ArHi FF:Adaptation Note Page 35

RockBarbie thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail + 8
Posted: 10 years ago
Summary:

Payal's expensive wedding leaves the Gupta's penniless. An idyllic life comes to a halt when Khushi finds herself looking for a new job and a lifestyle foreign to everything she had come to experience.

Note: Khushi and Payal discuss Elizabeth Gaskell's novel and it's characters mostly, North and South which I will be using as an instrument to derive conclusions. Hopefully the subtlety will not be too loud.

For alerts, use:

Alerts on Twitter, if anyone is interested. This one.

Index:

01. Chapter I - Annihilation - Page 01
02. Chapter II - Acceleration - Page 05
03. Chapter III - Reflection - Page 08
04. Chapter IV - Interference - Page 11
05. Chapter V - Doppler Effect - Page 13
06. Chapter VI - Chaos Theory - Page 16
07. Chapter VII - Sonic Boom - Page 18
08. Chapter VIII - Refraction - Page 21
09. Chapter IX - Space-Time Continuum - Page 24
10. Chapter X - Farad - Page 28
11. Chapter XI - Gravity - Page 32
Edited by RockBarbie - 10 years ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

RockBarbie thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail + 8

Chapter I: Annihilation

"Margaret Hale is a sanctimonious brat and John Thornton is an ass." Khushi cradled her cell phone between her neck and shoulder as her hands worked on the dough. She rolled her eyes when she heard the shrill on the other end of the phone wishing she could simply drop the phone as the shrill bit into her ears.

"Did you read the novel already?" Khushi's hands stilled at the question.

"No…but Payal-"

"How many chapters have you read then?" Payal demanded.

"Well…about twenty chapters or so but-"

"Then we aren't discussing North and South anymore. Seriously Khushi, you should first read the novel completely before passing on judgments without knowing the content in its entirety." Payal's words rolled easily in her ears and she tried to reason with her sister.

"Okay fine!" Khushi replied waspishly. Khushi wasn't familiar to the world of classical literature. During one of their calls when both avoided talking about the current issues their family faced, Payal randomly started to talk about classics. After three days of Payal's continual insistence, Khushi had picked up North and South by Elizabeth Gaskell to break her literature celibacy.

Their conversations had become superficial after Payal's wedding and they both had an unspoken agreement about leaving the problems of real life alone. Or at least that's what Khushi was intending to do. She believed it was unfair to bring about distressing news during the initial days of married life of her sister.

"How is everyone?" Payal asked softly. Khushi sighed deeply without offering an immediate reply. She could feel her mother's eyes hovering towards the kitchen making Khushi skittish to stand there and talk to Payal freely.

"Everyone is fine Payal. You should stop worrying about things here and concentrate on knowing and adjusting with your new family." Khushi forced cheerfulness in her voice and repeated the words she had said many times before. She could hear Payal taking in a battered breath.

"The price of new will be paid by the blood of old, is it not?" Her voice was shaky.

Khushi flailed her arms after washing them thoroughly and wiped it easily on her kurta uncaring about the blobby trail it left on lime green cotton.

"I am so looking forward for moving out of this damn dusty place." Khushi grumbled. Before Payal had a chance to respond, she piled on. "It's not like Delhi isn't as polluted as here but still it's the national capital and all, you know? Hey, did you know Delhi has a museum dedicated only to toilets? Weird, isn't it? I can understand the train museum but one for toilet is pushing a bit far isn't it? And that pillar-" One of Khushi's arm massaged her shoulder and neck joint having been resting her cellphone for a while there.  She started her rant to stop talking about their permanent relocation to her aunt's house in Delhi. It had come as a surprise but was an inevitable decision.

"Slow down a little, Khushi," Payal interjected Khushi's monologue understanding what her younger sister was doing. When Khushi didn't immediately reply, she continued. "Are you excited about going to Delhi?" She asked softly.

"Payal, watching a bacteria reproduce would be exciting than an evening in this dull town's main street," Khushi grumbled earning a laughter from her older sister. She was lying and Payal knew it but Khushi was glad when Payal didn't contest her exaggerated lie.

"I will have to go in couple of minutes. We are expecting some guests." Payal said softly. Khushi's heart gave a sharp twinge at Payal's use of 'we'. It was a perfectly placed word used to denote oneself and others specifically which didn't include her.

Payal was married for only three weeks and Khushi was dissecting pronouns used by her sister and grieving over her absence. They had done everything together all their lives and suddenly that blanket of familiarity was yanked below her feet. There were several times since Payal's marriage she had forgotten the absence of her sister and simply called her out asking if she wanted something from market. The resonating silence made her chest ache.

