Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Nidsubh007 thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 7
Posted: 10 years ago
Sorry I've been away! I have just not had enough time to catch up with stories on the forum for the past 2 weeks.

Finally read the last 2 chapters and just love the equation between Anjali & Ajay! So they had there first date and both seemed happy by it. Anjali thinking that Arnav & Ajay will get along made me laugh!!!!

Glad Arnav is watching Kamla! I wonder what she is up too! I hate her being near Aanya.
ForLoveofBarun thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail + 3

Originally posted by: dhakkanmaster

CHAPTER 13

Akash as a father ...so cute

Payal worried why the two Raizada brothers so tensed up. It was s o nice of Khushi to comfort Arnav. But alas, the possessive heart of a brother. It will not beat properly untill it will be sure of Anjali's  welfare.

So mami bond is back in action again. When mami is here why to fear.

"Khushi, I know how devastatingly handsome I am.  But if you are going to open your mouth this wide, I may have to get you Aanya's bib. You know for all the drool" 

This was so flirtatious. Ohh my now i need a bib since i am drooling on Arnav...Muahh i love you di for characterizing this Arnav.

Intelligent way of naming...but lemme guess, all the mentioned characters from their respective books and cartoons are your favourite.

And the mention of Jaipur's bazaars. The markets are very colorful. Indu di have you ever been to jaipur, if not pls do visit the place and when you do so drop me a line too. I'll love to meet an amazing writer like you and I can give you a personal tour too.

Wear rajasthani, what better than wearing bandhej or lehariya...

fantastic update. 

Anu (Hope I can call you that :) )  You are back!πŸ€—

Jaipur is in my list of places to visit.  I have not been there. Some day I will, in the meantime  I have a fabulous set of photographs saved from Flickr of Rajasthan, from deserts to the cities.  So sweet of you to offer a tour, you never know I may show up at your door stepπŸ˜ƒ

I love this Arnav.  The brief moments during during Akash's Sangeet and a few times after that Arnav was shown this way, used to stop my heart❀️  So had to bring that back and only for and with Khushi.

Love,
Indu.

ForLoveofBarun thumbnail

Originally posted by: dhakkanmaster

PART-14

What a melodic start...It is one of my favorite songs 

So Anjali playing cupid for his friend...

So Radhika is a straight-forward girl who asked Anjali about her and Nitin in clear words, a very intelligent thing to do. When you ask in clear terms a question which is bothering you to the other party involved you save time to misunderstand the other one. 

Anjali is waiting for the evening ...me too.

Now Manohar questioning Kamla was a good one what raizada's lacked in the show was that they never even questioned suspicious activities.

And Arnav found Shashi's behaviour odd with respect to Kamla. Keep your eyes open Arnav, you will finish off Shyam for good this time.

Ajay is also impatient for the evening.

Now I have complains regarding Anjali's dress. I do not know how much you know about lehariya and bandhej work. And secondly I may be wrong myself, but still I have this urge to express my opinion  -- lehariya with mirror work is an absolute disaster. Lehariya and mirrors look extremely odd together so these two works do not even appear together commonly. Usually mirrors are embroidered with bandhej and batik work. lehariya is mostly teamed up with gota work and the best gota work is available in the market with the name of '-1 ka (minus one') gota work. Anyways this is what i feel. I hope i have not offended you.

Orchids are mine favorite too. And anjali greatful that he did not present her with roses.  

Vintage cars...wowww...

The new jeeja-saala duo are so similar.

great update

Waiting for next

I was not entirely sure if Leheriya and mirror work go together.  And just because I have never seen it, I made it up.  But I guess you are right Bandej it is.  - there you go edited in my update :)  Thanks😊
Edited by ForLoveofBarun - 10 years ago
srishti_jain thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
I have updated my comments for both chapter 13 and 14 on page 44! Do read them! Fantastic work! πŸ˜Š πŸ˜Š
ForLoveofBarun thumbnail

Originally posted by: srishti_jain

Reserved for chapter 13!

EDITED:

I love the names that you give to each and every part. I know I have mentioned this before but I had to tell this to you again because I love all those titles! Excellent!

The beginning was so cute, Akash playing with his little Aanya, I can imagine Akash doing that but I found it a little funny! I liked the whole scene where the four of them were sitting together and enjoying themselves and watching Aanya play. Payal, the quiet sister is indeed very observant, I liked how she noticed Arnav's mind being pre-occupied with something else. I always waned to see Arnav-Payal and Akash-Khushi bonding on the show, we never got to see it. But thanks to you I get to see all of that! I like these protective brothers but I really want to see Anjali's and Ajay's love blossom. They are right at their part, for whatever happened with Anjali shouldn't happen to any woman. 

So Mamiji is all set to be Bond again, she really likes to play a detective and she gets so excited. So Shyam's accomplice is Shyamala, she has Shyam in her name, well I'm thinking too much. 

The next Arshi part cracked me up to no extent! πŸ˜† Khushi drooling over Arnav, well actually it's always the other way round. I loved the way Arnav teased her for the Teej fast and I can't wait for Teej. Fantastic!

