Devon ke Dev Mahadev

Did Ravan actually came to Swayambar :-/

Arnav90 thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 6
Posted: 10 years ago
A little confusion i had , Did Ravan actually came in Mata Sita's swayambar, I have seen both Ramayan's produced by Sagar's , They did'nt showed Ravan in swayambar, Also they did'nt showed that Ravan was already aware abt Shree Ram n Mata Sita before kidnapping , Also they did'nt showed Rishi's gvng Shrap to Bal Hanuman Ji abt forgetting his powers (Don't know if i missed the epi)

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

-Reeti- thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 3
Yes Ravan Had came there.
Upto my knowledge. Baki.. i dun knw. 😕
Angie12 thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 2
It is not in Valmiki Ramayan.  In Tulsi Ramyan, there is a line that Raavan came but did not touch the bow and left.  But I think there are other versions where it is mentioned that he came and failed to lift the bow.  In local street level Ramleelas, they show him coming.  But then street Ramleelas are full of melodrama.  So I am not sure about this.
Arnav90 thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 6
Originally posted by: Angie12

It is not in Valmiki Ramayan. In Tulsi Ramyan, there is a line that Raavan came but did not touch the bow and left. But I think there are other versions where it is mentioned that he came and failed to lift the bow. In local street level Ramleelas, they show him coming. But then street Ramleelas are full of melodrama. So I am not sure about this.

Thanxx dear, I had no clue abt Diff version of Ramayan
mithilarids thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
rishi giving shraap to hanuman is correct.. but ravans knowledge abt sita and ram.. is new for me also
Rishi_ thumbnail
even i have heard that ravan had come to this swayamvar.
i ve heard that ravan couldnt lift the bow.
and the same thing was shown today.
RamKiSeeta thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 8 Thumbnail + 6
In Valmiki's Ramayan, Ravan does not come to swayamvar. In fact, his character does not come until Aranya Kanda. There is also no swayamvar in Valmiki Ramayan. Ram just comes for Janak's yagna and picks up the bow there after hearing its tale.

In Tulsidas Ramayan, Ravan does not come to the swayamvar itself, but the bards narrating Janak's heritage mention that Ravan tried to lift the bow once before but failed. Ravan never came to the swayamvar in Tulsidas Ramayan, or else he would have known about Ram and Sita. Even in Ramcharitmanas, Ravan finds out about Sita from Shurpanakha only, after the whole nose cutting scene.

Ravan coming to Sita's swayamvar is a story from other versions of Ramayan, not Valmiki or Tulsidas. That is why neither of the Sagars' Ramayans have showed this. They mostly followed Valmiki and RCM.
Rishi_ thumbnail
Originally posted by: JanakiRaghunath

In Valmiki's Ramayan, Ravan does not come to swayamvar. In fact, his character does not come until Aranya Kanda. There is also no swayamvar in Valmiki Ramayan. Ram just comes for Janak's yagna and picks up the bow there after hearing its tale.

In Tulsidas Ramayan, Ravan does not come to the swayamvar itself, but the bards narrating Janak's heritage mention that Ravan tried to lift the bow once before but failed. Ravan never came to the swayamvar in Tulsidas Ramayan, or else he would have known about Ram and Sita. Even in Ramcharitmanas, Ravan finds out about Sita from Shurpanakha only, after the whole nose cutting scene.

Ravan coming to Sita's swayamvar is a story from other versions of Ramayan, not Valmiki or Tulsidas. That is why neither of the Sagars' Ramayans have showed this. They mostly followed Valmiki and RCM.

if its not in valmiki ramayan then it may be a local folktale and in that case ur right.
since valmiki ramayan is always considered to be the original and authentic ramayan.

so other versions may be just local versions which may not be true.
Angie12 thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 2
Originally posted by: JanakiRaghunath

Janaki, thanks for clarifying.  I know that there is a line in Tulsidas Ramayan about Ravan at least coming to lift the bow.  But it makes sense that it was at some other time and not at Swayamvar as he was hearing about Ram/Sita for the first time from Shrupnakha even in Tulsi Ramayan. 
RamKiSeeta thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 8 Thumbnail + 6
Originally posted by: Angie12

Janaki, thanks for clarifying.  I know that there is a line in Tulsidas Ramayan about Ravan at least coming to lift the bow.  But it makes sense that it was at some other time and not at Swayamvar as he was hearing about Ram/Sita for the first time from Shrupnakha even in Tulsi Ramayan. 

Yes, I heard somewhere that Ravan tried to lift the dhanush during Sita's childhood, when she was really young. It was shortly after Janak announced the vow that his daughter would marry whoever lifted the bow. Tulsidas may have referred to that incident, although it's quite gross that Ravan would have tried to marry a 5 or 6 year old Sita. 🤢
Edited by JanakiRaghunath - 10 years ago