Debate Mansion

America - the best place in the world?

bubble_gum thumbnail
Posted: 17 years ago

Do you think America is the best country in the world. Or the worst?

Why America is good?

Well, because of the films and songs that entertain us. And bcos of ppl like Oprah and Bill Gates who did things that affected the whole word (like making us able to create this forum and donating to the poor). And it's a free country too. But I can't think of anymore.

Why America is not good?

If we need the blame a place that encourages like smoking young, drugs, eating disorders, bad politics, discrimination between cool ppl and nerds, living together, eloping and many other things, we would blame America for it. Although it starts in other country, America is where a lot of divorces, rapes, etc. occur.

Ppl in India have started following the American culture. I'm not saying it's a bad thing. Following fashion trends is no problem but the above-mentioned stuff is what really gets me.

What are ur views?

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Minnie thumbnail
Anniversary 19 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 4
Originally posted by: abhijit shukla

Unless you are born in USA, America is the second best place to live. The best of course the birthplace.
There is no such thing as Utopia...the ones that seem like it are on paper or on screen closed to others (In Switzerland if you want to buy a house, town takes an up-or-down vote before you are alllowed - so I have heard.)
America is really most accepting of foriegners among all countries (even thought there might be a glass celing). There is true freedom of speach, worship and life. America promises life, liberty and persuit of happiness. Remember it promises peruit of happiness, not happiness itself. Finding it is your own responsibility - here or anywhere else on the planet.
Yes America has its own faults and some responsibility in allowing others to be miserable. But in misery of any other countries, that perticular country and its people are the primary responsibile party For example, if in spite of having recieved the most per capita foriegn aid over our life-time, Palestine is a country in dumps, it is because they spend that money on funding suicide bobers and socialite lifestyle (in Paris) of trophy wives of goons like Arafat which would be a far cry even for the rich in USA.
I sometimes wonder if I should have migrated from India, but having made that decision I am absolutely sure that I migrated to the right country out of the other  192.
I would not think of migrating any other country from here (except India of course).

👏👏👏 very well said Abhiji. I whole heartedly agree with you.

Surprising as it may sound, but America DOES not encourage any of these. In fact if there is any country where emphasis is laid on good behaviour, it's US. Right from the day a child starts school, they are franly educated in a very graphic way about the horrors of drugs and liqours. Whether kids finally learn it or not depend on a lot of factors. Bad kids are there in all cultures. Look at the sons of the policticains from the north India. Even without the influence of the west, 90 % of the rich people kids are regular scoundrels thriving on lawlessness and indiluted heady power.

In UK, the incidence of divorce, separation and drugs are at least 40% higher than that in US. A close friend of mine is from UK, and she says she grew up in a community where 90% of her class mates belonged to broken homes. She is in her late thirties. And she was so surprised to see the family values and close knit ties of this part of America. I agree that there are parts of US which are badly affected by some of the liberal policies, but not all.

In US, any person running fro an office simply cannot have any tarnish on his image as a family person. A divorce, a bad lawsuit, even a whim of wayward behaviour going right back to college days can prove fatal for that person's political career. It does not mean that those men are always pristine, I am mentioning this to emphasise how much stress is given on the right values.

Plus, I as a person feel safe on the streets of US. I even know exactly which areas I can go safely out and which areas to avoid. If I am going out of station, and I inform the police of my vacation, the police patrols my neighbourhood a few extra times to ensure everything is fine.

Bad things happen in all societies. In US, it gets reported better, far more in detail than in any other part in the world.

There must be better countries out there, but would they be as welcoming to to everyone on planet as US is ?

Edited by Minnie - 17 years ago

Aparna_BD thumbnail
We talk of brain drain ...............we have brain gain !! People from the West are returning to India, as India has a lot more to offer to proffesionals than it did 25 years ago. Read this interesting article!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/south_asia/5290494.stmEdited by Aparna_BD - 17 years ago
RandomSquared thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 3
America for me is the best place to live. Maybe its because I was born and brought up here, but thats want I think. See, I really dont care about the government, in the sense that my life hasnt changed much ever since Bush became president. The wars really arent making a difference in my life. Im a simple girl, who's able to go to school and not be discriminated, Im able to do everything like everyone else. I think when you think about the simple preople living here, were all united...yes there are some exceptions, but im talking in general. I dont want to be mean, but htink honestly, If a September 11 happened in bangladesh (since thats were Im fron), would people be able to walk as freely as they are here in US? America is a mutli-cultural place, so yes, the way people think here and the way people may think in India may be different. America doesnt encourages rapes or divorces, these things just happen. Rapes happen everywhere, and divorces is everyones personal business.You shouldnt blame a country for someones screw ups in his or her marriage. I think, since I've only seen how a few counties work, in US i think a middle class person and a rich person, can enjoy alomost the same things. A family in really bad shape can still send there kids to good schools and colleges...because this county provides ways for them. America for me is the best place to live. I think people or the rest of the world just expects America to be perfect, so when the government here screws up, everyone goes crazy blaming the country and its people. I hate it when my elder relayives talk shit about America, I pnce told ym Uncle, thayt if he hates this country so much, why doesnt he go back to bangladesh? He didnt answer back, I know no matter how much crap they say abput this country, they wont leave, because inside they know this is the best place to live.
Aparna_BD thumbnail
Originally posted by: Desi Pride

