Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Siaa_Rickman thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail + 7
Posted: 11 years ago
Dhruv is trying to analyse his ' Badi Bhabhi' a lot! Well, young man, it's going to be a tough nut to crack..After all the great ASR himself took so much of time to understand her!

Dadi and Mami on terms and laughing together..a sight to behold.

"That blasted goat" LOL!! Somethings never change right?!

I wonder how can Khushi talk sooo much?? Non-stop she's on and on! Phew! Had I been in Dhruv's place even I would have been flabbergasted thinking how in the world did the ASR put up with so much talk?! Thankfully being on the other side I know that Arnav loves to hear his wife talk even if it's utter crap ðŸ˜†

Hearing the one-sided conversation itself Dhruv's is so shocked! Had he heard the entire conversation, he would have just lost his mind ðŸ˜†

"Lad Governor" Haaye !!

Arnav used to literally be his moral strength and support! No wonder they are so close and love each other so much!! 

Edited by -Siaa- - 11 years ago
Siaa_Rickman thumbnail
Double Post**Edited by -Siaa- - 11 years ago
swat.g thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail Fascinator 1 Thumbnail
sorry for commenting a little late!! but aweeesome update!!! loved the fight n the way arnav grew restless when she wasnt talking to him...n the makeup scene was perfect,..n the pubic display of affection n dhruv seeing it was kinda funny...n khush managed to make arnav talk..now i want to hear dhruv's side!!! 
Siaa_Rickman thumbnail
How many times is there going to be an aarthi in the Raizada Mansion? Kabhi this pooja, kabhi that pooja! Seriously?

Mami is absolutely right!! The one who has handled the Lad Governor itself, yeh Dhruv kya cheez hai?

And Dhruv babuwa, try to find a stack of excuses and tareekas to get out of this family pooja!! LOL!

Khushi can always sense him! It kind of amazes me how they are always able to recognise each other. 

And finally Arnav's control fuses out!  Poor Khushi has to bear the brunt of it..but like they say..it's the closest ones whom we always take liberty upon!!

Khushi is no less! As stubborn as her husband, she knows how to handle him!

The best part is the guilt that Arnav has for unnecessarily taking out his anger and frustration on her and now he is angry at himself for hurting her..!

Poor HP is saved from the wrath of ASR!! His limbs must have been shaking and shivering when Khushi must have asked him to give the food tray to Arnav!! Mrs ASR way to go!!

It's not that he doesn't understand his family or that they dont understand him! It's just that they dont know how to pass the facade that surrounds him always! They know that Arnav in ASR but they dont how to bring that Arnav out! And that's the only reason why Khushi is the link that connects him to his own family as she is the only one who can cross all those barriers and wade through to reach Arnav!

Sometimes you come with such beautiful sentences brimming with emotions that it's hard to even describe how beautiful they are "As Anjali walked out, Arnav looked up again, his eyes locking instantly with those of his wife, the pain and regret in his brother's eyes making even Dhruv's breath hitch. He heard Khushi Bhabi's sharp intake of breath and in the next instant, she passed by him in a blur as she rushed to her husband.

Not taking his eyes off her, Arnav watched his wife come running to him, her hurt forgotten in the face of his pain. Oblivious to the fond looks they were getting from the family, Arnav gathered her up in his arms, holding her close. Finding as much relief in giving comfort to her husband as he was getting on receiving it, Khushi stood quiet, gently stroking his back, silently telling him that all was forgiven.

Not breaking the embrace, Arnav whispered, "Khushi, I'm sorry. I don't know why I always take it out on you. It's not fair, I know, but..."

Hugging him tighter to silence him, she said, "I know. I married you knowing it. Laad Governor and his anger, I accepted them both.  " Khushi's melting anger, his guilt, her pain! They can never stand the other in pain! BEAUTIFUL!

Aman and hug? I wonder if it would be lucky or unlucky for him to get a hug*Khushi-wala hug* from ASR ðŸ˜›

Mami and her Hinglish is awesome! It always has me grinning!

Yes, Dhruv Bhaiyaa, the Bhabhi's have brought a lot of change in the family, a lot!!!

Good that Arnavji shouted at me today! Now whatever I ask of him, he won't deny me" - A typical wife to the T!

He loves reading books! And I love reading about him and ofcourse books too ðŸ˜›

They know each other like the back of their palm! I've lost count of how many times I've said it but once again I'd say I love their love and I admire it! We hardly get to see such couples..who stand by each other in pain , in sorrow and in happiness!!

It hurts the other more when one of them is hurt! His pain is her pain! Her sorrow is his sorrow! I love them.

Dhruv rolled out accusations over accusations and that coming out from his own little brother must have shattered Arnav :'( and thus the intensity of hurt and his pain.