I liked the whole description of their pet animals being named after comic book characters. I can't believe that Anjali still missed the glances exchanged by the elders for the whole match-making thing, she was the one playing the cupid with Nani during Payash's marriage, how can she not know what's cooking up inside that brain of her Nani's. 

I knew Nitin liked Radhika, the way Anjali forced Nikhil to confess to her was also nice. She is a great friend indeed. And again she decided to be the cupid, seriously she has done these things so many times, how does she not realise this when it is happening to her. 

And Mr. Rathod is too bold, he directly asked her out on a date and also wished for her to wear some Rajasthani attire, he definitely is not affected by the warnings given to him by the other two ASR's. And Anjali has even taken the pain to go and shop for a dress to fulfill Rathodji's wish. Sweet! I'm looking forward to Anjali Ajay's date. Excellent update.

Thanks for the PM! πŸ˜Š πŸ˜Š

Thank you my dear!  Shyamala s actually Kamalaji from the show under a false name in Shantivan.  If you recall she is the one that Shyam says is in need of money and Anjali gives her money.  She later tries to black-mail Shyam.

I am glad you liked this. :)  I loved the title for this particular chapter myself, because indeed it was all about conversations πŸ˜ƒ
ForLoveofBarun thumbnail

Originally posted by: srishti_jain

Reserved for chapter 14!

If this was a PRELUDE to a Date, I really don't know how the real date would be for this was just perfect, and I'n super duper excited! Rathodji is a charmer and he knows all the ways to make a woman blush and admire him. His looks definitely do half the trick. 

Ajay is happy to know about the match-making plans of the elders, that was good to know. Anjali must have looked beautiful if she would have ever worn a dress like that on the show, Amazing! I like how Ajay could sense Anjali's presence with that distinct smell and Anjali's excitement sure knew no bounds, she would actually have a very tough time hiding her teen like enthusiasm on going on a date with her favourite celebrity. 

I loved everything, from the vintage car, to the chopper arrangement, the beautiful pink city. Ajay is very royal in every sense and he made Anjali feel like a princess in every possible way!

Khub jamegi jab mil bhaitenge yeh do diwane
This cracked me up a little, our dear Arnav has serious competition when it comes to impressing the person you love.

Ajay couldn't stop admiring Anjali and I'm so,so excited for the next part. Thanks for the PM! Brilliant work done. Needless to say, you are a wonderful writer and you rock! love ya! Stay blessed!  Thanks for the PM! πŸ˜Š πŸ˜Š

Darling!  you have no idea what the date is going to be like - trust me πŸ˜‰  and you can read it in the next couple of hours πŸ˜Š
ForLoveofBarun thumbnail
Hello Dearies,

Thanks for all your lovely comments, feedbacks, speculations on the last chapter.  This one is a long one, but I am sure you will be glad that I left it that way πŸ˜‰.  Without further ado here is the much awaited date night.  Read enjoy and comment.

English version is posted right after this Hinglish one.

Disclaimer:  The photographs used here are not mine. They have been procured for illustrative purposes from internet sources for public consumption

Pyaar in the Pink City

Part 15

Blazing Hearts & Soothing Rains

Udhar Tum Hasin Ho, Idhar Dil Jawaan Hai
Ye Rangin Raaton Ki, Ek Daastaan Hai
Ye Kaisa Hai Naghma Ye Kya Daastaan Hai
Bataa E Mohabbat Mera Dil Kahaan Hai

Mere Ghar mein Aayi Hui Hai Bahaar
Quayamat hai phir bhi, karoon intezaar
Mohabbat, kuch aisi, saza de rahi hai
Ki khud raat angdayiyan le rahi hai

Jidar dekhthi hoon, Nazaara Jawaan hai!

~Lyrics of the Song 'Udhar tum hasin ho' from the movie Mr. & Mrs. 55

"Namaste Hukum" said the brightly turbaned man dressed in white, his hands folded and head slightly bowed.  "Namste Jaipal.  Sab log kaise hain?" asked Ajay.  He continued to hold Anjali's hand loosely after having helped her down from the chopper at the end of their hour long flight.  "Sab theek hai Hukum.  Aapke aane ka intezaar tha, sab kuch tayyar hai."  Ajay nodded and looking at Anjali said" Anjali yeh Jaipal hain.  Mano iss chotti si settlement ka head.  Aur Jaipal, yeh hai Anjali ji."  Namste madam. Aayiye" he said guiding them towards the settlement of mud houses and cottages that seemed to be spread in some sort of a village encampment.  She realized they were on the edge of the desert, well past Jaisalmer, for she had recognized the honey gold structures of Jaisalmer city as they had flown over it.

