META Discussion -New topics- Page 15

0-SD-0 thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 2
Posted: 11 years ago
The post has been opened for the 0-SD-0 Episode Discussion thread readers and posters for META Discussion.
Otherwise its open for everyone, but immediate context and urgency was for SD thread writers and readers, who needed to express themselves.

The note is being put up as in the past we were advised by the Forum Mods to add such note to avoid unpleasant incidents.

*******************************************************************************************************
META DISCUSSION

It is an initiative for those forum members who like to take part in more complex discussion than is normally engaged in forum land during the week. For the uninitiated, a meta- discussion refers to themes and ideas expressed in a piece of fiction or an art work which relate to the wider social, political, economic, cultural, and psychological issues as are manifested in the work.

Commentators discuss not only the content of the show, but the conditions of its creation. The fourth wall is taken down and the universe of the work loses its integrity and becomes open to analysis. For example, and this is a distinction which I have seen very few people on the forum make, which is perhaps why there is  a degree of quite illogical outrage at any criticism, that there is a separation between the intent and ideas expressed within the internal logic of the show by characters,  and those  expressed by the creators who drive the show,  ie authorial intent.

Looking forward to meaningful discussions. 

*******************************************************************************************************

Previous Topics: in September and October 2012
META Pyromaniac Padmini v Roaring Radha!!
Today's topic is MOTHERS. How do the two mothers Padmini and Radha, and their own biographies and life choices, affect those of their children Madhubala and Rishab?
META chai party: RK as James Dean
Today's topic is: IS RK the James Dean of the Indian film world? Heart-throb for millions and yet inexperienced in love? Romantic hero, yet bereft of both emotional and physical intimacy?
META chai party: Religion in soapland
Today's topic is: Is the dominant religion in India and its customs and traditions shown in a dangerously normative fashion in soapland? Should India's secular credentials feel threatened by this kind of portrayal? How much of religion and religious belief can reasonably be shown as part of an unproblematised moral crusade? Could this be seen as part of a latent saffronisation of the Mumbai film and TV industry?
META chai party: women in soapland
Today's topic is: Are female roles in Indian soaps regressive? Are they promoting dangerous gender stereotyping that adversely affects how generations of female viewers form ideas of their roles and reponsibilities? Could the medium of television be used more effectively in promoting ideas of equality?

17th March  - Topics Added are

Page 4 - Re Madhu's inexplicable actions

Page 5 -  Execution of RISHBALA Equation - Rounded Continuity Versus the Flat Finality

24th March  - Topics Added are

Page 6 - ' The Darcy Appeal' and its influence on MEIEJ drama/Soaps/loose adaptations of the same.

Page 7 - Sympathy Versus Empathy...continuing to a question...Could sympathy be the reason for Madhu falling in love with Rishabh Kundra ?

Page 11 - Ideal , Self-righteous, and issues with Self-Esteem

(Pages 7 to 13 - also about character analysis of Rishabh Kundra and Madhubala)

Page 13 - What would it take for one to realize ? - Topic started - Angeena

Page 14 - To what extent one can go Crazy ? Let's compare Reel Superstar with Real Superstar - Topic starter - Soundarya

Page 14 - Comparing Rishbala to another Real Life Star-Jodi - Topic starter - Soundarya

Page 15 - TESTING OUR LIMITS - Whether to Break, Accept or Adjust ? - Topic Starter - SD

Page 15 - Costumes and Dressing of the Soap Heroine - Topic Starter - Pnars

Page 15 - Make-up, Hair-Styling and Costumes  - MEIEJ & its Crew/Stylists

Edited by 0-SD-0 - 11 years ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

0-SD-0 thumbnail
Today topic is Relationship Abuse.

Initiator: iiDona

Convener: iiDona

******************************************************************************************************

TOPIC CANCELLED

iiDona has started the discussion in independent thread.

Will let you know when we have a new topic to discuss.
DonnaHarvey thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 2
so sorry for having jumped the gun. I should have made it more clear I suppose. I actually made a separate post about the same topic. apologies for any confusion but count me in for META Edited by iiDona - 11 years ago
0-SD-0 thumbnail
Originally posted by: iiDona

so sorry for having jumped the gun. I should have made it more clear I suppose. I actually made a separate post about the same topic. apologies for any confusion but count me in for META

No problemo. I will cancel the topic.

SD
0-SD-0 thumbnail
Since the start is looking like a fiasco... I am trying to give an idea, what sort of posts or ideas become ideal META topics.