Dhruv was scared of disappointing his bhaiyya and hence his outburst of anger and accusations! When it's said Dhruv is close to his bhaiyya and is similar to him, it's absolutely true! Both are quiet, introvert types, they observe and analyse a lot, they also do possess a raging temper and are both quite stoic and remote! One thing Arnav has to understand his just like he has his outbursts on his Di and Khushi and lets his frustration, anger out on them,his own brother did the same just the difference it was on him! Both have no intentions to hurt their loved, close ones but unknowingly each and every single time they hurt these very own people! The real reason might be something else but they take it out in the form of anger and like they say their minds ceases to work when they lose their temper and only when it calms down they realise the depth of their hurtful words and then starts their guilt and anger on themselves for hurting their loved ones! Arnav just has to see this from Dhruv's POV but it's not that easy to forget the hurt, the pain and to think it from a different perspective. It would take a lot of time to do so but it would  definitely heal the wound! Similarly Dhruv just has to understand Arnav was not angry at him for changing courses, but it was hurt from the fact that he hid it from his own brother!! I wouldn't call it ego in this case but it's definitely the rigidity and the fact that both of them shut themselves out without letting others to heal them is what that's brought so much of void in their relationship!! 

And Arnav has finally taken the first step towards it with the help of Khushi! After ages he has let out his deepest sorrow and finds peace inhis wife's arms! Khushi is truly an angel in his life!

Mrs ASR is enraged by the fact that someone has hurt her husband so much!! It will be very interesting to see how she handles DSR now!!

Like I said before, for a character that was never even seen in the show, I feel like I've known Dhruv all along and is a very much part of Raizada family! And my lady the credit goes to you :)   

The characters of Arnav and Dhruv have been etched in such a way that I don't know whom to support and pity for, who is at fault and who is right, who has suffered more! But the best part is their bonding! No matter what, in between the words, we can always feel that love they still have for each other!!

And only thing I can say now - You are the best Dee! 

P.S  My holidays are yet not over thankfully but the worst part of it was I lost the net connection for freaking eight days..eight whole days!!! It was like I was handicapped and my brother was gloating in the fact that 'I'm so net addicted and I cant live without it for a day' I hate him and I HATE BSNL officially now * in big black bold letters*
I'm not net-addicted but I'm an IF addict for sure..*sighs* I did read the fourth part but it was through cell phone and it was a pain in the neck reading it like that! The joy of reading itself was lost so I'd decided for my net to reappear and I'm back :))

Cute6 thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
Dis piece of writing is just fab..
Dese are so imaginative and seem very real..
Us os are just a writen update of daily hapenings..
So beautifuly described and penned down..
Des r one of d best works of dis forum nd ur are wonderful writer..
I wud lyk 2 b a part of dis beautiful journey nd wud luv 2 read more..
Plz add me 2 ur pm list nd pm me wen u update..
Have sent u a budy request...
AparnaRenu thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail + 5

Hey there, guys...

I want to thank all those who took the time to leave all those wonderful comments! They made my day!

I'm glad the previous part matched up to the hype and your expectations...

Here's part 6 - Enjoy!

Andas always, please leave comments...

Scroll down for the English Version.

Part 6

Arnav came awake gradually, feeling completely rested. Not opening his eyes, he rubbed his face against the warm surface it was tucked up against. Receiving a soft kiss in return, he pried open his eyes with a smile, and lay there listening to his wife's steady breathing. "What better way can there be to wake up?", he thought as he looked up from where he had been laying, against the crook of Khushi's shoulder and neck.

She was looking down at him, a look of gentle love on her face that told him that it was one of those days where he was going to be pampered within an inch of his life. "Must be because of our talk last night", he thought.

He knew that whenever he told her about something that had hurt him in the past, his wife wouldn't rest until she had showered as much love on him as was possible in her haste to rub away the pain.

As she turned against him to reverse their positions so that she was now lying against his chest, she hugged him tight, heaving a mighty sigh.

Hugging her back, he chuckled, "Itni subah hi aisa kya hua ki tum aise sigh kar rahi ho?"

"Kuch nahin, bus humarein din ke liye taiyyaar ho rahe hain. Aap ko aaj jaldi jaana hain naah?"

Looking sideways at the bedside clock he grimaced. He wouldn't have time to enjoy a lie-a-bed morning. "Haan, mujhe abhi kuch der me hi nikalna hain. Achcha, yeh bataao, aaj kya karne jaa rahi ho, ki taiyyaari karni padi?"

Nuzzling her face against his warm night-shirt clad chest, she mumbled, "Aap bhool gaye? Aaj budhvaar hain naah? Humein Prateeksha jaana hain."

"Oh, I'd forgotten. Di ke saath ja rahi ho?" he asked, wondering why she wasn't looking at him.

