-|| Happy Krishna Janmashtami ||-

Posted: 10 years ago

|| Radha ki bhakti, Murli ki mithas, Makhan ka swaad aur Gopiyon ka raas ||

|| Inhi sabse milke banta hai Janmasthami ka ye din khas ||

19 July 3228 BCE - the day known to be the birth of Lord Krishna.
Mathura - the sacred land where he spent his notorious childhood.

Here comes the annual celebration of the eight avatar of Vishnu, fondly called upon as Kanhaiyaa.

"I am the conscience in the heart of all creatures,
I am their beginning, their being, their end.
I am the mind of the senses,
I am the radiant sun among lights.
I am the song in sacred lore,
I am the king of deities,
I am the priest of great seers'"

A verse from the Holy Gita, describing 'God' by Lord himself.  

The story of his birth is rather quite popular among the Hindu's. Born to Vasudev and Devki as their eighth child, Krishna was brought up in Gokul by Yashoda and Nanda. According to the prophecy, the eighth son of Vasudev and Devki would bring about Kansa's, (as called by the Hindus) Devki's brothers, end. Kansa had his father, King Ugrasen thrown into prison along with Devki and Vasudev. The love he had for his sister turned into instant hatred upon the skies prophecy. 

In order to protect the child and upon Vishnu's words, Vasudev took the child to Gokul, a small village at the time near Mathura, sometimes referred to as Brij. 

He crossed the River Yamuna at midnight during a stormy weather to reach Gokul. Reaching the village, he saw everyone in deep slumber. Silently, he placed the child beside Devki, switching it with her own daughter and left the place, in hopes for a secure upbringing of his child, Krishna, and keep him hidden from the child' evil uncle, Kansa. Thinking the daughter to be the eighth child, he threw her to the stone, whereby she transformed into YogMaya and warned him, reminded him of his death. 

In Gokul, Krishna grew up with his older brother, Balram - an incarnation of Adishesha or Shesha Naag. Yashoda, unaware of the switch, loved him dearly as a child, referring to him as 'Lalla' while Devki yearned to have her child play in her embrace. Krishna was loved by one and all in the village and known as 'Makhan Chor,' 'Raas Rachaiya,' 'Mohan,' 'Govinda,' 'Gopala,' among the many other names. 

One child - two mothers. Both - the play's victims. Neither could have the love of a child simultaneously. Krishna called Yashoda 'Maiya' while the villagers often called him 'Nand-lala' (the Son of Nanda). Eventually, Devki had to find out the truth, for only then could Krishna leave for Mathura to fulfill his life's aim and put an end to Kansa, hence putting a stop to his wrath. 

For Yashoda, there was the pain of a mother having to let her son go out of her shadow. For Devki, the time had come for a child's blessing in her life, after having to bear her previous children killed at the hands of her brother. Yashoda's motherly love - incomparable to that of any, is highly respected by everyone, along with Krishna himself giving her a higher importance in his life for her. Despite not being his real mother, she is a figure of example for the rest, who loves a child first before putting a title of blood-relation.

Rasleela is one of the divine activities, which Lord Krishna played with his gopis on the banks of river Yamuna in Vrindavan. Among all the gopis, Radha was closest to Lord. Her love for Lord Krishna was complete and in its purest form. Sri Krishna was ten years old when he performed Rasleela. In today's age rasleela is performed only by Brahmin boys between the ages of 10-13 years with the main theme focusing on the formative years of Lord Krishna. 

Dahi Handi is celebrated on the second day of Janmashtami. Shri Krishna, as a child was very naughty. He loved butter. He would steal butter prepared by the gopi's. Dahi Handi is celebrated to mimic the stealing of butter by Krishna. An earthen pot containing butter, ghee, dry fruits and milk is hung at a height with the help of a rope. Energetic men make a human pyramid and climb on each other to reach the pot and the break the pot. Dahi Handi celebration encourages working in a team, thus signifies the importance of team work. 