Example.

Originally posted by MarathiMulgi

To all my wonderful writer friends here...

Just a random question. Do all the serials in indian television show heroines (leads or other females in the show) not much educated or at higher posts? I am not at all saying working in a parlor is not good. Please do not get me wrong. Any job that gives you financial independence is good and respectable but why can't the heroine be a research scientist in TIFR for a change? Is it too much to ask? Will people ban that serial completely? 

Originally posted by 0-SD-0

Commercially it is NOT a VIABLE IDEA. Not feasible.

The TRP audience is the Indian Average Woman, watching the TV, while taking care of her kids, cooking, family, housekeeping, she is busy as hell and yet smart to juggle so many jobs at hand in her time sans the sleeping time...and for all that she does not need to be research scientist. She is someone who closely resembles Shashi of English Vinglish Movie.

Hence, have a soap heroine who is RELATABLE.

Now if you show research scientist or AD Executive or IT Professional, I as the audience would start expecting you to show me the Science Projects she is working on, the Ad ideas, jingles, office politics affecting her, The IT's escalated calls at night and working out of blackberry or remoting into office computer from your bed, with your sleeping husband besides you ...because all HI-FI jobs have professional responsibilities that affect us 24X7. We all live the professional life along with personal life. Haven't we worked for 13 to 16 hours, don't our families understand...don't we decide...that weekend is when we are gonna talk...something like that.

So now tell me...is India...the TV viewing audience ready to see all this ?

hansa22 thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail
I remember Jassi Jaisi Koi Nahi...which was based in an advertising agency, that had women in their capacity as advertising professionals. Of course, the basic premise was a love story. So,  no they did'nt show too much of the professional challenges faced by the lead while working. 

This was inspired by 'Ugly Betty', btw.

I just popped in to make A comment on MM's post. 

SD- Good idea to set this up! The whole Ramayana discussion, got lost in the ED. 

OoViVioO thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
Honestly for me I watch TV soaps for entertainment, and even for fantasy.  Every woman wants a heroine they can relate with because she can fantasize that it could be her.  And as a woman myself I like to  dreams of a prince that can rescue me from my problems. And this by no means say Im weak or unable to fix my problems myself. Its just as a mother of 3 and full time worker at hospital I deserve to imagine someone else taking care of me. Even if the prince has flaws its still a fantasy...cuz in the end I get what i want which is romance and love, regardless of how its obtained.. If I wanted to watch something regarding female rights i would read real life articles or watch the news.  But does this make me a bad person? No. Im just a woman who can separate reality from fantasy. And for your question would I really want to watch a heroine that is some kind of scientist probably not. Because I watch soaps to fantasize and get away from reality. I just thought i post what i thought here because the other thread is kinda scary. Hope you guys dont bash me.😊 Edited by amieo1 - 11 years ago
Angeena thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail
It is why most people watch serials .. to see something which gives us a reason to smile and laugh, and break the monotony which otherwise we settle into. A way to relax.

But that doesn't mean that the female characters have to be so utterly dependent on their male counterparts for everything. Why can't they both be on equal footing? Why can't they both be from good backgrounds with good education and good jobs?

Either the girl or the boy, one of them is always financially unstable. And this is used to showcase problems in family, society. Ok, so money is an issue, but can't they show that they are working to improve their life? Not justing sitting around, wearing all that heavy jewelry and crying tears and yelling "Maa ye tune kya kiya? Kyun kiya aisa humare saath?"
DonnaHarvey thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 2
This reminds me of Rishta.com. That show is the only show that has come remotely close to the idea of a woman who can juggle a career & romance. We all know how that ended . The production house was beaten down & shooed away from TV industry altogether. The mass appeal is with the sub-urban or rural audience where escapism or relatability are major deciding factors in picking TV shows. If being a scientist or high ranking professional is glamorized (which is never easy; nature of my work so I know😆), it will only be exciting for a small group people. No one wants a cult show. Not to say this cannot be done. There are channels for everyone now but, mass appealing channels will stick to conventional topics for sometime because their target demographic is resistant to change. Even the small social messages are subtly spoonfed so, women oriented show is wishful thinking on SP or Zee or Colors, etc. 
Ananya05 thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 2
There have been shows started off with a theme to focus on Female protagonists career, but given the taste of audiences, could not stick to that plot. I can't remember the names. Does any one remember any such shows?