Mahabharat

India-Forums

Mahabharat
Mahabharat

Like or Dislike Yudhishtir/ VB Nt pg 22 (Page 9)

Poll Question: What's your take on Yudhishtir?

Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
61 [54.95%]
50 [45.05%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

..RamKiJanaki.. IF-Addictz
..RamKiJanaki..
..RamKiJanaki..

Posted: 06 January 2014 at 9:09am | IP Logged
Without doubt, I think everyone can agree that Dhritarastra is the main culprit behind the dice game. More than anyone, Dhritarastra had the power to stop the dice game and everything else was happening, but he kept quiet because he was secretly enjoying it.
He didn't even stop Draupadi's vastra haran because he got perverted pleasure from the thought of the Pandavas' wife being humiliated in front of everyone. Dead If there is one character I hate the most in the Mahabharat, it is Dhritarastra.

The following 5 member(s) liked the above post:

anoosreeRosChel.LobsterMedha.Smythili2anu93

anu93 IF-Sizzlerz
anu93
anu93

Posted: 06 January 2014 at 9:14am | IP Logged
Originally posted by JanakiRaghunath

Without doubt, I think everyone can agree that Dhritarastra is the main culprit behind the dice game. More than anyone, Dhritarastra had the power to stop the dice game and everything else was happening, but he kept quiet because he was secretly enjoying it.
He didn't even stop Draupadi's vastra haran because he got perverted pleasure from the thought of the Pandavas' wife being humiliated in front of everyone. Dead If there is one character I hate the most in the Mahabharat, it is Dhritarastra.
Yes I agree with you he was totally blind in putra premDead that he most of the time forgot that he has to be Emperor of Hastinapur 1st and then a father of 100sons

The following 3 member(s) liked the above post:

anoosreemythili2..RamKiJanaki..

_vash_ Senior Member
_vash_
_vash_

Posted: 06 January 2014 at 9:35am | IP Logged
I really like his character.. but its pretty bad the way they are portraying him in this serial as if he knows nothing apart from being silent.Confused  For example today's episode was pathetic the way only Arjun handled all situation as if he is the only one intelligent and rest of them are dumb. That is not right!!!! Confused

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

..RamKiJanaki..

mythili2 IF-Sizzlerz
mythili2
mythili2

Posted: 06 January 2014 at 10:08am | IP Logged

totally agree janaki .. i hate drithrastra very muchDead ..he could hav done many things bt still kept quite..Dead

The following 2 member(s) liked the above post:

anoosree..RamKiJanaki..

Sweet_Krishna Senior Member
Sweet_Krishna
Sweet_Krishna

Posted: 06 January 2014 at 2:19pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by Rushika

Originally posted by gowri122

chose the 2nd option. can't forgive him 4 staking their common wife (not his personal wives) & brosAngry loved bheema wen he said he will burn the hands which staked draupadiStar but was stopped by arjuna (correct me if i'm wrong)

yess bheem was stopped by Arjun coz Arjun took an oath that whoever will shed Yudhishtir's birth, he will kill that person. Hence Arjun stopped Bheem because ultimately he had to kill Bheem coz of his impulsive oath Ouch

Arjun stopped Bheem from saying that because that would have sent message to Kauravas that Yudi's brothers had turned against him and there is no more unity among them.

anoosreeRosChel.Lobster--Royal--

Sweet_Krishna Senior Member
Sweet_Krishna
Sweet_Krishna

Posted: 06 January 2014 at 2:31pm | IP Logged
Had Yudhishthir not staked Draupadi, the war would not have happened!! All this was destined. And Yudi did what had been ordained for him to do in that birth. Nevertheless he did not hide behind fate or destiny to justify what he did in the heat of the moment. He took up exile without any protest because he considered it as the penance for what he did unto Draupadi and his brothers. He never forced his brothers and Draupadi to join him in the exile. They all went on their accord because they were just inseparable from each other.
Yudi unlike Duri always accepted his blunders and did not play any emotional blackmailing.

anoosreemythili2..RamKiJanaki..

