Is Amba's story Justified???

snowdream thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 3
Posted: 10 years ago
 I don't know how many of you felt the same or its just my feeling. 
             As much as i know of Mahabharata Story from various books. Amba with her sisters was abducted by Bhishma rather than having a talk with their father. While he moved out of Kashi Kingdom with the 3 ladies, soldiers of kashi and other renowned Prince fought including salva who were all defeated. ... Rest of the part is somewhat similar but at end when even Parasuram couldn't seek revenge from Bhishma, Amba went to forest and through asceticism she pleased Lord Shiva who then grants her the boon of getting an opportunity to take revenge on Bhishma in the next birth...I think even BR Chopra's mahabharat was similar i guess.. 

But i felt in this story Amba was never justified, while she is in actual.πŸ˜•..

Do any1 agree with me ?????????

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Sabhayata thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 3
Why do you think AMba wasnt justified?
They have shown the same story
Only diffenrece is as afr as i know Vichtraveer or whatever his name was Bheeshm's half brother refused to accept her so she literlaly had no where to go but in this case bheeshm's brother was ready to marry her but her aim was only to take revenge on Bheeshm
swati2008 thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 3
@snowdream...i think they downplayed Amba's plight...i know the Mahabharat story...it doesn't affect me much...but if someone would be watching for first time...he would be thinking Amba took all troubles on herself because of her unneccessary desire for revenge...which was not true...even the gyan Kanhaji gave when Amba went to Parshuram demanding justice...he said we should not be perturbed with life's minor roadblocks and centre our life at those...but was Amba's plight just a minor roadblock...sorry i don't agree with Kanhaji this time...Amba was rejected by three men and there might be no other man who would hav married her...even in 21st century many thinks marriage is sole aim of a girl's life...and in Dwapar age where women used to hav rights by association, being someone's wife or mother...marriage was a big deal...i don't think it was a minor roadblock in life but as if whole road just ended for Amba...i really didn't like how they potrayed Amba...though Ratan was good...

@Sabhyata...the thing you are saying as only difference is actually the main difference...they showed that Amba had an option to marry Bichitrabeerya and be the queen...but she still chose to take revenge...and destroyed her life and future...which was not true...
Sabhayata thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 3
Swati
It depends on how you view this situataion to you it may seem like Amba choose revenge over marriage but for me she choose justice over compromise.When Bheeshm came in between her swayamabar on the basis of his strength he wronged AMba as she was deprived from choosing a husband of her own liking which was the basic aim of swayamber.Which was an injustice towards her.She could have forgotten the injustice and married Bheeshm's brother but she choose to fight for her justice.That is how i view this.I know this version is slightly differnet then what the actual version is but i dont mind this interpretation as well .they showed AMba as a strong women who fought for her justice in an extremely male dominated world where women were just supposed to compromise with the situation but she didnt and died fighting for her justice .So it was ok since the aim of this story was acheived to show that even greatest men make big mistakes and one lesson that MB teaches us again and again never ever insult or do injustice towards a women like they say in the promo uske aanson mein aag hai
matwamango thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 5
Amba's plight seemed to go a little downwards. They haven't shown the intense prayers and tribulations she had to overcome to get to where she was in the future.

FantasyFan_8 thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 6
Originally posted by: matwamango

Amba's plight seemed to go a little downwards. They haven't shown the intense prayers and tribulations she had to overcome to get to where she was in the future.

u here too ayesha? πŸ˜² 
mjht_one thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 5
as far as i remember what the TM said is right
doyelpakhi thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
Yes, they have downplayed Amba's plight and highlighted her revenge mode.

Amba, first of all, didn't say about her love for Prince Salva or whatever his name is, when Bheesma came to abduct the sisters.

Had she told him at that moment, Bheesma might not have kidnapped her but then it was not norm in those days for a girl to declare her love openly. When she revealed it in Hastinapur, it was too late. But in this serial she is shown to tell the truth before so that her vengeance can be justified completely.

As someone has pointed out in other post, what Bheesma did was not considered to be immoral at that time because he defeated the other kings and won over the princesses to make them Queens of a might empire. Even if we set aside the norm, and look at the incident from moralistic point of view, then what Bheesma did was Wrong and Amba's hatred for Bheesma was definitely justified.

But what I found a bit ironic that Bheesma was Not the Only person responsible for Amba's plight. However, he is the only one who paid the price.

Vichitravirya was also responsible as he refused to marry the girl who has been abducted by his brother. It was not Amba who refused, it was Vichi- the serial twisted the tale to make Amba revengeful. 😑

Even if we say that Vichi was justified in not marrying a woman who loves some other guy, what about Prince Salva or whatever his name was, whom Amba loved?

Bheesma and Vichitravirya were nobody to Amba. But that Prince claimed to love her and when she returned to him, he just threw her out of his life? Why ? Just because she was kidnapped by some other man! πŸ‘ŽπŸΌ He totally forgot it was his inability to save Amba from kidnapping.πŸ˜”

And when Amba started her journey to take the vengeance she only concentrated on Bheesma and conveniently forgot about the Prince who left her just like that. If justice has be to got, then one should sought for justice from everyone who has wronged him or her. But Amba was more  vindictive in her manner instead of looking for justice.

Bheesma, on the other hand, would have married Amba, had he not taken the vow. And in those days - it was unthinkable to break a vow.

If we look at from practical point of view, Bheesma had no choice before him to redeem the blunder he made. πŸ˜•The only option that one could think of that he had to break his promise, marry Amba, make arrangements so that she could get the honor and be treated as member of Hastinapur royal family and then himself commit suicide for breaking the vowsπŸ˜• . Otherwise,  if he would have just married Amba and live a happy life, then Bhisma would have been known as the person who can't keep promises.

Best part of this serial was Mahadev's dialogue - it  was fabulous πŸ‘ (even if it is a little different from the epic) - Mahadev did NOT give the boon of killing Bhisma for sake of Amba's vengeance but only when she would be part of some great endeavor to upheld truth and justice, she would be able to achieve the result. Basically,  Bheesma would get his due for his karma irrespective of the fact whether Amba wants his head or not.😊

Edited by doyelpakhi - 10 years ago
Vr15h thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 4
Originally posted by: Sabhayata

Why do you think AMba wasnt justified?

They have shown the same story
Only diffenrece is as afr as i know Vichtraveer or whatever his name was Bheeshm's half brother refused to accept her so she literlaly had no where to go but in this case bheeshm's brother was ready to marry her but her aim was only to take revenge on Bheeshm

I agree.  They've changed some things, like making Vichu an absolute statue who only did what he was asked, when in fact, after Amba returned from Shalva, he  was the one who refused to marry her, since she had already been in love w/ another.

I agree that it was needless of them to try & erode sympathy for Amba by showing her as a vamp who burnt crops just to have a date w/ her lover.  But while her confrontational attitude @ the swayamvara & beyond may be controversial, fact remains that she was as justified here as she was in the original story.  If anything, the entire rationale that they've put into Bheeshma's mouth is absolutely pathetic & laughable, as discussed in the other thread bheeshma violated the basic meaning of swayamwara 

Yeah, in the original story, Amba was willing to marry anyone at this stage out of desperation - Shalva, Vichu or Bheeshma.  When the first 2 refused, she turned her wrath of Bheeshma for ruining things for her, and she was justified.  In this serial, she looks more vengeful, but even w/ these twists, I still find myself applauding her cause, while finding Bheeshma's defense - whatever it was - pretty pathetic.
snowdream thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 3
Originally posted by: matwamango

yup they missed a lot which potrays amba as a powerful willful womenπŸ‘πŸΌ