Racism In BB house - Page 7

Posted: 10 years ago
Originally posted by muskaan23

I had some overdoes of fight against discrimination?? huh? I doubt that, this comment of Tabu in particular is hypocritical given the fact that she works in Hollywood projects, where she herself is a "Exotic Specimen" ... I am not saying I dont like her work there, i think she is one of the best actresses India has, but she should have not said that. 

What tabu meant? Even I got that and it's not that i disagree with her pov, i personally don't like Katrina because she lacks of acting talent and I personally feel it is annoying that almost every good movie I have to bear her poor acting and dialogue delivery. No doubt she is beautiful. Regarding Sunny Leone, I agree too. 

I get what Tabu is objecting about too, but find it sad that she didnt use a better term than "Exotic Specimen", it is inappropriate. 

I am not looking for it with a microscope, but in this particular case i do expect someone like Tabu to choose her words wisely. 

Hi muskan,

I love the  way you write and put forward your logic. My opening sentences were bit emotive mainly because I am sick of seeing people jumping on anything and absolutely anything to brand someone racist,male chauvinist blah blah.

I take your point that you may not like how Tabu presented it but all I am objecting to is it being branded as racist.

Racism is a bigger problem and let us not dilute  such a serious problem with such silly examples, that is it.

Gumrah,

Hi, welcome.

It was not racism... It was just a joke! Even salman does that... Will you call him racist too?
Originally posted by akash08

Hi muskan,

I love the  way you write and put forward your logic. My opening sentences were bit emotive mainly because I am sick of seeing people jumping on anything and absolutely anything to brand someone racist,male chauvinist blah blah.

I take your point that you may not like how Tabu presented it but all I am objecting to is it being branded as racist.

Racism is a bigger problem and let us not dilute  such a serious problem with such silly examples, that is it.

Hey Akash, 

no hard feelings anyway, i see where u coming from a lot of ppl tend to get too emotional whilst defending their favorite contestants here. As I said a lot of times, my intention is never to favor anyone, but simply look at things from a logical pov and discuss my view on it. Unfortunately you get misunderstood here very easily.

Regarding Tabu, oh i probably should have cleared out that i was not "labeling" her as racist, not at all. As said i simply did not like the use of words, but absolutely get her point. 

You are right racism is too big of a word to be used in this context and we probably should prevent using it. 

Racism is a major issue and should not be blended with such petty examples. I see the ethnic minority here in UK being the most inferior and flagging the racism card at their own advantage. Ie my manager gave me the latest lunch, they are being racist.

You should stand and raise your voice against racism but first believe in yourself.

People love waiving the female card and racism card at your face at every given opportunity. Learn to respect yourself before maligning others and abusing what real racism really is.
Originally posted by muskaan23

I know interfering in this could be quite "dangerous" for me, but I feel the need to clarify/remind some things. PLEASE dont feel offended, i HONESTLY DONT SUPPORT ANY CONTESTANT and just simply try to enjoy the show. 

Whether those particular comments were meant to be racist, i honestly doubt that. I think it was just meant in humor given the fact that both of the ladies do not speak the language, but at the end of the day it was inappropriate and the problem is that in a country like India ppl are not very sensitive with racism, compared to the west. In a western show this would have been an issue, remember Shilpa Shetty was made fun off because of her accent?! 

but desi344 i would like to remind u, that Gauhar DID complaint about ppl calling her "cook" to her face - which if u look at it from the same perspective is simply what she does and should then b not offensive. Also DID she complaint about ppl saying "mein 10 10 ghante baat karti hun!" to her face, which again is what she does. 
Also there is a difference, which Gauhar herself explained very well when she felt offended by Tanisha's comment, she said "that a person who is saying something JUST AS A JOKE will say that on your face and as Tanisha said it behind her back, so it is clear that her intentions were derogatory!" ... so at the end the point is that she was NOT MAKING FUN OF THEM ON THIER FACE, but talking about THEIR WEAKNESS on their back and making fun of this weakness. 

Also that is the difference to Salman's comments, he says it to their face.  

This was clearly not racism, as they were never making fun of them! They were just joking about how the conversation would go between Elli/Sofia and BB. If people find this racist, than its up to them. It was told as a joke, nothing more and nothing less. I did not find it inappropriate as these things have been said in LF by everyone to Elli on face as well, and she has taken it as a joke as well. She admits herself that she is not fluent and it takes time for her to understand. When we see comedians/entertainers trying to mimic or joke about different celebrities or any group of people or even situations with them, we don't take it as discrimination or any hidden hate behind their words, we take it as a joke. I can't discuss Shilpa Shetty and Big Brother as I am not familiar with the issue and I have not watched the show. 
      Gauhar was called cook with a derogatory meaning behind it as it was a personal attack, and she was right to defend herself against it! Once again, Gauhar, Tanisha or any person in that room was not targetting Sofia or Elli, as it was just a joke about how BB and Sofia/Elli would interact...The reason I bought Salmaan into the conversation is that, he has also been saying this things as a joke and Elli did not seem to mind it as she had taken it all in good fun. Also, mostly everyone has joked with her about her fluency in hindi in LF and TV, whether it be Gauhar, Tanisha, Armaan, Andy or anyone and she had taken it in good fun. She doesn't seem to mind Salmaan or any other housemate making jokes, so why are other poeple minding it and only talking about Gauhar and Tanisha saying it and not Salmaan. If THEY mind Gauhar and Tanisha making jokes, than Salmaan should be reprimanded in the same thing. A joke can be made whether that person is their or not! 

