Iss Pyaar Ko Kya Naam Doon

Fixing the Forum Fiasco's :: IMP NOTE PG 13

Nmyra thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail + 5
Posted: 12 years ago

Hello Everyone,

So, if you are an IF regular you probably know the recent string of events we've had going on. If you haven't allow me to list them and bring you up to date.

Fiasco Number ONE::

A few months ago we had the whole Mature Content Fiasco, in case you don't know about it, check below -

::Mature Content Fiasco::

Trigger:

Banning 'Pandora's Box' by Munchy.

Incident:

Let's see long story short, despite IF Guidelines stating that you must be above 16 years of age to join we apparently have not only teenyboppers but 9 year old forum regulars, which is why mature content as it pertains to the sexual nature has been considered taboo. The writer's who write such have had people go as far as call it 'soft p.o.r.n'.

Result:

Writer's leave IF open new blogs- yet most come back because they miss the forum.

Issue:

I don't know if I speak for any other author, but I personally feel this was an affront against authors not because they shut down a fic, but because they seemed to not care about whether not the authors were staying or leaving.

Fiasco Number TWO::

::Plagiarized Written Content Fiasco::

Trigger:

Ironically you can take names when it's a mature content thing but when you do it for someone who's actually stolen other people's work it's tantamount to bashing.

The irony.

Fine let us refer to our oh-so-original friend as 'X'

Incident:

Once again long story short, despite IF Guidelines stating that you cannot plagiarize, 'X' a prolific author here on IF, decided to not only steal work from fanfictions on other site's, but also did so from A FRIENDS ficlet HERE on IF and of course from a popular Mills and Boons author, all the while claiming it was her own work and that she would refuse to update without 30 pages of comments.

Result:

Writer's are scared to post original work on IF open as no stringent measures seem to have been taken, Writer's also lose the will to post (do not please give me any write because you want to write stuffing please, we all write because we want to write, but it's the encouragement that keeps up writing, that AND the will to tell the story).

Additionally, Reader's are left with a sour taste in their mouth and lose the will to comment to encourage writer's, with the thought ' who next?

Issue:

Well, I believe it's quite obvious. You spend all night writing a chapter and wake up to find it posted by someone else under their name. I believe in legal terms its called copyright infringement and the theft of intellectual property.  (Golly seems law school has it's upsides after all)

And now

Fiasco Number THREE::

::Plagiarized Content Fiasco::

Trigger:

Once again Munchy has had a siggy up for a while now, don't know if you've seen it, I believe within a few days the knockoff siggy was posted to comments and likes galore.

Incident:

Munchy's been very eloquent about it so I'm just going to add her link - https://www.indiaforums.com/forum/topic/2918488

Result:

Siggy Makers are scared to post original work on IF open as no stringent measures seem to have been taken, they also lose the will to post. And no Munchy is not the only one 18Shabbo (and god knows how many others) has also been a victim of this wondrous talent for theft.

Issue:

Once again obvious. Copyright infringement and the theft of intellectual property. 

Now, having updated you all about this new trend to one up other's via stolen work, as well as the other issues I'm sure that are abound, I wonder if it's too much to ask for a conference to be set up where some of the victims, some popular writers, some regular readers and so on could directly interact with IF's head honcho on behalf of the rest of us.

It's the age of technology. Skype anyone?

I believe the issues are legit and need to be addressed and not via a third party. He needs to hear about what is going on directly from the people who are suffering because of it. Not via a third party, who may inadvertently water down the incident or even blow it up.

That said I would like to give major Kudo's to the moderators for this forum as they are wonderfully prompt and very nice to boot. But I still believe this needs to be addressed to a higher authority.

Much Love,

Nmyra

Feel free to comment and add your support/ leave your thoughts on the issue.

*EDITED*

IF DT's in regards to this situation thing - 

I am adding an excerpt - Not adding names in case someone has an issue but Kudos to the DT member who said this- for saying this.

I think you guys should make a post in Suggestions / Comments forum about a solution to Plagiarism.. we shud just get straight to the point and demand for a solution to this since the NO COPY doesnt work.. this doesnt happen with FFs only but sigs/VMs/written updates and posts on the forums being copied else where.. and maybe request the admin to make it a Global Announcement so the whole I-F can join in the discussion. We all should come together and raise our voices there.. it will def. get the attention of the admin.. maybe someone can make a post there regarding it... you guys have my full support since i am against plagiarism too.. I know there's a post abt this on the forum, we might come up with a solution for IPK forum but for I-F, only the admin can since he made the site and the features here.

