Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

IshqDewaani thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail + 2
Posted: 10 years ago
Dear Shyamala Aunty,

it was so wonderful to get your pm.. I have been following all of your JA post and I just love the way you describe and analyse the episode!!!!!!!

I always look forward to your posts!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bushra_Munia thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail Networker 1 Thumbnail
Wow awesome analysis. I loved ur post... Do pm me
sashashyam thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 3
Thank you very much, Munia, and of course I will PM you. For starters, here is yesterday's on Episode 44,

Jodha Akbar 44: Suspended animation

https://www.indiaforums.com/forum/post/90181046
Shyamala B.Cowsik

Originally posted by: MUNIASTUART

Wow awesome analysis. I loved ur post... Do pm me

sashashyam thumbnail
Thank you so very much, my dear, I am really touched that you made it thru all the 4 pages of this one - I myself was taken aback by its inordinate length when I had finished it! -  and still like it so much. It says a lot for  the attention span of GenX!

Shyamala Aunty

Originally posted by: IshqDewaani

Dear Shyamala Aunty,

it was so wonderful to get your pm.. I have been following all of your JA post and I just love the way you describe and analyse the episode!!!!!!!

I always look forward to your posts!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

smiletherapy thumbnail

Another superb post, Shyamala Aunty! I loved every bit of it. As long as your posts are, they always seem to end too fast for me!!! 

Yesterday afternoon, I had actually written a lengthy response to this post, that also included a reply to your reply in the Spiced-Crossed Lovers Thread. Unfortunately, as I hit the button to post, not only did the response not show up, but somehow all my previous posts had been wiped out as well! In fact, my entire account--posts, pm's, buddy lists--were gone. Arrghhh!

So I must thank you doubly for quoting me in your post, as it is one of the few records of what I've written in the forum, and also more importantly for honoring me with such a compliment. I cannot think of a greater compliment on the IF than to be featured in one of your posts! Thanks so much. Honestly, much of the credit really belongs to you and all of the other intelligent posters on your thread for inspiring me with such great insights.

There's so much I'd like to write and re-write in response, but I will have to wait until after this weekend. My thesis deadline looms near!

In the meantime, I hope you are resting up this weekend. I look forward most to the post of yours that says your eyes have healed!! 

Sangeeta

Edited by smiletherapy - 10 years ago
misaki thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 2
I'm sorry for the late reply..
     I always wondered what Jalal could do to harm Jodha in any way.. and after reading your analysis,i guess i can now surely say "not much". Since Jalal can't afford to send her home and neither can he "out" their relationship before her parents or the world,all Jodha has to do is go on about her day without "mirching" him up!
      I kinda thought the scene where Jodha complains to Moti about Jalal was silly and not needed.I did not notice it then ,but i guess you are right when u say Jodha has changed because the previous one would have never admitted that she is hurting because of his actions .Typical Hubby-Wife scene.Now i don't mind that scene much πŸ˜†
      I don't enjoy watching Ruqaiya and Jalal's encounters. It's blah.Right now for me, Rukaiya is the most irritating character on the soap. All she does is scream and laugh! My ears hurt!
      The highlight however was definitely the scene with Rahim. Jodha never expected Jalal to have a kid?😲  she was aware of his other wives before her wasn't she? :P But i loved the scene maybe because i think i saw sort of a yearn in her eyes for that "normalcy" in her Marriage too.. or maybe it was just me..
       Just a thought though.. how old is Rahim? 6 or 7? so Jalal would have to be what ?22-7,Fifteen years old when he had the kid?!!!😲 Maybe that's why Jodha was taken aback?πŸ˜†

Oh and your Mirchi bowl comments had me Rofling🀣 EK soaps!πŸ˜›
Edited by misaki - 10 years ago
sashashyam thumbnail
Sangeeta, my poor girl, what a disaster!  How on earth did it happen? I usually save  my posts para by para as I write them, but sometimes I forget to do so, and when I hit post and it does not work, the whole is gone and I am too tired to even think of doing it again. But to lose all your posts and your  buddy list - how can this happen? Have you tried to contact the India Forums admin about it?

