madmaxine thumbnail
Posted: 12 years ago

Tried my hand at writing a different style today. Slightly skeptical about it now that its finished. You can tell me what you think. Criticism more than welcome. 

RATED: G ( My 9 year old niece could read this. No joke).

An IPKKND fable

Once upon a time, in a land far, far away there lived a beautiful girl named Mushy. Mushy was named for her soft heart that went dhak-dhak for all things romantic. Especially a certain dark prince named Ruff-ruff. Now Ruff-ruff was so named because he was just like a big, scary Alsatian. His bark was worse than his bite. And he was loyal to his people. Also, he had a scar running across his face, from his left cheek to his eyebrow, giving him a raffish, faintly pirate-like look. The scar had come from a duel he had fought and lost when very young. It still hurt when he ran his fingers over it lightly, while lying under the stars on lonely nights. But he kept touching it every day, to remind him of dark days that were long gone.

Ruff ruff lived in the past. And for that reason, he didn't let anyone close. Because all his happy memories were in the past. And they were all gone now. Everyone hated Ruff-ruff because he was so scary and aloof. What they didn't know was that behind all his bravado and valor, Ruff-ruff hid a weak heart. His heart didn't just go dhak-dhak. Oh, no. It practically stopped beating when it was touched. Nobody knew of Ruff ruff's weak heart except a cherry blossom tree that his mother had planted when he was very, very young. His mother had died, but she had left the tree behind to watch over Ruff ruff. And so it did. He grew up playing marbles in the shade of the tree. None of the other boys would play with him, so he played by himself. And in the spring, the cherry blossoms would flower and he would sit underneath the tree and let the petals fall over him. He would lie in a carpet of pink petals, inhaling their sweet scent, letting the softness envelop him and feel as if he was lying in his mother's lap. Ruff ruff loved that tree. For the longest time, it was the only thing he loved. And it was the only thing he could love. For loving made his heart stop. Ruff ruff had to protect him self. And so he didn't love.

Mushy was as unlike Ruff ruff as fairies from trolls. She was girly and giggly. She went through life merrily. Everyday was a gift. Every gift a pleasant surprise. Everything made her happy. She brought love and laughter where ever she went. And nobody knew this. But Mushy had a past too. She was an orphan. She lived by herself in a little house by a waterfall. She loved the gurgling sound of the water. It made her feel peaceful. She slept at night lulled by that comforting noise. And sometimes, during the summers, when the waterfall dried up due to lack of rain, Mushy didn't sleep all night. She felt like her heart had shriveled up and dried too. And on those nights, she lay awake, trembling, sweating, afraid. Come morning, she would be playing happily with her friends, stringing beads together to make pretty necklaces, or making flower garlands that nobody needed or wore but herself. She bedecked herself with daisy garlands one day, daffodil garlands another. She wore them in her hair, on her wrists and around her neck. They were the only jewelry she ever wore.

Ruff ruff was out looking for adventure one day when he chanced by Mushy's waterfall. It was a hot day and he was glad to quench his thirst. He was drinking from the palm of his hands, when a leafy cup was handed to him. It was Mushy, and she smiled sunnily at him, as was her wont. Ruff Ruff glared at her, but grabbed the cup. After drinking from it, he tossed it aside and walked away. Mushy looked after him, making a face at his rudeness. She said nothing, but left a stack of leafy cups by the waterfall in case he should come back. For several days she kept looking, and everyday, a cup would disappear. She never caught sight of him, though. She wondered if he had enough to eat. One day, she left a plate of food by the cups. She peeped out of her window all evening, waiting for him to come. When he arrived, the moon was high in the night sky. The stars she so loved were scattered across the heavens like shining beacons. Ruff ruff walked straight to the cups and pulled one out. Then he saw the food next to the cups. A flicker of tenderness passed across his face. Mushy saw it from her window, and heart beat so fast she thought she would die. Then his lids drooped over his dark eyes. He picked up the plate and ate the food quickly. As if he hadn't eaten in days and was starving. Then, when he finished, he rinsed the plate in the waterfall and put it back where it had been placed. He took a leaf cup in his hand, and walked away. Mushy stared after him, surprised. He hadn't drunk any water. Merely taken the cup with him. She wondered at him.

