Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Operaqueen thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail
Posted: 10 years ago
Originally posted by: Neelum.drashti

honestly speaking, i agree with you about astha poking her nose in other people life. But this is something on which even i won't remain quiet, its just plain wrong. Astha did right thing. but i wonder whats going to happen to jyoti now

Neelam, I have no problem with Astha addressing the issue, but should have been done in a better way. Right now shlok is her link to the family. So things had to be said to him first. Show him the video and let him talk to his family about it.
rani-lucki thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 4
i agree its very nosey

but i'm proud of her to take this stand

i also loved it when she stood up for her parents

she even said i won't marry shlok til this problem is solved
effinxn3k thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
Originally posted by: Operaqueen

I am probably in the minority here, but I felt Astha went a little overboard here by ousting jyoti tais personal problems, when jyoti tai herself did not give her the permission to do so. Who gives her the right to decide what is best for jyoti? I am not condoning the behavior of the abusive in laws and husband, but it is for the woman undergoing the abuse to take a stand and decide what she wants to do. Jyoti at this point of time did not have the support of her mom , who had her own reasons for not wanting to help her daughter,. Does Astha realise the repurcussions of what she has done, Jyoti, UNjolly will all be in trouble.not to mention Sojal ( manicure and facial time:)) . I kind of agree with Unjolly today, Astha has no right to just walk in to their lives and decide she wants things her way and disrupt peace in the family, however dysfunctional the family might be, Astha coming from a cocooned and comfortable environment has no idea what these women are going the through and hence can very confidentially claim that she is doing the right thing. 

I kind of agree with you here..

Even though Astha did it with good intentions, I don't think it was right. 

Jyothi has been picked up from one abusive house to another. Astha won't be there 24x7 to protect Jyothi from everyone. From what we have seen, Jyothi is so meek that even Sojal can start using her has as a punching bag... not that she does, but she is capable. Also, Anjali can get nasty when her fortress is in trouble, and can influence her to get back to her in-laws by hook or crook. 

It is Jyothi who has to take the decision to get out of the house, and get a hold of her life on her own. She needs strength and support, not rescue. She was not even willing to confess the truth, and now she has bigger issues to solve because of Astha.

Astha isn't far-sighted and doesn't think of repercussions when she gets involved. She has already made a mess out of Shlok's award ceremony.. not that I am complaining because Shlok deserved it, but there was a better way to handle that situation.
effinxn3k thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
Originally posted by: Jayne

Yes and no.
I strongly believe that one can only help those who want to be helped.
Joti confessed her misery to Aasttha as a stranger. Was she just venting or was it a cry for help?
She went to her mother to cry on her shoulder, and that was definitely a cry for help.
On secret outing, she reacted as many victims do.
But the real test will come when proof is presented. Will she take action or not?

However, I agree that it is not Aastth'a place to do all these 'magic' acts.
She ought to convince Shloak, show him the proof, and then he ought to confront his family.
There is a protocol to this and she broke that.
Was it warranted because Shloak would not listen to her? Maybe she could have shown him the video in private first?

Jayne

Woah... I almost said the same thing, but you explained it better... ðŸ˜› ðŸ˜›
ArhiIPKKND thumbnail

Well, I for one would not like a third person deciding to take my life in her own hands and making a spectacle in front of the family .  The right thing to do was to quietly talk to shlok if necessary.  She can only meddle in jyotis affairs, if jyoti gives her the permission to do so. 

Ah but then you sound like a strong person with strong views...i believe you if you say you are capable of taking care of yourself...but this is jyoti we are talking about...she is severely abused...a very vulnerable person who had cried out for help to her mother only to be told to bear it!!!! Maybe Ashta could have done it differently ...but i applaud her for caring enough to do something, now that she knew who joyti really was...if she waited for joyti to give her permission it may be too late...i have seen too much of this in real life and wished someone had saved the poor soul but unfortunately it was too late...
CravingKhana thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 3
This is a very sensitive topic and I shy from discussing it...
but your points are very valid and I just wanted to say so...

