Q&A on Islam & Muslim Culture-DISCUSS HERE ONLY - DT Note pg7

ZAHARA. thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 4
Posted: 10 years ago
Hi! Making this post because there's a lot of confusion and people are not sure about some of the Muslim cultures/beliefs whatever you want to call it. Some have been answered around the forum but hopefully I'll be able to answer any other questions there are. 

I'm a British Muslim so my answers may vary from what others think based on where they are from but I'll try to answer it as properly as I can.

Marriage Laws in Islam
Speaking from an Islamic point of view (that is without a specific country law) - men are allowed to marry up to 4 wives at the same time, whilst a woman can only be married to ONE man (though if she wishes to marry someone else, she must divorce her husband - or else called 'talaq' and then be able to marry someone else). From what I know about men have more than one wife, it's acceptable IF he is able to support them both financially, and more importantly the first wife MUST give her consent before he marries another. 

Men are allowed to marry Muslims or people from the book ie, Jews & Christians whilst women are only allowed to marry other Muslims. 

The marriage is called 'Nikah' and is a legal contract that must be signed in the presence of two witnesses. The bride also has a person acting as her 'Wali' which is like a guardian, it is usually her father but can be other male members if there is no father. At the time of the Nikah the bride is given something called a 'Mahr' which is usually some money or property/possession from the groom that legally becomes hers. The mahr is an Islamic tradition that must be paid and though there isn't specifically a concept for 'dowry', some families give payment to the groom's family from the bride's family - from what I know this is not an Islamic practice but it's become a part of the culture for some people. 

I hope that made sense even though it was brief but let me know if there are still some things you don't understand or have any other questions & I'll do my best to answer them :]

TERMINOLOGY:

Differences between "Api and Baaji" & "Bi and Khala":
Originally posted by: ChemistryMajor

Yep, "appie" and "baaji" are both for older sisters, so like "didi". There's no difference between the two. Both are used commonly. My little cousins call me both appi and baaji.

There's also a slight variation of appie called aapi (long a sound).

"Khala" refers to mom's sister (mausi in hindi I believe). As far as "bi" is concerned, if you're talking about the "bi" that sounds like bee (honeybeee ðŸ˜†), then I think that's said as a term of respect for usually an older woman. People often also use it for grandmothers or any woman who holds a place of high respect. 

Originally posted by: HeavenlyBliss.

I think 'Aapi' is a more respectful term than 'baji', you may use it for an older sister who is more older such as 5 years and baji for a sister who is not very much older than you such as 1 or 2 years. But it doesn't really matter, you can use any of the terms to refer to an older sister :)

What is the Azaan?

Originally posted by: PrincessN

Azaan or Adhan is called out by a muazzinn (person who recites the Azaan)  from the Mashjidfive times a day, summoning muslims for mandatory Namaz..

Edited by ZAHARA. - 10 years ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

ZAHARA. thumbnail
Questions & Answers:

The husband taking on another wife:
Originally posted by: Leviathan

As far as i know the husband MUST have a justified reason for taking another wife, not because he wants another wife.  For example he is marrying a widowed woman, or someone of financial need, he is marrying as is first wife is on able to have a male heir.  The husband MUST give equal importance to all his wives and cannot have preferences.

It is not like that a man can marry a second wife (even a widow or any needy one!!) without permission of first wife.. In every case consent of first wife is a  must...
But this consent may be waived or not considered as mandatory in cases where the wife is suffering from barrenness or perpetual illness or unsuitability for cohabitation.
In case of second marriage by her husband, the first wife may stipulate on her KABINNAMA that in case of second marriage without her consent, she can exercise her right of delegated divorce. A subsequent marriage entitles first wife to live seperate from her husband,and proper maintenance and also such a bigamy is a valid defence against a decree by her husband for restitution of conjugal rights, she may refuse cohabitation with him.

umm.. actually not like that..!!! she cannot say like "U can never marry a second wife..!!"
Her right is like this- If her husband marries for the second time she can stipulate her right to delegated legislation, she can demand seperation and maintenannce of her and her children and she can also claim Deferred Dower.
Besides In Pakistan and Bangladesh(dont know about India), we have our national legislation and a man who contracts another marriage without permission, 

(a)shall pay immediately the amount of dower, whether prompt or deferred and,

(b)  on conviction upon complaint be punishable with simple imprisonment which may extend to one year or with fine which may extend to 5000/- or with both.

As far I know.. Sharia law never  insist upon the consent of first wife...

U can see Koran IV: 4,
"Marry such women as seem good to you,two, three or four; but if you fear that you cannot do justice (between them) then marry only one- this is better so that you may not deviate from the right path."

Koran V : 4
"And it is not your power to do justice between wives, even though yo may covet it; but keep yourself not aloof from one with total aversion, nor leave her like one in suspense..."

