Balika Vadhu

A note on the psyche of divorced ladies

mocking_bird thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail + 2
Posted: 11 years ago

One thing I have noticed in this tele drama which we have also discussed at length.

There is an undercurrent which plays at the emotions of divorced ladies. There has been a veiled attempt to show time and again that no matter what,a divorced lady can never forget her ex. A few episodes back,the voice over also pointed towards this notion and there was a heated discussion among members(me included) on this issue. And we have CM who burst into the scene like a volcano and started harping on this time and again like a broken record repeating the same lines as if the pin is stuck at a particular point.

And then we are being shown  Anandi praying for her Jagya,whatever may be the reason. It was demeaning that there are two ladies who have an ex in their lives fanning this idea.I do not know about CM's ex,he could be a better human being. But, at the end of the day, it is also not fair on her part to say that you can never let go of your ex.

It was an insult to the divorced ladies who have fought against all odds to come out winners and to show them as ladies pining for their ex much after the meaning of the failed marriage is over,is crude,to say the least.  Many of them are happily married and are leading a peaceful and contented life. Some of them also watch the tele drama with their second husbands. It is really awkward when the emotions of the wronged wives are played around in this fashion in the name of story telling. 

If you have not gone through this turmoil,you better stay clear of it. And do not try to give ideas that only you know what it means to have a failed marriage behind you and propagate the idea that ladies,at the end of the day, will always pine,cry,pray,love their buffoon of a first husband. 

And we call BV giving a social message, a tele drama that reflects the real life. I do not know how to answer such claims. I have watched my elder sister from very close quarters,her desperation,her fears, her helplessness,when her marriage failed. I have lived through every moment of it with her and yet when she got married again,I never ever saw her even for a moment spare a thought for her ex,not that it was required. I just lose my cool when I see such warped presentation of emotions of a wronged wife through Anandi.

To me,this is male chauvinism at its worst display. To some of my friends,I may appear rude or obstinate,but,this is life for me and this is what life has taught me. I am far more practical and I prefer to keep my emotions under check.

There is a saying which I consider my motto" "your tears are very precious. Make sure you drop it for the persons worthy of it."

Note:I never wanted to voice my personal experiences on this forum,after all this is a public forum. But, ultimately I decided that I need to come out clear on this as I felt,my friends think that I am being unduly harsh on Anandi. I wanted to put the record straight and decided that it can only happen,if I share what I feel and why.

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

roberoi thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail
You are right please but this is Indian daily soap...drama nahin karenge to 1000 episodes aur kaise poore honge and yeh forum kaise chalega :-)
adi2512 thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail
@ mocking bird.,
I completely agree with all your views.

But yes this is a soap and CV's are trying their best to drag the story...😆

You know what., consciously I feel, A should have completely let go her guilt for not being able to pardon J the monent she got to know that he had left G. This would def., have put A in a positive light.

we do not yet know., A's mind as yet...cannot judge her mindset based on a small precap...

but if indeed she is feeling guilty of not being able to pardon J, that means., she hadnot realised the latest blunder that he has committed.
Though she had listened to the words Shiv had said to her that day...that one cannot make / break any relationship as per their whims and fancies...I feel she didnot understand the depth of same.

That said., we need to wait till tomm., or may be few days ( 😆 )to exactly come to a conclusion on A's psyche right now.

As per me., A should let go of ALL her GUILT and move on w/o any baggage based on this one point...J leaving G.

Even the Singhs - yes., they will have all paternal / maternal feelings towards J...its very natural...BUT they should also realise that the primary responsibility of J is now towards G, with the baby in picture or not.

As per J - I do not really u/stand such big words as REDEMPTION etc., but, if he is truly repenting for his mistakes...let him first correct the last blunder that he has committed.
He cannot just walk off on a relationship he had embraced years ago, with his eyes, ears, mind open as an ADULT.

Many on this forum may not agree with me., but this is what I feel, is the first step to this much analysed word of REDEMPTION.
adi2512 thumbnail
@ mocking bird...

Before the forum members jump on me...as to why J should feel responsible for G, her being so bad / wicked...I will only say, LET J be HALF a man of what Shiv is., and then see, why G cannot be a better person.

A had herself said...A woman doesnot want a mansion to live in but a shade with love and a sense of security...I do not think J had ever given that sort of security to G till now...neither emotional nor financial / nor personal.