As they walked through the settlement, Ajay informed her that this tiny community was spread over eighty bheegas or approximately forty acres of land and several rich patrons had formed a welfare association to sponsor the needs of this community of artisans and their families in an attempt to preserve the rich folk traditions and handicrafts of Rajasthan.  Numerous artisan families had been abandoning their ancestral craft because they could not compete with the large export houses that ended up ripping them off, or they had joined these mass production houses as day-laborers to bring home their daily bread.  Rathod group of companies had initiated a fund called "Spurti" and roped in various philantophists to support the cause.  The trust provided a large chunk of the money needed for the upkeep of these families and ensured their creativity flowed uninterrupted.    Anjali had been impressed by the artist, but now as she looked on at the loving greetings bestowed on Ajay by the villagers, she adored the man for what he was and what he gave back to the community.

"Yeh hain asli Rajasthan; the very heart of the land where you can see first hand the spirit of its people Anjali.  Dekho, yahan par in logon ke pass paise kam hain, par inka dil bada hain, seena chauda, sar uncha aur sapne rangeen.  Bade hi Khuddar hain yeh log.  What we do with our trust keeps their kids in school, the folk crafts alive and lucrative so Rajasthan's rich tradition and legacy lives on." "Aap paheli bhaar aayi hain, tho kuch tho kareedna padega didi" said a handsome young lad of fourteen in a persuasive voice.  "Chup re chotte.  Maalkin, aapko jo bhi pasand aaye beshaq leejiye, hamare ore se choti si bhent hogi" replied Jaipal modestly.

Anjali was delighted with the spirited lad, she walked towards him and asked with a smile, "Aapka naam chotte hain? " "Ji" replied the boy "hum ek business man hain, aur yeh hai humara dukhan."  She took an instant liking to this confident lad and decided to get something from him.  He was selling fine pieces of beaten silver, copper and bronze jewelry set with semi precious stones or beads.  She was amazed at the beautiful handwork and the high quality of the pieces.  Finally she picked a waist belt of delicate antique silver threads woven into a loose braid randomly studded with tiny un-polished rubies and garnets.  "Not bad Sugar Queen, you do have an eye for the original" he said paying the boy, adding a generous tip.  He waved off her protests with, "It's just a little souvenir in memory of this evening" and guided her by her elbow towards a pair of colorfully decked camels.  Anjali gasped and clutched at his arm nervously as she realized what was in store next.

They rode into the distant sand dunes as the sun was on its final leg of descent in the western skies.  Though nervous at the beginning, Anjali enjoyed every bit of her ride as they approached a private section of the dunes, and from her high perch she saw miles and miles of golden sand spread out like a rich pile of carpet, with its canopy of blue gold sky darkening to purple at the edges.  The entire village and the dunes were free of tourists unlike the other jaunts.  Ajay was right; she was experiencing the real culture and hospitality of the Rajasthanis here, free of commercial influences, and loud filmy music.

She snapped out of her contemplation when she sensed her camel lowering on its knees.  Anjali grasped the saddle tight and screwed her eyes shut in trepidation.  "Come on now Sugar Queen.  Don't tell me you are scared of this!" Came the half-amused exclamation from Ajay.  Anjali's eyes flashed briefly in indignation only to be replaced with pure pleasure at the sight in front of her.  In the middle of the dunes was a beautiful setting straight out of an Arabian Nights tale.  A deep red carpet was topped with a low wide table of white-metal intricately carved and inlaid in multicolored motifs, set for two with tiny antique hurricane lanterns, polished brass plates and goblets, and clay pots filled with mouth watering food.  So lost was she in admiring the scene that she had not realized she had not dismounted until she felt Ajay's long fingers encircling her waist, plucking her off her perch as if she were a rag doll.  She wrapped her arms around his shoulders in an automatic response and lost herself in his gaze as he slowly set her down, and gently turned her around to catch the final moments of the sunset as the sun slipped down the horizon coloring the skyline defiantly in a brilliant orange, one last time for the day.  Anjali sighed and leaned her head backwards on his shoulder, hugging herself, and just enjoyed the beauty and peace in the moment. "Remorse would come later, for now, it was a magic carpet ride and she was with her Alladin tonight." Ajay stepped closer to her, his body supporting her weight and leaning his chin against her temple drank in the beauty of the setting sun and the rising moon.

The great desert outdoors had fired their appetite.  Both Anjali and Ajay ate the traditional fare they were served by Jaipal and his wife with gusto.  They were sitting next to each other on a soft white diwan piled with colorful bolsters and bright cushions embellished with mirrors that reflected the candle light.  As the night air began to cool rapidly, the men attending to them had set two clay firepits on either side of their seating and had kindled a steady fire that kept them toasty warm.  Ajay who was now sporting a turban befitting his lineage at the insistence of Jaipal, was leaning on his elbow against the bolster watching her polish off the last bite of her meal.  "Seriously, this is the best meal I have eaten ever, or the most I have eaten ever for that matter" claimed Anjali delicately rinsing her fingers in the finger bowl that was offered.  "I am glad you enjoyed it Anjali.  Come sit by me "he said patting the space closer to him and continued,"I'll show you the constellations while things are readied for the next act."  "Ooh! There's more?" questioned Anjali scooting closer twisting her head around to look at his face like a little girl who has been promised a big treat for good behavior.  Ajay chuckled as he pondered the irony of the situation he faced, her innocent expression of glee contrasted violently with the effortless sensuality she exuded.  His body answered to the latter and his heart to the former.