As for all that you have written in the IF, in whichever show forum and on whatever thread, all you have to do is to go to this post, and at the bottom, hit the search button. You will get the whole lot at one go, arranged according to the thread.

Now, just for the record, here is the whole of that post of yours from which I had quoted:it is at
http://www.india-forums.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=3702073&TPN=4, but here is the whole of it just in case your gremlins are at it again!

No, my eye (it is, so far, only the left one) is not all right as yet. I am going to give the present medication another 2 days, and I am going back to the hospital come Tuesday. Wish me luck!

Affectionately,

Shyamala Aunty
e Posted: 15 August 2013 at 12:42am | IP Logged
Sangeeta, my dear girl,

Whatever would I do without you to pick up all my esoteric bits and pieces and have fun with them?

Chitra Banerjee Devakaruni, whom I got to know on my second posting in Washington in the mid-1990s,  wrote a very unusual book called The Mistress of Spices, which was made into a rather beautiful and fey film with Aishwarya Rai- a perfect piece of casting. I thought of that title, but as there was already a very interesting thread called The King and Queen of Spices, I went for this one. It is  an obvious riff on star-crossed, though so far you seem to be  the only one to have spotted that!

Next, thanks very,very much for picking up the ball and running with it for me, and so successfully too, in fact much better than I could have managed myself. Your linking this whole chilli fiasco up with Piu's amazing angle of the earth being  a common factor between Jalal  and Jodha, as also a healing force (mostly for him, as you have pointed out) raises the analysis to another and, for me, very  deep and soothing plane. Deep and raising might seem to be a contradiction in terms, but that is not really so.

I was simply blown away by the para about Jalal feeling rejected all over again by (what he sees as)  the nurturing he sought from Jodha having become an opportunity for her to deliberately hurt him. It is so very well put, and is so original as well, in terms of perceptiveness.

In short, your take on this is well and truly far away from all the pedestrian negativity and maddening squabbles that are now becoming the staple input in JA, alas!.This last is beginning to dismay me, and does not bode well for the future of this show, at least for me.

I am only sorry that you have not brought in your other fascinating idea of 'the other' ( I am yet to respond  to that post of yours, and probably never will manage it now, given my lousy time management and my eye problem. In fact I replied to Piu's pathbreaking analysis only  yesterday). That too would fit in here quite well.

As for @blue, I agree with you  in toto.  If Jodha had, immediately after issuing a firm and unequivocal denial, rushed to Jalal's side and done something to ease the burning, not out of fear  but out of sheer compassion, only would her character have  gone up several notches and become truly admirable, but the show would have been cut short, at a rough estimate,by  200 episodes.

Both would have manna from Heaven for us, especially the latter. Now we are going to be treated to those 200  episodes of  of yo yoing till the amar premis finally come round to hanging on each other's neck instead of seeking to get  hold of it and squeezing hard, real hard!

Given that the CVs  have fallen back so soon on the  done to death  mirchi  staple, one shudders at the prospect of what lies in store for us; probably every lousy cliche sourced from the Balaji data base of their old soaps, refitted in 16th century togs. And not carefully either, as with Bharmal talking to his ministers about 'Jalal', and not 'the Shahenshah', Ridiculous.

I too hope that the next two days in JA  are uneventful!

Shyamala Aunty

PS: You are a little out about what Jalal says to Jodha at the very end. He says You do not care for my burnt tongue, but you care for the feelings of those other people. You are not frightened of me, but  you are afraid of the ruswayi  of those people. Well, I will now go and tell Raja Bharmalji the truth...So the inference you have drawn there would not hold.

Originally posted by smiletherapy

Spice-crossed lovers! Another fantastic allusion, Aunty!!! Also, loved the reference to Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf? ha ha. And another delightful, insightful post Shyamala Aunty, which has sparked some great convo. 