Yes., first and foremost...G should not have agreed to marry J but it had to go that way...and it has been done...but G would not have felt that insecurity which had made her commit all the blunders,  HAD J handled the matters differently in a more matured fashion.
lavy thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail
What a beautiful statement MBird. Am so glad you bought this up. I was a divorcee now happily married with 2 kids. I did not have any FBs of my previous marriage during my second marriage..If any I was more composed and in control.

It  is wrong to portray that memories of an EX will haunt us life long. There are so many men who behave like idiots and its shameful to women of domestic and emotional abuse to show that woman will be unable to forget the Jalebi the abusive men got for them once or remember the bed they were first kissed on. BS..If any they will remember the beatings and the bad times.

And Adi, you are totally right. If J was a different person G would have been a different person too. J set the tone of the marriage by lies and deceit. She followed suit.
AryaS thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail
@Mocking bird - I do understand your pov on the psyche of divorced ladies.

But I would like to add here that every individual is different. In this case, Anandi is a Balika Vadhu. And she is still living with Jagiya's family and considers them to be her own. So if anything upsets Singhs, it will upset Anandi too. Just like the way we have seen if anything upsets Anandi, it affects Singhs too. The things are very complex here. As Jagiya is the son of Singhs and that can never be changed. No where have I felt that she still wants to be with Jagiya. She has cleared that when she had a talk with Jagiya after the divorce. But yes Jagiya's current state will affect Singhs and this will make Anandi sad too. So I feel she is praying for Jagiya's safety so that her family can be happy and have peace of mind.

Just like you,  I too have seen my cousin go through a bad divorce and seen her helplessness and fears about her present as well as future. Being a victim of domestic violence, she had to sneak out one day from her house with her infant child. I have seen her face the challenges with tremendous courage and strength that had sometimes amazed me.

She had always said no to a remarriage. But lately, we are happy that she is coming around (after some years of persuasion) and fingers crossed, she may get married very soon. She is close to me so I know what is her psyche right now.  Yes, she is a bit scared...not because she can't forget her ex-husband but she is scared that she is gonna experience all the things/changes a marriage brings in one's life yet again. She is scared whether she has the ability to trust a man completely again. Whether she will do justice to the new man and his family. She is apprehensive about how her son will adjust to this change in their lives. So I feel, it is difficult to analyse a pysche of divorced ladies as every individual is different and react to situations differently.

Having said that, I would like to add that this is just a phase of their lives. And once they remarry, they will be so lost in the new adventures of life that the past will remain just that...PAST.

So Anandi is going through that phase right now. Let us give her some time and I am sure she will cross the bridge with flying colors. 😊
adi2512 thumbnail
Arya, Lavy, @mocking bird.,

Although I cannot comment on the psyche of a divorcee, as I'am not capable to do so...I agree with all of you...I can only say,

To Each their Own...

we'll all be rest assured, that Anandi WILL NOT have FB's of J anymore and she will indeed cross this bridge of fear, apprehensions in flying colors.
Edited by adi2512 - 11 years ago
aparnauma thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail + 4

Sukanya - 

I agree with your views on divorcees finding happiness in their susequent relationships and I am glad that your sister got a second chance at life.
 But here I would like to confine my self to the discussion about Anandi and my perception about her.

Reasons why she finds it difficult to embrace future.

One she is scared - once bitten twice shy.
Here she gave all that she had towards her relationship with Jagya and yet it was not enough for him.He left her for someone and he just did not leave her he was downright cruel and insulting towards her in his bid to justify his leaving her.
That shattered her self esteem.There is no one to tell her that she is no less a woman just because her husband left her.Sure she had her parents and in laws standing by her but that's not the same.She lives in a closed space completely cosseted by the people who love her and care for her.
She has not had many interactions with people of her age to tell her that she she is no different from the rest of them.If at all she has come in contact with girls of her age they are all from Jaitsar they are child brides like Lal Singh's wife who is happily married or Phooli who is a child widow.She doesn't know any other way of life.The only window she has to the outside world probably is the internet.
Even her education she completed through correspondence course.I so wished at that time that Bhairon would insist that she go to college in Jaipur.But sadly it did not happen.So she ended up never moving out of Jaitser.
She just does not know that she deserves better because of two things one-her low self esteem two -that  she does not know that all men are not like Jagya.
The only successful relationships she has seen from close quarters are all the products of bal vivah.It is only her bal vivah that has gone wrong.So she thinks it is her fault that  her marriage has gone wrong because she was not educated and her inability to be a successful partner to J who is an educated man.
And to be honest A and J relationship had a lot of love and genuinenesses in it while it lasted.So she just finds it difficult to believe that a relationship which had so much love in it could fail what guarantee is there that it will work the second time?Why should she get into a relationship at all.She was very right in not wanting to get into a relationship.