She had never realized how beautifully expansive the night sky looked nor had she seen stars this bright in Delhi where the horizon was marred by tall buildings, the night sky was visible only in patches while the city smog and harsh lights overpowered the ethereal beauty of the twinkling stars.  Out here, in the midst of the Great Thar Desert, the star-studded night was magical.  The black velvety sky above and the golden sands below seemed to extend endlessly.  Anjali leaned against Ajay's knee following his voice and his finger as he pointed out the lesser known constellations.  She had always had a fascination for all things astral.  Ever since Khushiji had become part of the family it had become a Friday night ritual for the two of them to gaze at the heavenly bodies through their telescope at home.  One glimpse of this starry night sky and Khushi ji would be in seventh heaven thought Anjali.

She straightened,drew up her knees and rested her chin on them at the first strains of music.  Some of the artisans were musically oriented and had gathered in two groups.  The table had been cleared of the remnants of their meal and was replenished with thandai in a brass pitcher and two goblets.  Women in beautiful mirrored ghagras and flashing metallic jewelry stepped forward and began their twirling, swirling dance as the men sang songs of Rajput valor and love in their haunting voices.  Anjali's throat choked up several times before the song-dance ballad came to an end.  The young business man, Chotte had a golden voice and had captivated her with his rendition.  She wiped the corners of her eyes and clapped enthusiastically.  The musical spell that had entranced her for the past hour or more broke leaving her acutely conscious of Ajay's hard body against her back and the muscular leg against which she had leaned during the performance.  She had been completely unaware that she had shifted so close to him that she now found her entire body had been cozily ensconced against Ajay's the whole time. 

She stood up needing to put some space between them and silently passed out the tip that Ajay handed her to the entertainers.  With a parting farewell to chotte and Jaipal she mounted her camel to return back to their chopper.  Anjali remained markedly silent on their trip back, she drew comfort from Ajay's arm around her shoulder and nestled closer to his side, but her insides where squirming dangerously and she felt a huge lump lodged in her throat.  You have just had the most amazing night with a handsome, caring man, and all you could come up with was a lump in your throat.  You are pathetic Anjali.  Something is seriously wrong with you. Screamed one of her inner voices, while the other just muted itself in utter misery.  She had been ecstatic tonight and yet her heart trembled with an unknown dread. Sighing she closed her eyes pretending to sleep.

The air had changed as they drove back to the haveli.  It was close to midnight and the night felt cooler and damper indicating rain that night.  "Over there, look" said Ajay slowing down to a stop by the lake on the grounds of Malhar and pointed to a pair of peacocks by the marble gazebo in the lake.  They were moving slowly in a circle as if in a trance shivering ever so lightly sending the splendorous blues and greens of their fully fanned out feathers into a psychedelic pattern of shimmering colors.  Anjali stepped out with an exclamation of delight at this fabulous sight.  She had read about the beauty of a peacock's dance in poetry and ancient mythology, but never before had she had the pleasure of witnessing one.  Oh God! Tonight has been such a magical one.  If only she could give in to her heart's desire and wrap her arms around Ajay, feel his chiseled body against hers, and melt in his arms.  Why was it so difficult?  Wasn't she a free woman?

Ajay had alighted from the car and stood leaning against it silently watching her as she lost herself in her admiration of the dancing peacocks.  He noticed the subtle shifts in her body language and felt her acute longing, even without the need to see her face.  Moving to stand behind her, slowly, very slowly, he reached out to move her braid over one shoulder, pressed his parted lips against the curve of her neck while pulling her flush against his body with his arm, and whispered, "Sugar Queen, peacocks dance as a prelude to mating.  Bet you thought they do it when they sense the rains."  His warm breath and words sent a delicious shiver through her frame and she swallowed hard the moan that threatened to break out of her lips.  Ajay let his lips linger on the object of his admiration a few seconds longer, and then slowly trailed kisses along her shoulder blade, over her collar bone and up the side of her throat to nip at her ear.  Anjali threw her head back, sinking against him and a single word, a tremulous "Ajay" tore straight from her heart and escaped her lips ending on a gut tugging moan, before she could bite it back.  Ajay turned her around swiftly and pulling her against his chest captured her lips in a blazing kiss.  There was no tentative exploration, or preamble to his kiss.  It was an expression of white hot desire; one which found an instant response from Anjali as she encircled her arms around his neck pressed her tightening bodice against his chest and kissed him right back.  Years of his self-control broke, opening the floodgates at her response.  He groaned and pressed into her supple body as he continued his kisses down her throat and lingered at the top of her heaving bosom.