"Nahin, aaj hum akele ja rahe hain. Di bol rahi thi ki aaj unke kuch college ke dost se milne jaana hain", Khushi replied, hiding her face still. She knew that one look at her face and her Arnavji would read the lie as if she were an open book.

It was getting late and in his hurry to get up, Arnav said, "Okay, let me know agar tumhein company chahiye toh. I can shift around my meetings and be free after lunch."

Gently shifting her to the pillow, Arnav sat up and stretched. Getting up, he turned and held his hand out, smiling down at his wife. Letting her husband pull her up, she replied, "Ji. Ab hum jaldi se nahaakar aate hain. Tab tak aap apna jogging karke aaiye."

Giving her a quick hug and a kiss, Arnav went to change into his sweatsuit and headed out for his morning jog.

By the time Dhruv got up and came downstairs, everyone was up and about. Settling down at the dining table with his tea and the morning paper, he sat contently, watching the morning hustle and bustle of the household on a working day.

Both his Bhabis were busy in the kitchen and Di was supervising Hariprakash who was cleaning up the dining area. His brother and father were seated near him with their tea, busy discussing some upcoming meeting. Dadi and his mother having gone to the temple, the only one unaccounted for was his eldest brother, not that he wanted to ask and attract attention.

Just then the front door opened and he came in, sweaty from his moring run, a paper bag clutched in his hand. Dhruv watched him turn towards the kitchen and watch his wife who was doing a balancing act between rolling out poori, frying them and cooking sabzi, all at once. The look of utter fascination and love on Arnav's face was something that Dhruv had never seen until his return home, and which by now he had realised was one that his brother reserved just for his Bhabi.

Payal looked up to see her jethji shifting from one foot to the other, contemplating whether he should go in or not and smirked. She walked out, calling out to Anjali, leaving the couple alone. Relieved, Arnav walked up and stood behind her, holding the bag in front of her nose.

"Channe!" The delighted squeak making him grin, he leaned over her shoulder to tweak her nose. "Arnavji! Paseena! Aap jaaiye aur nahaa leejiye. Hum aapke naashte ka intezaam kar rahe hain!"

His wife and his Di, both were total nuts when it came to feeding him, he thought. Handing her the packet, he grinned at her and strode off to the stairs, not noticing his young brother, who was by ow sporting the stunned look that seemed to grace his face whenever he saw how his Bhaiyya was around Khushi Bhabi.

Breakfast passed in a blur and by the time Dhruv got his bearings again, it dawned on him that it would be just him and the ladies left at home. The first to leave, Akash Bhai was getting a fond send-off from Payal Bhabi and to someone who not seen the relationship in its developing stages, the sweetness was a bit too much to digest. It was his brother, for God's sake!

Hastily looking away, he saw his father's ears getting talked off his head by his mother, nothing new there, atleast. Invariably, his eyes were pulled to the couple who were standing farthest away from him. Arnav Bhaiyya was barking away on the phone, absently tilting his head up so that his wife got a better angle to fix his tie. Giving it a final tug, Khushi Bhabi stood back, surveying her work, before reaching for his coat and holding it out to her husband. Shifting the phone from one hand to the other, never breaking the conversation, he wore the coat and took his bag from his wife. Grabbing her close for a quick kiss on her forehead, he smiled down at her and was out of the door in seconds, followed by Akash and his father.

The everyday-quality of the scene he had just seen made it all the more poignant for Dhruv. It brought it home to him that he had missed a lot, missed the major changes that had happened in his brother's life. Every action that he had witnessed was a well-practised dance, performed automatically, lovingly, as if they had done it before and would go on doing it for the rest of their lives.

As she saw her youngest brother watching Khushi who was now waving goodbye to her husband at the door, Anjali quietly stepped up to him. "Tumhara Arnav Bhaiyya kaafi badal gaya hain naah?"

Turning to her slowly, Dhruv met her eyes, "Haan. Aur main soch raha tha ki unke yeh nayi zindagi mein mere liya kabhi bhi jagah banegi ya nahin."

Getting up suddenly, he walked away, heading up to his room, leaving a speechless Anjali behind.

"Arre, yeh kahaan jaa raha hain?" Payal asked as she walked up with Khushi who was following him with her eyes, uncharacteristically silent.

Not answering the question, Anjali asked Khushi, "Khushiji, aaj dopahar ko aap Prateeksha ja rahe hain naah? Chotte bhi aaj poora din busy hain, toh aap akele jaaoge? Hum bhi chalein aap ke saath?"

Coming out of her reverie, Khushi replied, "Di, woh kya hain naah, aaj humara class hain. Toh agar aap aaogi toh bhi bus wahan baithe rehna padega. Hum chale jaayenge. Aap fikar mat keejiye, Mohanji hain naah, humein le jaane keliye. Arre, haan, isse yaad aaya, humein toh bachchon ke liye kuch cheezen khareedna hain. Di, hum yoon gaye aur yoon aaye."

