Akbar's Navratna

Amor. thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 5
Posted: 10 years ago
Navaratnas Nauratan (Sanskrit dvigu nava-ratna- or "nine gems") was a term applied to a group of nine extraordinary people in an emperor's court in India. Some well-known groups are in the Raaj Sabha (court) of King Janaka, Emperor Vikramaditya and in Emperor Akbar's darbar.

The Mughal ruler Akbar, despite his illiteracy, was a great lover of the artists and intellectuals. His passion for knowledge and interest in learning from great minds led him to attract men of genius to his court, known as the nine courtiers of Emperor Akbar or Navratnas:

Abul-Fazl
    Faizi
    Raja Man Singh
    Miyan Tansen
    Raja Todar Mal
    Abdul Rahim Khan-I-Khana
    Fakir Aziao-Din
    Mullah Do Piaza
    Raja Birbal

Abul-Fazel

Was the vizier of Akbar, and author of the Akbarnama, the official history of Akbar's reign in three volumes, the third volume is known as the Ain-i-Akbari and a Persian translation of the Bible [14]. He was also the brother of Faizi, the poet laureate of Emperor Akbar

Faizi

Was the poet laureate of Akbar's Court. He was the brother of Akbar's historian Abul Fazl. He composed beautiful poetry in Persian and is estimated by his contemporaries to have composed nearly 100 poetic works. Akbar highly recognized the genius in him and appointed him teacher for his son and gave place to him among his decorative 'Nav Ratnas'

Miyan Tansen

Was a musician in Akbar's court and is considered among the greatest composer-musicians in Hindustani classical music. He was an extraordinarily gifted vocalist, known for a large number of compositions, and also an instrumentalist who popularized and improved the rabab (of Central Asian origin). He was also a knower of Megh Raag (Raag which on singing brings rain) and Deepak Raag (Raag which on singing enlightens lamps)

Birbal

Was the Grand Vizier (Wazr-e Azam) of the Mughal court in the administration of Akbar and one of his most trusted members. He was the only person other than Akbar who was a Din-i-Ilahi believer. Birbal's duties in Akbar's court were mostly military and administrative but he was also a very close friend of the emperor, who liked Birbal most for his wit and wisdom, as a result of which they frequently had witty and humorous exchanges between them. These exchanges and stories have become part of a rich tradition of folklore and legend

Raja Todar Mal

Rose to become the Finance Minister in Akbar's Darbar. Todar Mal overhauled the revenue system of Akbar's Mughal Empire. He was from the Khatri (or Khattri/Khattree) community of Punjab. Todar Mal had developed his expertise in Sher Shah's employment

Raja Man Singh

Was the Kacchwaha Rajah of Amber, a state later known as Jaipur. He was a trusted general in Akbar's army

Abdur Rahim Khan-I-Khana

Was a poet in Akbar's darbar, and one of his main nine ministers (Diwan)in his court, also known as the Navaratnas; he is most known for his Hindi couplets and his books on Astrology. The village of Khankhana, named after him, is located in the Nawanshahr district of the state of Punjab in northwest India

Fakir Aziao-Din

Faqir means Sage or Ascetic in Urdu. He was one of Akbar's chief advisors, and belonged to his inner circle. Akbar regarded his advice in high esteem

Mullah Do Piaza

Was among the Mughal emperor Akbar's chief advisors. Akbar regarded his advice in high esteem and included him among the nine gems of the Mughal court, or Navratnas, as he was known for his intelligence. He was a close competition to Birbal, but he always lost at the end

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

nisha26 thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail
thank u so much for postn khushi!!!
among all my fav is birbal.. thr wer only two followrs of din e ilahi??? dint knew of it..

sab ratnas to nai dikhaenge na.. mko inh bi dekhna hai show me Mullah Do Piaza, Faizi

pallavi003 thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail
wow..it's just awesome work, and special mention the pics..πŸ‘..anyway you should send a copy of this to Cvs so that they further correctly portrait the characters of nine gems unlike pandu ji..🀒
Tohru thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 3
thank you so much for such a informative & beautiful post πŸ‘πŸΌ
ghalibmirza thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 4
excellent postπŸ‘πŸΌ...remember reading in history books! i hope they do show birbal soon and bring back tansen(a polished version i hopeπŸ˜†)
ngayou thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail
Wowww, thanks so much for sharing 😊
jodah thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
thanks very informative 
Amor. thumbnail

Originally posted by: nisha26

thank u so much for postn khushi!!!

among all my fav is birbal.. thr wer only two followrs of din e ilahi??? dint knew of it..

sab ratnas to nai dikhaenge na.. mko inh bi dekhna hai show me Mullah Do Piaza, Faizi

i dnt think sabko dikhayenge but 3 to dikh hi gyi apne rahim miyan, maan singh n pandey ji m waiting for birbal n todar mal unhe dikhana padega
Amor. thumbnail

Originally posted by: pallavi003

wow..it's just awesome work, and special mention the pics..πŸ‘..anyway you should send a copy of this to Cvs so that they further correctly portrait the characters of nine gems unlike pandu ji..🀒

thnx are unko bhej k bhi kuch nhi hoga vo voi dikhayenge jo dikhana chahte h
Amor. thumbnail

Originally posted by: Tohru

thank you so much for such a informative & beautiful post πŸ‘πŸΌ

thnx for commenting 😊