Originally posted by desi344

This was clearly not racism, as they were never making fun of them! They were just joking about how the conversation would go between Elli/Sofia and BB. If people find this racist, than its up to them. It was told as a joke, nothing more and nothing less. I did not find it inappropriate as these things have been said in LF by everyone to Elli on face as well, and she has taken it as a joke as well. She admits herself that she is not fluent and it takes time for her to understand. When we see comedians/entertainers trying to mimic or joke about different celebrities or any group of people or even situations with them, we don't take it as discrimination or any hidden hate behind their words, we take it as a joke. I can't discuss Shilpa Shetty and Big Brother as I am not familiar with the issue and I have not watched the show. 

Gauhar was called cook with a derogatory meaning behind it as it was a personal attack, and she was right to defend herself against it! Once again, Gauhar, Tanisha or any person in that room was not targetting Sofia or Elli, as it was just a joke about how BB and Sofia/Elli would interact...

The reason I bought Salmaan into the conversation is that, he has also been saying this things as a joke and Elli did not seem to mind it as she had taken it all in good fun. Also, mostly everyone has joked with her about her fluency in hindi in LF and TV, whether it be Gauhar, Tanisha, Armaan, Andy or anyone and she had taken it in good fun. She doesn't seem to mind Salmaan or any other housemate making jokes, so why are other poeple minding it and only talking about Gauhar and Tanisha saying it and not Salmaan. If THEY mind Gauhar and Tanisha making jokes, than Salmaan should be reprimanded in the same thing. A joke can be made whether that person is their or not! 

I have said my self that I DOUBT IT WAS MEANT TO BE RACIST AND I THINK IT WAS MEANT IN HUMOR. So I think with this your point and my point are quite equal. 

Was it appropriate or not? i think that is subjective at the end of the day. I am raised in a country where ppl are very careful with these kind of things and find such "jokes" inappropriate, probably that is y i feel the same. I dont have an issue with a person (e.g. a comedian) making a joke on someones face, whilst they can see their reaction and explain themselves if misunderstood, but i find it inappropriate to joke on someones back about something, which is a weakness

I havent seen those many LF's to comment on that. 

Gauhar and the term "cook" - that is a difficult one. I seriously dont want to get into whether that was right or wrong, as i personally felt it was not nice of Gauhar AND Tanisha to "abuse" each other with terms like "cook" and "dishwasher" ... as I feel those are not abusive "words", but actual professions. I find that unfair towards all the servants who earn their bread and butter with those professions. BUT again i say, i was simply reminding you that she DID complaint about this and about the fact that ppl say she can talk for hours to put forward her point, which u claimed she didnt. 

And as ur clearing again that it was a Joke, i am saying I feel it was meant as a Joke too. An inappropriate one, given the fact that those who were made fun of were not present and this joke was referring to their weaknesses, but yes it was a joke. 

And Salman, well you are saying it yourself, he does joke about Ellie to her face. and as u have seen more LF's then I have, even there ppl make these jokes to Elli on her face (according to what ur saying) ... and she does not mind. And ok u say Ellie never did mind, i accept. Whats with Sophie? couldn't she be offended, as no one before made a joke about her language in front of her, but now they r doing it on her back?

You are saying that a joke can be made whether the person is present or not; well i say that given the history with Tanisha and Gauhar about this, they should not. 

When Tanisha said she was "joking" about Gauhar being interested in Armaan. 
GAUHAR SAID: "If someone means to make a innocent JOKE, they will do it on ur face and not on your back. If they do it on your back, that means they had other intentions." 

See my point is not to argue about this, its very simple Tanisha and Gauhar were making fun of Ellie's and Sophia's weakness behind their back, it was a joke but it was not nice and given the fact that both of those ladies (TnG) are very sensitive when it comes to them, they should not make fun on others expenses. 

Nothing to make it so big.. Its quite normal in friend circle..We too used to make fun of my very dear friend who was from South India because of her hindi as she was very slow.. Make fun with god heart is not wrong.. It happens within friends
And term Racism is very big with background of crime.. So it should not be compared with such small joke/humor
Edited by kankabhor - 10 years ago
I loved when they were laughing and talking. For once I felt new friendship is brewing between them. I liked to see them like that. I did not feel its racism.
oh God another racism post. 
do u even know whats the meaning of racism? 
like seriously this was racism??
Edited by poorvab - 10 years ago
y does every little thing offendsppl these days... not everything is racism

p.s. tani ws also a part of it!