Watching her hurry out, Anjali and Payal smiled. Industriousness, thy name is Khushi!

Dhruv spent the whole of the moring on his laptop, catching up with his colleagues and the progress of his research team. He was by now rethinking his decision of coming home. It was just too hard to be in the same house that had been his home once and not feel at home.

He loved his family, but this visit had made him realise with stunning clarity that to him, home had always been where his brother was, who had been his guide, protector and mentor ever since he could remember. Until he had left for his studies, his routine had revolved around his brother and now, when he was back, he was having to watch from the sidelines, for fear of seeing total hatred on his Bhaiyya's face if he went before him.

Slamming his laptop shut, he got up, pacing around the room in his frustration and guilt. The sense of being the wronged party had faded over time, the enormity of how much he had hurt his brother, who had basically brought him up, eating at him. But now that he was here, he had no idea how to even begin apologising. An apology required the other person to listen. And Dhruv knew that when his brother was in his all out ASR mode with someone, he would never listen. Right now, with Dhruv, his brother was no longer being Arnav Bhaiyya, he was the ASR.

Running his hands through his hair savagely, he swore.

"Dhruv!" The shocked voice of his Di had him jerking around. She was standing at the door, her eyes as wide as saucers, a sight that would have been funny if he had been in the mood.

"Not now, Di. I'm busy."

"Dhruv Sigh Raizada, tum apni American language wahan hi chodke aaye toh hi achcha hain. Yeh mat bhoolo ki ab bhi tum iss ghar ke sabse chotte sadasy ho. Tameez se baat karo. Iss ghar main ek ASR hi bahut hain. Ab tum doosra mat bano", Anjali replied sharply.

It was Dhruv's turn to be shocked now. He had never been told off by his Di before and now, apparently, she had joined the list of people he had offended. Contrite at having angered the gentlest soul he had ever known, he took a step towards her, "Di, main ..."

Holding her hand up, Anjali said, "Bus. Kuch bolne ki zaroorat nahin hain. Itne saalon baad ghar aaya hain aur apne kamre mein band rehte ho. Neeche chalo, Nani aur Mami tumhare baare mein pooch rahe the", and turned around to march downstairs. Sighing, he followed meekly.

He came downstairs to find the house strangely silent. Only his mother and Dadi were sitting drinking tea and doign some mending. As he sat down next to his mother, he asked, "Baaki sab kahan hain?"

"Kaun sab? Tumre babuji aur bhaiyya log subah hi office chale gaye, naah? Aur hum toh eehyan hi hain!" Manorama replied.

Breathing deep to keep his exasperation in check, Dhruv asked again, "Ma, main Payal Bhabi aur Khushi Bhabi ke baare mein pooch raha tha."

"Toh pehle kiyoon naahi kaha? Khoon-bhari-tang apni maiternity home mein chali gayi, but she bill be back", his mother sighed, "And phati-saadi toh shaapping ke liye gaye hain. Bithout caaling us! Humph!"

There it was again, he had forgotten all about the weird titles his mother had bestowed on his sisters-in-law. Turning to his mother, Dhruv asked, "Ma, aap unko yeh kaise naam se pukaarte ho? Phati-saadi and khoon-what?"

Bursting into laughter, his mother replied, "Arre bitwa, ee names becoj oo donon aisan hi hain. Paayaliya jab first time eehyan aayi toh apan leg mein bilad thi aur Khusi bitiya pehli baar eehyan lots of phati saadi lekar aayi thi..."

Interrupting quickly, his Dadi said in a warning tone, "Manorama..."

Grinning at her, Manorama continued, "Humra matbal hain, oo ki saadi hum phaad diye rahe..."

"What? You tore her dress?!" Dhruv exclaimed. As he and his brothers used to say, this family was mad, but this was taking it too far!

"Nahin, mere bhai. Khushiji jo saadiyan bechne ke liye laye the, Mami unki baat kar rahi hain", Anjali giggled.

"Saadi bechne? Yahaan? But I thought Bhabi ke pitaji ka mithai ki shop hain. Woh saadiwala bhi hain?" Dhruv's head had started spinning.

"Arre, ee toh totally confiyused hain! Bitwa, I Manorama will explain."

And then the recital started - of the whole dramatic story that had led to Akash's wedding to Payal and the even more filmy story of how his Bhaiyya had wed his soulmate, that too, twice!

"So the legendary Dadiji had made an appearance, huh?" Dhruv asked, a couple fo hours later, his very breath taken away by the story he had just heard. He could now understand how his brother had changed so much and why he always stood ready to move heaven and earth for his lovely wife. A bond that had stood the test of so many threats would have either broken down or emerged stronger than iron.

