Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Wistfulness thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail + 7
Posted: 10 years ago
Originally posted by: SRUJAconscience

<font face="Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif" size="2">Yudhishthirastands for duty and righteousness. He is also known as Dharmaraja, and he is the son of the godDharma.His character unveiling in the 'Great Epic' is slow but steady!Just like the chakras of body right from Mooladhara begin with a 4 petal lotus but end with a 1000 petal lotus his identity becomes strong and powerful in the later parvas.So was the effect absent in the beginning!?No!It was present all the time and everywhere but can be sensed only if the seeker is focussed in right angles.</font>

<font face="Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif" size="2">Yudhishtira is often referred to as 'Ajatasatru', one who has no enemies.His other name 'Tyaga' (Unloving to wordly things).These names have to play a key role in interpreting his actions during the dice game.</font>

<font face="Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif" size="2">Now please tell me can a person who can never keep enemity with anyone outside think of rivalry with his own relations!???From where do competition and opposition arise!???How do these 'yours' and 'mine' occur!???</font>

<font face="Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif" size="2">Whom can you give everything you possess?Ofcourse the one you consider your 'own'!Yuddhishtir considered all the Kauravas,their elders & relations his own,was this his fault!????How can this trait be 'Adharma'!???</font>

<font face="Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif" size="2">Many members critisised him saying 'Yuddhishtir staked everything including his brothers and wife as a commodity' to this I'll say,definitionsmay differ, people's thoughts may benarrow while interpreting, but the truth remains unchanged and only the right view can lead you to the real.</font>

<font color="#444444" size="2" face="Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif">Suppose you had to play dice with your own parents and siblings at your home.What do you do!?How do you react!?Just think for a moment!</font>

<font face="Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif" size="2">Yuddhishtir staked his wealth...because he believed that his wealth is his brothers also.Who can say all this is ours!?</font>

<font face="Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif" size="2">Yuddhistir staked his Kingdom...a king's subjects will bear the same recognition (as People- Praja)for his wife,brothers and children.So does pawning them make any difference!?</font>

<font face="Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif" size="2">Yuddhishtir staked his Pandava Brothers...because he knew that his siblings were brothers of Kauravas also.</font>

<font face="Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif" size="2">Yuddhishtir staked his wife...wasn't she related to Kauravas!?As said by Shri Ram a elder brother's wife is deemed to be a mother and the younger brother's wife is like a daughter.(posted in detail by Cool-n-Fresh)Yuddhshtir didn't stake her as a 'commodity'.He very well knew that his wife was like a mother to Kauravas so by staking her neither she becomes their slave nor her relationship with him gets abolished.</font>

<font size="2" face="Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif">But they!?Insulted their mother by dragging her and pulling her cloth!!What name can be given to such...!!!It was a 'big shame' on their part!</font>

<font size="2" face="Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif">Being Dharma Yuddhishtir very well knew what belongs to him belongs to them and what belongs to them is his.<font color="#ff0000">Howcan someone establish such a relation unless he/she is a true companion!?</font>I salute to this attribute of Yuddhishtir!</font>

<font size="2" face="Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif">The second one is 'Tyaga'.</font>

<font face="Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif" size="2">Yuddhishtir by this act teaches us that wealth and prosperity are transient and the body is subject to decay and death.Knowing this, he did his duty, leaving all attachment to the things of this world and next.</font>

Incredible post! I must admit this post by you stands out with the remarkable posts I've come across so far. Eye opening post indeed! 😊
_gReenheaRt_ thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail
Originally posted by: mythili2

πŸ‘This is just awesome analysis of yudhistir's character...never thought in this way..thank you..I wont say I started liking him bt definitely my dislike fr him fr the dice game episode reduced..

I just hav a small doubt y ws he describing the jewels n servants etc b4 staking them? Does it not mean boasting abt his wealth?  Sry m not saying he boasted or something bt it s really my genuine doubt..hw shud v interprit that was it that he just got carried away in the game or something ? Someone plz do explain.. :)

Please tell me what makes a person boast!?...a possession, an object that remains under his hold.But who can brag of things he/she is going to lose or give up!?

Yuddhishtir was fully aware of Shakuni's unfair methods and his crooked ways to produce a win before he started to Hastinapur(conversation with Vidura) and he noticed it during the first stake itself.

But you observed him describing the jewels,elephants,servants,soldiers...and he was ready to give them away!How!?

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Another view

Perhaps Yuddhishtir didn't give such an extensive description.Reason he was tyaga - unloving to worldly things.Do you think he would have spared a second for observing all that material!?

But how did all these accounts arise?

I'll take Ved Vyas' name.

Why did he do so?

He wanted the seekers to learn that  there lived Mahatmas who were ready to give up such 'great alluring wealth'.

mythili2 thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 2

Please tell me what makes a person boast!?...a possession, an object that remains under his hold.But who can brag of things he/she is going to lose or give up!?

Yuddhishtir was fully aware of Shakuni's unfair methods and his crooked ways to produce a win before he started to Hastinapur(conversation with Vidura) and he noticed it during the first stake itself.

