Users

Frequent Posters

Guddu.Pandit thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 8 Thumbnail + 5
Posted: 12 years ago
Rajasthan First Day HOUSEFULL 2 Fifth Highest Ever

Friday 6th April 2012 23.30 IST

Boxofficeindia.Com Trade Network

Housefull 2 collected 79 lakhs nett approx on its first day in Rajasthan which is fifth highest number ever in circuit. The film lost around 8-10 lakhs nett business due to Rajasthan Royals playing their first match with late evening shows hit. The top all time first day collections in Rajasthan are as follows.

1. Agneepath - 1.20 crore

2. Bodyguard - 1.17 crore

3. Don 2 - 85 lakhs

4. Dabangg - 80 lakhs

5. Housefull 2 - 79 lakhs

http://www.boxofficeindia.com/boxnewsdetail.php?page=shownews&articleid=4250&nCat=

Ailia90 thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail

REVIEW 128: HOUSEFULL 2

Release date:
April 6, 2012
Director:
Sajid Khan
Cast:
Akshay Kumar, John Abraham, Riteish Deshmukh, Shreyas Talpade, Rishi Kapoor, Randhir Kapoor, Asin, Mithun Chakraborty, Jacqueline Fernandez, Zarine Khan, Boman Irani, Johnny Lever, Malaika Arora Khan, Shazahn Padamsee

I can deal with Salman Khan urinating on a haystack in Anees Bazmee's Ready. I can even take the farting ape of Bazmee's No Problem. I can forgive the now predictable scenario that unfolds at the end of pretty much every Priyadarshan comedy, with the film's entire cast congregating at one place and chasing each other in circles. But nothing, absolutely nothing, is an excuse for The Great Bollywood Rape Joke.
It was the last straw for me in Housefull 2. It came in a scene in which Sunny (Akshay Kumar) visits his father in the film. Dad is played by Ranjeet, villain of yesteryears. In an allusion to the numerous rape scenes the actor has shot through his career, the name plate behind him reads, "Dr Ranjeet V. Asna K. Pujari". Get it? Vasna ke pujari? Devotee of lust? Yawn. That's supposed to be his name. And below that comes the word "therapist", except that the letter "e" has got partially unhinged from the board, so that it reads, "the rapist".

When will Bollywood stop treating rape as a source of amusement? Sickening!
It can't possibly get lower than this, I thought. But I was wrong. Towards the end of the film, when Sunny visits Dad again to introduce him to his bahu (Asin), the old man does not realise that the pretty girl before him is his daughter-in-law. So he leers and approaches her while gradually unbuttoning his clothes and lasciviously chanting the word, "beauty … beauty … beauty," with every step he takes. Stop! Dad, she's your bahu, says the son. Creepy Dad halts in his tracks, starts buttoning up again and retraces his steps, while still ogling her and now chanting, "Betibetibeti …"

Ugh! Yikes! Ewww!
How Asin – Bollywood newcomer but star of southern Indian cinema – could have subjected herself to such a scene is beyond me. So I'll say it again: I have no problem with the crocodile in Housefull 2 biting the bottom of Jolly (Riteish Deshmukh). I can close my eyes to the scene in which a python clings to the penis of Jai (Shreyas Talpade). I can even survive all those shots of lecherous Sunny's tongue marginally lolling out. But I draw the line at rape!

Let me be very clear about this: I actually do enjoy the occasional mindless comedy and I realise that slapstick humour is often politically incorrect by nature. Despite its rampant sexism, I still laughed through No Entry. In spite of its overt homophobia and crudeness, Kya Kool Hai Hum cracked me up. Welcome was silly but hilarious. The Golmaal series maybe juvenile but I actually had fun with Golmaal 2&3. Though most critics in this country ripped Housefull to bits, I didn't mind it too much. And what the heck, I found DesiBoyz and parts of F.A.L.T.U. funny. But there is a difference between being cheeky and being distasteful, between being politically incorrect and downright insensitive. And I suspect even diehard devotees of brainlessness would agree with me that when a film maker repeats his own successful formula, it can get boring.
And so, if in Housefull Sajid Khan gave us two men trying to deceive one father and one brother in collusion with two pretty women, he takes the "2" in Housefull 2 rather literally, giving us four men trying to deceive four fathers in collusion with four pretty women whose primary job is to look smashing in skimpy outfits. If in Housefull we were given the song Papa jag jaayega, here in Housefull 2 we get Papa toh band bajaye and Right now. Most of the dialogues involve rhyming words such as Sunny saying, "Langurs, have my angoors." No you dirty people, it's not what you are thinking, he's actually offering grapes – the fruit – to guests!

The formulaic repetitiveness of the plot and dialogues are quite tragic because on a good day, Akshay, Asin, Riteish and Shreyas can be killer comics, and it was nice to see how John had evolved from being Akshay's sidekick in Garam Masala to standing shoulder-to-shoulder with Akki in Desi Boyz. Besides, there's some serious … uh … erm … chemistry between Akshay and John here. And the dj vu notwithstanding, the songs are catchy, visually attractive and well choreographed. Despite everything I've said before this, I'll concede too that there are some genuinely entertaining scenes here and there in the film (especially the ones involving Rishi Kapoor and a wisecrack offered by Johnny Lever about a man, his pregnant mother, his gullible father and their driver). But these scenes are few and far between, there are too many intermittent slow patches and there's too much that's a reminder of Housefull in Housefull 2.