*EDITED*

Petition Thread - https://www.indiaforums.com/forum/topic/2920210

Please go sign if you want toHELP

Additional Threads that may be read in context - 

Harshita's - https://www.indiaforums.com/forum/topic/2916411

Munchy's - https://www.indiaforums.com/forum/topic/2918488

Maxine's- https://india-forums.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=2918622&PID=55397425�

Edited by Nmyra - 12 years ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

...Doctor... thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 7
hey nmyra just check this out..

IF people have gone crazy for munchy's siggie..i guess..😕

I was about to PM her..should I?
Nmyra thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail + 5
Originally posted by: ...Doctor...

hey nmyra just check this out..

IF people have gone crazy for munchy's siggie..i guess..😕

I was about to PM her..should I?

I'm sure she'd appreciate it. At least this person says the credit goes to the creator!
...Doctor... thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 7
Originally posted by: Nmyra

I'm sure she'd appreciate it. At least this person says the credit goes to the creator!

Okay i'll PM her.

Hello Everyone,

So, if you are an IF regular you probably know the recent string of events we've had going on. If you haven't allow me to list them and bring you up to date.

There are a lot of fiasco's going on but you got the main ones!

A few months ago we had the whole Mature Content Fiasco, in case you don't know about it, check below -

Trigger:

Incident:

Let's see long story short, despite IF Guidelines stating that you must be above 16 years of age to join we apparently have not only teenyboppers but 9 year old forum regulars, which is why mature content as it pertains to the sexual nature has been considered taboo. The writer's who write such have had people go as far as call it 'soft p.o.r.n'.

Result:

Writer's leave IF open new blogs- yet most come back because they miss the forum.

Completely agree, that is the main reason I kept on visiting because I missed the members.

Issue:

I don't know if I speak for any other author, but I personally feel this was an affront against authors not because they shut down a fic, but because they seemed to not care about whether not the authors were staying or leaving.

I totally agree with you nami. It seemed like only the readers were bothered about writers leaving, IF said they were going to make sure what stuff you could write in ffs on passion wise but they never went ahead from saying. 

Trigger:

Ironically you can take names when it's a mature content thing but when you do it for someone who's actually stolen other people's work it's tantamount to bashing.

The irony.

Incident:

Once again long story short, despite IF Guidelines stating that you cannot plagiarize, 'X' a prolific author here on IF, decided to not only steal work from fanfictions on other site's, but also did so from A FRIENDS ficlet HERE on IF and of course from a popular Mills and Boons author, all the while claiming it was her own work and that she would refuse to update without 30 pages of comments.

Result:

Writer's are scared to post original work on IF open as no stringent measures seem to have been taken, Writer's also lose the will to post (do not please give me any write because you want to write stuffing please, we all write because we want to write, but it's the encouragement that keeps up writing, that AND the will to tell the story).

Additionally, Reader's are left with a sour taste in their mouth and lose the will to comment to encourage writer's, with the thought ' who next?

Yes the whole mature content fiasco was taken way out of order. Thread were being made, Writers were being warned and Pmed. And plagiarism was happening right under their noses but what action is really being taken apart from the threads closing?

Issue:

Well, I believe it's quite obvious. You spend all night writing a chapter and wake up to find it posted by someone else under their name. I believe in legal terms its called copyright infringement and the theft of intellectual property.  (Golly seems law school has it's upsides after all)

Yes I agree. If that happened to me I would be put of posting in forums for a very long time scared if it occurred again.

And now

Trigger:

Once again Munchy has had a siggy up for a while now, don't know if you've seen it, I believe within a few days the knockoff siggy was posted to comments and likes galore.

Incident:

Munchy's been very eloquent about it so I'm just going to add her link -https://www.indiaforums.com/forum/topic/2918488

Result:

Siggy Makers are scared to post original work on IF open as no stringent measures seem to have been taken, they also lose the will to post. And no Munchy is not the only one 18Shabbo (and god knows how many others) has also been a victim of this wondrous talent for theft.

Issue:

Once again obvious. Copyright infringement and the theft of intellectual property. 

Yes I saw that. I mean I love her siggy. Like she said they could of asked her if they could use it. Why copy someone else's idea? Why take credit when it is not yours to begin with?. Don't they feel guilty at all?

