Bollywood 'not' to be blamed for heinous crimes

Minionite thumbnail

Sarcastic Chatterbox

Posted: 11 years ago

Bollywood 'not' to be blamed for heinous crimes; Item numbers here to stay

Indian film industry believes they can't be blamed for influencing fans negatively

Following the Delhi gang-rape case, Bollywood has been targeted for objectifying women and wrongly influencing the psyche of the public.

The attack has predominantly been on concepts like the 'item numbers' where skimpily-clad women are shown gyrating to offensive lyrics.

Members of the film industry, however, insisted that movies or the "item numbers" cannot be singled-out and blamed for influencing such heinous crimes.

"It won't be the end of item numbers. Besides item numbers per se are not the problem," asserts 'Talaash' director Reema Kagti.

Agrees noted filmmaker Mahesh Bhatt. "I don't think one should succumb to this kind of moral policing. And one should know that our films are being censored before its release."

He further blames the Indian media for unnecessarily attacking Bollywood. "I accept media has got mass appeal but you cannot blame cinema for the increase in crime against women. There is no credible evidence to prove the point that cinema is responsible for the heinous crime.

"In this helpless time when rape cases are on the rise you cannot turn to cinema and say that we are making someone go and rape. Bollywood since time unknown has shown the beauty of women. They have been projected to titillate our senses. There are movies which project women as commodity but there again the question of artistic freedom arises."

Actor Tusshar Kapoor also tweeted in agreement. "Why do these intellectuals blame hindi movies for these crimes against women? Lack of education, poor mind set of the indian male, is it all."

The criticisms has polarized the industry into taking a strong stand against abuse of women in India.

"I think misrepresentation is the problem not over-sexualisation. Our films put out the wrong idea about women, it comes from not understanding them.

"I hope the reaction we are seeing from filmmakers is stemming from them realising we play a huge role in propagating unhealthy gender politics. At the end of the day films shape culture and society and most of our films are extremely misogynist," she added.

Recently, hip-hop star Yo Yo Honey Singh was targeted over offensive lyrics. His New Year's show was cancelled following protests to boycott any acts that glorify rape. Even filmmaker Anurag Kashyap who produced a music video for the singer wasn't spared.

Kashyap later took to facebook to clear his stand. "I don't have any problems with the man. Should I judge the man on the basis of what he did 10 years ago seeking attention or should I judge the man I meet and interact with. Everyone knows there own truth. I believe mine," he wrote.

"Finally.. that song is by a Pakistani band called Zeest and not yo yo honey singh.. see the video, hear the voice, read the comments."

From dedicating poems in her honour, to holding peace march in Mumbai, Bollywood has been vocal about the incident.

India has been burning ever since reports of a 23-year-old medical student was gang-raped in the capital city of Delhi. The victim later succumbed to her injuries while undergoing medical treatment in Singapore.

With inputs from Ajanta Paul

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

DaddyMarvel thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Engager 4 Thumbnail + 8
Yeah, more item numbers = more bar songs = more inebriated f**ks = more rapists = do I even need to equate this crap any further?!

ðŸĪŠ
Minionite thumbnail

Sarcastic Chatterbox

Originally posted by: -Xaffron-

Yeah, more item numbers = more bar songs = more inebriated f**ks = more rapists = do I even need to equate this crap any further?!

ðŸĪŠ

You got there before me. This was going to be my next post! ðŸ˜†

I don't agree with the article at all!
Kal El thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 2
Whoever it was that came up with the idea of diverting the topic from the actual problem to the entertainment industry is an evil genius. Bravo sir/madam! Now if only you used your intelligence for something worthwhile. 
DaddyMarvel thumbnail

Originally posted by: Kal El

Whoever it was that came up with the idea of diverting the topic from the actual problem to the entertainment industry is an evil genius. Bravo sir/madam! Now if only you used your intelligence for something worthwhile. 

India is a home to all sorts of out-of-the-box talents. Don't underestimate, please!
DaddyMarvel thumbnail

Originally posted by: KS_Shreya

You got there before me. This was going to be my next post! ðŸ˜†

I don't agree with the article at all!

Just keep adding to it! It only gets better. 😆
atominis thumbnail
I don't think blame has been completely shifted to entertainment industry. There are debates happening everywhere and everyone is being questioned including attitudes of Indian families. Entertainment is everywhere and audio-visual media has most impact so why shouldn't they be questioned?

Just check how many teens lost their lives in trying to imitate Aamir's Ghulam stunt in all these years since 1998. How many eve-teasers sing filmi songs when they see a female passing by! Ever since Dhoom films came, many criminals tried to copy those "biker gangs" plus there were many reported incidents of increased rash driving by motorcyclists.

Films, songs and ads do have an impact even if they are not solely the root cause of all mess.
starstruckk thumbnail
Bollywood just needs a chance to defend themselves. 

I don't think bollywood is to be blamed for such heinous crimes..but this whole idea of making woman an object of desire is portrayed in these item numbers and that's quite derogatory..and I feel that does have an impact on some parts of society. I remember reading somewhere how after Munni & Sheila became famous, girls with such names were made fun of and bothered by men on local streets. You also have to keep in mind that most people who enjoy such item numbers are the likes of bus drivers, or guys handling  vendors on roads etc...so, I personally think they do negatively impact some people but to fully blame bollywood for such acts is just trying to divert the real issue on hand.