Asthaa's act today not only showed her naive self righteousness...but this is a big issue why did she not take her own ayyi or mom into confidence ..
Did she think she was gonna eradicate abuse in a day...

Another is and the one I hate the most ...when people presume that the one abused does not know she /he needs help...
 and that the one abuse is such a simpleton that is unable to decide for themselves...(how long has she know Jyoti and the extent of the abuse)

Infact from where I am sitting Asthaa looks like she is in an abusive relationship...her mom thinks she is heading to disaster (and not even based on how man handling shlock is)...

this is a girl who thought a Slap was romantic...

Its irritating to see Self righteous people who have no inkling of what it is to walk in another's shoes
 just upset the apple cart and keep on going without seeing who is trampled under the cart...

Ok so I did not mean it but ...that was a fair rant...
tibs09 thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 3
Originally posted by: johnnylucky

Ignorance is a bliss some times. Astha's navie ness and ignoring the aftermath and pushing her guts to break open the door for Jyothi is certainly bringing a change in jyothi's life and ignorance is certainly a bliss here. Awareness of consequenses is what is stopping a mom to save her girl.  

sorry opera but will disagree with you and this post ..it some times does take a child to point out that the emperor has no new clothes..so naivete and ignorance of so called consequences are required sometimes to say the truth..
you might not like anyone invading your personal space ..that proves 3 things 1 you have a strong sense of your identity ..2 you know your likes and dislikes and 3 you are strong enough to stand for them...
a victim of abuse had all 3 taken away from them ..and one more often than not need somebody else to make it their business
I know how serial heroines are literally poking their nose in every body business but in this particular case I believe she was justified
and this is not anybody ..her own SIL ...
Sofna thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 3
Completely agree...even Anjali was correct...they hvn't taken phere YET...She should stop interfering ..Jst by showing them the cd & threatening to nt go ahead with marriage will not mke jyoti's life hunky dory! The repercussions could be greater for that battered soul.

This is where cv'z butcher her character every time...If she really wanted to help..then she would have spoken exclusively to Shlok about Jyo & shown him the CD n left it to him to deal with it...
Neelum.drashti thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 8 Thumbnail + 3

Neelam, I have no problem with Astha addressing the issue, but should have been done in a better way. Right now shlok is her link to the family. So things had to be said to him first. Show him the video and let him talk to his family about it.

i agree it would have been more mature and right way to handle things. today, shlok and varad are agreeing with her but what will happen when tomorrow jyoti blames astha for ruining her life??? and what will NA do to astha when she is there bahu??
butterfly15.. thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail Commentator 1 Thumbnail
I agree that she was wrong to talk about Joyti's problems in front of everyone, but there is no way she is wrong in trying to help Jyoti.
I think she should've just told Shlok. 

They way Jyoti is being treated could even lead to death. She is physically so weak she can barely walk, and they force her to have abortions, who knows what else they do to the poor woman. And most importantly she does want help and she does want to get out of her situation, she's just scared of her mother and mother-in-law. 

The majority of abused people put up with abuse because they get used to it and accept it as normal, and sooner or later start to believe it's their fault and they deserve it. These people only realise how wrong things are when it's too late or when they're out of the situation. Some of these people gain the courage to talk about their problems but others don't due to fear, like Jyoti, because of a lack of support. 

Luckily Jyoti isn't at that stage where she blames herself for everything, and she knows that what's happening to her isn't normal and she deserves to be happy. She wants help, but the main person, her mother, who is meant to support her isn't supporting her, so she's scared.

I know that if I was in Aastha's place I would want to help. How can any human being stand by and watch another being abused? If it was one of our daughters/sisters/mother/aunt etc. or even a male relative or a stranger, would we really say it's none of our business and just let them get abused just because they said they don't need help? 

Sometimes people need help. If you don't help someone get out of the mindset that it's ok to live with abuse, they might always think it's normal. Some make it out of a situation like Jyoti's on their own, others need help, even if they don't ask for it.