Anjali's mind whirled in a kaleidoscope of colors. It was like the fast twirling lights of the fair when she was seated on a spinning carousel and the whole world seemed to be spinning by in a sea of lights while she seemed to soar.  This man, this amazing handsome man wanted her, he thought she was beautiful.  Her vanity soared and her heart longed for one blissful moment, to succumb, before she felt hot tears pricking her eyelids and streaming down her cheeks.  A man like Ajay deserved more, much more than she could offer.  He deserved some one perfect not broken physically and emotionally like she was.  This had to stop, this madness, all of it.  She must stop him, even if it meant hurting him, both of them.  She clutched his shoulders digging into them; fighting the weakness in her knees brought on by the havoc he was causing with his lips against her midriff and tugged at his kurta urging him up.

Ajay stopped and raised his puzzled eyes to her tear stained face.  "Anjali, baby did I hurt you.  I thought you wanted this, wanted me as much as I," He stopped and stepped back folding his hands across his chest, giving her a moment to wipe her eyes and face him.  "What is it Anjali?" 

"Ajayji, You are the most amazing date a woman could ask for.  You swept me off my feet, trust me, it's not you---."  "Oh for heaven's sake Anjali!  Spare me the cliches and get to the damned point." He rasped out.  Anjali merely pursed her lips and shook her head lifting and dropping her shoulders helplessly.  "Take me to the Haveli Ajay.  Please" her eyes pleaded.  Ajay swore under his breath and then took a deep calming breath. He strode over to the car and held the door open for her to step in, his eyes firmly fixed on the ground.

Returning to his room, Ajay paced in frustration.  He had not misread her.  She was having a great time and was as much drawn to him as he was to her.  He replayed the last scene in his head over and over again hoping to pinpoint what they had said just before she pulled her ice princess mask on.  But all it did was aggravate his desire instead of solving the puzzle.  At long last he switched off the lights and flung open the French windows to step out into his balcony, and what he saw froze him to his spot.

In the balcony across, her arms crossed over her chest and her face raised to the heavens, stood Anjali drenched to the skin under the pouring rains.  One of the purple orchids he had brought her this evening was tucked in her hair over her left ear.   And what was that?  Was that his gift, the silver waist belt that was gleaming at her waist against the purple of her outfit?  "There she goes again giving off her mixed signals.  She fights me tooth and nail and looks for solace in the pouring rains wearing my gifts next to her skin."  Ajay's insides were ripping to shreds at Anjali's condition.  And then, realization dawned bright and clear.  He was not just attracted to her; he was in love with her!  He was hopelessly in love with this maddening, infuriating, contrary woman.  And close on the heels of this revelation came a sinking sense of doubt,"What if she was already in love with some one?  Did she still harbor deep feelings for her ex-husband or some one else from the past?  He did not exactly know a lot about what had happened in her personal life now.  Did he?  He needed answers to the questions hounding him, and he needed them soon."

He closed the french doors softly, drew the drapes shut, and raking his fingers through his hair decided, "I'll be damned if I let her get away and hide behind a feigned mask as she seems to be habituated to doing.  Her responses and signals were not a figment of my imagination and the proof of that is the flower in her hair and the silver belt encircling her waist; MY GIFTS.  Anjali, brace yourself!"

PS:  The song whose lyrics I used at the beginning is a personal favorite of mine from the golden B&W movies of Bollywood.  Picturized on the talented and creative original director/actor - Guru Dutt and the ravishing Madhubala.  For those of you who would like to watch this please click the link below

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=9JbQs3L7A8c

ForLoveofBarun thumbnail

Hello Dearies,

Thanks for all your lovely comments, feedbacks, speculations on the last chapter.   This one is a long one, but I am sure you will be glad that I left it that wayπŸ˜‰.

Without further ado here is the much awaited date night.  Read enjoy and comment.

Disclaimer:  The photographs used here are not mine. They have been procured for illustrative purposes from internet sources for public consumption

Pyaar in the Pink City(English)

Part 15

Blazing Hearts & Soothing Rains

Udhar Tum Hasin Ho, Idhar Dil Jawaan Hai
Ye Rangin Raaton Ki, Ek Daastaan Hai
Ye Kaisa Hai Naghma Ye Kya Daastaan Hai
Bataa E Mohabbat Mera Dil Kahaan Hai

Mere Ghar mein Aayi Hui Hai Bahaar
Quayamat hai phir bhi, karoon intezaar
Mohabbat, kuch aisi, saza de rahi hai
Ki khud raat angdayiyan le rahi hai

Jidar dekhthi hoon, Nazaara Jawaan hai!

~Lyrics of the Song 'Udhar tum hasin ho' from the movie Mr. & Mrs. 55

"Namaste Hukum" said the brightly turbaned man dressed in white, his hands folded and head slightly bowed.  "Namste Jaipal.  How is everyone?" asked Ajay.  He continued to hold Anjali's hand loosely after having helped her down from the chopper at the end of their hour long flight.  "Everyone is doing great Hukum and are eagerly awaiting you.  Everything is ready per your specifications."  Ajay nodded and looking at Anjali said" Anjali meet Jaipal.  He is the acting chief of this small settlement we have here.  Jaipal, this is Anjali ji."  Namste madam. Welcome" he said guiding them towards the settlement of mud houses and cottages that seemed to be spread in some sort of a village encampment.  She realized they were on the edge of the desert, well past Jaisalmer, for she had recognized the honey gold structures of Jaisalmer city as they had flown over it.

