Censors out of sync with today's youth: Sonam

fly2me thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 3
Posted: 12 years ago
Censors out of sync with today's youth: Sonam Kapoor

Sonam feels the censors need to broaden their minds, considering the exposure that the youth has these days. "Yes, we showed the middle finger but the censors are not okay with it. They don't care what is happening on the internet. My teenage cousins are seeing things, worse things than what is happening in the cinema. Just one finger is not going to change anything," the 26-year-old actress said while promoting Players at a radio station here.

Earlier, Ranbir Kapoor was seen raising his middle finger in Rockstar, but the censors didn't object to this.

Sonam, daughter of actor Anil Kapoor, defended her act, terming it a part-and-parcel of the lives of today's youth.

"It's the normal language that we use in our day-to-day life, especially us young people. I am not saying that it is a good thing to do, but it's very today. If I am playing a girl of today, and I speak this way and I am not going to say the F word, it will look very unreal," she said.

Meanwhile, Sonam is happily lapping up all the praise coming her way for her uber-cool and hot look in Players. Co-starring Abhishek Bachchan, Neil Nitin Mukesh, Bobby Deol and Bipasha Basu, the film will release Jan 6, 2012.

Sonam is also looking forward to working on Rakeysh Omprakash Mehra's Bhaag Milkha Bhaag, opposite Farhan Akhtar.

Source:
Hindustatimes.

Do you agree with her or disagree?
(:
Edited by fly2me - 12 years ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

I agree they should scrap censorship.
fly2me thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 3
I don't think they should completely scrap it! Because if that happens then i am pretty sure Mahesh Bhatt is going to show us some hardcore po*n and sell it to us like its a movie! lmao! 😆

But i do agree with her. Like she said, im not saying that its a good thing...but it IS today. Its pretty ridiculous how some of the stuff are censored in the movies today. Its totally out of sync.
gilmores thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Visit Streak 365 0 Thumbnail + 8
I don't think anybody takes the CB seriously...99.999% of their decisions are jokes.
Sultan_Of_Swing thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 7
I'm sure she doesnt even realise what she is speaking.

There is a reason we require censorship, are we saying its perfectly okayt for kids say of the age 5-8 to see the middle finger? Arent they going to ask what that means?
I have been in the UK and the censorship is extremely strict. there are stricty guidelines on what kids can and cannot see.

The problem is in India Producers want the U certificate but dont want cuts. They are just plain greedy, they care 2 hoots about what is right or wrong.

If Sonam feels so strongly about this why not ask the producer to go with an 'A' certificate and keep the middle finger scene

We have a responsibility towards protecting innocence of kids.
Edited by Naach_Basanti - 12 years ago
DB_reloaded thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 8 Thumbnail + 5
censor board shud b led by new generation ppl ppl on dere mid 30s n 40s frm urban cities...>>>>
gilmores thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Visit Streak 365 0 Thumbnail + 8
Originally posted by: Naach_Basanti

I'm sure she doesnt even realise what she is speaking.

There is a reason we require censorship, are we saying its perfectly okayt for kids say of the age 5-8 to see the middle finger? Arent they going to ask what that means?
I have been in the UK and the censorship is extremely strict. there are stricty guidelines on what kids can and cannot see.

The problem is in India Producers want the U certificate but dont want cuts. They are just plain greedy, they care 2 hoots about what is right or wrong.

If Sonam feels so strongly about this why not ask the producer to go with an 'A' certificate and keep the middle finger scene

We have a responsibility towards protecting innocence of kids.

The problem is also that the Indian CB has no strict guidelines that they follow very strictly for every single film regardless of the names involved with the film. They come down harshly on one film, while letting some others go through when they are clearly worse violators so most of their decisions seem biased and dumb. They have seriously been getting worse and worse over the years.

The UK and US follow their rules pretty strictly and most of their decision makes sense so we don't hear much about the filmmakers being unhappy with the ratings given..they make the necessary chnages required to get the rating they want. Titanic was initially given an R rating but Cameron cut out about 20-30 seconds of the carriage sex scene and got his PG-13 rating and made about 500 million dollars more (according to my psych teacher 😆)..

I don't think Sonam meant we should get rid of censorship in India, rather that it needs some changes..which it really does. But of course our producers are also at fault because they want the U, U/A rating but no cuts.
nikita_88 thumbnail
The censor board does need a revamp but the thing is it is hard to censor bollywood cinema... I mean basically they put everything into a movie a love story, comedy, action, and there is no kind of fixed genre for the movie... They need a censor board that can look at it this way and I mean it depends on how many inappropriate scenes they are and what is message or have more levels of PG ratings, so it is up to the parents to decide, knowing what they will be showing their kids and then once the child is over 13, it is different rating system...  
-Mmmmm- thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 2

The system is messed up... In India, Money and Power talks... There is no transperency, consistency and thats why no credibility...

Same with the Censor Board too... They let go the middle finger in one movie and its an issue in another... Movies like RaOne and some of Akshay's movies with R rated stuff is passed with a U certificate... They just dont have consistency...