Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Storybrooke thumbnail
Posted: 10 years ago
I also want to note that I think the tides are finally changing when it comes to the tv actors. Before whenever I would praise their talents, I was told that the audience would never accept them because they only like the tv characters, the crying bahus, not the actors. But now with Sushant's breakthrough, it seems that truly wasn't the case. And an even better example of this is that Ankita Lokhande, the one who plays the consistently wailing Archana in PR, was considered to be cast opposite Shahrukh Khan. Now that's big.

I also want to note that while I find the immense fandoms of KSG, Sanaya Irani, Drashti Dhami, and Barun Sobti annoying, it's these fandoms that at the end of the day help these actors develop their own identities. People aren't just fawning over Madhubala, Khushi, or Arnav alone, but they're also become fans of the actors who play these characters. Hence they get signed for lead roles drama after drama after drama because the makers know that people will watch for them. It's not like the older days where after a drama aired, everyone forgot about you. So I never understood why, if a tv actor was given a good film like Sushant's KPC, it would not be accepted by the audience. 

As far as Prachi Desai goes, she had the backers and support, but she also had to deliver, and that's where she failed. If you want to be an actor, you have to be versatile, especially with your image, and she couldn't do that. 

I also love the one commercial where Sushant goes "har dil bolega wow"😆 Uff his voice ðŸ˜³
Edited by Storybrooke - 10 years ago
lunza thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 4
From the soap actors , I think Amar Upadhyay was the first to quit his daily soap and try films .. and chose really bad films...
And later many others left their TV shows for films.. But chose really dodgy films with no big producers backing the films properly... either the films got shelved mid-day.. or even if it got completed.. it didnt get distributors..

Thats the biggest mistake they used to make... do any damn film that was offered to them... 
And I think after that , for sometime in between... a lot of TV actors felt hesitant to take such a huge risk with their careers again.. i.e leaving a successful shows for an unknown territory where they know no one... and in an industry where the chances you get is usually dependent upon you being born into so-and-so families...

Choosing a right debut film is very important... because if you arent born into a film family ... you arent given many chances to prove yourself...
Of course , I know I am probably over-simplifying things, and you do need a bit of luck on your side... and it is easier said than done... but I feel if you just go about it a bit more carefully , without making hasty decisions... things might just fall into place...

cupoftea11 thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
TV actors act 12-15 hours a day every single day. Most of them are definitely better , at least acting wise, than fattu actors like Salman , Imran, Ranbir , Sonam etc.
nikitagmc thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 3
Lunza my twin already wrote the first part of what I was about to write so I will quote her and continue.

Originally posted by: lunza

Choosing a right debut film is very important... because if you arent born into a film family ... you arent given many chances to prove yourself...
Of course , I know I am probably over-simplifying things, and you do need a bit of luck on your side... and it is easier said than done... but I feel if you just go about it a bit more carefully , without making hasty decisions... things might just fall into place...

Exactly! Most TV actors hurry to pick up whichever film they are offered and that is the biggest mistake they make. Every TV actor gets offered small budget movies in which the producers main aim is just to make some profit through satellite rights etc through whatever popularity the actor has. In the end, it does the actor no good.

Those who have been careful about their movie choices have at least been accepted well in BW. Like Sushant, Rajeev, Ayushman, Yami and Prachi. They chose good movies to debut with. Even Pulkit and Amit, after one good movie, are getting much better roles.

Whether or not these actors get success after their first film depends on how they follow up after that- the type of marketing/PR, the scripts they chose, their own efforts to improve as actors, networking, their personality, their glam quotient and so on. Since they do not have god-fathers/mentors, they do not have anyone to guide them in these departments. They usually learn by themselves step by step, like during KPC promotions, Sushant was shy and hardly spoke much, Amit Sadh did most of the talking. During SDR he came out of his shell, especially in reality shows and it was a treat. During SDR promotions, he also hired a professional stylist which he hadn't done during KPC days. 

So to answer your question TM, I would say there is certainly a large pool of untapped talent amongst these TV actors. They are much better than many who cannot emote or mouth dialogues convincingly. Plus they have to work harder, not only to get good breaks, but also have to struggle to understand BW and the ways to fit in it. 
Edited by nikitagmc - 10 years ago
tantal thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
Originally posted by: lunza

From the soap actors , I think Amar Upadhyay was the first to quit his daily soap and try films .. and chose really bad films...

