vssaras thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 2
Posted: 9 years ago
Originally posted by: lovanika

The movie looks amazing!!!

Can't wait for the Friday.
How is the buzz for this movie????

According to this tweet..it is good!...let's see...😊

@ShahidsKOOLboy: @boxofficedetail wat ur haider 1st day prediction????

@boxofficedetail: @ShahidsKOOLboy tough to tell but buzz is guuuddd at metro cities...
vssaras thumbnail
http://www.theguardian.com/film/filmblog/2014/sep/23/haider-shahid-kapoor-hindi-hamlet-vishal-bhardwaj

'I have a dark side': Haider's Shahid Kapoor on being the new Hindi Hamlet

The Bollywood heart-throb discusses his exciting new role in Vishal Bhardwaj's Hindi adaptation of Shakespeare's tragedy

Shahid KapoorHunky Hamlet ... Shahid Kapoor will take on Shakespeare's tragic hero in Vishal Bhardwaj's Haider. Photograph: STRDEL/AFP/Getty Images

Shahid Kapoor epitomises the archetypal Bollywood hero, commonly associated with the conventional masala films that cater to an audience that readily gorges on escapist fare. A trained dancer, with moves that would have impressed Michael Jackson, Kapoor was catapulted to stardom at just 21 with his first movie Ishq Vishk (2003) a teen romance that had him instantly pegged as a romantic idol. Now aged 33, clocking 11 years and 24 films as a star of Hindi cinema, he's still a heart-throb for millions, and it's easy to see why. Ruggedly handsome, he retains a glimmer of the boyish charm of his youth. Now he is ready for what could be a career-defining role in Vishal Bhardwaj's Hindi adaptation of William Shakespeare's Hamlet, titled Haider.

Are you a tragic figure? Do you have anything in common with Hamlet? 

His journey is very complex. I wouldn't say that I have seen such drama in my personal life, but yes I have seen a lot early in life, so I could connect with the emotions the character went through. But if you can't draw a parallel in your life, then you'd pretty much be at a loss to play the part. You feel you don't know if this guy is OK or a bit off his rocker. It's nice to delve into the dark side a little bit. I enjoy that. I have a dark side, for sure. I don't think I could play this role if I didn't. 

Your father, Pankaj Kapur, was a well-known classically trained stage and screen actor. What did he teach you?

Since a very early age I've been heavily influenced by my father - specifically acting being discussed, not just being a star. When I started, my dad would tell me: "If you're going to act, do Hamlet." It's funny that all these years later, that's what I'm doing.

Taking on Shakespeare is another level from Bollywood, considering all the legends who have played the role?

Yes, playing Hamlet is something that's extremely exciting and at the same time it's a little scary. It's a big ask from any actor, and every actor has said that, from the greatest actors who have performed it. I don't know why Vishal chooses to cast me, but I just feel very thankful that he does.

Shahid Kapoor in HaiderKind of a big deal ... Shahid Kapoor in Haider Photograph: PR

What prompted you to shave your hair off?

There are certain films you do just for the box office and there are certain films you do which are a cinema of passion. If I hadn't have shaved my head, it would be like, "Dude, it's just make up." You need to tell people: "This film is a big deal for me."

Has it interfered with your status as India's most eligible bachelor?

My father wants to get me married off. He thinks I'm getting old now because I'm 33 and I'm not going to be able to find a girl any more. He says: "You've got so used to being on your own that you probably won't be able to adjust to anybody now." I get those lectures quite often. I do crave normalcy. It's nice to find somebody that you can have a normal relationship with.

How would you sum up the journey of Shahid'?

I'm an actor at heart. It's probably the biggest part of my life. When I'm not working I feel I've had a loss of identity; like I don't know who I am. I've given 11 years of my life to this and probably all of my adulthood. I don't know who else I am. This is me.

Haider is released on 2 October

vssaras thumbnail
http://masala.com/i-had-to-support-deepika-shraddha-kapoor-in-dubai-179205.html

'I Had to Support Deepika': Shraddha Kapoor in Dubai

BY MASALA.COM REPORTER  Tuesday, 23 September 2014

The lead actors of Haider, Shraddha and Shahid Kapoor, were in town to promote Haider

Vishal Bhardwaj's Haider is one of the most anticipated films of the year. The leading pair, Shraddha and Shahid Kapoor was recently in Dubai to promote the film ahead of its release on October 2. Masala! quizzed them about their respective characters

Tell us about the experience of working with such an amazing starcast?

Shraddha Kapoor: I was completely awestruck. I felt like a little mouse on sets while they were around. It was in my own head that what would they think of me, but honestly I got a lot of warmth and love from everyone. Vishal Sir had my back, he gives you so much love.

Shahid Kapoor: I don't think the film could have been complete without these people, including Shraddha. The way the characters are portrayed, it made Haider Haider. There's so much to learn from every actor, even Shraddha. The freshness she has and the endearing quality she has got, it's amazing! It's like standing in the frame and learning as little bit of acting with the entire cast.

Is Haider more complex than Charlie?

Shahid: Charlie is 20 per cent of what Haider is. I descended into the madness of Haider. My parents were worried for me actually because I was not myself even after the shoot; I was so much into the character.