"For two people to suffer so much in love, and for their love, its just incredible! Aur Bhaiyya toh agar kisi ko apnaate hain toh jaan se badhkar pyaar karte hain...magar yahaan toh Bhabi unki jaan hi nahin, poori duniya ban gayi hain", Dhruv thought.

Just then, his Bhabi walked in, carrying covers, followed by Mohan and Hariprakash who were tottering under even more packages.

"Ee liyo humri heroine aa gayi!" Mami called out. "Phati saadi, tum humein bulaye bina shaaping ke liye kaisan jaa sakath ho? Not fayer!"

Smiling at her as she collapsed on the couch, Khushi replied, "Mamiji, hum bachchon ke liye saaman lene gaye the. Aaj humein whan jaana hain naah."

"Ooh, hum toh forget hi gayein. Tab theek hain." Manorama replied.

"Kab jaa rahi ho bitiya? Ab hi ek bajnewale hain", Nani asked, the question continued on by Anjali, "Khaana laga doon?"

"Ji, Di. Hum khaana khatam karte hi niklenge, Naniji. Warna shaam ko wapas aane mein der ho jaayega. Hum bus haath-mooh dhoke aate hain."

Watching her skip up the stairs, Dhruv asked, "Kahaan jaa rahi hain? Aur kaun bachche?"

Smiling fondly after her sister-in-law, Anjali replied, "Woh ek institution hain, Prateeksha, jiske saath AR pehle unke CSR initiative se jude hue the, par ab hum parivaarwale bhi wahan jaana shuroo kiya hain. Woh ek aisi facility hain jahaan rehabilitation process pe dhyaan di jaati hain. Chaahe woh physical abuse cases ho, psychological trauma se related cases ho ya mentally-retarded ya disabled bachchon ke padhaayi ho. Aur Khushiji har hafte mein kam-se-kam ek din bachchon ke liye tuition lene jaati hain. Kabhi akele, kabhi Chotte ke saath..."

Not hearing a reply from her brother, she turned to look at him, to find him sitting quiet, lost in thought. Realising that he was slowly getting a taste of the myriad shades of his Bhabi, who he must have initially thought to be a childish, bubbly, chatterbox of a girl, she smiled to herself, thinking of the many many surprises Dhruv would get before he had his Bhabi all figured out.

By the time Khushi had freshened up and come down, Anjali and Manorama had set the table for lunch and they were all waiting for her. Settling down to eat, Khushi remained lost in thought until Nani asked, "Kaa baat hain, bitiya? Kauno pareshaani hain, kaa? Aap itni chup-chup se kaahe baithi ho?"

Looking up, she replied, "Kuch nahin, Naniji. Bus, thode dhake hue hain, itni der shopping jo kar rahe the."

Anjali, who had seen her watching Dhruv intently, kept quiet. She knew her Khushiji pretty well. And if her guess was correct, Dhruv would have to answer a lot of questions from his Bhabi. She had understood from Khushi's subdued demeanour since moring that she had indeed had a chat with her husband the last night and that it must have been hard on her to see his pain.

Sure enough, after finishing lunch, Khushi stood up and announced that she was heading out to Prateeksha. Turning around to look hard at Dhruv who was just walking past her to wash his hands, she asked, "Dhruv, aap bhi chalo mere saath. Aap pehle nahin gaye ho naah, wahan?"

Startled, he sputtered, "Main? Main kya karoongi, Bhabi, wahan jaake?"

Smiling a tight smile, she replied, "Bus, un logon ke saath thoda waqt bitaao. Unka honsla badhao...yeh hi toh hai joh hum kar sakte hain."

He wasn't comfortable with the idea of spending the whole afternoon and evening alone in her company, seeing how they were practically strangers, still. He looked around to see Dadi smiling at him, silently telling him to go along, while his mother said, "Good idea, Khusi bitiya! Humra booti-parlour appointment nahin hota toh hum bhi chalte. Dhruv, tum jaike aao."

Seeing no way out, he agreed, feeling slightly apprehensive after seeing the concerned look Anjali threw at him after flicking a glance at Khushi.

"Why do I feel as if I'm about to face the firing squad?" he wondered as he followed his Bhabi out, quietly taking the bags she handed to him.

Author's note:

The fact that this was initially an OS, which then became a 3-part MS, and is now flowing on and on well on its way to being an FF is something that I find hilarious!

And please leave comments...

I'm coming down with a severe case of sinusitis...If I'm better in a couple of days, I'll update on Friday, else it will be on Sunday.

Special note to those who ask for PMs

- please take the effort to send me a buddy request. And if you turn out to be a silent reader, you'll not get a PM.

If you liked my work, please do visit My Index

AparnaRenu thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail + 5

English Version.

