Users

Frequent Posters

ForLoveofBarun thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail + 3
Posted: 11 years ago

Originally posted by: aruni50218

Really nice! πŸ‘

So happy for Maya  & NK... 
The show was well described. what will be the next part on?

Wait and see πŸ˜‰   Thank you for the lovely comments and PM on your VM.  I loved that!
ForLoveofBarun thumbnail

Note To Readers:  

Dear Readers, Here is the final update on Nk & Maya's Love Story.  I hope it's the cherry on the cake that I wanted it to be.  I had a load of fun writing this one.  Hope you enjoy it and leave your comments. 

I have included a glossary in the end for the terms highlighted in Blue(Hindi) and Red(Tamil), that might help the non Hindi/non Tamil readers understand their meanings better.

English Translation is posted right after this one!

Serendipity

Epilogue

Maya and NK's wedding, or should I say weddings, because there were more than one; three to be precise would be the talk of the family and friends connected with the collective brood of Raizadas, Guptas, Gohils & Iyers for many, many months.  

The debate that sparked between Buaji and Iyer uncle the night of the fashion show lasted nearly a month.  Buaji had donned the role of a self-appointed spokesperson for NK and the groom's side collectively representing his gentle mom Meerah and dad Brij.  

Debates and well positioned arguments in favor of North Indian versus Iyer style wedding between Buaji  and Mr. Iyer, ebbed and flowed like the incessant waves of an ocean beating on rocks. Merits and demerits of Mehendi versus Nalangu, Baraat versus Jhanvasam, Sangeet versus Oonjal were espoused and discussed ad nauseum.

Naani, Anjali, and even the indomitable Manorama were no match for these two forceful and opinionated, but well -meaning elders as they transcended language barriers.  NK had worn the floor out with his constant pacing, while Dhruv who had graced the family with his presence when he heard about the impending wedding sat next to Maya and together they nonchalantly watched the drama unfold; peacefully munching Khushi's Channa. 

"Maya, you should just run away with me.  Problem solved" quipped Dhruv earning a baleful look from NK and a snigger from Arnav.

Even the gentle Payal and the permanent peace maker, Khushi were at their wits end, while Akash and Arnav were found missing in action for most of the wedding planning discussions.  

The millionth discussion on what scriptures and Reeti Riwaz ordained (according to Buaji) and Aacharam(according to Iyer mama) as the right thing to do in terms of Marriage, ended in a big fat nothing.  

Infinite exclamations of 'Hai re Nand Kisore' punctuated the solid arguments in favor of a 'North Indian wedding'put forth by Buaji in broken English while 'Yende Guruvayurappa' was liberally sprinkled in Iyer Uncle's mutilated Hindi  arguments in favor of a traditional 'Iyer wedding'.

Finally, at the end of a month long wordy battle NK exploded, halting all conversation on a particularly humid July afternoon.  Akash who was hiding behind a newspaper did a double take at NK's ASR avatar, and Arnav watched in stunned silence, as NK thundered "Enough is enough!  Bas buaji; podum mama(enough uncle); mein aur Maya, har reeti riwaz ke anantar shaadi karenge.  Now let's get on with it shall we?"  

"Anantar naahin NK babua anusaar" corrected a weary Manorama.

And thus did it come to pass that NK A.K.A. Nandu married Maya thrice.  Once in the Raizada/Gohil tradition with all the rasme according to Khushiji's checklist being ticked off.  

The second time, in Kerala admist Nadaswaram notes and Mrudangam beats, clad in a white silk and gold bordered dhoti in Iyer style; with Maya resplendent in a maroon silk nine yards saree wrapped in traditional style and bedecked with dazzling gold ornaments.  

And for the third time, on NK's insistence just so he could finally erase the image of Buaji clad in a white bridal gown saying "Humahu do Nand Kisore" from his memory; NK married Maya in the western style in a tuxedo and kissed his blushing bride as soon as the words 'I do' escaped her lips.

Thus after bidding the love birds a fond farewell as they set off on their honey moon to Australia, did the family: collectively the Raizadas, Guptas, Gohils, and Iyer mama settle down for their afternoon tea and Kumbakonam degree coffee that Khushi had dutifully preparedfor Iyer mama.

"Waise Iyer ji humri maaniye aur aap eehan ghar badal kar bas jayiye. Nand Kisore! Oo ka hai na, hume apni Nand Kisore ki aadat si pad gayi hai.  Ka kahat hain aap?"  began Madhumati in a seemingly reasonable tone.  

"No, No, No! What are you saying Madhumati ji.  Aap aana, to my beautiful Kerala.  I cannot leave my south India for this polluted Delhi. Never!  Guruvayurappa! Yenna kaapatu pa (My lord Guruvayurappa, save me) aur Nandu can work from anywhere, while Maya has to work out of AR resorts in Kumarakom.  Tho samajdhari wali baat is that we stay in Kerala.  You too come there, if you miss Nandu."

