Users

Frequent Posters

AishMinoz thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 3
Posted: 12 years ago
Don 2 Has Very Good Opening MI4 Scores

Saturday 24th December 2011 09.00 IST

Boxofficeindia.Com Trade Network

Don 2 took a very good opening at the box office with multiplexes being excellent across the country and single screens showing good response. The opening was not upto the mark at many B and C centres but with metroes and big centres giving good contribution the first day will come out with a very good number. The reports are mixed but weekend should be big due to great showing at multiplexes.

Mission Impossible 4; Ghost Protocol had a fantastic opening with its all India first week collections challenging for top spot amongst Hollywood releases.

Ladies Vs Ricky Bahl dropped around 70% in week two but overall has managed decent collections in its first two weeks. AVERAGE.

The Dirty Picture did well again in its third week and has comfortably crossed the 70 crore nett mark in three weeks. SUPER HIT

iMadz thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 5
DON2 is awesome, cool and too smart movie ! Loved it ! SRK overshadows each and every character and actor...Truly. SRK Rocks !!! And, I think...This DON is now SRK's franchise ! SRK is back...And its ROCKING !!! Loved the surprise, Hrithik's sexy and stylish dance ! He is hot, and SRK as in DON is back with a bang ! :)

Outstanding ! 5 Stars ! :)

SRK is literally BACK and I am so so so so so happy with this movie that I am planning to go again watch it in 3D with friends as we loved it ! :)

I so love SRK as DON !!! Love you, SRK !!!

SRK is the HEART of this movie, and he delivers mindblowing, and flawless performance ! He carried DON so smoothly that eventually you find yourself in love with this smart, devil, wicked and witty DON ! SRK proved himself once again that he is a brilliant actor not just a star ! And, PC is damn hot and sexy and this little unconventional romance between Roma and SRK is worth watching and enjoying !

Script and lines are awesome, this movie is smart movie in which you can't afford to lose your 5 mins outta screen ! And, plot is catchy, it does not bore you at all ! And, Thank god (No! Thank Farhan) that there was no emotional drama at all ! DON does not need emotional, lovey-dovey track to get viewers ! DON himself is enough ! I think I will wait eagerly for DON3. And, very sorry to say this but now when I read or hear DON, all I can remember is Mr. Shah Rukh Khan and not the original one ! Eventhough SRK himself is saying that the original is original but SRK as and in DON is my generation's DON and I am in love with this new all wicked, witty, devil, smart, cool and calm DON !

Go for DON3, Farhan ! Good Work, Music, Screenplay, Script everything is wonderful ! Nice team work ! Loved it !

im laughing at my bro he went to get ticket the day he want to watch in Thursday with his frnds, and thy run around all cinemas here but all  Housefull  thy didnt get even a single ticket ,so he back home with sad face,i told him its SRK movie bhai jaan etnii asanii se ticket milna mushkel hi nahii na mumken hai ..😆
Edited by sakeenaLuvEK-KM - 12 years ago
gohem123 thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 3
DON 2 Review

Farhan Akhtar and Shahrukh Khan went global with Indian action films in 2006 with Don, their remake of the 1978 Amitabh Bachchan gangster classic of the same name.  Don 2006 was an excellent action film, and one with so many plot turns and twists that it demanded and rewarded repeat viewings. The massive success of that film made a sequel almost an inevitability, the problem then becomes how to follow up such a juggernaut.

Don 2 is all about star power, Shahrukh Khan's star power.  SRK, more than anyone in India today, is a brand, his films are often more about him and his presence than anything else.  His face on the poster sells out cinemas on opening night without fail, and his performances, even the bad ones, inspire swoons and hoots in theaters worldwide.  There is a downside to this, and that is that films often fall back on his presence and charisma rather than putting effort into making an engaging story. 

If I had to compare Don 2 to something you might have seen in western cinema, it felt a bit like a Hindi Ocean's Eleven or The Italian Job, just without the comedy or importance of the ensemble cast. Shahrukh Khan's Don is the central character and defining force in this film, and his supporting cast is just that, support. Nothing happens in Don 2 that doesn't relate back to Don directly.  There are no subplots, there is very little character development (they assume you saw the first), and even when Don isn't on screen, the dialogue, such as it is, is all about him.  In fact, there's even one case in which fellow villain Vardhaan (Boman Irani reprising his role from the first film) is talking to Don's lady friend, Ayesha (Lara Dutta), and Don is somehow magically present in the frame via obtuse reflection (or astral projection, I can't tell which). With a star possessed of lesser charisma, this would be ridiculous, but it is established within moments of the opening credits that this is SRK's film.