Part 6

Arnav came awake gradually, feeling completely rested. Not opening his eyes, he rubbed his face against the warm surface it was tucked up against. Receiving a soft kiss in return, he pried open his eyes with a smile, and lay there listening to his wife's steady breathing. "What better way can there be to wake up?", he thought as he looked up from where he had been laying, against the crook of Khushi's shoulder and neck.

She was looking down at him, a look of gentle love on her face that told him that it was one of those days where he was going to be pampered within an inch of his life. "Must be because of our talk last night", he thought.

He knew that whenever he told her about something that had hurt him in the past, his wife wouldn't rest until she had showered as much love on him as was possible in her haste to rub away the pain.

As she turned against him to reverse their positions so that she was now lying against his chest, she hugged him tight, heaving a mighty sigh.

Hugging her back, he chuckled, "Such a big sigh this early in the moring? What's up?"

"Nothing, just getting ready for the day. Don't you have to leave early today?"

Looking sideways at the bedside clock he grimaced. He wouldn't have time to enjoy a lie-a-bed morning. "Yes, in a little while. By the way, what are you planning to do today that you have to prepare?"

Nuzzling her face against his warm night-shirt clad chest, she mumbled, "You forgot? It's wednesday today, I've to go to Prateeksha."

"Oh, I'd forgotten. Going with Di?" he asked, wondering why she wasn't looking at him.

"No, I'll be going alone. A few of Di's college friends are coming today", Khushi replied, hiding her face still. She knew that one look at her face and her Arnavji would read the lie as if she were an open book.

It was getting late and in his hurry to get up, Arnav said, "Okay, let me know if you need company. I can shift around my meetings and be free after lunch."

Gently shifting her to the pillow, Arnav sat up and stretched. Getting up, he turned and held his hand out, smiling down at his wife. Letting her husband pull her up, she replied, "Ji. I'll go finish my bath quickly. You go for your jogging and come by then."

Giving her a quick hug and a kiss, Arnav went to change into his sweatsuit and headed out for his morning jog.

By the time Dhruv got up and came downstairs, everyone was up and about. Settling down at the dining table with his tea and the morning paper, he sat contently, watching the morning hustle and bustle of the household on a working day.

Both his Bhabis were busy in the kitchen and Di was supervising Hariprakash who was cleaning up the dining area. His brother and father were seated near him with their tea, busy discussing some upcoming meeting. Dadi and his mother having gone to the temple, the only one unaccounted for was his eldest brother, not that he wanted to ask and attract attention.

Just then the front door opened and he came in, sweaty from his moring run, a paper bag clutched in his hand. Dhruv watched him turn towards the kitchen and watch his wife who was doing a balancing act between rolling out poori, frying them and cooking sabzi, all at once. The look of utter fascination and love on Arnav's face was something that Dhruv had never seen until his return home, and which by now he had realised was one that his brother reserved just for his Bhabi.

Payal looked up to see her jethji shifting from one foot to the other, contemplating whether he should go in or not and smirked. She walked out, calling out to Anjali, leaving the couple alone. Relieved, Arnav walked up and stood behind her, holding the bag in front of her nose.

"Channe!" The delighted squeak making him grin, he leaned over her shoulder to tweak her nose. "Arnavji! Sweat! Go bathe now. I'll get your breakfast ready!"

His wife and his Di, both were total nuts when it came to feeding him, he thought. Handing her the packet, he grinned at her and strode off to the stairs, not noticing his young brother, who was by ow sporting the stunned look that seemed to grace his face whenever he saw how his Bhaiyya was around Khushi Bhabi.

Breakfast passed in a blur and by the time Dhruv got his bearings again, it dawned on him that it would be just him and the ladies left at home. The first to leave, Akash Bhai was getting a fond send-off from Payal Bhabi and to someone who not seen the relationship in its developing stages, the sweetness was a bit too much to digest. It was his brother, for God's sake!

Hastily looking away, he saw his father's ears getting talked off his head by his mother, nothing new there, atleast. Invariably, his eyes were pulled to the couple who were standing farthest away from him. Arnav Bhaiyya was barking away on the phone, absently tilting his head up so that his wife got a better angle to fix his tie. Giving it a final tug, Khushi Bhabi stood back, surveying her work, before reaching for his coat and holding it out to her husband. Shifting the phone from one hand to the other, never breaking the conversation, he wore the coat and took his bag from his wife. Grabbing her close for a quick kiss on her forehead, he smiled down at her and was out of the door in seconds, followed by Akash and his father.

The everyday-quality of the scene he had just seen made it all the more poignant for Dhruv. It brought it home to him that he had missed a lot, missed the major changes that had happened in his brother's life. Every action that he had witnessed was a well-practised dance, performed automatically, lovingly, as if they had done it before and would go on doing it for the rest of their lives.

