Kamsa, Devaki, Vasudeva

•  
  • Page of 1 Go
  •  
Posted: 11 years ago

Friends,

We know that as the wedding of Devaki and Vasudeva took place and Kamsa was driving the chariot with the newly wed couple, he had to listen the voice from heaven which said, 'Devaki's eighth son is going to cause Kamsa's death.' Kamsa then angrily tried to kill his sister. But Vasudeva talked him out of that keeping his poise and cool and took care of his new wife.

Is there anyway Kamsa could have worked around his fate? If Kamsa told Devaki to divorce Vasudeva immediately, what would have happened? Or Devaki made the decision telling, 'I don't want this marriage because it is going to cause the death of my brother. You can be happy with your other wives. We can divorce by mutual consent.' From what I have read, one book says Vasudeva had seven wives. In another book I read, Vasudeva had twenty wives.

Probably based on the society of those days, this type of thinking could not have been possible. Marriage was a sacred institution and not a social contract. If Devaki divorced Vasudeva on that day, she could never have been able to marry again. Neither could she have probably lived in Kamsa's home also. We know that Amba after being kidnapped, because of certain reasons didn't marry. She did many things but never went back to her father's home.

Cheers,

Mahadevan Venkitaraman

I think so you are right.  But I always wondered as a child that the voice has said "Devaki's eighth child" not "Devaki and Vasudev's eighth child."  I know this is implied as she is married to him, but i wonder, as the divine loopholes are working, if she had been able to part from him...would her eighth child with another husband  (should such a thing have been possible) still be the cause of Kamsa's death?
^^^  It would - Devaki's 8th child from anybody.  Also, while a husband could get rid of his wife, a wife deserting her husband was unheard of in those times.  And most sisters would put their husbands above brothers.

Incidentally, in the Mahabharata, there is a description of how Devaki had a swayamvara - it's not like Kansa gave her in marriage to Vasudev, as depicted in some serials.  In that Swayamvara, Somadatta, the son of Bahlika, a cousin of Santanu, was one of her suitors, but one of Vasudev's friends Sini fought and defeated him & kicked him, and won her for Vasudev.  That was the origin of the Bhurishrava vs Satyaki enemity - Bhurishrava being Somadatta's son, and Satyaki being Sini's grandson.

I find it interesting that SB has nothing on that in the run up to Vasudeva's marriage to Devaki.