Now, having updated you all about this new trend to one up other's via stolen work, as well as the other issues I'm sure that are abound, I wonder if it's too much to ask for a conference to be set up where some of the victims, some popular writers, some regular readers and so on could directly interact with IF's head honcho on behalf of the rest of us.

Yup completely agree, we should have a conference only then will this be sorted out. I mean then the writers could talk about their fears and what IF could do about eliminating them!

I believe the issues are legit and need to be addressed and not via a third party. He needs to hear about what is going on directly from the people who are suffering because of it. Not via a third party, who may inadvertently water down the incident or even blow it up.

That said I would like to give major Kudo's to the moderators for this forum as they are wonderfully prompt and very nice to boot. But I still believe this needs to be addressed to a higher authority.

Much Love,

Nmyra

Edited by -Chinnu- - 12 years ago
Addie07 thumbnail
Nmyra just give links to the posts regarding plagiarism...harshu's munchy's maxine's..
Guys our mod has been doing everything in her power to support us.. Please do not blame the moderators of the forum...
btw amazing post...

debby_11 thumbnail
i do agree to this post as seriously plagiarism has increased so much...pictures ffs n anything...people just need attention without any hardwork they are getting so...and the one's who dont know about this plagiarized things are praising their ffs..as how much talented they are(i m a victim of this thing and i felt disgusted and disappointed by this )...higher authority actually should look after this... Edited by choco_pie92 - 12 years ago
Thanx or the support in the issues Nymra. I know your a writer so you can sympathise just how much work goes in to an update. I just find this so weird! And yes lets skype and discuss this to death with the head honcho because the MODs, bless them, can only do as mch.
AngelTeen thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 8

Hello Everyone,

Trigger:

Incident:

Result:

Issue:

I wasnt here on this forum or actually active on IF when this happened, but I have two questions to the IF authorities -

1. If the legal age for joining IF is 16, then what are younger members doing here? Why arent they being regularized instead of the authors?

2. And if they are 16, let us let them be. Regulating/Parenting them is not our job. It is the internet age, if they dont want to abide by the rules, they wont. Get over it.

Also, the writers being banned just shows disrespect for creativity and talent. And not to mention the fact that they are making IF more popular and active...so banning them because of members who are under 16 (and are hence not even supposed to be here) is the height of ungratefulness and not to mention appallingly stupid.

Trigger:

The irony.

Incident:

Result:

Issue:

As a writer here, I always knew that putting up my work on the internet is not without risk but I still went ahead because of a basic trust and well chance. However, the fact that this site does absolutely nothing concrete against stealers and IPR (Intellectual property right) offenders makes it very difficult for me to post my stuff here and to not view many of my new readers with suspicion because quite honestly I have no idea if they are MIDs or not.

Again, the issue of respecting writers and talent and being grateful for their contribution to IF comes up here and this should be taken into consideration at the earliest.

And now

Trigger:

Incident:

Munchy's been very eloquent about it so I'm just going to add her link - https://www.indiaforums.com/forum/topic/2918488

Result:

Issue:

This was just too much. I posted in that thread about Muffin making a sig like that but no one paid any heed. 

Why isnt creativity, talent being respected and secured here?!

Much Love,

Nmyra

*EDITED*

IF DT's in regards to this situation thing - 

I am adding an excerpt - Not adding names in case someone has an issue but Kudos to the DT member who said this- for saying this.

I think you guys should make a post in Suggestions / Comments forum about a solution to Plagiarism.. we shud just get straight to the point and demand for a solution to this since the NO COPY doesnt work.. this doesnt happen with FFs only but sigs/VMs/written updates and posts on the forums being copied else where.. and maybe request the admin to make it a Global Announcement so the whole I-F can join in the discussion. We all should come together and raise our voices there.. it will def. get the attention of the admin.. maybe someone can make a post there regarding it... you guys have my full support since i am against plagiarism too.. I know there's a post abt this on the forum, we might come up with a solution for IPK forum but for I-F, only the admin can since he made the site and the features here.

This mod rocks! :)

The TM is absolutely right when saying that this topic needs to be discussed directly with the top bosses because quite honestly there are a host of other options available to writers out there which have much more stringent measures against plagiarizing and are also more open about mature content.

asumi thumbnail
every word is true! all issues as real as they can get!

like you said- not a 3rd party but a direct interaction with higher officials should be there.

but same doubt - is there any way we can contact them?

Edited by asumi - 12 years ago