As they walked through the settlement, Ajay informed her that this tiny community was spread over eighty bheegas or approximately forty acres of land and several rich patrons had formed a welfare association to sponsor the needs of this community of artisans and their families in an attempt to preserve the rich folk traditions and handicrafts of Rajasthan.  Numerous artisan families had been abandoning their ancestral craft because they could not compete with the large export houses that ended up ripping them off, or they had joined these mass production houses as day-laborers to bring home their daily bread.  Rathod group of companies had initiated a fund called "Spurti" and roped in various philantophists to support the cause.  The trust provided a large chunk of the money needed for the upkeep of these families and ensured their creativity flowed uninterrupted.    Anjali had been impressed by the artist, but now as she looked on at the loving greetings bestowed on Ajay by the villagers, she adored the man for what he was and what he gave back to the community.

"This right here is the true Rajasthan; the very heart of the land where you can see first hand the spirit of its people Anjali.  Take a good look; Here people's purses are empty, but their hearts are full of love and courage, their heads are held high, and their dreams are filled with bright colors.  This a land of proud people.  What we do with our trust keeps their kids in school, the folk crafts alive and lucrative so Rajasthan's rich tradition and legacy lives on." "This is your first visit here, you must buy something  didi" said a handsome young lad of fourteen in a persuasive voice.  "Quiet chotte.  Madam, please feel free to pick anything that catches your fancy.  It will be a humble gift from us to you" replied Jaipal modestly.

Anjali was delighted with the spirited lad, she walked towards him and asked with a smile, "So your name is chotte is it? " "Yes ma'am" replied the boy "I am a business man and this right here is my shop."  She took an instant liking to this confident lad and decided to get something from him.  He was selling fine pieces of beaten silver, copper and bronze jewelry set with semi precious stones or beads.  She was amazed at the beautiful handwork and the high quality of the pieces.  Finally she picked a waist belt of delicate antique silver threads woven into a loose braid randomly studded with tiny un-polished rubies and garnets.  "Not bad Sugar Queen, you do have an eye for the original" he said paying the boy, adding a generous tip.  He waved off her protests with, "It's just a little souvenir in memory of this evening" and guided her by her elbow towards a pair of colorfully decked camels.  Anjali gasped and clutched at his arm nervously as she realized what was in store next.

They rode into the distant sand dunes as the sun was on its final leg of descent in the western skies.  Though nervous at the beginning, Anjali enjoyed every bit of her ride as they approached a private section of the dunes, and from her high perch she saw miles and miles of golden sand spread out like a rich pile of carpet, with its canopy of blue gold sky darkening to purple at the edges.  The entire village and the dunes were free of tourists unlike the other jaunts.  Ajay was right; she was experiencing the real culture and hospitality of the Rajasthani's here, free of commercial influences, and loud filmy music.

She snapped out of her contemplation when she sensed her camel lowering on its knees.  Anjali grasped the saddle tight and screwed her eyes shut in trepidation.  "Come on now Sugar Queen.  Don't tell me you are scared of this!" Came the half-amused exclamation from Ajay.  Anjali's eyes flashed briefly in indignation only to be replaced with pure pleasure at the sight in front of her.  In the middle of the dunes was a beautiful setting straight out of an Arabian Nights tale.  A deep red carpet was topped with a low wide table of white metal intricately carved and inlaid in multicolored motifs, set for two with tiny antique hurricane lanterns, polished brass plates and goblets, and clay pots filled with mouth-watering food.  So lost was she in admiring the scene that she had not realized she had not dismounted until she felt Ajay's long fingers encircling her waist, plucking her off her perch as if she were a rag doll.  She wrapped her arms around his shoulders in an automatic response and lost herself in his gaze as he slowly set her down, and gently turned her around to catch the final moments of the sunset as the sun slipped down the horizon coloring the skyline defiantly in a brilliant orange, one last time for the day.  Anjali sighed and leaned her head backwards on his shoulder, hugging herself, and just enjoyed the beauty and peace in the moment. "Remorse would come later, for now, it was a magic carpet ride and she was with her Alladin tonight." Ajay stepped closer to her, his body supporting her weight and leaning his chin against her temple drank in the beauty of the setting sun and the rising moon.

The great desert outdoors had fired their appetite.  Both Anjali and Ajay ate the traditional fare they were served by Jaipal and his wife with gusto.  They were sitting next to each other on a soft white diwan piled with colorful bolsters and bright cushions embellished with mirrors that reflected the candle light.  As the night air began to cool rapidly, the men attending to them had set two clay firepits on either side of their seating and had kindled a steady fire that kept them toasty warm.  Ajay who was now sporting a turban befitting his lineage at the insistence of Jaipal, was leaning on his elbow against the bolster watching her polish off the last bite of her meal.  "Seriously, this is the best meal I have eaten ever, or the most I have eaten ever for that matter" claimed Anjali delicately rinsing her fingers in the finger bowl that was offered.  "I am glad you enjoyed it Anjali.  Come sit by me "he said patting the space closer to him and continued,"I'll show you the constellations while things are readied for the next act."  "Ooh! There's more?" questioned Anjali scooting closer twisting her head around to look at his face like a little girl who has been promised a big treat for good behavior.  Ajay chuckled as he pondered the irony of the situation he faced, her innocent expression of glee contrasted violently with the effortless sensuality she exuded.  His body answered to the latter and his heart to the former.