One of Don 2's great successes is it's cinematography, which takes a page from the original's book.  There are lots of fantastic vistas, wonderful framing, and dynamic action shooting from DP Jason West. Farhan Akhtar seems to have been given carte blanche by production company Reliance to make Don 2 big, and he did it the same way he did in the first film: location, location, location. We hop across the globe with Don from Thailand to Malaysia and eventually settle in Berlin for about 70% of the film's running time. These locations are utilized beautifully, including the now standard massive car chase through city streets and tunnels.

The stunt work is pretty damned impressive, too.  One of the things that got me pumped about this film from the trailer was the impressive looking car chase.  After getting a closer look at the whole thing, it is really even more impressive, with the chase moving from street to subway platform, and back into busy traffic with relative ease. There are also lots of very potent explosions to look at, and plenty of gunplay to keep the fans of things like Heat and/or The Matrix happy.

The first Don was a full on masala film and a tribute to the '78 original.  This meant plenty of comedy, romance, and the traditional Bollywood songs.  For many films, the songs feel forced and don't propel the narrative, but Don was the rare case in which the songs filled a narrative need. Not to mention that they were damned fun, and even now, 5 years on, that soundtrack remains one of my favorites all around.  This time around, Farhan Akhtar and SRK decided to go for a more modern, international look and jettisoned most of the traditional Bollywood tropes, including the song and dance numbers. 

Don 2 has only one choreographed song during the film, and then another over the closing credits. This was their attempt to make a Hollywood styled action spectacular. I'm of two minds about this. Part of me recognizes that to tell the story they wanted to tell with Don 2 that songs would have been an impediment to the pace they'd set for themselves and would have been very awkward to have shoehorned in.  The other part of me remembers how much fun the first film was, and misses that sense of levity, of which Don 2 had almost none.

Yes, this is a serious action/thriller/heist film. However, that doesn't mean that SRK's smooth charisma doesn't ooze all over the place.  Don manages to get in a number of good one liners, but no other characters are allowed to be anything but subservient to him in the plot.  The fact that the film opens with the credit "Shahrukh Khan IN and AS Don" tells you really all you need to know. Normally with Indian films there are at least two writers credited, one for the story and the other for "dialogues", which is the Bollywood word for screenplay.  The strange thing about Don 2 is that there really are no "dialogues", you get the feeling that every word that comes from Don's mouth would have been said whether there was someone there to hear it or not.  He speaks in one liners, he refers to himself constantly in the third person, and he talks to people as if they aren't there, always either in rhetorical or in the imperative. It is very strange.

Don't let me give you the wrong idea, though.  Don 2 is fun, and I feel like I'm critiquing it for not being something that it never aspired to be. There are enough twists and turns here to keep the audience guessing, and enough flashback reveals to reward future viewings, just not quite as much as the first film. If anything, I would fault the film for being a bit too linear, and not exploring the other characters behind the action as well as it could have. Granted, many of these stories are told in the first film, but a little bit of development wouldn't hurt anyone.  The addition of Lara Dutta as Don's plaything, and Kunal Kapoor as his computer hacker buddy/associate are certainly welcome, and Kapoor as Sameer gets the only real stab at a backstory that the writers even bothered with.

Of the two big Shahrukh Khan vehicles in 2011, Don 2 is certainly the one more grounded in reality.  How much of a bonus that is for an action spectacular, I don't know.  I do know that if you like heist films, betrayal, fast cars, explosions, pretty girls, smooth talking guys, and lots and lots of fighting, that Don 2 has something for you. A Bollywood cross between Ocean's Eleven and Mission:Impossible, Don 2 is a film that represents modern Indian action cinema well.  It represents the push toward Indian cinema becoming global cinema, and it puts India's best foot forward. I sometimes wish for another song and dance number, though.
gohem123 thumbnail

Review: It is Shah Rukh Khan all the way in 'Don 2'

Zeenews Bureau

Thank god for Farhan Akhtar. The man who is known for his sleek, stylish, uber cool films has managed to give Shah Rukh Khan a film which will hopefully erase the traumatic memory of 'RA.One'.