As she saw her youngest brother watching Khushi who was now waving goodbye to her husband at the door, Anjali quietly stepped up to him. "Your Arnav Bhaiyya has changed a lot, hasn't he?"

Turning to her slowly, Dhruv met her eyes, "Yes. And I'm wondering if I'll ever be able to fit into his new world."

Getting up suddenly, he walked away, heading up to his room, leaving a speechless Anjali behind.

"Arre, where's he going?" Payal asked as she walked up with Khushi who was following him with her eyes, uncharacteristically silent.

Not answering the question, Anjali asked Khushi, "Khushiji, you'll be going to Prateeksha in the afternoon, right? Chotte is also busy the whole day, so will you be all alone? Shall I go with you"

Coming out of her reverie, Khushi replied, "Di, actually I have my class today. So even if you come, you'll have to sit around waiting for me. Don't worry, Mohanji will be there. Arre,I'd forgotten! I have to buy some stuff for the kids. I'll just run out and get them."

Watching her hurry out, Anjali and Payal smiled. Industriousness, thy name is Khushi!

Dhruv spent the whole of the moring on his laptop, catching up with his colleagues and the progress of his research team. He was by now rethinking his decision of coming home. It was just too hard to be in the same house that had been his home once and not feel at home.

He loved his family, but this visit had made him realise with stunning clarity that to him, home had always been where his brother was, who had been his guide, protector and mentor ever since he could remember. Until he had left for his studies, his routine had revolved around his brother and now, when he was back, he was having to watch from the sidelines, for fear of seeing total hatred on his Bhaiyya's face if he went before him.

Slamming his laptop shut, he got up, pacing around the room in his frustration and guilt. The sense of being the wronged party had faded over time, the enormity of how much he had hurt his brother, who had basically brought him up, eating at him. But now that he was here, he had no idea how to even begin apologising. An apology required the other person to listen. And Dhruv knew that when his brother was in his all out ASR mode with someone, he would never listen. Right now, with Dhruv, his brother was no longer being Arnav Bhaiyya, he was the ASR.

Running his hands through his hair savagely, he swore.

"Dhruv!" The shocked voice of his Di had him jerking around. She was standing at the door, her eyes as wide as saucers, a sight that would have been funny if he had been in the mood.

"Not now, Di. I'm busy."

"Dhruv Sigh Raizada, it would be good for all concerned if you leave your American language there itself. Don't forget that you're still the youngest. Learn to speak properly, one ASR is more than enough in this house", Anjali replied sharply.

It was Dhruv's turn to be shocked now. He had never been told off by his Di before and now, apparently, she had joined the list of people he had offended. Contrite at having angered the gentlest soul he had ever known, he took a step towards her, "Di, I just ..."

Holding her hand up, Anjali said, "Enough. No explanations. You've come home after so long and what's the point if you remain shut in your room? Nani and Mami are waiting for you downstairs", and turned around to march downstairs. Sighing, he followed meekly.

He came downstairs to find the house strangely silent. Only his mother and Dadi were sitting drinking tea and doign some mending. As he sat down next to his mother, he asked, "Where's everyone else?"

"Who? Your babuji and brothers left for work in the morning itself. And we are here!" Manorama replied.

Breathing deep to keep his exasperation in check, Dhruv asked again, "Ma, I meant Payal Bhabi and Khushi Bhabi."

"Then why didn't you say so? Khoon-bhari-tang went to her maiternity home, but she bill be back", his mother sighed, "And phati-saadi has gone shaapping. Bithout caaling us! Humph!"

There it was again, he had forgotten all about the weird titles his mother had bestowed on his sisters-in-law. Turning to his mother, Dhruv asked, "Ma, why do you call them that? Phati-saadi and khoon-what?"

Bursting into laughter, his mother replied, "Arre bitwa, ee names becoj they are like that. Paayaliya came here first time with aayi bilad on her leg and Khusi bitiya came with lots of phati saadi..."

Interrupting quickly, his Dadi said in a warning tone, "Manorama..."

Grinning at her, Manorama continued, "I means to say, I tore her saadis..."

"What? You tore her dress?!" Dhruv exclaimed. As he and his brothers used to say, this family was mad, but this was taking it too far!

"No, mere bhai. The sarees Khushiji had brought...", Anjali giggled.

"She came to sell them? But I thought Bhabi's father had a sweet shop. He's a saadiwala as well?" Dhruv's head had started spinning.

"Arre, he is totally confiyused ! Bitwa, I Manorama will explain."

And then the recital started - of the whole dramatic story that had led to Akash's wedding to Payal and the even more filmy story of how his Bhaiyya had wed his soulmate, that too, twice!