But congratulations all the same, Sajid Khan! In Aakhree Pasta (Chunkey Pandey) you have managed to create one of the most irritating characters I've seen in a Bollywood comedy. As for you, Shreyas Talpade, having seen you in Nagesh Kukunoor's splendidly sensitive Iqbal and witnessed your comic abilities in Om Shanti Om, it hurts to watch this film..
Rating (out of Five)  **
-Anjaani- thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Visit Streak 90 0 Thumbnail + 3
Sorry for going off topic, who is the girl with sallu in you avi Radhe?
DB_reloaded thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 8 Thumbnail + 5
taran adarsh ? @taran_adarsh
  •  Retweet 
  •  Favorite 
  •  Open

Update: Evening shows were hit due to the IPL match between Rajasthan Royals and Kings XI Punjab.

Debo_Afghan thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail + 2
As far Rajeev's review, it was very bad. So don't know which review to believe. 
DheeJattanDi thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 6
Jess I am not sure when I'll see it.. I barely get the time to watch movies these days :(
IHeartDeepika thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
Just saw the film, since I found Housefull actually funny, I thought this would be too. But really...whata  circus and mess this film was! I didn't find it funny, it kept dragging on with the same joke. Good if the film is a hit though...Akshay needs one so hope he gets it :) Edited by IHeartDeepika - 12 years ago
-Anjaani- thumbnail

Masand: 'Housefull 2' is for four-year-olds

inShare

Cast: Akshay Kumar, John Abraham, Ritesh Deshmukh, Shreyas Talpade, Rishi Kapoor, Randhir Kapoor, Mithun Chakraborty, Boman Irani, Chunky Pandey, Johnny Lever, Asin, Jacqueline Fernandes, Zarine Khan, Shahzahn Padamsee, Ranjeet

Director: Sajid Khan

It's ironic that the funniest joke in Housefull 2 should appear after the film has ended. In the outtakes during the closing credits sequence (if you're brave enough to still be watching!), Akshay Kumar brings Asin to meet his father, a sleazy shrink named Dr Ranjeet Vasna K Pujari, played by yesteryears villain Ranjeet. Inching towards the girl, unbuttoning his satin black shirt, the leering senior mutters salaciously: "Baby, baby, baby!" When informed by Akshay that she's the soon-to-be wife of his son, he instantly retraces his steps, buttoning up again, now muttering "Beti, beti, beti!"

Housefull 2, directed by Sajid Khan, is 'bigger' than the last film, but not necessarily better. To be fair, you can't use words like 'better' or 'funnier' to compare these films; and asking me which one I preferred out of Housefull and Housefull 2 is like asking me what I'd rather have between a migraine and a hernia. Thank you, but I'll pass.

This lazy sequel recycles the same pedestrian humor we were served the last time round, although the canvas has evidently increased. Rishi Kapoor and Randhir Kapoor are bickering half-brothers Chintu and Dabboo, who're both seeking a rich groom for their respective daughters, played by Asin and Jacqueline Fernandez, who are named what-else-but Heena and Bobby! Ritesh Deshmukh is Jolly, the petrified son of his dacoit-turned-millionaire father JD, played by Mithun Chakraborty; and Akshay Kumar, John Abraham and Shreyas Talpade are his buddies, each of whom must assume the identity of Jolly at some point during this mindless film.

Akshay is paired opposite Asin, John opposite Jacqueline, Shreyas opposite Shahzahn Padamsee, and Ritesh opposite Zarine Khan. Before the end of this film, every single one of these characters – and a handful more – lands up at the sprawling home of JD for matters involving marriage.

Director Sajid Khan's gags have no lofty aspirations, they only want a laugh out of you – never mind if your laughter is forced or unintentional. In one scene, an alligator repeatedly snaps at Ritesh's bum, and a python attaches itself to Shreyas' crotch. An equal opportunity offender, Khan directs tasteless jokes at everyone from gays and midgets, to the physically handicapped and the dark-skinned. But the problem isn't that the jokes are rude. They're infantile and unoriginal, and Rohit Shetty's Golmaal films do them better.

Comedy is all about timing, and save for Ritesh Deshmukh who is genuinely funny in many scenes, and Akshay Kumar who gets a few moments to shine, the cast of Housefull 2 largely disappoints, with John Abraham leading the pack as he fails spectacularly in matching his brawny physicality with a surprisingly effete demeanor. The girls – who between all four of them don't possess a single comic bone – have a permanent deer-caught-in-the-headlights expression, and each time they're on screen together you'll feel you're watching an advertisement for collagen and Botox. Even the usually dependable Rishi Kapoor hams it up like there's no tomorrow, his performance more or less reduced to dishing out corny barbs like: "You son of a slimy pseudopodia!" and "You have piles in your brains!"

Housefull 2 is for four-year-olds who don't know any better. For anyone with taste, or anyone seeking genuine laughs, there's nothing here. I'm going with one out of five for director Sajid Khan's Housefull 2. I'd rather watch reruns of his TV shows instead; they were pure gold compared to this drivel!

Rating: 1 / 5

-Anjaani- thumbnail
Content Removed

1 Comment

more photos

Anupama Chopra

print

wat_up thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail + 4

My Review

The movie was a laugh riot. yes, it can be mindless at times, yet it rocked and the people in the cinema were doing seethiyan and talliyan👏👏 

Akshay hot as usual and his comic timing just brilliant

Asin and him just complemented one another... rocking jodi.👏👏

The  others great as well...

whoot whoot...Akshay tussi ho punjabi de shaan

and songs

right now now, papa ji band bajo, and anarkali disco chali  (sukwinder singh great voice) and sundhi tracks as well--- overall rocking music

do you know on my mobile ring tone--shaan and sherya G rocked the track

Overall--------true entertainer total paissa vashool

now looking on Rowdy Rathore which will be mindblowinggg

👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏
Edited by wat_up - 12 years ago