14th Aug WU Ravan comes for Swayamvar - Page 2

Posted: 10 years ago
Originally posted by Angie12

Meenakshi,  so you think tomorrow Urmila will be falling for Lakshman.๐Ÿ˜†  So far she seems to like Ram as a best choice for Sita, but doesn't think that highly of fruit-stealing Lakshman.
After Lakshman speaks & Ram breaks the dhanush, Urmila may change her thoughts๐Ÿ˜† 
Even he should be allowed some show of strength though ficticious, to create a better impression. ๐Ÿ˜†
Originally posted by Angie12

Misti, I haven't seen the episode yet.  Will see it in the evening.  I was waiting to see the furious Lakshman as I have always liked his blunt style. 

I think even idealists become prisoner of their image (sometimes not intentionally) but because they get bogged down by demands of people around them.  As a prince or even an exiled prince,  Ram did achieve great milestones.  He was the one who was above caste system when he ate Shabri's berries that were partially being eaten by her.  Then all that providing justice to Ahiliya, Sugreev's wife (forgot her name) and fighting for Sita.  But then once he became a king, he couldn't provide the same justice to his wife even though he too suffered.  He too lived the same lifestyle where he slept on the floor, ate saatvik food that is served in ashrams and refused to marry another woman. 

So it was good that they showed him protesting the wrong here too.  I agree with you that wrong is wrong and somebody has to stand up for it.  Probably Vishwamitra too had the same problem as Ram did once he became a king.  Vishwamitra too was a rebel of his times where he challenged Brahmin's hierachy (Vashisht was his arch rival) and became a Raj rishi (it was different from Brahmrishi).  But he too probably got imprisioned due to expectations that come with a title. 

Even though I have not watched the episode, I like this interpretation that Ram protested, but Vishwamitra was the one who asked him to back down.  I am curious to see if they would end this Ramayan with Ram's coronation or would continue to show Sita's second exile.  I want to see how they explain Ram's actions.

This is one thing that I am liking about Mahadev where they do pay attention to such details.  Now that I have finished Sati's era,  I liked how they showed these interpretations of Mahadev in Sati era where he was shown as accepting people unconditionally even if they do not conform to society's pre-defined standards. 

Angie Sati's portions were the best part of this show. I have been watching this show from the beginning on an on and off basis. I did watch Sati's part and did not miss episodes but left watching the show on a regular basis after the marriage of Shiv and Parvati. I could not accept some of the things that they were showing regarding Parvati. I know that this is a show on Mahadev and thats why he is going to get importance but I could not understand and still cannot understand that why Parvati had to be brought down so that Mahadev could get importance.   I could not accept how Adishakti was being projected and I left the show. Personally I also feel that all Gods are equal so I do not like when one is brought down for another to get importance. I did watch some episodes here and there but the charm that was there for me during the Sati phase had gone. Even few days back when they showed Parvati saying that she is not trikaal darshi like Mahadev, I again got irritated and started loosing interest in the show. Thankfully they have clarified in the recent episodes that it was just Mahadev and Parvati having fun..so I have kind of come back to this show.

Anyway coming back to Ramayan in Mahadev yesterday, I also liked that Ram did protest. I am liking the fact that they are showing these internal conflicts in Ram regarding his attraction for Sita and his duties. As for Ram suffering, yes he did suffer when Sita was sent to the forest but that does not justify the injustice that was done to Sita. I do understand that a ruler has responsibilites towards his subjects and he also has to prove himself to his subjects that he is above personal feelings...but injustice is injustice.
Edited by misti73 - 10 years ago
@Misti:

You had recommended Mahadev to me sometime in May of last year.  Finally, I started watching it in September or so when Kartikeye was born.  I had the same problem as you had, where Parvati's depiction irritated me a lot.  So I stopped watching it even though I liked the characterization of Mahadev and Mohit Raina.  But it was never that gripping to me the way they were showing everything. 

I was planning to give a try to Ramayan just to see their treatment.  But then I decided to watch Mahadev from scratch after Prem posted that first episode.  I was totally hooked to it and watched almost all Sati episodes in 2-3 weeks.  Now I am to the point where Shiv is getting married to Parvati and I am finding Mahadev hilarious here.  But I am beginning to see circles from the beginning of Parvati time.  For now, I don't mind them as the show is still good.  But I doubt that I will make an effort to watch episodes after Parvati's marriage as they were just average.  I may watch Jalandhar time period as I want to see Mohit's portrayal of Jalandhar. 

In any case, I would say that the first three months of Sati period were the best of this show - actors (both lead and side), direction, script, execution, editing etc.was just top notch. I know Mohit is superb as Shiv, but I was also loved Mouni's portrayal of Sati.   Now my expectations from TV serials are quite low after my previous experience and I know that even a best show barely can maintain that initial quality after 6-7 months.  So I still appreciate this PH for doing something totally innovative in a mythological series. 

And I like how they are showing details about Sita as well as internal conflicts of Ram.  I agree with everything you have mentioned about injustice being done to Sita despite putting one's self interests over subjects.  That's why I always see Ramayan from Sita's perspective and I get turned off if her portrayal is not up to my expectations.   
thanx for the update..best part was the live commentary from swarglok..