Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Saima-Syed thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 4
Posted: 9 years ago
Thank you so much for joining in this discussion, it is so good to hear the views of parents and young ones alike. 

What is so good that you have shared you personal experiences, which goes to show how real and serious the issues related to social networking are.

As parent we can only educate our children and trust them to do the right thing as anything else in life.

My advice to our young girls is to be responsible, if there is an age limit for something it is for good reason. You are responsible for your own safety too. Never expose yourself and never let your guard down.

There always needs to be a balance in everything we do, it is good to open up the gates of free communication with your children, befriend them in a manner where they are able to come forward and discuss anything they wish to but it is also important to main the authoritative line that says I am still your parent and you are still my child.

I don't think anyone is truly ignorant of the dangers that loom but it's always a matter of 'it won't happen to me' attitude that sometimes causes problems. The reality is that anything can happen and will happen if you do not safeguard yourself. 

It would be unfair to say that everyone sitting on the other side of cyber space is a bad person, no. There are many many good people in the world who connect and come together through the virtual world, you as a responsible young person or adult just have to be a good judge of character.

As someone who works with vulnerable and often troubled children and young people the one thing I would say to parents other than to educate your children is to be vigilant. Changes in behaviour may seem minor and you may blame the stroppy teenage hormones but there is always a reason, no matter how small. Reach out to your children and families and ensure that you are always one step ahead.

asifiqbalsh thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 2
Thanks sis saima to make such a good platform where we can talk what happened in day to day life. I agreed with u as a parents, we should take care of all these stuff. I myself not married yet but a elder brother to my siblings. I always kept an eye on them even sometime that irritates them but they never tell me. I turned on parental control on my all devices, even my uncle home devices as well as he doesn't know how to control it. He said me once & I protected it with password. But sometimes I felt that it is not enough as so many options available especially social network website where you used fake age & your id created.
The only thing as a parents, we can do is to teach our kids what is good for them & what is not. As we are not with them everytime, they should know that if they did something wrong, they will hurt their parents. That feeling stop them to doing wrong.
Thanks once again
Regards
Asif
Saima-Syed thumbnail
Originally posted by: asifiqbalsh

Thanks sis saima to make such a good platform where we can talk what happened in day to day life. I agreed with u as a parents, we should take care of all these stuff. I myself not married yet but a elder brother to my siblings. I always kept an eye on them even sometime that irritates them but they never tell me. I turned on parental control on my all devices, even my uncle home devices as well as he doesn't know how to control it. He said me once & I protected it with password. But sometimes I felt that it is not enough as so many options available especially social network website where you used fake age & your id created.
The only thing as a parents, we can do is to teach our kids what is good for them & what is not. As we are not with them everytime, they should know that if they did something wrong, they will hurt their parents. That feeling stop them to doing wrong.
Thanks once again
Regards
Asif

Hey Asif

Hope you are well, thank you for joining in. It's good to get a male perceptive on this too.

I agree that parental control on devices may not be enough, but at least it is a start.

With the world just a few clocks away it will always be difficult.

They may get irritated but in the long run it's for their own good something they will grow to realise

Best wishes 
Linsie thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 8 Thumbnail + 2
Answer - Agree and must be done...

i personally witness it my young cousin .. using it
and i'm not sure parents aware off it...
and i did not like what i saw...

Must have parents control on this issue
to bring awareness...
raneeb thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 2
Cyber Space -a bane or a boon!

Fantastic topic Vinita and Saima! It really is the need of the hour! Very interesting reading the thoughts of all you young Yummy Mummys!

We must always keep in mind that children come into this world because of us parents and so it is our duty to nurture and guide them to be complete human beings. The only time tested way is through COMMUNICATION. Never loose this most powerful tool for any relationship to prosper specially with children. The temptations are many so a constant dialogue is necessary. As a parent we cant always be physically present but if we develop a sense of responsibility and trust at an early age where the child is always able to talk openly with a parent nothing can go wrong.

A personal example...my son who is now 34 was in Grade 4 --he faked  an illness to bunk school as his two friends were doing the same! When it came to writing the leave application --all I told Ritwik was Child -You do not wish to go to school I accept but dont make me tell lies- the first lie is easy but each subsequent lie becomes more difficult whereas the first truth is difficult but thereafter it becomes easier and easier! and I must always be the first one to know what you are doing--good bad or ugly! My son to date travels wherever we are to inform us  of any new development -- like when he broke up with his first GF or when he began smoking--what ever. Whatever strictures or advice is given must be given in a friendly manner but never in front of his peers or teachers!
Another rule I have followed is never shelter the child from the other parent. Children are very perceptive and learn very early to play one against the other so it is essential to be ONE with them. This was difficult many a times--my son would tell me --why do you have to tell Baba everything? so I explained to him how necessary it is -- us giving a lecture or scolding or the outside world doing so ?

The same guideline applies to cyberspace: be open and keep an eye out for any change of behavior! Answer any question big or small truthfully as it is--children accept the truth even if they do not understand it but if you prevaricate or tell them shall tell you when you are older - you are opening a hornets nest! Their curiosity will get the better of them and they will try to find out by fair means or foul and then hide it from you. Peer pressure is terrible so you must guard against it. Children today have gizmos from an early age so the temptations are many!

