Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Joyel thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 2
Posted: 10 years ago
guys... ayappa is considered as super god of kerala.But iam confused and shocked why ayyappa was not in punaras.
Shaina_b thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 2

Originally posted by: Surya_krsnbhakt

I have omitted considerable details. And also, this story happens after Samudramanthan.
Mahabharata.. do you mean Mohini and Aravan story? BUt that is mostly in Tamilnadu only...

Yes I mean that one!!!!!

Well even if it is local, it seems to suggest that there is no particular number of times Lord Vishnu look the avatar of Mohini!!!!

viper833 thumbnail
Group Promotion 1 Thumbnail

Originally posted by: Shaina_b

Yes I mean that one!!!!!

Well even if it is local, it seems to suggest that there is no particular number of times Lord Vishnu look the avatar of Mohini!!!!

I did read my stuff  i look in the puranas but there is a no reference to Ayapa the only place i heard about is in south indian temple in New York City. It obscure story is not foudn my sources give a purana that has i look it up but so far no luck.

BTW Lord Shiva and Lord Vishnu ( Moihni avatar didn't have relation. Look your own reference

In the Brahmanda Purana when the wandering sage Narada tells Shiva about Vishnu's Mohini form that deluded the demons, Shiva dismisses him. Shiva and his wife Parvati go to Vishnu's home. Shiva asks him to take on the Mohini form again so he can see the actual transformation for himself. Vishnu smiles, again mediates on the Goddess, and in place of Vishnu stands the gorgeous Mohini. Overcome by lust, Shiva chases Mohini as Parvati hangs her head in shame and envy. Shiva grabs Mohini's hand and embraces her, but Mohini frees herself and runs further. Finally, Shiva grabs her and their "violent coupling" leads to discharge of Shiva's seed which falls "short of its goal," suggesting the act was not consummated. The seed falls on the ground and the god Maha-Shasta ("The Great Chastiser") is born. Mohini disappears, while Shiva returns home with Parvati.

The Buddhist version of the Bhasmasura tale continues with Shiva (Ishvara) asking the female-Vishnu, who is seated on a swing, to marry him. She asks Shiva to get the permission of his wife Umayangana to take her home. Shiva returns with Umayangana's consent to find the female-Vishnu pregnant, who sends him back to get permission to bring a pregnant woman home. When he returns, a child is born and female-Vishnu is pregnant again. She requests Shiva to seek approval to bring a pregnant woman with a child home. This happens six more times. Finally, Shiva brings Umayangana with him to witness the miraculous woman. Vishnu then returns to his male form. Umayangana embraces the six youngest children merging them into the six-headed Skanda, while the eldest, named Aiyanayaka ("eldest brother") remains intact.[19] Aiyanayaka is identified with Aiyanar.

Edited by viper833 - 10 years ago
Shaina_b thumbnail

Originally posted by: viper833

I did read my stuff  i look in the puranas but there is a no reference to Ayapa the only place i heard about is in south indian temple in New York City. It obscure story is not foudn my sources give a purana that has i look it up but so far no luck.

BTW Lord Shiva and Lord Vishnu ( Moihni avatar didn't have relation. Look your own reference

In the Brahmanda Purana when the wandering sage Narada tells Shiva about Vishnu's Mohini form that deluded the demons, Shiva dismisses him. Shiva and his wife Parvati go to Vishnu's home. Shiva asks him to take on the Mohini form again so he can see the actual transformation for himself. Vishnu smiles, again mediates on the Goddess, and in place of Vishnu stands the gorgeous Mohini. Overcome by lust, Shiva chases Mohini as Parvati hangs her head in shame and envy. Shiva grabs Mohini's hand and embraces her, but Mohini frees herself and runs further. Finally, Shiva grabs her and their "violent coupling" leads to discharge of Shiva's seed which falls "short of its goal," suggesting the act was not consummated. The seed falls on the ground and the god Maha-Shasta ("The Great Chastiser") is born. Mohini disappears, while Shiva returns home with Parvati.

The Buddhist version of the Bhasmasura tale continues with Shiva (Ishvara) asking the female-Vishnu, who is seated on a swing, to marry him. She asks Shiva to get the permission of his wife Umayangana to take her home. Shiva returns with Umayangana's consent to find the female-Vishnu pregnant, who sends him back to get permission to bring a pregnant woman home. When he returns, a child is born and female-Vishnu is pregnant again. She requests Shiva to seek approval to bring a pregnant woman with a child home. This happens six more times. Finally, Shiva brings Umayangana with him to witness the miraculous woman. Vishnu then returns to his male form. Umayangana embraces the six youngest children merging them into the six-headed Skanda, while the eldest, named Aiyanayaka ("eldest brother") remains intact.[19] Aiyanayaka is identified with Aiyanar.

Try showing this on TV!!!!!Audience will scream murder!!!!!!

Read the rest of it!!!!!

In the later story of the origin of Ayyappa, Shiva impregnates Mohini, who gives birth to Ayyappa. They abandon Ayyappa in shame. The legend highlights Vishnu's protests to be Mohini again and also notes that Ayyappa is born of Vishnu's thigh as Mohini does not have a real womb. Another variant says that instead of a biological origin, Ayyappa sprang from Shiva's semen, which he ejaculated upon embracing Mohini. Ayyappa is referred to as Hariharaputra, "the son of Vishnu (Hari) and Shiva (Hara)", and grows up to be a great hero.