From that day onward, it became a routine. Mushy would leave food. Ruff ruff would eat. He always took a cup with him. He never said a word. No thanks. He never said hello, or even waved, though he knew she was looking at him from her perch by the window. And she. She didn't know what was happening. But when she saw him, she was happy. Nowadays, her heart didn't just beat faster when she saw him. It sang. But she couldn't bring herself to go talk to him. She was scared. Everyone said he was an ogre and a villain. So, she maintained her solitary post by the window. Then, the summer came. It was a vile and humid summer. The waterfall was down to a bare trickle. Mushy grew tired and thin from the sleepless nights. She had never faced such a summer before. One evening, she was so tired she forgot to put the food out by the waterfall for him. She went into her room and closed her eyes as she lay on the bed, trying to sleep. When Ruff ruff came that night, he was surprised to find no food. And then, for the first time in a month, he looked up towards her window. She wasn't there. Ruff ruff's poor heart began racing. He walked quickly towards her window and vaulted in to her home lightly. He saw her, bathed in moonlight, lying on the bed, covers drawn to her chin, eyes scrunched tightly shut. When she heard him, her eyes flew open. She sat up quickly.

"Are you ill? You didn't leave any food today?" asked Ruff ruff gruffly.

"Oh no. I am well. Merely, I cannot sleep."

"Why not?"

"In the summer, when the waterfall dries up and I can't hear water gurgling, I cannot sleep."

"I promise you this, tomorrow, you shall sleep well." And with that, he left. And curiously, Mushy slept, reassured by his words.

Now Ruff ruff wasn't an ordinary prince. He was a rich and powerful prince as well. He had an army at his command, and that night he summoned them. All night did his army work, fulfilling the task they had been set. They diverted a stream from a huge river, and a dug a channel for the stream to flow into Mushy's waterfall.

When Mushy woke in the morning, she heard the sound of gushing water, and ran out to the window wondering. A cascade of crystal clear water fell where only a tiny dribble had flowed yesterday. She smiled and wondered what magic he had done. That night, Mushy resolved to talk to him. She cooked an extra special meal, and wore her best gown. She sat next to the fall, awaiting his arrival. When he came, she smiled shyly up at him, even though her heart was aflutter.

"How did you bring my waterfall back?" she asked.

"I didn't. I brought you a new waterfall," he replied quietly.

"But how?"

"Does it matter? I am hungry," he said arrogantly. Mushy held the food out to him and watched him eat. He was halfway through his meal when he looked up from the food.

"Will you not eat?" he asked.

"I will indeed, now that you have asked," she said. She pulled out a plate from under a rock and began to eat. They ate together, companionably. Mushy asked him many questions. He grunted yes or no, in answer. He wasn't much of a talker, Ruff ruff. When he finished eating, he reached for a cup and filled it with water. After he drank deeply from it, he filled it again, and held it out to her. She realized that there was only one cup left tonight. She took it from him and sipped slowly, wondering if her lips were touching the same spot kissed by his lips moments ago. She blushed at her thoughts and put the cup down. After they were both done, he rose.

"I must go now. I will come again tomorrow."

"I will wait for you," she smiled, a dimple peeking out in her right cheek. He wondered how it might feel to kiss that dimple. And then, because the thought made his heart race uncomfortably, he reined it in. He bent to pick up the cup.

"Why do you always take the cups?"

"Because you make them. For me." And he was gone.            

They ate together every night. She talked. He listened. Her voice washed over him like a soothing melody. Slowly his heart began to steady. It didn't leap out of chest when he saw her. It didn't fibrillate violently. It didn't come to a stop the way he feared. Instead it beat firmly. His bruised, battered heart had begun to heal. She kept him true.

"Will you go with me tomorrow?" he asked.

"Anywhere you ask."

"There is something I must show you. I will come for you tomorrow at Noon."

Mushy was delighted. She wondered where he would take her. She knew it would be beautiful. Mushy hadn't realized it, but she saw through his eyes now. She trusted him. She knew him. And she was confident of him.

When Ruff ruff came the next day, Mushy was ready for him. She wore a simple pink gown and wore her hair down in soft ringlets. Ruff ruff handed her a bouquet of light pink peonies. It was the first time he had given her anything. She was thrilled.

"Did you know I would wear pink today?"

"No. But I like pink. It is not spring or I would have bought you cherry blossom."

"Oh, but peonies are lovely too."

They set off. She hopped and skipped gaily next to his measured strides. As they walked she made a wreath of peonies and set them on her dark curls. He looked at her and smiled indulgently. She stared at him wordlessly, her heart was doing that dhak-dhak thing again. He had never smiled at her before. She felt like her heart was smiling back at him.

After about 2 hours of steady walking they reached his home. She saw a run down castle, surrounded by overgrown shrubs.