But you observed him describing the jewels,elephants,servants,soldiers...and he was ready to give them away!How!?

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Another view

Perhaps Yuddhishtir didn't give such an extensive description.Reason he was tyaga - unloving to worldly things.Do you think he would have spared a second for observing all that material!?

But how did all these accounts arise?

I'll take Ved Vyas' name.

Why did he do so?

He wanted the seekers to learn that  there lived Mahatmas who were ready to give up such 'great alluring wealth'.

you are awesome at analysing things β­οΈ.. i too felt yudistir given the way he was wud hav described so much abt the wealth etc but as it was written so was confused..bt wat you said sounds more appropriate that rishi vyas wanted to teach us..
thank youπŸ˜ƒ
and i think u shud make a topic analysisng all the characters..would love to read itπŸ˜ƒ
Edited by mythili2 - 10 years ago
chirpy_life19 thumbnail

@ Sruja

I read both your posts.All I can say is your views are factual!πŸ‘πŸ‘

I was upset reading the actions of one of my fav. character(I fell for the name Dharm Raj),later confused with his popular names Dharma,Ajatasatru etc. but now I get a wide picture and I'm feeling very happy and light!⭐️

And I have few more doubts.I'll be glad if you clear them for me!😳
smrth thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail

Yudhishthira stands for duty and righteousness. He is also known as Dharmaraja, and he is the son of the god Dharma.His character unveiling in the 'Great Epic' is slow but steady!Just like the chakras of body right from Mooladhara begin with a 4 petal lotus but end with a 1000 petal lotus his identity becomes strong and powerful in the later parvas.So was the effect absent in the beginning!?No!It was present all the time and everywhere but can be sensed only if the seeker is focussed in right angles.

Yudhishtira is often referred to as 'Ajatasatru', one who has no enemies.His other name 'Tyaga' (Unloving to wordly things).These names have to play a key role in interpreting his actions during the dice game.

Now please tell me can a person who can never keep enemity with anyone outside think of rivalry with his own relations!???From where do competition and opposition arise!???How do these 'yours' and 'mine' occur!???

Whom can you give everything you possess?Ofcourse the one you consider your 'own'!Yuddhishtir considered all the Kauravas,their elders & relations his own,was this his fault!????How can this trait be 'Adharma'!???

Many members critisised him saying 'Yuddhishtir staked everything including his brothers and wife as a commodity' to this I'll say, definitions may differ, people's thoughts may be narrow while interpreting, but the truth remains unchanged and only the right view can lead you to the real.

Suppose you had to play dice with your own parents and siblings at your home.What do you do!?How do you react!?Just think for a moment!

Yuddhishtir staked his wealth...because he believed that his wealth is his brothers also.Who can say all this is ours!?

Yuddhistir staked his Kingdom...a king's subjects will bear the same recognition (as People- Praja)for his wife,brothers and children.So does pawning them make any difference!?

Yuddhishtir staked his Pandava Brothers...because he knew that his siblings were brothers of Kauravas also.

Yuddhishtir staked his wife...wasn't she related to Kauravas!?As said by Shri Ram a elder brother's wife is deemed to be a mother and the younger brother's wife is like a daughter.(posted in detail by Cool-n-Fresh)Yuddhshtir didn't stake her as a 'commodity'.He very well knew that his wife was like a mother to Kauravas so by staking her neither she becomes their slave nor her relationship with him gets abolished.

But they!?Insulted their mother by dragging her and pulling her cloth!!What name can be given to such...!!!It was a 'big shame' on their part!

Being Dharma Yuddhishtir very well knew what belongs to him belongs to them and what belongs to them is his.How can someone establish such a relation unless he/she is a true companion!?I salute to this attribute of Yuddhishtir!

The second one is 'Tyaga'.

Yuddhishtir by this act teaches us that wealth and prosperity are transient and the body is subject to decay and death.Knowing this, he did his duty, leaving all attachment to the things of this world and next.

Amazing post and angle. The way you described Yudhishthir's evolvement as character is a novel way to look at.

But pardon my thickness. I fail to understand the rationale. Let me clarify. I am not disliking Yudhishthir. The virtues and qualities that you attributed to him have always been noticed and admired. His encounter with Yaksha and wisdom displayed there was worth mention and admiration. That said, his actions on these two particular events we are discussing, are liable to censure. The misgivings are these;
      1) How could an act of gambling- one verified vice and resulting out of a self described weakness- be transposed into a 'knowing sacrifice'? How does it become less of an evil if played within relations (parents?! How was Dhrutrashtra connived- even if he 'invited'? He was playing against Shakuni a known baiter and Duryodhan a known murderer)? You say, Yudhishthir rose above those patty animosity. He was Ajatshatru. Does it permit discard of a discreet restrain? The lessons painfully learnt years after years- including three assassination attempts? Would forgiveness permit repeated offences. For that matter, could any vice be permitted in practice if the partakers are relations??!

2) Even more confusing, by what stretch of imagination or angle can we transpose intent and intense staking into an act of 'Tyag'? What was the compulsion? Why was he increasing the stake? To give away? Then why not renounce the claims straight away? But what is the 'stake'; the intent- to regain everything that was lost. 