"Okay." Khushi replied. Her feet were pacing non-stop as the jitteriness she had felt from before was returning to her tenfold. Payal was a huge calming factor on her life and the rational and calming stop to her irrational train of thoughts and panic attacks. With her gone, coping with normalcy was becoming a huge challenge.

"I will try to come and meet you before you leave," Payal said in a small voice. "But you know how he gets…" Payal managed to convey that the deciding factor in her life now was her new husband. Khushi felt bitterness flooding her mouth.

"Okay." Khushi stuck to monosyllables. There were also familial complications in that said arrangement as Payal's new family were still harboring mild distaste towards the incidents which happened during wedding.

"Don't skip pages and read the last chapter, okay?" Payal admonished gently.

Khushi's snort was unladylike. "I am sure the brat and the ass will get together in the end after a lame misunderstanding and thirty pages of pining for each other." Khushi replied flippantly. She could practically hear Payal grin on the other end of the phone.

However when she spoke, all traces of humor was gone from her voice. "Sometimes we don't look for life's milestones the protagonists achieve but the way they deal with circumstances presented to them and with that the changes which come up on them making them evolve to be better people for their family and their society."

Khushi's eyes travelled at that very moment to the living room where the creditors were getting signatures from her father. They were taking away the house as a payment to the debt which her father Shashi Gupta was unable to repay – the debt the family incurred during Payal's wedding.

Khushi swallowed a lump in her throat and maintained her signature high voltage carefree voice. "I know Margaret Hale will start appreciating her life in Milton. I know there are solid reasons behind John Thornton's actions. I know. I know Payal. I know how it works. I know how we wish life work." She repeated drawing in comfort from fictional character's ability to adapt and evolve during course of time.  "In stories like these the characters evolve into an elevated state of mind where they find contentment and peace by the end of journey. The nostalgia of the past is taken as a lesson well learned while dreams of future are architectural blue prints of the destined legacy. However in real life, people simply…give up." There was an odd catch in Khushi's voice when she saw her mother wipe her eyes as the creditors took back the signed document from her father's hand.

"Khushi…I am sorry but I have to go. He is calling me." Payal said hurriedly. Khushi didn't know if she had heard the last part or not and for her sake, she hoped Payal was distracted enough through her monologue depicting her bleary point of view.

"Everything is going to be fine Payal." Khushi said with strange sense of detachment encompassing her as the home she grew up in was already alienating her.

Her cellphone fell from her hands and only then she allowed the distress of her mind and nerves to take control of her as she succumbed to another panic attack.

The startled cry of her mother was a distant buzz and she wantonly embraced the approaching darkness.

nishi22 thumbnail
Awesum concept...
Thanx for pm..
Edited by nishi22 - 10 years ago
tvpal007 thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 5
Very interesting RBji...🤗
Loved the concept👍🏼
Edited by tvpal007 - 10 years ago
IronButterfly thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail Networker 1 Thumbnail
Another great story in the making it seems.

Interesting start.

All the best for this.
vgedin thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 5
M

~Edit~

What is with you and grief, I can feel my gut twist painfully reading this. 

Literature often mirrors humans and society, yet there are very few works that refrain from any romanticizing of darker emotions, perhaps because they want art to reflect some hope. 

Payal doesn't seem to finding married life anywhere close to a bed of roses, and of course they would be guilt weighing down on her. Hopefully, the family will find their way out of these difficult times.

But the thing about Gaskell is that she hardly sees anything good in city life, she depicts them as cruel, heartless and a land for the moneyminded. I want to see what you do with this story, whilst  drawing conclusions using N&S.

No worries about the PM, you know I am your eternal stalker 😃
Edited by vgedin - 10 years ago
Amour_Reet thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail + 5
another beautiful story .. all the best  !😳

first .. do i need to read the north and south before reading this ..if yes..can you please post the link to its ebook ?

watching the bacteria reproduce ... haha .. really nice one

hmm.. dissecting we ..! khushi feels left out n the pang of jealousy in the process of adapting herself in payal's absence in her family .

incidents ??? ...myself wary about her marriage .was dahej a part of that ? how he gets ??? . so both of the families situated in lucknow ? while khushi planning to move to delhi after losing the house . i admire her strength . well in your fictions women are always strong .
i love the subtle way khusi trying to convince herself and assure payal that she knows how the life work ..and she would success in her try to adapt in the approaching darkness

the chapter end with losing the house . ..wonder where would she find her own house .

would be eagerly waiting !
Edited by Amour_Reet - 10 years ago
ShikhaKhushi thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 4
Oooh! Interesting start!!! Waiting for more!!!
manikka thumbnail
another wonderful story...interesting start...
thnks for the Pm dear...
Happytwinkle thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail Networker 3 Thumbnail
nyc one...
thanks for the pm
Twinkle