Plagiarism: Is there a solution?

madmaxine thumbnail
Posted: 12 years ago
We have all read about the incidents of plagiarism that have plagued IF recently. Not content with copying written works, apparently people also now steal works of art like siggies. Enough outrage has been expressed over this. This post is not for that purpose. It is to ask if people have any constructive solutions to tackle this problem? 

It seems to me that obviously a simple imposition of an honor code (duh..what's that!) is useless. Can this website do anything to safeguard the interests of their members who spend time and effort into their works? I don't know enough about computers to judge if they can. I do know that the 'No Copy' code doesn't work. I tried yesterday and I was able to copy and paste. Universities use elaborate software tools to make sure assignments aren't lifted. I don't know if something of the kind is feasible here. Other, more well-organized websites have staff dedicated to tracking FFs and making sure they are not plagiarized in any way. Again, I don't know if this feasible here. I am just throwing what I know is out there. If you know more about computers...please suggest what can be done. 

Ultimately, it seems to me that the onus is likely to be on the writers/artists to protect their works. Which means moving away from a public platform such as this to a blog where only invitees might read. Now, this is a lose-lose situation for everyone. People don't get to read and enjoy the creativity they would otherwise freely be able to do so. And the writers/artists don't reach the wide audience they want to. And obviously, the website loses, when people move away from it. (Not that that is any concern of mine..but it should concern them!) 

So, can this be avoided? If you have an idea, please suggest. I for one would hate to see my friends move away from IF. 

Best
Vidhya

PS: I am in academia. No one understands plagiarism and its consequences better than I. I have seen what happens first hand when people do it. It's not pretty. People have gotten kicked out of school, lost their jobs, and even been jailed over plagiarism. If you have ever copy pasted something without giving due credit, I suggest you think twice the next time you do it. Maybe you'll get away with it here, because of the anonymity you are almost certainly guaranteed. In real life..you'll get caught. And you'll get hammered and humiliated. So, yeah free advice from Maxine. DON'T DO IT! 

Edited by madmaxine - 12 years ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

rima thumbnail
I am a professional writer and have been in the industry for close to 12 years. I have worked in many writing fields and plagarism is rampant everywhere even when people know that their job and their company is at stake. We are talking about FFs here when there is no one to sue them. I highly doubt people are going to stop plagarism in FF when most don't even care when there is a legal angle involved. Believe me this is the voice of expeience speaking. I caught a team membr and warned her. But she did it again!
Jayne thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 3
Posting views/pics etc. as PDF might work.
Don't know how the IF will allow that, though... will have to ask moderators or IT people of IF.

Also, perhaps the same format as those used for e-books, etc.? Something similar to PDF? it makes it impossible to even print it out. The only solution is to type it out word for word - sans pictures - and copiers and plagiarists do not have the patience for that.

Jayne
P.S. PDF is the easiest.

I wish there were those educational videos where people were told that if they jack off too much or masturbate their eyeballs will burn and their hands will spout hair. That aught to keep these people in check... o wait we masturbate anyway!!

I'm just going to smut up the forum so the sex juices flowing will wake the MODs up to what is happening in their pristine forum!
savvy05 thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail Fascinator 1 Thumbnail
I read that this was happening in the Redux thread and now with Munchy's post. It is really sad and unfortunately no moral conduct here by the posters who copied. Vidhya coming from a software background,  let me tell you there are software's which prevent it (at additional cost to the website) but none of them are fool proof. The world wide web has made it possible to copy/download from any online page in so many different ways.
One suggestion I would offer is watermark your siggy's and posts if possible. That way the person who is copying would have to take the extra effort to remove your water marks.
As you said, it is a lose-lose situation if this persists.
Edited by savvy05 - 12 years ago
madmaxine thumbnail

Originally posted by: rima

I am a professional writer and have been in the industry for close to 12 years. I have worked in many writing fields and plagarism is rampant everywhere even when people know that their job and their company is at stake. We are talking about FFs here when there is no one to sue them. I highly doubt people are going to stop plagarism in FF when most don't even care when there is a legal angle involved. Believe me this is the voice of expeience speaking. I caught a team membr and warned her. But she did it again!

So, yeah..that is my impression too. That it's pretty much a lost cause. But I wanted to see if there IS a solution available. 
madmaxine thumbnail

Originally posted by: Jayne

Posting views/pics etc. as PDF might work.
Don't know how the IF will allow that, though... will have to ask moderators or IT people of IF.

Also, perhaps the same format as those used for e-books, etc.? Something similar to PDF? it makes it impossible to even print it out. The only solution is to type it out word for word - sans pictures - and copiers and plagiarists do not have the patience for that.

Jayne
P.S. PDF is the easiest.

Thanks for the suggestions...they sound reasonable to me. I hope the powers-that-be are reading. 
-JollyJabeen- thumbnail
Totally agree with your post.

Plagerism is just wrong end off.

There can be no justification for plagerism and its a horrible thing to do.

I think this post should also be created in the Fanfiction forum aswell! : )
madmaxine thumbnail

Originally posted by: minimuffin86

I wish there were those educational videos where people were told that if they jack off too much or masturbate their eyeballs will burn and their hands will spout hair. That aught to keep these people in check... o wait we masturbate anyway!!

I'm just going to smut up the forum so the sex juices flowing will wake the MODs up to what is happening in their pristine forum!

Go for it! 
madmaxine thumbnail

Originally posted by: savvy05

I read that this was happening in the Redux thread and now with Munchy's post. It is really sad and unfortunately no moral conduct here by the posters who copied. Vidhya coming from a software background,  let me tell you there are software's which prevent it (at additional cost to the website) but none of them are fool proof. The world wide web has made it possible to copy/download from any online page in so many different ways.
One suggestion I would offer is watermark your siggy's and posts if possible. That way the person who is copying would have to take the extra effort to remove your water marks.
As you said, it is a lose-lose situation if this persists.

I like the watermark idea. It should be easy enough to do. And it does create additional work for the 'plagiarizer'. Thanks for the input.