--------- The family instantly straightened in their seats, their senses on heightened alert.  Exchanging covert glances and by mutual silent consent, they quietly slipped away from the scene, smiling and chuckling to themselves, leaving Madhumati and Mr. Subramanian Iyer to yet another battle of words and wits; as they invoked Nand Kisore and Guruvayurappa at regular intervals to come to their support and swore by them to underscore the merits of their respective arguments.

****************** The End  **********************

Glossary

Mehendi  : One of the wedding rites where mehendi/henna is applied on the bride & bridesmaids

Baraat       : Bridegroom's wedding procession according to North Indian custom

Sangeet    : A musical Song and Dance filled Pre-wedding ritual in North Indian Marriages

Nalangu    : A pre-wedding ritual of cleansing and beautifying including application of Haldi, in Tamil Brahmin weddings

Jhanvasam :The Groom's wedding procession with his accompanying entourage, music & dance in Tamil Brahmin weddings

Oonjal         :Pre Wedding ritual in Tamil Brahmin weddings where the Bride & Groom swing while women folks sing traditional songs that wards off the evil eye

Nadaswaram : South Indian classical musical instrument, counterpart to the North Indian Shehnai

Mrudangam  :South Indian Percussion instrument used in Carnatic music, counterpart to North Indian Dholak

Guruvayurappa     : Lord Krishna (Southern name for Nand Kisore) and the presiding deity at Guruvayur temple, Kerala.

Edited by ForLoveofBarun - 10 years ago
ForLoveofBarun thumbnail

Note To Readers:  

Dear Readers, Here is the final update on Nk & Maya's Love Story.  I hope it's the cherry on the cake that I wanted it to be.  I had a load of fun writing this one.  Hope you enjoy it and leave your comments. 

I have included a glossary in the end for the terms highlighted in Blue(Hindi) and Red(Tamil), that might help the non Hindi/non Tamil readers understand their meanings better.

Serendipity (English Version)

Epilogue

Maya and NK's wedding, or should I say weddings, because there were more than one; three to be precise would be the talk of the family and friends connected with the collective brood of Raizadas, Guptas, Gohils & Iyers for many, many months.  The debate that sparked between Buaji and Iyer uncle the night of the fashion show lasted nearly a month.  Buaji had donned the role of a self-appointed spokesperson for NK and the groom's side collectively representing his gentle mom Meerah and dad Brij.  

Debates and well positioned arguments in favor of North Indian versus Iyer style wedding between Buaji  and Mr. Iyer, ebbed and flowed like the incessant waves of an ocean beating on rocks. Merits and demerits of Mehendi versus Nalangu, Baraat versus Jhanvasam, Sangeet versus Oonjal were espoused and discussed ad nauseum.

Naani, Anjali, and even the indomitable Manorama were no match for these two forceful and opinionated, but well -meaning elders as they transcended language barriers.  NK had worn the floor out with his constant pacing, while Dhruv who had graced the family with his presence when he heard about the impending wedding sat next to Maya and together they nonchalantly watched the drama unfold; peacefully munching Khushi's channa(roasted chick peas). 

"Maya, you should just run away with me.  Problem solved" quipped Dhruv earning a baleful look from NK and a snigger from Arnav.

Even the gentle Payal and the permanent peace maker, Khushi were at their wits end, while Akash and Arnav were found missing in action for most of the wedding planning discussions.  

The millionth discussion on what scriptures and Reeti Riwaz ordained (according to Buaji) and Aacharam(according to Iyer mama) as the right thing to do in terms of Marriage, ended in a big fat nothing.  

Infinite exclamations of 'Hai re Nand Kisore' punctuated the solid arguments in favor of a 'North Indian wedding'put forth by Buaji in broken English while 'Yende Guruvayurappa' was liberally sprinkled in Iyer Uncle's mutilated Hindi  arguments in favor of a traditional 'Iyer wedding'.

Finally, at the end of a month, amidst yet another long wordy battle, NK exploded, halting all conversation on a particularly humid July afternoon.  Akash who was hiding behind a newspaper did a double take at NK's ASR avatar, and Arnav watched in stunned silence, as NK thundered "Enough is enough!  Bas buaji(enough aunty in Hind); podum mama(enough uncle in Tamil); Maya and I will be wed by every traditional ritual ordained by both cultures.  Now let's get on with it shall we?" 

"Hello, Hai, bye, bye.  By not NK babua, ofcourse" piped out a weary Manrama maami, agreeing with her nephew in alacrity.

And thus did it come to pass that NK A.K.A. Nandu married Maya thrice.  Once in the Raizada/Gohil tradition with all the rasme according to Khushiji's checklist being ticked off.  

The second time, in Kerala admist Nadaswaram notes and Mrudangam beats, clad in a white silk and gold bordered dhoti in Iyer style, with Maya resplendent in a maroon silk nine yards saree wrapped in traditional style and bedecked with dazzling gold ornaments.  