"Is that where you live?" He nodded in response but didn't take her into his home. Instead he led the way around to the back where amidst the weed and un-mowed grass there stood a beautiful cherry blossom tree. It was tall and strong and its branches unfurled in all 4 directions. It wasn't in bloom, since it wasn't spring, but its green leaves extended a shady canopy all around.

"My mother gifted me this tree. It has sustained and nourished me all these years. In the spring, when it blooms, the sight and scent is like paradise. But all year round, it is my friend and only companion." It was the longest speech he had ever made. She looked at the tree.

"Indeed it is a beautiful tree. I love it already, for you love it too. It is not your only companion, though, is it?" she asked doubtfully looking up at him earnestly.

"It is not. I have you now," he spoke emotionally. She slipped her hand into his quietly. The walk back to her home was accomplished in silence. But he didn't let go of her hand.

Shyster, the evil troll hid behind a bush as he saw Mushy and Ruff ruff part with a kiss that night. Ruff ruff left with a promise to meet Mushy the next evening.

Shyster's soul fairly burned with jealousy. For he had loved Mushy since a long time. But Mushy never looked at him. In fact, she scorned him for his lying, cheating ways. For Shyster was a troll. And his job was to trick people into giving him their wealth. He coveted gold. And he coveted Mushy.

The next afternoon, as Mushy hummed while weaving herself a daisy garland, Shyster came to her.

"I must speak with you, Mushy."

"What is it?"

"Oh! Mushy. It's Ruff ruff. He's been hurt. He fought a joust this morning for your fair name and is grievously wounded. Would you come to him? He asks for you." Said the evil Shyster, his eyes glowing with passion and madness.

Mushy gasped at the thought of Ruff ruff being injured. She set off immediately with Shyster. When they reached Ruff ruff's house, Shyster pulled her close. "He is lying by the tree he so loves." He said softly. They hurried to the backyard.

"Why, Shyster. He is not here! Where could he be? Who is with him?" asked Mushy.

Shyster created a green ball of fire using his magical powers. He held in the palm of his hands. "If you will agree to be mine, I will spare this tree that he so loves."

"I will never be yours."

"Then the tree is lost forever," he cackled maniacally, as he threw the fire at the tree. She watched it go up in flames, and tried desperately to put it out. She tore her clothes away, trying to douse the flames with them. But the fire was too strong. Soon, only a shell of the original tree remained. It's leaves, branches, all gone. Only a dark, black trunk, scarred by burn marks stood. Shyster left her there, crying.

When Ruff ruff came home some hours later, he found Mushy sitting at the foot of the tree, hugging its trunk, sobbing. His heart stopped for moment when he saw the tree burnt down. Then he saw Mushy. And it resumed its firm, steady rhythm again. Dhak-dhak. Dhak-dhak.Dhak-dhak.

Mushy looked up at him, tears streaming down her face. "I couldn't save the tree. Your tree, it's gone. I'm so sorry. It's my fault. I should've gone with Shyster."

"The tree is burnt. Its roots are alive. It will grow again. We will replant it and tend it together. But if you were gone, my heart would stop beating."

Mushy and Ruff ruff walked into their home together, where they lived happily ever after.

So...was that sucky? Mind-numbingly boring? So bad your hair turned white as you read? Please tell.

Cheers!

Vidhya

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

KatnissEverdeen thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail Visit Streak 30 0 Thumbnail
Loved it !!!  And the resemblance to the show makes it more cute!!! 😊

I hope things turn out the same way in the show... Arnav and Khushi taking care of Anjali (to heal her) ... 

Edited by freepink14 - 12 years ago
sruthirishi thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail Networker 1 Thumbnail
Wooow...beautifully written:-
gksk thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail

I really really liked it. Its like one of the famous fairy tales that we all read. I'll surely tell this story to my daughter when she grows a bit.👏👏👏😃

dumas thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 4
                 that was so cute loved it 

.Euphoria. thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 4
OMGG Vidhya..This was by far the cutest OS I've ever read...I loved the parallels of the two characters...and Shyster...what a name ROFL

OS's don't usually make me gushy, but I would definitely want to read this to my future children/grandchildren 😳

felicitysmoak. thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 5
Sooo cute :) Loved it sooo much x 
tuvalu thumbnail
It was just perfect. The narration, the pace... left me wanting for more.
Beautiful work.
invalid thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail + 5
I loved it ! It was like the perfect IPKKND fairy tale ! Beautiful !
newmoon2011 thumbnail
really cute...loved it