I hate it when my elder relayives talk shit about America, I pnce told ym Uncle, thayt if he hates this country so much, why doesnt he go back to bangladesh? He didnt answer back, I know no matter how much crap they say abput this country, they wont leave, because inside they know this is the best place to live.

Its not just Uncles and Aunties but second gen kids like you who talk ill of the Country they live- especially UK and US. They haven't even lived any where else funnily. If you read old posts you will know what i mean.

Desi pride i must say i am impressed by your maturity, you are proud of Bangladesh( as per your ID) and love the country you live in !

I would say the same to any one who has issues with US or UK and lives there but HATES it so bad," Go back to your home country ! US didn't beg you to live here . Infact it was you or your family who stood in long cues in the American Embassy in your home country and told the Immigration officer why you wanted to migrate to America" . And now all you do is curse it!!😕
Edited by Aparna_BD - 17 years ago
RandomSquared thumbnail

Originally posted by: Aparna_BD

Its not just Uncles and Aunties but second gen kids like you who talk ill of the Country they live- especially UK and US. They haven't even lived any where else funnily. If you read old posts you will know what i mean.

Desi pride i must say i am impressed by your maturity, you are proud of Bangladesh( as per your ID) and love the country you live in !

I would say the same to any one who has issues with US or UK and lives there but HATES it so bad," Go back to your home country ! US didn't beg you to live here . Infact it was you or your family who stood in long cues in the American Embassy in your home country and told the Immigration officer why you wanted to migrate to America" . And now all you do is curse it!!😕

exactly, i mean, i noe so many ppl hu came here illegally, and did so much to cum to America, and now there all like "Oh this country this, this coutry that"...i jus wanna b like, dude no one asked u to live here...😆 lolz thnax, im 100% proud of what I am. I remember when I went to bangladesh this year, someone asked me if I was American or Banglali, I just asked "Why cant I be both?"...its dat simple.

RandomSquared thumbnail

Agree with you but would have phrased the fist sentence differently.

sorry....

Aparna_BD thumbnail
Originally posted by: Mrs. Riva Shah

well all humanbeing are not same guys. Some born in a country or a foreigner. He will like only if it satisfies his/her requirements or what he/she wants from it. 😊

Mrs.Riva Shah ,U.S is a democracy , one is free to leave if one has issues and feel some other country will give you a better life.
Pradarshak thumbnail
As an Indian I feel I am in the best place in this world after my homeland. It's just that all the time I might not feel that degree of mental comfort which I would have felt in my homeland. But truly speaking, living here has surpassed many of the things(if not all) about living in India.

Every country has it's own social and political problems. When it comes to me, I don't think the problems here affect me or my close ones yet in a huge way. No where in the world is guaranteed to be the safest. At least I don't feel threatened by my neighbouring countries, or get scared to go in a crowded-busy place.(I am not saying that US is not prone to such things, but the system here is far more alert and active, so is dependable). I am not living in fear of getting kicked out of my job or that country like many Indians who live outside India in the middle-east or other south asian countries.

The weather and communication system is the best thing here. You are offered best of the best from all over the world. Meet so many people from all over the world. Live a king-size life, have a job satisfaction. What else can you ask for?
Minnie thumbnail
Anniversary 19 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 4
Originally posted by: Desi Pride

exactly, i mean, i noe so many ppl hu came here illegally, and did so much to cum to America, and now there all like "Oh this country this, this coutry that"...i jus wanna b like, dude no one asked u to live here...😆 lolz thnax, im 100% proud of what I am. I remember when I went to bangladesh this year, someone asked me if I was American or Banglali, I just asked "Why cant I be both?"...its dat simple.

Brilliant !!!! I am so very surprised and happy at the level of maturity you have !!!

You have written word by word of what I feel too.

I too really talk bad about their adopted country, the same way I feel bad when someone talks ill of India. Knowing and discussing the ills of a society is not the same as being mean to the whole country.