And later many others left their TV shows for films.. But chose really dodgy films with no big producers backing the films properly... either the films got shelved mid-day.. or even if it got completed.. it didnt get distributors..

Thats the biggest mistake they used to make... do any damn film that was offered to them... 
And I think after that , for sometime in between... a lot of TV actors felt hesitant to take such a huge risk with their careers again.. i.e leaving a successful shows for an unknown territory where they know no one... and in an industry where the chances you get is usually dependent upon you being born into so-and-so families...

But then the question arises that why aren't big producer or famous directors offering them movies? Why are only small producers interested in them? Why big stars don't want to work with them?

The answer is simple really. The TV stars appear on daily soaps which air everyday of the week for years. The actors became saddled with the image of the characters they play -like Kashish or Khushi or Gopi. They don't have the element of surprise or freshness or uniqueness that is essential for a newcomer to succeed in BW. That's why big producers would rather take an unknown model like Anushka or a newcomer like PArineeti who probably gave a fantastic screen test to bag the YRF movies.

It's different in USA where many TV satrs became famous Hollywood actors. But there they have once a week shows which air for 13 or 26 weeks per year. It's easy for them to shed their TV image and take on a new personality for the big screen.

Generally speaking TV actors have a much demanding schedule than Bollywood actors. They have to work 12 - 15 hours a day with no break in between for any festival or occasion if they are the leads! Even though they play 1 character for a long period of time, they get to emote various degrees of emotions and hence have a better experience.
In bollywood, things are bit different it's more about the image, x - factor, appeal than one's acting chops. If you can connect with the audience through that image and deliver good film then you are on the road to success. But most times things don't always fall in place, luck plays an important role! Getting the right film is very important.

TV has expanded a lot in the past 5 years, hindi serials are watched all over the globe like Bollywood cinema. Nowadays, TV actors go abroad for shows and events unlike before. This opens new doors and access to global audience. But the key factor is getting the right script! 
lunza thumbnail
Originally posted by: tantal

But then the question arises that why aren't big producer or famous directors offering them movies? Why are only small producers interested in them? Why big stars don't want to work with them?

The answer is simple really. The TV stars appear on daily soaps which air everyday of the week for years. The actors became saddled with the image of the characters they play -like Kashish or Khushi or Gopi. They don't have the element of surprise or freshness or uniqueness that is essential for a newcomer to succeed in BW. That's why big producers would rather take an unknown model like Anushka or a newcomer like PArineeti who probably gave a fantastic screen test to bag the YRF movies.

It's different in USA where many TV satrs became famous Hollywood actors. But there they have once a week shows which air for 13 or 26 weeks per year. It's easy for them to shed their TV image and take on a new personality for the big screen.

The big producers and directors have their own kids , nieces and nephews to launch... unse fursat milegi tab toh aur koi launch hoga.. Forget TV.. do they even scout for talent from theatre..?... plus I dont think they watch daily soaps...
And you answered your own question.. I agree with you ..
The actors are more likely to get accepted if they come back after a clean break from TV with a good script and proper role.. like Yami, Rajeev, Sushant did...
And after that.. like Niki said.. it is about how you manage your career...
lunza thumbnail
Originally posted by: tantal

Sigh.. hope the season format catches up in India soon... it will do a lot of good for both - the TV content and the actors..

MesmerizingSanz thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 3
Good and bad actors are present both in telly wood and Bollywood
Many telly wood actors can do very well when give a chance in bollywood like Sanaya Irani , KSG and Gautam Rode
They have the talent and looks to enter bollywood

salta thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 2
On TV actresses are far better than actors. but on a basic note, its same everywhere. on tv too there are some good actors, and some bad, and in BW too, it is the same. but currently an actress like vidya exists in BW(not only because she acts good, but also because her roles are extraordinary) while all the women are almost same on TV screen.

and in actors, BW has some absolutely fine actors, who just don't have mass appeal, but when come to acting, no1 can beat them. I don't think any1 can replace aamir in TZP, or srk in devdas or MNIK, or irfaan khan or so many actors. at least in BW topmost actors have done some extraordinary work, on indian tv its same...a young dashing handsome angry young man, who mostly times, is a business tycoon.