While the first film (Don: the Chase begins) had the burden of being labeled as a remake of an old classic, this film sheds such inhibitions and manages to surpass its prequel. The story is pretty simple. It takes off from where the first part ends when Don (Shah Rukh Khan) escapes from the police only to resurface in Thailand in the new film. After some inexplicable things, he surrenders in front of the police and old flame Roma(Priyanka Chopra). Don is then sent to a jail in Malaysia where he meets his old enemy Vardhan(Boman Irani). What follows is an elaborate planned out jail break and Don and Vardhan manage to escape. They land up in Berlin, where Don with some old and some new associates plans to rob a bank.

The film's plot isn't original. It borrows from some of the most classic Hollywood thrillers like Ocean's Eleven, Mission Impossible and Die Hard. Written by Farhan Akhtar, Ameet Mehta, Amrish Shah, the plot lacks freshness and is weak. But where the story falters, mind blowing action sequences make up for the loss.

The film has some amazing stunts and chase sequences. The car chase between Priyanka and SRK is definitely a high point of the film and so is the sequence where Shah Rukh escapes the clutches of an assassin and jumps from a high rise building.

The film belongs to Shah Rukh. So much so that a stellar cast comprising of Priyanka Chopra, Kunal Kapoor, Boman Irani and Om Puri fade in the background. Shah Rukh gives Don a completely different avatar. He has his smirk in place, he is cocky and he is evil. It is definitely refreshing to watch SRK play a negative character after ages with such ease. Remember Baazigar? Yes, SRK in Don plays the negative character with the same conviction and makes it look like no big deal. He almost glorifies negativity.

Watch the film for some awesome action sequences. And watch it for the King. He is truly back.

Ratings: Three cheers for this one!

DB_reloaded thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 8 Thumbnail + 5
Don 2 First Day Business

Saturday 24th December 2011 11.00 IST

Don 2 has had a very good first day of around 13.50 crore nett in Hindi with another 60-70 lakhs coming from the dubbed versions as per early estimates.

It is the fourth highest opening day in history and the second highest non holiday first day after Dabangg. The film will be dependent on trending and with mass centres under performing there is potential for good growth over the weekend but the problem may be content not going down too well in these areas.

The urban multiplexes have done extremely well but are unlikely to grow much as they are at very high levels on day one so a big final total is dependent on how the mass centres perform over the next few days.

The film has performed best in West Bengal and South but none of the circuits apart from Mysore have put up very huge numbers because of the mass centres under performing. Mysore has hardly any mass centres. In UP only Lucknow has performed well, in Rajasthan, the contribution is mainly from Jaipur while in East Punjab only Gurgaon and Chandigarh put up big numbers.

gohem123 thumbnail

Indian cricket team to watch 'Don 2' in Melbourne

Mumbai: The Indian cricket team is biting its nails in Melbourne over the Boxing Day cricket Test match, which starts Monday. Nothing like a Bollywood film like 'Don 2: The King Is Back' to brighten up that tense evening on the weekend before the big match.

A special screening of the film has been arranged for Sunday evening in Melbourne by filmmakers Ritesh Sidhwani and Farhan Akhtar, to help the team relax.

"Farhan spoke to Sachin Tendulkar's wife Anjali and I spoke to (Virender) Sehwag. We've organised a show for the team. The Indian cricket team will be seeing the film at the Hyotts Directors Lounge at Melbourne Central Hyotts Directors Lounge tomorrow night at 8 p.m. along with the managers and other people. There will be 60 people in all," confirmed Sidhwani.

'Don 2: The King Is Back' is a slick action film, starring Shah Rukh Khan, Priyanka Chopra, Boman Irani, Kunal Kapoor and Lara Dutta in key roles. The film released Friday.
theprince thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
I expect 15 cr for the first day but it turn to be below what i expect i hope the film will do well from mondey because the final result is the important thing here
AishMinoz thumbnail
All Time Top Opening Days DON 2 Fourth

Saturday 24th December 2011 16.00 IST

Don 2 has had the fourth biggest opening day of all time. The top ten opening days of all time are as follows. 

1. Bodyguard - 20.66 crore

2. Ra.One (Hindi)- 14.76 crore

3. Dabangg - 14.45 crore

4. Don 2 (Hindi) - 13.85 crore approx

5. Ready - 13.33 crore

6. Three Idiots - 12.98 crore

7. Tees Maar Khan - 12.82 crore

8. Raajneeti - 10.33 crore

9. Kites - 10.08 crore

10. Rockstar - 9.82 crore

AishMinoz thumbnail