But Dadisa in her bid to do the right thing by her she forced her and blackmailed her into this relationship with Shiv because she knew that Shiv is the right man for her.This probably is also another reason for her resistance towards Shiv. But that resistance is melting away as you can see.When she was upset with herself for her inability to forgive J and wanted some reassurance she turned to Shiv .He soothed her.As for her crying on seeing J in that video need not be because of her feelings for J.It could be that she is upset that a lot must have happened and nobody told her about it.What Anandi does when she is upset for whatever reason is cry and then she goes onto sort out her problem.

Anandi - Jagya relationship - This was formed when they did not even know the meaning of relationship.Child marriage just put them together at the same place at the same time.They were conditioned to accept that relationship.But love is something that cannot be conditioned.They loved each other very much the main contribution to that relationship came from A and J acknowledging it and reciprocating accordingly. 
Is this love for each other is enough to sustain a man woman relationship between them ?
Apparently not because once Jagya has realised that his life is going to be very different from  the time he reached Mumbai chose himself a woman who he thought would be more suitable for him.It is just that Anandi has not yet realised that the love she has for Jagya is not enough to sustain relationship.She has not realised that the while the feelings she has for him very real but she does not love him as a woman loves a man. 
These two were conditioned to accept  each other as husband and wife from very small age and that is almost 3/4 of their life.So it is a very long relationship from their perspective.

It is not just Anandi who is having trouble.Jagya is also having the same problem.
Mainly because of the guilt for the way he handled/mishandled his relationship with A.
Also because of his inability to let go of A which led to insecurity in G and unleashed the demon in her.

The reason why both of them having trouble with handling adult relationships with their partners is because the child marriage muddled their perceptions about relationship between man and woman.This is what they are trying to show in the current track.
While A has the support of S J has no support in dealing with this aspect.

The A and J encounters are needed to bring closure to a relationship so that they can move on.

Anandi - Shiv
Anandi on the surface a very confident and capable woman who fights for other people who can not fight their battles or who cannot stand up for themselves.
But she is somebody who actually not actually fight for herself and she herself in those people who cannot fight for themselves so she fights for them
She is also a woman with  low self esteem and still cannot believe that someone so perfect like Shiv can fall for her.
She is also confused woman with regards to her feelings for her past.The day she realises that her feelings for J were not equivalent to a wife feels fr her husband she will let go of her past.
At this moment she does not even love herself so it is too much to expect her to fall in love.
Most importantly her the day she realises that Shiv indeed is the mirror image of her she will fall  in love with Shiv.And I am waiting for the day when she sees Shiv's image in that mirror instead of hers.

What I am trying to say 

Anandi has excess baggage not in the form of her love for Jagya and her wanting to cling on to him but her low self esteem thanks to J  and fear of same thing happening again which is making it difficult for her to accept Shiv

Shiv is the first man she met after the breakdown of her marriage.when she met him she was not in a mood to get into a relationship So that's why she is a bit reluctant and I think that's the way it should be.Take one step at a time.She is accepting him slowly taking her time. Meanwhile let the Mr Magnificent work in that direction.

CM -  I don't even want to talk about her.She can live behind the closed doors of her dungeon with her closed mind for company for all that I care.
gun_k thumbnail

Wonderful post mocking bird and Lavy: am a divorcee who is happily remarried with a kid and a wonderful second husband and i can tell you that even for me the bad memories and  mental torture easily eclipsed any good times that may have happened in the first marriage. I was so much happier the second time around and didnt have any FB's of any sort and I think that CV's really are doing injustice by saying such things that a divorcee cant forget the first husband and memories of that marriage easily as it sends the wrong message to society. To undergo so much torture and to remember only the good times in FB  is not humanly possible however kind hearted a person maybe. Many a times I disagree with CV's when they portray Anandi thinking of Jagya in fb's  and make sweeping statements about divorcees, they do dissiervice to society by showing such things. The dynamics change a bit when children are involved and then its even worse as children also get scarred by witnessing cruelty and acrimony between parents and a woman thinks more about remarriage as she also needs to put her children first.

smeenakshi76 thumbnail
I m also a divorcee and i dont rememebr his shakal now.