashuz

iam happy that you are liking this😛
MJV2 thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail

Thanks for sharing Thala😊

ashuz thumbnail
thats ok rama. i also thought so.one more q, are there other books like B.geeta? if so what do u call it?
thala thumbnail
there are lot of books like gita
but every book says the same

do your duty 
without attachment

try to invest your precious time 
in god

do or  think  good
dont do or  think evil

ashuz thumbnail
rama i meant something which is consider as holy book, like for muslims its Quran,Bible for christians, torah for jews.
thala thumbnail
that is what i too said ashuz
i consider thiruvasagam too as a holy book
 some consider bhagavatham holier than BG
it depends

narayaneeyam is considered equal to bhagavatham for keralites
12 thirumuraigal

all about lord shiva is another set of holy books

above all these even BG

BHAGAVATHAM  is the holiest

it is said that once in a life time you are ought to read this book
its about vishnu and his various forms ( avatars)

there is an interesting story regarding this bhagavatham will put it on TFTD one day
Edited by thala - 10 years ago