And for the third time, on NK's insistence just so he could finally erase the image of Buaji clad in a white bridal gown saying "Humahu do Nand Kisore" from his memory; NK married Maya in the western style in a tuxedo and kissed his blushing bride as soon as the words 'I do' escaped her lips.

Thus after bidding the love birds a fond farewell as they set off on their honey moon to Australia, did the family: collectively the Raizadas, Guptas, Gohils, and Iyer mama settle down for their afternoon tea and Kumbakonam degree coffee that Khushi had dutifully prepared for Iyer mama.

"I was thinking Iyerji that you should reflect on what I told you before and move over to Delhi. Nand Kisore! You see I am sort of very fond of my Nand Kisore.  I have grown habituated to having him around.  What do you say?"  began Madhumati in a seemingly reasonable tone.  

"No, No, No! What are you saying Madhumati ji.  You come over to my beautiful Kerala.  I cannot leave my south India for this polluted Delhi. Never!  Guruvayurappa! Yenna kaapatu pa (My lord Guruvayurappa, save me) aur Nandu can work from anywhere, while Maya has to work out of AR resorts in Kumarakom.  Therefore the wisest course of action is that we stay in Kerala.  You too come there, if you miss Nandu."

--------- The family instantly straightened in their seats, their senses on heightened alert.  Exchanging covert glances and by mutual silent consent, they quietly slipped away from the scene, smiling and chuckling to themselves, leaving Madhumati and Mr. Subramanian Iyer to yet another battle of words and wits; as they invoked Nand Kisore and Guruvayurappa at regular intervals to come to their support and swore by them to underscore the merits of their respective arguments.

************** The End  *****************

Glossary

Mehendi   : One of the wedding rites where mehendi/henna is applied on the bride & bridesmaids

Baraat       : Bridegroom's wedding procession according to North Indian custom

Sangeet    : A musical Song and Dance filled Pre-wedding ritual in North Indian Marriages

Nalangu    : A pre-wedding ritual of cleansing and beautifying including application of Haldi, in Tamil Brahmin weddings

Jhanvasam :The Groom's wedding procession with his accompanying entourage, music & dance in Tamil Brahmin weddings

Oonjal        : Pre Wedding ritual in Tamil Brahmin weddings where the Bride & Groom swing while women folks sing traditional songs that wards off the evil eye

Nadaswaram : South Indian classical musical instrument, counterpart to the North Indian Shehnai

Mrudangam   :South Indian Percussion instrument used in Carnatic music, counterpart to North Indian Dholak

Guruvayurappa : Lord Krishna (Southern name for Nand Kisore) and the presiding deity at Guruvayur temple, Kerala.

Edited by ForLoveofBarun - 10 years ago
Drkk thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail
1st here. Wondrful ending. Lovd it. Nk got married thrice. Dats vry cute. Btw r u frm kerala? Or anythn related 2 south india?Edited by Drkk - 11 years ago
inajnar thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
Brilliant !! What a fitting end indeed...
Poor NK. No wonder he got mad with all the bickering...
Loved the weddings. All 3 of them :-)
ForLoveofBarun thumbnail

Originally posted by: Drkk

1st here. Wondrful ending. Lovd it. Nk got married thrice. Dats vry cute. Btw r u frm kerala? Or anythn related 2 south india?

Thank you πŸ˜Š  I like to think of myself as a global citizen.  I am a Tamilian born and brought up in Hyderabad, spent my toddler years in Trivandrum(just 2 years - infant to toddler) and currently in California raising my ABCD boys πŸ˜‰
ForLoveofBarun thumbnail

Originally posted by: inajnar

Brilliant !! What a fitting end indeed...
Poor NK. No wonder he got mad with all the bickering...
Loved the weddings. All 3 of them :-)

Thank you my dear.  And just for you I made NK say - 'Podum Mama' πŸ˜‰
sudhalata1 thumbnail
lovely ending to a lovely story
Sisbamboo1 thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
An apt ending to Serendipity! NK's ASR avatar was perfect. After taking control of his life, he could not sit back helplessly while someone made decisions for him and especially for his marriage.

I couldn't stop laughing when NK decided to do a western wedding as well! Lol he's been haunted by buaji's 'I do,' for so longπŸ˜†

Great epilogue and great SS!
Cute6 thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
beautiful ending to one of the most magical love stories...πŸ˜ŠπŸ˜ƒβ€οΈ
how much i loved the whole story uska double i loved d epilouge...
loved d way u mentioned about d silly fights b/w buaji and Mr iyer dey wer so cute...
and a wedding in three styles...wow😎
dat was beauty...
waiting for ur next installments of stories specialy for anjalis love story...
and a special mention of the banner
it is beautyπŸ‘
and a special thanx for making us aware of new tamil words and tamil rituals...😊❀️