I'm very short on time but cannot resist--so please bear with this somewhat disjointed response. 

It is indeed tiring the common plot points they used for this episode and the fact that they seem to be playing into everything in the same ways. Mainly I'm so annoyed that Jodha didn't clear up the situation--just in a practical sense, wouldn't you want to know if someone was deliberately sabotaging you? Even if you doubt Jalal--which how could you, but then we know Jodha's capable of great blindness when it comes to him--wouldn't you just make sure that he's lying, before dismissing the possibility of another saboteur? I guess she still doesn't recognize the insane crocodile infested waters she's in, nor the queen croc, MA. 

Originally posted by SonyaBlade

I'm having a really hard time understanding that when Jodha has done NOTHING wrong, how is it somehow that everyone manages to blame her still??? 

After all, its not as if he's going to die after eating extra spicy food. That's quite clear with the rant that he's able to produce...somehow his burnt throat didn't prevent him from yelling at her...

And I like this Jodha who is so not concerned about him. he's telling her that his throat is burnt and his face is on fire...and she just doesn't care. Personally I really like this...because I would find it unbelievable if she helps him one moment and then the next rages at how much she hates him. That would be a contradiction to me, this behavior of Jodha's is consistent at least with her acting aloof and distant from him.

Sonya, I don't think there's a contradiction in helping someone you hate. We can always have compassion for our enemies--though granted it's not always wise to do so. Speaking for myself, it irks me that she doesn't seem to care one iota about his burnt tongue, not only b/c she ought to want to clarify the situation and clear her name (and her cooking guru's apparenty--if I understood that dialogue well), BUT mainly b/c of her big reputation as the broken-winged pigeon savior. She's protrayed as a person with all these ideals and also as a compassionate healer. So where's that compassion for the guy she's married to and bound for life? And just practically speaking, why not be compassionate to him here? It costs her nothing to offer him water, or honey to soothe his tongue. She's not losing any dignity by doing so. Gaining some rather. And surely one catches more flies with honey as opposed to spice...πŸ˜‰

Honestly, I htink if they would play up that angle of her, it would help to explain more about why Jalal is fixated on Jodha as the one who would heal his wounds--which Shyamala Aunty (if I read correctly from some previous posts) seems to suggest have been generated from abandonment issues from his mom. That makes a lot of sense, and makes Piu's amazing catch on the earth symbolism all the more apt and inspiring--Jodha smearing earth on her head; Jalal healing his hands with earth (she is the healing mother earth (matrbhumi) for him; or even a healing Mother India!) With this angle, too perhaps the CV's can begin to bring them closer.

[Added just a few minutes after posting] Oh I forgot to mention--I think also the spice thing further enrages Jalal as it opens up that wound of abandonment/not being cared for, b/c after all food is nourishment and a source of comfort. That he wanted her to feed him, I thin on a deeper level, he wants her to care about him; and feeding someone is one way to do that. So, that he thinks she mirched it up is not just an insult for him him, but another rejection. 

To that end, I thought one of the interesting things Jalal said to Jodha in their final confrontation last night--he seemed to gain insight on her (as he is an ever diligent reader of people and situations)--sthg like "So for you the feelings of others is more important than yourself?!" (my trans might be off-please correct me if it is)  Although he cmae off looking furious--I thought he might have found that impressive as well (as well as another weakness to exploit); and so when he storms off saying he's going to tell Bharmal the truth, I'm hoping that he believes Jodha didn't overmirch his food and instead says sthg about how she impresses him with her concern for others, which lays down another step towards them at least being amicable towards one another??? 

Hats off to everyone by the way for such interesting responses and to Aunty for the great inspiration! I find myself unable to resist responding, even though some serious work deadlines are looming! 

And Aunty, for you and only you, I am hoping that the next two episodes of JA are uneventful. Please, get some rest!

