Iss Pyaar Ko Kya Naam Doon

Is Arnav capable of loyalty? - Page 2

jasmine_anih thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
Posted: 12 years ago
I think Arnav's character is drawn as a successful guy who gets an enormous amount of attention from women.  Because ofthe amount of attention he gets, he questions the intention of women in general.  His business is his main motivation.  Women can come and go for him because he does not define himself by the woman on his arm.  He is looking for someone who gets him (his commitment to work), he does not care about her past or where she is from.  She just cannot be after his money.  He is not a rake - he can commit.

A guy with a wondering eye and there are these guys who place their self esteem on who is on their arm cannot commit.  

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

CDlove thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 8
In the show itself I believe Arnav didn't have any physical relations with Lavanya after Kushi entered his life (well that's what I would like to think anyway). La tried to fling herself on him several times but Arnav was too pre-occupied with Kushi to take much notice of her. So I would say Arnav in this case did show Loyalty to Kushi by not giving into his premitive needs and refusing to do ๐Ÿ˜‰Lavanaya when she herself offered.

But from a realistic perspective would the real life Arnavs be the same? I don't know. It all depends on the person and what kind of relationship he has with his partner. Honestly I don't know much about men to comment on this.
All rakes wouldn't cheat but that doesn't guarantee that these men wouldn't stray either. It doesn't guarantee that any man won't stray. As I said earlier, it would depend on the man and his morals. If you are lucky, you will find that man who will be loyal to you all throughout your life.
Im going to quote Jane Austen and say,
"Happiness in a marriage is entirely a matter of chance" (yeah I have a very pessimistic outlook on relationships of men-women right now).
serialjunkie thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 5
This content was originally posted by: CDlove

"Happiness in a marriage is entirely a matter of chance" (yeah I have a very pessimistic outlook on relationships of men-women right now).

๐Ÿ˜ฒ - I hope not owing to this serial!! Cheer up hiru, there are good men out there if you wish to look carefully. They dont necessarily come with stubble, gel and 6-pack abs, but they will make you feel like a queen.
Marybarton thumbnail
This content was originally posted by: serialjunkie

First Congratulations Mary on the 2000th post!

When I was of date-able age, my mom told me something that I find very profound in retrospect. Make sure he loves you more than you can ever love him. Make sure you are the better looking one of the two.

They sound such cliches but I find these eternal truths have helped me find a guy who is faithful and loving. He never was and will never be a rake. I might stray but he is my pillar, he will never. That is the kind of faith and trust I have in him, I trust him more than I can trust myself. Now that is saying something.

Men can reform and how we would all like to be that special woman in a man's life you reforms him with the strength of her love and beauty. Reality - its going to be a tough, heart-breaking, painful and full of drama road. How much of your youth and energy do you want to spend on reforming a guy rather than enjoying things you love to do with a guy who is already on the right track?

If a hot-shot with a string of flings and past broken relationships does not flag a red alert in your mind, then you can rest assure sooner than later you will get a taste of it yourself. This is just reality.

Mills and Boons and All the romance novel genres will have you believe that a rakish guy can be reformed by an extremely innocent, loving and fiesty wife. I say maybe, temporarily. But once you've tasted variety, one is never enough. Sharing this from my experience that was a very close encounter.

I cannot agree more on the trust and faith idea. M&B does not focus on post marriage but when you are young, innocent and fiesty this experienced man may find you (and vice versa) might find you appealing. But what happens when you are young and innocent no more just after a few years with him? If he has the appeal, he might go for another young one. That is what my skepticism tells me.

I personally don't see myself reforming someone. But one concern would be where to draw the line. While a rake with a series of non-committed relationships or even encounters certainly is one thing. Someone who has have many committed relationship makes me equally wary. If he came out of emotional commitments before, he could with me too. Skepticism is a really hard thing.

Your mom's advice is very practical and rings true. It also makes a little sad somehow. The part about going for someone less good looking. What if I am not attracted? ๐Ÿ˜‰
On a serious note, if you are talking personal preferences though, yes loyalty any day. Maybe I can trick him into thinking I am the better looking one lol. 
Marybarton thumbnail
This content was originally posted by: jasmine_anih

I think Arnav's character is drawn as a successful guy who gets an enormous amount of attention from women.  Because ofthe amount of attention he gets, he questions the intention of women in general.  His business is his main motivation.  Women can come and go for him because he does not define himself by the woman on his arm.  He is looking for someone who gets him (his commitment to work), he does not care about her past or where she is from.  She just cannot be after his money.  He is not a rake - he can commit.

A guy with a wondering eye and there are these guys who place their self esteem on who is on their arm cannot commit.  