3) And what was he 'giving away' in later stakes? Can one 'give away' welfare, safety and freedom of other humans? Can one imperil them into 'bondage' merely because they have disposed their allegiance to him? In this case, to the very persons who have harmed them with known attempts of assassination and with continued caprice; He knows opponents are winning with 'unfair' means after which, should extension of 'brotherhood share'- because he has no animosity- still applicable? What about his duty towards those who are staked? Can we construe family's exposure to a probable annihilation as 'tyag'. Even if he was ready out of 'detachment', were others?? 

4) Lastly, if now pointed as 'demonstration of perils of a vice' by Vyas through this 'act', then dislike is for the 'act' only. Sorry for discordant note.

Edited by smrth - 10 years ago
Sea-Hawk thumbnail
Being a king he staked his country
Being a big bro he staked his brothers
Being a husband he staked his wife 
Being a brother & husband never looked back to his brothers & wife falling behind him what mattered to him was reaching to heaven alive! 

This is enough to judge him .. at least for me 
Cotswolds thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail + 2
Sayanee, smrth
Both have excellent points. Urmila11 posed some valid points in the beginning which made me condone some of his acts.. But your points are equally valid.
And saying that it was a bet within relation is twisting entire situation.
Medha.S thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 2
Originally posted by: Rushika

hawww u meant that I am shakuni πŸ˜­ That's so rude of u πŸ˜­ The trend sounds interesting u c...either I will b blocked or banished from twitter...n Shaheer will kill me if even by mistakenly it trends as he loves Rohit. ..Dharmasankat for me πŸ˜­

I meant no such thing Mam. I will not do that to you ... what even gave you the idea??

Into the Discussion, i think that the only thing Yudhishtira was lacking in, and should have learned was how to say "NO" without always caring about hurting the feelings of his so called 'relatives' and worrying about increasing hatred among them, when it is quite clear that both sides have to meet in the middle or trying balancing a situation really doesnt work.The opposite side is going " We Want War, one way or another". In that situation, the opposite side having the mentality of "Avoiding War In Every Way Possible" is useless, anyway.
Wistfulness thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail + 7
The points stated in Yudhisthira's defense as well as accusation are well expressed. So I'm neutral...but I admit my views have changed a bit, after observing the defensive points.
...Diala... thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 2

Whom can you give everything you possess? Ofcourse the one you consider your 'own'! Yuddhishtir considered all the Kauravas,their elders & relations his own,was this his fault!???? How can this trait be 'Adharma'!??? Suppose you had to play dice with your own parents and siblings at your home.What do you do!?How do you react!?Just think for a moment!

<    >

The second one is 'Tyaga'. Yuddhishtir by this act teaches us that wealth and prosperity are transient and the body is subject to decay and death.Knowing this, he did his duty, leaving all attachment to the things of this world and next.

SRUJAconscience

Like anyonelse I am much glad to see these explanations that you have given to have a look at Yudishtar from a different angle and it was a pleasure to read.. He is indeed Dharmaraja I have no objection in accepting. However I disagree with you because this extremely contradicts what I read in the text.

We discussed
in the same thread with citations from the Bakasura episode that Yudishtar never thought of being a Tyagi. He did want to take back the Kingdom and wealth of Duryodhan for which he depended on Bhima. So he being a Tyagi is ruled out completely from what I read from there.

Saying that he considered this purely as a leisure time play with the ones he considered brothers and family members might seem appealing, emotional and applaud-able if we are talking about a novel written on him.. But this view of him is absolutely not acceptable and contradicts the text again.

This might sound unbelievable but this is the fact straight from the horses mouth not the POV of anyone else. Check the citation below. Yudishtar decided to play the game with the motive of winning Duryodhan's kingdom. The same motive that the adharmic Duryodhan had. If Dharmaraja also wished this then I could only say Duryodhan was equally dharmic in desiring Yudhishtar's kingdom. IMO, had Yudishtar won, things would have been a little better i.e the last part of the dice hall episode might have not happened.

Having said these, I repeat that these are not complaints I have against him. These are very much his attributes that I can very well accept from a Dharmic King. The ever annoying and weak image of Yudishtar that I used to have is no more. Hope this helps

[quote] Vanaparva SECTION XXXIV

Vaisampayana said, "Thus addressed by Bhimasena, the high-souled king Ajatasatru firmly devoted to truth, mustering his patience, after a few moments said these words, 'No doubt, O Bharata, all this is true. I cannot reproach thee for thy torturing me thus by piercing me with thy arrowy words. From my folly alone hath this calamity come against you. I sought to cast the dice desiring to snatch from Dhritarashtra's son his kingdom with the sovereignty. It was therefore that, that cunning gambler--Suvala's son--played against me on behalf of Suyodhana. Sakuni, a native of the hilly country, is exceedingly artful. Casting the dice in the presence of the assembly, unacquainted as I am with artifices of any kind, he vanquished me artfully."
[/quote]
Edited by ...Diala... - 10 years ago