Edited by Aahaana - 10 years ago

The verses in the Bhagavad-Gita say, that whenever there will be predominance of evil and decline of religion, I will reincarnate to kill the evil and to save the good. The main significance of Janmashtami is to encourage goodwill and to discourage bad will. Krishna Jayanti also celebrates togetherness. The holy occasion brings people together, thus it signifies unity and faith. 

Kansa enlisted a demon named Putana to kill newborn babies. The demon dressed as a beautiful woman and flew on her broom to Krishna's nursery, hoping to kill him with the poison she had smeared on her nipples. Krishna's mother innocently let Putana pick the baby up and put it to her breast. Krishna closed His eyes and sucked out her life air, killing her, without taking her poison. When Putana's soul departed, her body returned to its real form, a gigantic witch that smashed trees as it fell, stretching twelve miles across the landscape. Putana's soul attained liberation due to the benevolent act of offering her breast milk to Krishna and the inhabitants of Vrindavana cremated the body. 

One day the cowherd boys were playing their games, such as imitating peacocks and running after birds' shadows on the ground, when they came upon a mountain cave. This was actually a demon-brother of Putana's, who had expanded himself into an eight-mile long snake to kill the boys. The opening to the cave was his mouth. The boys felt a hot wind blowing that smelled like fish, or the serpent's intestines. When the boys walked into the cave Krishna became momentarily aggrieved because he knew it was one of Kansa's tricks.

He pondered for a moment, then decided to enter the cave himself. Demons all over the world became joyful when Krishna went inside. The demigods, who had been hiding among the clouds to see what would happen, became distressed. For a time it seemed as if the snake-demon had killed Krishna, but when Krishna heard the demigods' pleas he grew larger and choked the demon to death. Aghasura's life air burst through a hole in his skull and waited there for Krishna to come out, then it merged into His body. Krishna showed His benevolent nature by rescuing His friends and giving liberation to Aghasura.

Every year the residents of Vrindavana worshiped Lord Indra for supplying rain. One year when Krishna was a youth, He asked Nanda to worship Govardhana Hill instead of Indra. King Nanda agreed with Krishna and prepared to offer the sacrifice to Govardhana Hill. This made Lord Indra angry and jealous. Forgetting the divine position of Krishna, indra sent a storm to devastate Vrindavana. All the people and animals came to Krishna for shelter, and in a miraculous show of strength, Krishna lifted Govardhana Hill with one finger to make the mountain into a huge umbrella. Everyone crowded underneath it and remained safe until the rains stopped.

T . R . I . V . I . A

The first demon that Lord Krishna killed?

What was Lord Krishna's Grandson's name?

Who was Lord Krishna's friend during his childhood?

Whose 100 mistakes did Lord Krishna pardon?

How many queens did Lord Krishna had?

What is the name Lord Krishna's maternal grandfather?

Which city did Lord Krishna rule?

Who was the architect of the city Lord Krishna ruled?

If pandava's for Lord Krishna, what did the kaurava's get in return?

In the battle of Mahabharata, because of whom Lord Krishna picked up weapons?

..|| s ||..

*Khushii*
-.Preet.-
-najmeen-
Yuvika_15
DeviatedTesoro.
Roshini1494

Edited by Aahaana - 10 years ago
Happy Janmashtami Everyone! 🤗 

So, here's just a thing in case anyone would like to share their celebration routine for Janmashtami 😃 I'll start off to encourage you all LOL. 

Janmashtami, the very first thing, of course, the whole day's fast and going to temple. That's something everyone does, I hope.. At least our whole family does. When young, Mom wouldn't have me do fasts but on the day, there would only be farari made so either way, I would end up keeping the fast. Now that I keep it willingly, I eat limited farari. So it's next to not eating anything the whole day 😳 😛PS: Going to temple is fun! Well, I was younger than 11 then, so don't blame me for not having the seriousness than. 😎 

Well, other than that, I do remember: At nights, in the middle of the society, we would have Krishna plays. Just me, my sister and fellow neighborhood friends would walk down the block. I'm  a HUGE lazy person when I have to stand for more than 5 or so minutes. But still, I wouldn't mind standing the whole half-hour or so and watching it. I was young so yea, I barely understood half of the times, but it was still fun to do! The older group kids would perform the play and real, watching a live play, NOT in a theater, has it's own advantages and fun.