She had never realized how beautifully expansive the night sky looked nor had she seen stars this bright in Delhi where the horizon was marred by tall buildings, the night sky was visible only in patches while the city smog and harsh lights overpowered the ethereal beauty of the twinkling stars.  Out here, in the midst of the Great Thar Desert, the star-studded night was magical.  The black velvety sky above and the golden sands below seemed to extend endlessly.  Anjali leaned against Ajay's knee following his voice and his finger as he pointed out the lesser known constellations.  She had always had a fascination for all things astral.  Ever since Khushiji had become part of the family it had become a Friday night ritual for the two of them to gaze at the heavenly bodies through their telescope at home.  One glimpse of this starry night sky and Khushi ji would be in seventh heaven thought Anjali.

She straightened,drew up her knees and rested her chin on them at the first strains of music.  Some of the artisans were musically oriented and had gathered in two groups.  The table had been cleared of the remnants of their meal and was replenished with thandai in a brass pitcher and two goblets.  Women in beautiful mirrored ghagras and flashing metallic jewellery stepped forward and began their twirling, swirling dance as the men sang songs of Rajput valor and love in their haunting voices.  Anjali's throat choked up several times before the song-dance ballad came to an end.  The young business man, Chotte had a golden voice and had captivated her with his rendition.  She wiped the corners of her eyes and clapped enthusiastically.  The musical spell that had entranced her for the past hour or more broke leaving her acutely conscious of Ajay's hard body against her back and the muscular leg against which she had leaned during the performance.  She had been completely unaware that she had shifted so close to him that she now found her entire body had been cozily ensconced against Ajay's the whole time. 

She stood up needing to put some space between them and silently passed out the tip that Ajay handed her to the entertainers.  With a parting farewell to chotte and Jaipal she mounted her camel to return back to their chopper.  Anjali remained markedly silent on their trip back, she drew comfort from Ajay's arm around her shoulder and nestled closer to his side, but her insides where squirming dangerously and she felt a huge lump lodged in her throat.  You have just had the most amazing night with a handsome, caring man, and all you could come up with was a lump in your throat.  You are pathetic Anjali.  Something is seriously wrong with you. Screamed one of her inner voices, while the other just muted itself in utter misery.  She had been ecstatic tonight and yet her heart trembled with an unknown dread. Sighing she closed her eyes pretending to sleep.

The air had changed as they drove back to the haveli.  It was close to midnight and the night felt cooler and damper indicating rain that night.  "Over there, look" said Ajay slowing down to a stop by the lake on the grounds of Malhar and pointed to a pair of peacocks by the marble gazebo in the lake.  They were moving slowly in a circle as if in a trance shivering ever so lightly sending the splendorous blues and greens of their fully fanned out feathers into a psychedelic pattern of shimmering colors.  Anjali stepped out with an exclamation of delight at this fabulous sight.  She had read about the beauty of a peacock's dance in poetry and ancient mythology, but never before had she had the pleasure of witnessing one.  Oh God! Tonight has been such a magical one.  If only she could give in to her heart's desire and wrap her arms around Ajay, feel his chiseled body against hers, and melt in his arms.  Why was it so difficult?  Wasn't she a free woman?

Ajay had alighted from the car and stood leaning against it silently watching her as she lost herself in her admiration of the dancing peacocks.  He noticed the subtle shifts in her body language and felt her acute longing, even without the need to see her face.  Moving to stand behind her, slowly, very slowly, he reached out to move her braid over one shoulder, pressed his parted lips against the curve of her neck while pulling her flush against his body with his arm, and whispered, "Sugar Queen, peacocks dance as a prelude to mating.  Bet you thought they do it when they sense the rains."  His warm breath and words sent a delicious shiver through her frame and she swallowed hard the moan that threatened to break out of her lips.  Ajay let his lips linger on the object of his admiration a few seconds longer, and then slowly trailed kisses along her shoulder blade, over her collar bone and up the side of her throat to nip at her ear.  Anjali threw her head back, sinking against him and a single word, a tremulous "Ajay" tore straight from her heart and escaped her lips ending on a gut tugging moan, before she could bite it back.  Ajay turned her around swiftly and pulling her against his chest captured her lips in a blazing kiss.  There was no tentative exploration, or preamble to his kiss.  It was an expression of white hot desire; one which found an instant response from Anjali as she encircled her arms around his neck pressed her tightening bodice against his chest and kissed him right back.  Years of his self-control broke, opening the floodgates at her response.  He groaned and pressed into her supple body as he continued his kisses down her throat and lingered at the top of her heaving bosom.