"So the legendary Dadiji had made an appearance, huh?" Dhruv asked, a couple fo hours later, his very breath taken away by the story he had just heard. He could now understand how his brother had changed so much and why he always stood ready to move heaven and earth for his lovely wife. A bond that had stood the test of so many threats would have either broken down or emerged stronger than iron.

"For two people to suffer so much in love, and for their love, its just incredible! And if Bhaiyya decides to accept someone, he''l love them beyond life itself...but here, Bhabi has become his entire world", Dhruv thought.

Just then, his Bhabi walked in, carrying covers, followed by Mohan and Hariprakash who were tottering under even more packages.

"Ee liyo our heroine has come!" Mami called out. "Phati saadi, you didn't call me for shaaping? Not fayer!"

Smiling at her as she collapsed on the couch, Khushi replied, "Mamiji, I just went to buy a few things for the kids."

"Ooh, I forgot. Ok, then." Manorama replied.

"When are you going, bitiya? Its almost one o'clock", Nani asked, the question continued on by Anjali, "Shall I serve lunch?"

"Ji, Di. I'll leave as soon as we finish lunch, Naniji. Else I'll be late in getting back. I'll freshen up and come."

Watching her skip up the stairs, Dhruv asked, "Where's she going? And what kids?"

Smiling fondly after her sister-in-law, Anjali replied, "There's an institution, Prateeksha, with which AR was associated in its CSR initiative. But now, the family is actively involved in its activities. It is a facility that focuses on rehabilitation processes of physical abuse, psychological trauma related cases, and training and education of mentally-retarded or disabled children. Khushiji goes atleast once a week to tutor the kids. Sometimes alone, sometimes with Chotte..."

Not hearing a reply from her brother, she turned to look at him, to find him sitting quiet, lost in thought. Realising that he was slowly getting a taste of the myriad shades of his Bhabi, who he must have initially thought to be a childish, bubbly, chatterbox of a girl, she smiled to herself, thinking of the many many surprises Dhruv would get before he had his Bhabi all figured out.

By the time Khushi had freshened up and come down, Anjali and Manorama had set the table for lunch and they were all waiting for her. Settling down to eat, Khushi remained lost in thought until Nani asked, "What's wrong, bitiya? Anything troubling you? Why are you so quiet?"

Looking up, she replied, "Nothing, Naniji. Just a little tired after the shopping."

Anjali, who had seen her watching Dhruv intently, kept quiet. She knew her Khushiji pretty well. And if her guess was correct, Dhruv would have to answer a lot of questions from his Bhabi. She had understood from Khushi's subdued demeanour since moring that she had indeed had a chat with her husband the last night and that it must have been hard on her to see his pain.

Sure enough, after finishing lunch, Khushi stood up and announced that she was heading out to Prateeksha. Turning around to look hard at Dhruv who was just walking past her to wash his hands, she asked, "Dhruv, why don't you join me? You've never been there, right?"

Startled, he sputtered, "Me? What'll I do there, Bhabi?"

Smiling a tight smile, she replied, "Spend some time with them. Motivate them...that's the best possible thing we can do for them."

He wasn't comfortable with the idea of spending the whole afternoon and evening alone in her company, seeing how they were practically strangers, still. He looked around to see Dadi smiling at him, silently telling him to go along, while his mother said, "Good idea, Khusi bitiya! If I hadn't had my booti-parlour appointment, I would have come. Dhruv, go with her."

Seeing no way out, he agreed, feeling slightly apprehensive after seeing the concerned look Anjali threw at him after flicking a glance at Khushi.

"Why do I feel as if I'm about to face the firing squad?" he wondered as he followed his Bhabi out, quietly taking the bags she handed to him.

Author's note:

The fact that this was initially an OS, which then became a 3-part MS, and is now flowing on and on well on its way to being an FF is something that I find hilarious!

And please leave comments...

I'm coming down with a severe case of sinusitis...If I'm better in a couple of days, I'll update on Friday, else it will be on Sunday.

Special note to those who ask for PMs

- please take the effort to send me a buddy request. And if you turn out to be a silent reader, you'll not get a PM.

If you liked my work, please do visit My Index

AngelTeen thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 8
Res

*Edited

A very good chapter. I like how everyone is tuned into everyone, except Dhruv but he will be soon too maybe. 

I really like how you are taking forward this tale of family bonds and strains and in it also exploring all the evolved relationships through a stranger's eyes. 
Edited by AngelTeen - 11 years ago
aneelovesarshi thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail

thanks for the pm.

looking forward to the conversation between dhruv and khushi.
Cute6 thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
Thanq for d pm..:)
d beauty of ur story is d relation dat arshi share..
It becums more wonderful becoz u write it so well..
U left in suspense haa..
Nw cant vait 2 read d next part..
Update son asusual lovely update