You Young Yummy Mummys have an advantage over us because you are by and large techno savvy so use it to your advantage wisely and judiciously. At all times share with your children your thoughts and feelings so they learn at an early age to communicate their feelings and thoughts. Once this trust between Parents and Children is built--the kids will never go wrong!

Best of Luck!

swapno thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 6
The answer is ofcourse...parents need to check.
When I joined here and started to bond with others I was shocked to know that most of them were below 13 years!!!
And I was more shocked when I got to know that many readers read those mature stories were also under-aged. One of them told me that she could not understand the whole process but read them. Because it was there fascination.
It really shook me to the core.
So, I think parents need to check because there is perfect timing for everything. 
Thank you for this wonderful topic...

rajsmi thumbnail
Every generation has it's trying moments with teens and the bad bad world out there but we cannot micro manage our kids, esp when they are in the teenage years. I believe in teaching the right way, showing them the value of material things and making them understand the risks involved in all that they do or attempt in life.
Communication is the key in dealing with kids and letting them trust that you are there for them and should be the first one they run to for answers and solutions. They will take steps and do things that we, as adults may not always agree or like, but letting them walk their journey is the only way. Holding their hand and spoon feeding them or dealing with an iron hand will only ruin their character and not let them grow as they should.

They will make mistakes, stumble and fall sometimes. But, letting them know that it is okay to fall, it is fine to fail, it is normal to not succeed at times is the only way a child will learn to think, act and grow stronger and build character and work hard at what they want to achieve in life.

The internet and social networking sites are unavoidable tools ina kids life these days. Restricting it completely or hovering over them to see what they are doing will only drive them the other way and will hide everything from you, as an adult. Besides, not being a part of something their friends and peers are will begin to affect their self esteem and hurt them in the long run. A healthy relationship with the trend is needed but very often, that can only be achieved with a healthy environment with the adults in a teen or tweens life.

This is my opinion and I live this daily with my 19 year old and 16 year old. I still have my 19 year old conversing with me about almost everything and he asks me for advice when he has friends who need help and are on the brink of ruin. This happened once and I was proud to know that he could ask me for advice and help his friend who eventually came out of it fine! This does not mean we don't have issues. Every once in a while, there is something to rock our boat but isnt that what life is? Why should it be different with a child? Let him or her also learn a few life lessons growing up, right?

raneeb thumbnail
Originally posted by: rajsmi

Every generation has it's trying moments with teens and the bad bad world out there but we cannot micro manage our kids, esp when they are in the teenage years. I believe in teaching the right way, showing them the value of material things and making them understand the risks involved in all that they do or attempt in life.

Communication is the key in dealing with kids and letting them trust that you are there for them and should be the first one they run to for answers and solutions. They will take steps and do things that we, as adults may not always agree or like, but letting them walk their journey is the only way. Holding their hand and spoon feeding them or dealing with an iron hand will only ruin their character and not let them grow as they should.

They will make mistakes, stumble and fall sometimes. But, letting them know that it is okay to fall, it is fine to fail, it is normal to not succeed at times is the only way a child will learn to think, act and grow stronger and build character and work hard at what they want to achieve in life.

The internet and social networking sites are unavoidable tools ina kids life these days. Restricting it completely or hovering over them to see what they are doing will only drive them the other way and will hide everything from you, as an adult. Besides, not being a part of something their friends and peers are will begin to affect their self esteem and hurt them in the long run. A healthy relationship with the trend is needed but very often, that can only be achieved with a healthy environment with the adults in a teen or tweens life.

This is my opinion and I live this daily with my 19 year old and 16 year old. I still have my 19 year old conversing with me about almost everything and he asks me for advice when he has friends who need help and are on the brink of ruin. This happened once and I was proud to know that he could ask me for advice and help his friend who eventually came out of it fine! This does not mean we don't have issues. Every once in a while, there is something to rock our boat but isnt that what life is? Why should it be different with a child? Let him or her also learn a few life lessons growing up, right?

Rajsmi--agree totally with everything you have written...life is tough and unless we as Parents do not encourage our children to flower at the same time giving them the option to run back to their cozy nest and be accepted without being judgmental - how can they ever progress!
raneeb thumbnail
Just saw this on my timeline -so apt for our topic...

Quote:
As parents, we sometimes go too far trying to help and protect our kids from life's harsh realities and disappointments. We don't want our kids to struggle like we did.
But Harvard psychiatrist Dr. Dan Kindlon says that overprotected children are more likely to struggle in relationships and with challenges.
We're sending our kids the message that they're not capable of helping themselves.
To quote clinical psychologist Dr. Wendy Mogel:
"It is our job to prepare our children for the road, not prepare the road for our children."
Saima-Syed thumbnail
Originally posted by: raneeb

Just saw this on my timeline -so apt for our topic...

Quote:
As parents, we sometimes go too far trying to help and protect our kids from life's harsh realities and disappointments. We don't want our kids to struggle like we did.
But Harvard psychiatrist Dr. Dan Kindlon says that overprotected children are more likely to struggle in relationships and with challenges.
We're sending our kids the message that they're not capable of helping themselves.
To quote clinical psychologist Dr. Wendy Mogel:
"It is our job to prepare our children for the road, not prepare the road for our children."

👏