Parents. One-word-I-Have! Never seen a dahi Handi in my life 😳 Not that I'm old. But Still. 😛 Seeing in movies/TV is different thing and I'm sure it's much fun in real life too. Moving to States when 11 and then here where it isn't celebrated on high level, I don't have much memories of it, except the plays and the fun us friends would have then. And the partiality we would get from teachers in school if we were fasting. Naive fun  

Now, what do you do/like to do/would like to do on this very fine day of Krishna's birth? 😃 Share your stories!!

-Khushi.
-Crazy Creative.

Edited by *Khushii* - 10 years ago
Happy Janmashtami to all those who celebrate.

I knew about Lord Krishna being a makhan chor, but this thread was definitely way more informative. Good job Aanchal and the others. 👏👏👏
Happy Janmashtmi to everyone who celebrates. 🤗 I really didn't know what this day was even about so.. I've learnt stuff.. XD
Happy Janmashtami to everyone 🤗 Love the thread,really informative ! Great job,Aanchu,Rosh ,and Khushi 🤗
Happy Janmashtami everyone! 🤗 Great job, Aanchal, Rosh & Khushi! 🤗
Happy Janmashtami everyone🤗 Wonderful thread girls!
Originally posted by Roshini1494

T . R . I . V . I . A

The first demon that Lord Krishna killed?

What was Lord Krishna's Grandson's name?

Who was Lord Krishna's friend during his childhood?

Whose 100 mistakes did Lord Krishna pardon?

How many queens did Lord Krishna had?

What is the name Lord Krishna's maternal grandfather?

Which city did Lord Krishna rule?

Who was the architect of the city Lord Krishna ruled?

If pandava's for Lord Krishna, what did the kaurava's get in return?

In the battle of Mahabharata, because of whom Lord Krishna picked up weapons?

Happy Shree Krishna Janamashtami

Here are answers of the questions:

1) The first demon that krishna killed was Putana
2) Aniruddha was Krishna's grandson
3) He had many friends. One of the most famous childhood friend was "Sudama"
4) Shishupala
5) There were about 16,108 queens. However, 8 of them became most famous namely Rukmani, Satyabhama, Jambvati, Kalindi, Mitravrinda, Lakshana and Bhadra
6) I think his name was Aggasen
7) Dwarka city was his main capital. 
8)  Vishwakarma 
9) His army..Krishna gave two choices..either to take his entire army or otherwise chose him but he will not directly involve in battle..So Arjun chose Krishna and Krishna became his saathi. Koravas got army. 
10) Because to save Arjun 
Really beautiful thread! And yes Happy Janmashtami! Let us enjoy in the fervour of the blue-god!
Originally posted by munyr123

Happy Shree Krishna Janamashtami

Here are answers of the questions:

1) The first demon that krishna killed was Putana
2) Aniruddha was Krishna's grandson
3) He had many friends. One of the most famous childhood friend was "Sudama"
4) Shishupala
5) There were about 16,108 queens. However, 8 of them became most famous namely Rukmani, Satyabhama, Jambvati, Kalindi, Mitravrinda, Lakshana and Bhadra
6) I think his name was Aggasen
7) Dwarka city was his main capital. 
8)  Vishwakarma 
9) His army..Krishna gave two choices..either to take his entire army or otherwise chose him but he will not directly involve in battle..So Arjun chose Krishna and Krishna became his saathi. Koravas got army. 
10) Because to save Arjun 

@Red I think you meant Ugrasen. But actually, it is Devaka.
Edited by Surya_krsnbhakt - 10 years ago