I can see the women flinging themselves on him (for example that awful model) but I didn't see him respond which made me rationalize that he is not as much into even casual relationships. He tried to set up a deal kind of relationship with La which showed his inexperience in dealing with relationships to me. But that is my reading. I do think he was involved with La physically though, just not after he met Khushi. All that makes him, not a rake, in my book.
Badtameeez thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail + 4
This content was originally posted by: Marybarton

I tend to like the alpha males who for the most part also (unfortunately) tend to be rakes. I find myself siding with your opinion. Trust does not come easily, especially if I know that person's background is based on non-commitment.

Alpha males do tend to be rakes because they are just too over confident in themselves. I have seen it myself... I sometimes wish that, 'that' one girl would teach them a lesson that they'd never forget! Not trying to sound like an ass but like really, they just think too high of themselves! I sometimes just feel like going straight up to their face and say, "you can go shove yourself" ๐Ÿ˜†
To trust these type of guys are next to impossible but they do know their way of talking to girls and gaining their trust! And you start to like them despite knowing the fact it aint gonna last, or in a fear! =/

Except for his anger issues, I think Arnav is actually a good guy ๐Ÿ˜ณ
CDlove thumbnail

First Congratulations Mary on the 2000th post!

When I was of date-able age, my mom told me something that I find very profound in retrospect. Make sure he loves you more than you can ever love him. Make sure you are the better looking one of the two.

They sound such cliches but I find these eternal truths have helped me find a guy who is faithful and loving. He never was and will never be a rake. I might stray but he is my pillar, he will never. That is the kind of faith and trust I have in him, I trust him more than I can trust myself. Now that is saying something.

Men can reform and how we would all like to be that special woman in a man's life you reforms him with the strength of her love and beauty. Reality - its going to be a tough, heart-breaking, painful and full of drama road. How much of your youth and energy do you want to spend on reforming a guy rather than enjoying things you love to do with a guy who is already on the right track?

If a hot-shot with a string of flings and past broken relationships does not flag a red alert in your mind, then you can rest assure sooner than later you will get a taste of it yourself. This is just reality.

Mills and Boons and All the romance novel genres will have you believe that a rakish guy can be reformed by an extremely innocent, loving and fiesty wife. I say maybe, temporarily. But once you've tasted variety, one is never enough. Sharing this from my experience that was a very close encounter.

Woah! I must say this is very sound advice. And about reforming a guy like Arnav...yeah I have misgivings on that too. Too much time and energy would be wasted in the process and there would always be that trust factor sticking up like a sore thumb.
I personally would run far away from a man like Arnav. But then thats my opinion. Doesn't mean people like Arnav is not capable of being in a loyal relationship or should be condemned to a life of lonliness because he has 'baggage' along with him.
But I wouldn't want to take the risk.
serialjunkie thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 5
This content was originally posted by: Marybarton

Your mom's advice is very practical and rings true. It also makes a little sad somehow. The part about going for someone less good looking. What if I am not attracted? ๐Ÿ˜‰
On a serious note, if you are talking personal preferences though, yes loyalty any day. Maybe I can trick him into thinking I am the better looking one lol. 

yeah, you should be attracted to the guy, definitely. What she meant was don't fall for first looks and think you will make it work because the guy is so good looking. Look for other qualities, put looks for last. Yes, you cannot be with someone whom you find physically repulsive, but sometimes you tend to ignore really sweet guys because they are not jockeys or physically primed. Sweet guys come in all shapes and some of them look good too, girls just need to look beyond the obvious physical attributes.
Marybarton thumbnail
This content was originally posted by: CDlove

In the show itself I believe Arnav didn't have any physical relations with Lavanya after Kushi entered his life (well that's what I would like to think anyway). La tried to fling herself on him several times but Arnav was too pre-occupied with Kushi to take much notice of her. So I would say Arnav in this case did show Loyalty to Kushi by not giving into his premitive needs and refusing to do ๐Ÿ˜‰Lavanaya when she herself offered.

But from a realistic perspective would the real life Arnavs be the same? I don't know. It all depends on the person and what kind of relationship he has with his partner. Honestly I don't know much about men to comment on this.
All rakes wouldn't cheat but that doesn't guarantee that these men wouldn't stray either. It doesn't guarantee that any man won't stray. As I said earlier, it would depend on the man and his morals. If you are lucky, you will find that man who will be loyal to you all throughout your life.

Anyone you quotes Jane Austen is right in my book ๐Ÿ˜ƒ

I agree, Arnav was not with La from the moment he fell for Khushi.

Trust is the last word here I think. Rake or no, loyalty is based on faith. This line gets increasingly blurred when morality comes in. How one sees morality can be so different from another. For a Khushi it is no relationships and lifetime commitment, for Arnav is it physical relationships but commitment after marriage. 

CDlove thumbnail

๐Ÿ˜ฒ - I hope not owing to this serial!! Cheer up hiru, there are good men out there if you wish to look carefully. They dont necessarily come with stubble, gel and 6-pack abs, but they will make you feel like a queen.

I hope you are right Smriti. No not (exactly)because of the show. But I have also seen and heard things that's scarred me for life. I sometimes think being single is much better and easier to cope with.