..RamKiJanaki.. IF-Addictz
..RamKiJanaki..
..RamKiJanaki..

Posted: 06 January 2014 at 3:52pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by Sweet_Krishna

Had Yudhishthir not staked Draupadi, the war would not have happened!! All this was destined. And Yudi did what had been ordained for him to do in that birth. Nevertheless he did not hide behind fate or destiny to justify what he did in the heat of the moment. He took up exile without any protest because he considered it as the penance for what he did unto Draupadi and his brothers. He never forced his brothers and Draupadi to join him in the exile. They all went on their accord because they were just inseparable from each other.
Yudi unlike Duri always accepted his blunders and did not play any emotional blackmailing.

Yes exactly! Yudi haters seem to forget that he did penance to atone for his sin. He knew staking Draupadi and his brothers was wrong. He knew he was also responsible for what happened during the dice game. He spent 13 years trying to atone for his sin. When did Duryodhana ever do penance or feel guilty for whatever he did? He never accepted his mistakes. He was proud and selfish.

Yudhisthira is called Dharmaraj not because he was perfect, but because he was truthful and just. Whenever he did wrong, he accepted punishment because he knew that was Dharma. Neither the Pandavas nor Draupadi were required to follow him into exile, then why did they? Even Draupadi followed him into exile despite the fact that he staked her, when in reality she could have gone to her father's kingdom or even followed Subhadra to Dwaraka, since Krishna was like her brother. The exile was for Yudhisthira, but everyone supported him because ultimately, they knew he did what he did because of Dharma. He may not have followed the Dharma of a brother or husband during the dice game, but he followed the Dharma of a son (to Dhritarastra) because that Dharma was the one he deemed most important in that situation.

The following 2 member(s) liked the above post:

anoosreeMedha.S

.Vrish. Viewbie
.Vrish.
.Vrish.

Posted: 06 January 2014 at 4:11pm | IP Logged

I'm probably one of the few who likes his character. I'm not saying he was flawless and never committed mistakes, but his strengths make me love him. Without him the Pandavas would have fallen apart. He was a born leader who commanded the respect even from the Kuru elders. He was called "Dharmaraj" not because he was the perfect man, but because Dharma was most important in his life. 
Anyway, I'm not going to go into this too much because I know it'll create arguments. There are many people in this forum who worship characters like Duryodhan and hate Yudhisthir.

I loathe Duryodhan no less than the next guy, but that notwithstanding, it's possible to loathe Yudisthir as well for all the reasons I listed last page.  He was the albatross around the Pandava neck, and the reason they lost so much.  I don't think that Duryodhan was the alternative to him: I think that Bhima was.  There was no way Bhima would have put up w/ any nonsense from Dhritarashtra, and therefore, Shakuni wouldn't have dared try w/ him what he did w/ Yudisthir.  Arjun was over impulsive - making inane vows about killing anyone who insulted his bow, anyone who attacked Yudisthir, blah blah blah  Krishna had to pretty much protect Arjun from himself, as much as from his enemies like Bhagadatta or Srutayudha or Karna.

Had Yudisthir been more interested in the well being of those around him, and made dharam secondary, he'd have been a far better person.  I disagree that the Pandavas would have fallen apart - they'd have coalesced behind whoever was next - in this case, Bhima.  In fact, had he been killed early in the war, it would have been great for the Pandavas: they would have been fired up for revenge, and Bhima would have been unstoppable, not just b'cos of his fighting prowess, but now, b'cos he'd have been the king of the Pandavas.

One more mistake - Yudisthir never did any penance to atone for that sin - he didn't even consider it a sin.  That was a BRC invention, as usual.  Staking his brothers & wife was something that he had the right to do, by the norms of that time.  When Indra listed to him his one sin of lying to Drona, he didn't mention his staking his wife or brothers.  If you think he did penance for that, you could fish out the relevant portions from Vana parva where it says that.

Edited by .Vrish. - 06 January 2014 at 4:13pm

Medha.SArijit007mythili2

Go to top