Anjali's mind whirled in a kaleidoscope of colors. It was like the fast twirling lights of the fair when she was seated on a spinning carousel and the whole world seemed to be spinning by in a sea of lights while she seemed to soar.  This man, this amazing handsome man wanted her, he thought she was beautiful.  Her vanity soared and her heart longed for one blissful moment, to succumb, before she felt hot tears pricking her eyelids and streaming down her cheeks.  A man like Ajay deserved more, much more than she could offer.  He deserved someone perfect not broken physically and emotionally like she was.  This had to stop, this madness, all of it.  She must stop him, even if it meant hurting him, both of them.  She clutched his shoulders digging into them; fighting the weakness in her knees brought on by the havoc he was causing with his lips against her midriff and tugged at his kurta urging him up.

Ajay stopped and raised his puzzled eyes to her tear stained face.  "Anjali, baby did I hurt you.  I thought you wanted this, wanted me as much as I," He stopped and stepped back folding his hands across his chest, giving her a moment to wipe her eyes and face him.  "What is it Anjali?" 

"Ajayji, You are the most amazing date a woman could ask for.  You swept me off my feet, trust me, it's not you---."  "Oh for heaven's sake Anjali!  Spare me the cliches and get to the damned point." He rasped out.  Anjali merely pursed her lips and shook her head lifting and dropping her shoulders helplessly.  "Take me to the Haveli Ajay.  Please" her eyes pleaded.  Ajay swore under his breath and then took a deep calming breath. He strode over to the car and held the door open for her to step in, his eyes firmly fixed on the ground.

Returning to his room, Ajay paced in frustration.  He had not misread her.  She was having a great time and was as much drawn to him as he was to her.  He replayed the last scene in his head over and over again hoping to pinpoint what they had said just before she pulled her ice princess mask on.  But all it did was aggravate his desire instead of solving the puzzle.  At long last he switched off the lights and flung open the French windows to step out into his balcony, and what he saw froze him to his spot.

In the balcony across, her arms crossed over her chest and her face raised to the heavens, stood Anjali drenched to the skin under the pouring rains.  One of the purple orchids he had brought her this evening was tucked in her hair over her left ear.   And what was that?  Was that his gift, the silver waist belt that was gleaming at her waist against the purple of her outfit?  "There she goes again giving off her mixed signals.  She fights me tooth and nail and looks for solace in the pouring rains wearing my gifts next to her skin."  Ajay's insides were ripping to shreds at Anjali's condition.  And then, realization dawned bright and clear.  He was not just attracted to her; he was in love with her!  He was hopelessly in love with this maddening, infuriating, contrary woman.  And close on the heels of this revelation came a sinking sense of doubt,"What if she was already in love with some one?  Did she still harbor deep feelings for her ex-husband or some one else from the past?  He did not exactly know a lot about what had happened in her personal life now.  Did he?  He needed answers to the questions hounding him, and he needed them soon."

He closed the French doors softly, drew the drapes shut, and raking his fingers through his hair decided, "I'll be damned if I let her get away and hide behind a feigned mask as she seems to be habituated to doing.  Her responses and signals were not a figment of my imagination and the proof of that is the flower in her hair and the silver belt encircling her waist; MY GIFTS. Anjali, brace yourself!"

PS:  The song whose lyrics I used at the beginning is a personal favorite of mine from the golden B&W movies of Bollywood.  Picturized on the talented and creative original director/actor - Guru Dutt and the ravishing Madhubala.  For those of you who would like to watch this please click the link below

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=9JbQs3L7A8c

PSharada thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Visit Streak 365 0 Thumbnail + 9
Lovely update. Did you visit Rajasthan ever? The way you have described Jaipur and Jaisalmer and the sand dunes/camel rides were so dot on. I have visited Rajasthan and could connect to the way you have written the update here. Good writing. So Anjali and Ajay have fallen for each other and now Anjali is afraid of her past. Can't wait for Ajay to figure out Anjali's past and reassure her. Ajay needs Anjali by his side if he has to fight ASR. Can't wait for the acknowledgement of both Ajay and Anjali to the love they have fallen in for before the Teej starts and ASR comes down with the family in tow. Thanks for the pm.
ForLoveofBarun thumbnail

Originally posted by: psarada

Lovely update. Did you visit Rajasthan ever? The way you have described Jaipur and Jaisalmer and the sand dunes/camel rides were so dot on. I have visited Rajasthan and could connect to the way you have written the update here. Good writing. So Anjali and Ajay have fallen for each other and now Anjali is afraid of her past. Can't wait for Ajay to figure out Anjali's past and reassure her. Ajay needs Anjali by his side if he has to fight ASR. Can't wait for the acknowledgement of both Ajay and Anjali to the love they have fallen in for before the Teej starts and ASR comes down with the family in tow. Thanks for the pm.

Thanks for the comments my dear.  I hope to visit Rajasthan one day.  This is how I see it in my mind's eye.😊