But later some  reforms were adopted in various countries legislation, and many west Asian countries, Pakistan, India and Bangladesh also have adopted some reforms. and now consent of first wife is a must..

As I have already said; Shariah Law never insist on this point. The only criteria under Shariah law is If a man thinks that he will be able to do justice between them, he can marry for the four times; keeping in mind the prohibited rules of Affinity, Consanguinity and fosterage.
But now many Muslim countries have adopted some reforms and Now for marrying second time Y must take permission from your first wife, show it to the Arbitration Council, and if they found the reasons justified and first wife's consent is a free one , then only he can go for second marriage.
But in certain cases, like wife's barrenness, or mental or physical (perpetual) instability (to cohabitation) he can go directly to the Arbitration Council. Think if wife is not mentally sound , how  she can give  a permission. 
This is present Condition in Bangladesh, and most probably in Pakistan too. and I am not sure about India, Middle East and West Asian countries.

Originally posted by: BabyStone

Islamically speaking I don't think I man can marry another women without the first wife's consent. But if a man does marry another women he is obligated to provide for all of them equally, therefore he must be financially stable or it can be considered a sin because of the hardships the wife or wives man endure because of the husbands unnecessary willingness to have multiple wives.

While I must admit that this probably isn't right, I'm sure it happens in Islamic countries, especially in those where women are suppressed like Afghanistan or Iraq etc.. I've seen it in countless documentaries and interviews. 

The Dargah in Islam

Shi'a and Sunni (and Sufism)

Originally posted by: imli123

Sunni is a Muslim sectarian group. Most Muslims around the world are Sunnis. The other prominent group is Shiite. The difference here stems from who you believe was the rightful Caliph (religious ruler) after the Prophet's (Peace be upon him) demise. 

The question of parda can be debatable. Some scholars will suggest it's sunnah (recommended) while others fards (mandatory). Regardless, women are expected to remain modest in front of unknown men. Ofcourse with the onset of modernism, what defines a woman who is modest can be debated as well. 

There is no 'religious' day of the week in Islam, but on Fridays Jummah (congregational) prayers are held at the mosque. 

Originally posted by: Leviathan

Muhammad (SAW) didn't appoint a successor when he was alive. Therefore Mohammed (SAW) passed, the people voted Abu Bakr as the first Caliph(successor of Muhammad). A fraction of the people were not in agreement with this decision and therefore they that Ali should have been the Caliph. 

The people that believed Abu Bakr is the rightful first Caliph are Sunni. The ones who believe Ali should have been the first Caliph are Shi'a.

There is however another smaller sect of Islam called Sufism - i dont know much about this sect, but they are more mystical and spiritual in nature.

To Muslims - all days should be religious for us, all days are the same, however going to Friday Jummah is recommended - Adom was created on this day, he was banished from Paradise on this day, and it is also stated that we will on be resurrected on this day as well.

Other religious periods of the year is Ramadhan, Eid Ul Fitr and Eid Ul Adha

Divorce (Talaq)

Originally posted by: ZAHARA.

It's "Talaq" three times, but I think these days it's not used as anyone can say it just like that & these days legal documents are made to show the proof of marriage. To break this one would need to divorce legally than simply say the words. 

From what I know, both men and women can ask for a divorce if it's within valid reason like marital problems, not divorcing for the sake of divorcing. Not sure about the witness but maybe someone else can answer. Also, taking a divorce takes time because once you are divorced you CANNOT get married to the same person again in Islam unless you have married someone else.

For example;

if a woman married a man (b), they then divorced and then after the girl and b want to get married again, they can't. The woman would need to marry another man (c), divorce him in order to marry the first guy. It's complicated as to stop people from divorcing & marrying for the sake of it. 

Edited by ZAHARA. - 10 years ago
Batameez. thumbnail
Much needed!  I can answer few if you are unavailable ðŸ˜†

ZAHARA. thumbnail
Originally posted by: Batameez.

Much needed!  I can answer few if you are unavailable ðŸ˜†

That's absolutely fine!

Hopefully it will begin to make sense :)

noor321 thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
Yeah if anyone asks anything, I can answer some questions as well. 
Ani---Anisah thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail
Am a Muslim so I can answer some questions if anyone needs to know😃
ZAHARA. thumbnail
Keeping the second post as a content file for all the questions & answers :-) Edited by ZAHARA. - 10 years ago
TeriMalang thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail + 7
i can be a help to answer any questions :-)
.Prometheus. thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 8 Thumbnail + 6
As far as i know the husband MUST have a justified reason for taking another wife, not because he wants another wife.  For example he is marrying a widowed woman, or someone of financial need, he is marrying as is first wife is on able to have a male heir.  The husband MUST give equal importance to all his wives and cannot have preferences.
Warriorhigh thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
Even i'm muslim so i can help too if needed! :)