It was reported in the media that the mother-son relationship depicted in the film is quite ambiguous. How is that so?

Shahid: The original play of Hamlet is quite complex. We've made the film for mainstream audiences and there's no such thing that would make the audience feel uncomfortable. But eventually it's Shakespeare's play so if you look for it you'll find it and if you don't, you might not.

Your first reaction when you were signed for the film?

Shraddha: I was thrilled. I could not believe Vishal Sir was signing me for such an intense movie. Like he believed that I could do the character of Arshia.

Shahid: I remember Shraddha called me and said, "I don't care if you are in the film, it's Vishal Bharadwaj's movie and I am in it!" She was that excited.

Shraddha, a few weeks ago you were accused of being cold towards the media, photographers in particular. Recently, you voiced your support for Deepika Padukone. As stars, where does one draw line between what is acceptable and unacceptable coverage?

Shraddha: Well, umm, I had to support Deepika. I believed her response was legitimate. There are certain things that media should be careful about. I am playing the role of journalist and I play quite a careful one. Media should be responsible and the reporters as well.

Who is your favourite Shakespeare character?

Shahid: Hamlet

Shraddha: Ophelia

Edited by vssaras - 9 years ago
vssaras thumbnail
VB said that #Haider Team will be doing screening for BW folks & media 5-6 days before release..so we can expect reviews in 2-3 days time...can't wait!...🥳
MereMahiyaa. thumbnail
Originally posted by: vssaras

VB said that #Haider Team will be doing screening for BW folks & media 5-6 days before release..so we can expect reviews in 2-3 days time...can't wait!...🥳

Oooh thats great 😛
awesomegurti thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 2
Both Shahid Kapoor and Shraddha Kapoor have a good fan following in Dubai. So it made sense to promote their coming film Haider there before its release on October 2.

As the release date approaches, the two stars have stepped on the pedal and gotten busy with promotions. Shahid Kapoor who had lately been shooting for Shaandaar with Alia Bhatt in the UK, has taken a break for Haider promotion.

He and Shraddha Kapoor flew to Dubai and had a special interaction with the media and select invitees on Tuesday. Shraddha looked wow in Andrew GN's Spring 2014 collection dress.

Speaking about the film, Shahid said, "It's a revenge family drama and there's a strong dynamic of family and relationships. There's an edginess and complexity to my role."

Shahid also posed with his latest Filmfare cover.

Directed by Vishal Bhardwaj, Haider is the Indianized adaptation of Shakespearean tragedy Hamlet'. The movie tells the tale of a young man who wants to avenge his father's death at the hands of his uncle who also entrapped his mother. Shraddha Kapoor's character is that of desi Ophelia.

Haider is set in Kashmir and also stars Tabu, Kay Kay Menon and Irrfan Khan.

Catch more photos of Shahid Kapoor and Shraddha Kapoor from their Dubai visit ahead.
vssaras thumbnail
vssaras thumbnail

vssaras thumbnail
http://m.koimoi.com/bollywood-news/box-office-is-very-unfathomable-unpredictable-these-days-shahid-kapoor

"Box Office Is Very Unfathomable & Unpredictable These Days" - Shahid Kapoor

Vishal Bhardwaj films are considered niche products. And with Haider looking glossy, filled with angst still, one would assume that the film is for limited people. Much has already been spoken about its clash with Bang Bang but the conviction of Vishal Bhardwaj on his product speaks volumes about how sure he is about his film. Usually such films pick up much later with a word of the mouth publicity. In an interview with Koimoi, we asked Shahid if he agrees that box office prospects of films like Haider are limited. He didn't agree on the same.

The actor explained, "It is difficult to describe, what film will work at what scale anymore. In the last years, whenever people from the industry meet and discuss it, the fact remains that we all agree box office is very unfathomable and unpredictable. It is a popular opinion. The audience has a mind of their own and it is impossible to gauge how many people will come to watch which film and to what extent will they like it. It is driven by a lot of factors. I can't be sure whether Haider will strictly be a nice film or even whether it will connect with a large audience, small audience or medium audience. I think Haideris a film made from heart and if people get touched by what we have created then chances are that it will reach out to a lot of people. That is something which we will find out post release."

But Haider seems like a movie in which a lot of effort has gone at an emotional level too. There were reports that the film's budget was being kept tight to ease the process of recovering cost. The film was shot in fewer days as well. Shahid agrees that the film was very emotionally draining out and the physical expectations too were high. He said, "It was very emotionally taxing to be in a film like Haider. It's a very intense character, to portray his journey was very tiring. Being in the film was like a crisis situation but once it was over, I was really tired. When I was shooting there was a strong demand for me to keep it together. After it was over, I was in bed for 18 hours to rejuvenate. We have a grueling schedule in this film and shot it in 55 days straight. It was really cold in Kashmir. When you see the film you'll be confident it was shot over 80 days. We shot long hours, shift locations everyday. In a scene where cold is getting to you, you are standing in ice and you have to perform a break down scene ups your standard as a performer. It was very draining but I am very proud of the film we have made."

Haider starring Shahid alongside TabuKay Kay MenonIrrfan Khan and Shraddha Kapoor is all set to clash with Bang Bang on 2nd October. Trade buzz suggests that the 5 day long weekend will prove beneficial for both films.