Moral of the story is that there would be protests if they show anything close to this in the show!!!!!It is not worth the trouble!!!!!

viper833 thumbnail

Read the rest of it!!!!!

In the later story of the origin of Ayyappa, Shiva impregnates Mohini, who gives birth to Ayyappa. They abandon Ayyappa in shame. The legend highlights Vishnu's protests to be Mohini again and also notes that Ayyappa is born of Vishnu's thigh as Mohini does not have a real womb. Another variant says that instead of a biological origin, Ayyappa sprang from Shiva's semen, which he ejaculated upon embracing Mohini. Ayyappa is referred to as Hariharaputra, "the son of Vishnu (Hari) and Shiva (Hara)", and grows up to be a great hero.

Moral of the story is that there would be protests if they show anything close to this in the show!!!!!It is not worth the trouble!!!!!

Again this reference of a obscure text that is not widely accepted  mostly accepted in one region of india and not the whole region. And yes there will be back lash from the audience.

viper833 thumbnail

Read the rest of it!!!!!

From the reference you posted did bother to read this.

Cultural interpretations
Mohini at Belur.

According to mythologist Pattanaik, Mohini is just a disguise to delude the demon Bhasmasura, rather than a sexual transformation in this legend. Mohini is a disillusion, Vishnu's maya.

Stories in which Shiva knows of Mohini's true nature have been interpreted to "suggest the fluidity of gender in sexual attraction". Pattanaik writes while Westerners may interpret the Shiva-Mohini union as homosexual, traditional Hindus do not agree to this interpretation.He also writes that those focusing only on homoeroticism miss the narrative's deeper metaphysical significance: Mohini's femininity represents the material aspect of reality, and Mohini's seduction is another attempt to induce the ascetic Shiva into taking an interest in worldly matters. Only Vishnu has the power to "enchant" Shiva; a demon who tried to enchant and hurt Shiva in form of a woman was killed in the attempt.

Another interpretation posits that the Mohini tale suggests that Vishnu's maya blinds even supernatural beings. Mohini is "the impersonation of the magically delusive nature of existence which fetters all beings to the rounds of births and deaths and vicissitudes of life."[3] Mohini also does not have an independent existence; she exists only as a temporary delusion, and is absorbed back into Vishnu after serving her purpose.

The legend of the union of Mohini-Vishnu and Shiva may also be written as part of the desire to have a common child of the two cosmic patriarchs of Hinduism.

Edited by viper833 - 10 years ago
Shaina_b thumbnail

From the reference you posted did bother to read this.

Cultural interpretations
Mohini at Belur.

According to mythologist Pattanaik, Mohini is just a disguise to delude the demon Bhasmasura, rather than a sexual transformation in this legend. Mohini is a disillusion, Vishnu's maya.

Stories in which Shiva knows of Mohini's true nature have been interpreted to "suggest the fluidity of gender in sexual attraction". Pattanaik writes while Westerners may interpret the Shiva-Mohini union as homosexual, traditional Hindus do not agree to this interpretation.He also writes that those focusing only on homoeroticism miss the narrative's deeper metaphysical significance: Mohini's femininity represents the material aspect of reality, and Mohini's seduction is another attempt to induce the ascetic Shiva into taking an interest in worldly matters. Only Vishnu has the power to "enchant" Shiva; a demon who tried to enchant and hurt Shiva in form of a woman was killed in the attempt.

Another interpretation posits that the Mohini tale suggests that Vishnu's maya blinds even supernatural beings. Mohini is "the impersonation of the magically delusive nature of existence which fetters all beings to the rounds of births and deaths and vicissitudes of life."[3] Mohini also does not have an independent existence; she exists only as a temporary delusion, and is absorbed back into Vishnu after serving her purpose.

The legend of the union of Mohini-Vishnu and Shiva may also be written as part of the desire to have a common child of the two cosmic patriarchs of Hinduism.

What is your point??

There are a thousand interpretations of every incident portrayed in mythology!!!!!!

Where are we going with this??

Leave all interpretations!!!!!Just look at the basic thing!!!!Whatever they show, they have to show an "attraction" between a male and another who is internally a male!!!!!

They can't show that!!!!!

Surya_krsnbhakt thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail
Ok, guys, I think we are going off-topic here...
Rishi_ thumbnail

Originally posted by: Joyel

@Riti
firstly,when i curiosly opened my thread,i thought that u were giving an answer to my question,instead of such guidelines or instructions.😆

thats a valid point.  i thought only DT members are supposed to give instructions 🤣
Shaina_b thumbnail

Again this reference of a obscure text that is not widely accepted  mostly accepted in one region of india and not the whole region. And yes there will be back lash from the audience.

See what I meant!!!!!😊

I am fine with something shown in it which is local to one region!!!!Remember Santoshi Maa was just a local folktale before the 1975 blockbuster "Jai Santoshi Maa"!!!!!

I am fine with something shown which has implicit references to LGBT!!!!!

But Indian audience is not mature enough to see such things like you yourself admitted!!!!!!