Is the show mocking tamil culture?

Posted: 10 years ago
I caught a glimpse of this show not even for five minutes and I forced to change the channel. 
Why is that tamilians are always stereotyped in a comic way? Divyanka does not look tamilian. Her mother seems as if she mocks South Indians. Her language and accent is hideous! Nothing like tamil in real but more of mocking?

I totally blame the execution of the script. I find a lack of adequate research on tamil language, culture, dressing and proper implementation. Whoever on the creative team, are totally unprofessionals!

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

_mahi_ thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 6
They always end up mocking Punjabis too.. They were showing Bhangra guyz with Khanda (religious symbol of Sikhism) at the back of their outfits, dancing at Jagraata..
Sikhs were dancing for what Hindus do? 
Thats totally insane.. and I too agree that whoever is in the creative team, hasn't been doing a good job in researching about different cultures and their traditions..
RamanIshita thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail Fascinator 1 Thumbnail
Not just tamil culture but many cultures have been portrayed in a comic way which is far from reality for ages in indian cinema (also internationally). Unfortunately racial humor tends to be most appealing to audiences of comedy and many cultures like chinese, black, and in india punjabis, tamils, gujratis have been used as part of this humor. 
But its just for the purpose for entertainment and us complaining about it will not stop it. So it's better to switch the channel and watch something that doesn't offend us. ðŸ˜³
RamanIshita thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail Fascinator 1 Thumbnail

Originally posted by: _mahi_

They always end up mocking Punjabis too.. They were showing Bhangra guyz with Khanda (religious symbol of Sikhism) at the back of their outfits, dancing at Jagraata..

Sikhs were dancing for what Hindus do? 
Thats totally insane.. and I too agree that whoever is in the creative team, hasn't been doing a good job in researching about different cultures and their traditions..

You took the words right out of my mouth. I completely agree that punjabi culture is also portrayed incorrectly, while in punjabi movies its glorified and portrayed with pride. 

This is just common practice in the entertainment industry. I'm not a sensitive person so this stuff doesn't affect me at all. It's better to enjoy the show for its essence and ignore this stuff. 
Vell thumbnail
I agree...
I enjoy this show but, really don't understand what she is saying in tamil. Most of the time it sounds like or has a very bad finish.
It looks like she is making fun of tamil people.
She should speak hindi or tamil ( one with accent and other one should be natural. ) both with bad accent come on...
When they can find a punjabi actress to do a punjabi mother, they should find a tamil actress to do the tamil mother...
My two cent...
Vell
MeeraHK thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 5
Even i m tamilian..i feel offended at times..but agaoin its entertainement..
even in movies it happens what can we do..

jst ignore...
Krishma042 thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
I am not really sure how tamilians dress, talk etc but if they made Ishita dress, behave, talk like typical tamilians wouldn't that infact be more of the stereotypical portrayal ?
Also, I may be wrong, but mostly from whatever shows or movies I have watched, they usually show the gujuratis or the punjabis in a comic way and the tamilians as the serious types.
I agree on the mom though, she does go ott sometimes.
VIMAL.SM thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 4
Agree with you completely .At least they can work on the tamil diction .
I am also tamilian . I just ignore it.We can't do anything . 
VIMAL.SM thumbnail

Originally posted by: Vell

I agree...

I enjoy this show but, really don't understand what she is saying in tamil. Most of the time it sounds like or has a very bad finish.
It looks like she is making fun of tamil people.
She should speak hindi or tamil ( one with accent and other one should be natural. ) both with bad accent come on...
When they can find a punjabi actress to do a punjabi mother, they should find a tamil actress to do the tamil mother...
My two cent...
Vell

The actress who play Raman mom is muslim.But she acts perfectly as a punjabi women.Same cannot be said to the actress who play Ishita mom. Her tamil diction is not good .Being Tamilian I sometimes don't understand what she speak in Tamil . 
VIMAL.SM thumbnail

Originally posted by: Krishma042

I am not really sure how tamilians dress, talk etc but if they made Ishita dress, behave, talk like typical tamilians wouldn't that infact be more of the stereotypical portrayal ?
Also, I may be wrong, but mostly from whatever shows or movies I have watched, they usually show the gujuratis or the punjabis in a comic way and the tamilians as the serious types.
I agree on the mom though, she does go ott sometimes.

There is no particular dress type for Tamil brahmin girls  .All dress up according to the current trend . I don't any problem with Ishita character sketch. Some Tamilians who live in  abroad don't speak Tamil.

My problem is with Ishita mom.Better she speak in Hindi .Because she is killing Tamil language .Her pronunciation is not good .Some time I wonder what Tamil word she spoke.