Originally posted by: smiletherapy

Another superb post, Shyamala Aunty! I loved every bit of it. As long as your posts are, they always seem to end too fast for me!!! 

Yesterday afternoon, I had actually written a lengthy response to this post, that also included a reply to your reply in the Spiced-Crossed Lovers Thread. Unfortunately, as I hit the button to post, not only did the response not show up, but somehow all my previous posts had been wiped out as well! In fact, my entire account--posts, pm's, buddy lists--were gone. Arrghhh!

So I must thank you doubly for quoting me in your post, as it is one of the few records of what I've written in the forum, and also more importantly for honoring me with such a compliment. I cannot think of a greater compliment on the IF than to be featured in one of your posts! Thanks so much. Honestly, much of the credit really belongs to you and all of the other intelligent posters on your thread for inspiring me with such great insights.

There's so much I'd like to write and re-write in response, but I will have to wait until after this weekend. My thesis deadline looms near!

In the meantime, I hope you are resting up this weekend. I look forward most to the post of yours that says your eyes have healed!! 

Sangeeta

sashashyam thumbnail
My dear, far from minding any delay, I am only pleased that you took the time out to read this overlong post and then to comment on it so thoughtfully!

Well, as for the parts in blue, we are on exactly the same page, as you would have seen from the post itself (see the extracts below)

As  for Rahim, I think 5 years would be more like it, and that would bring Jalal to 17 when he and Salima supposedly had him.  Charles II of England, a notorious womaniser all his life, had illegitimate kids starting  from when he was 16, so Jalal would be a year late by those standards!πŸ˜‰

Come to think of if, this is 1562, the year of the Jalal-Jodha marriage, and Jalal was 13 1/2 when he was crowned in February 1556. That would make him  about 20 now, which seems far too young for having such a harem and so many begums. Where on earth would he have found the time, not to speak of the inclination, for coping with such a plenitude of  females, all clamouring for a piece of him? πŸ˜‰

To revert, I feel that Jodha is not engaging in any  such instant subtractions; I  think if is the carefree happiness of the mother-son duo that hits home with her.

Shyamala

Originally posted by: misaki

I'm sorry for the late reply..
     I always wondered what Jalal could do to harm Jodha in any way.. and after reading your analysis,i guess i can now surely say "not much". Since Jalal can't afford to send her home and neither can he "out" their relationship before her parents or the world,all Jodha has to do is go on about her day without "mirching" him up!

My comment in the post
: So then, all Jodha has to do is to pretend to be a happy newlywed in front of  her parents, listen to Jalal's daily dose of dire threats with one ear,  and carry on as before.

I kinda thought the scene where Jodha complains to Moti about Jalal was silly and not needed.I did not notice it then ,but i guess you are right when u say Jodha has changed because the previous one would have never admitted that she is hurting because of his actions .Typical Hubby-Wife scene.Now i don't mind that scene much πŸ˜†

I don't enjoy watching Ruqaiya and Jalal's encounters. It's blah.Right now for me, Rukaiya is the most irritating character on the soap. All she does is scream and laugh! My ears hurt!

The highlight however was definitely the scene with Rahim. Jodha never expected Jalal to have a kid?😲  she was aware of his other wives before her wasn't she? :P But i loved the scene maybe because i think i saw sort of a yearn in her eyes for that "normalcy" in her Marriage too.. or maybe it was just me..

My comment in the post:
For a long moment , Jodha's eyes hold an indefinable,  troubled  expression. Is it  a sudden  sense of isolation, of exclusion from what she assumes that this  pleasant lady, another spouse of their husband,  who moreveor has  a son from him (Jodha would assume that Rahim is Jalal's son),  enjoys?

Just a thought though.. how old is Rahim? 6 or 7? so Jalal would have to be what ?22-7,Fifteen years old when he had the kid?!!!😲 Maybe that's why Jodha was taken aback?πŸ˜†

Oh and your Mirchi bowl comments had me Rofling🀣 EK soaps!πŸ˜›