Devon ke Dev Mahadev

India-Forums

Devon ke Dev Mahadev
Devon ke Dev Mahadev

\|/Doubts & Discussions about Lord Shiva Part-1\|/ (Page 90)

NandiniRaizadaa IF-Stunnerz
NandiniRaizadaa
NandiniRaizadaa

Posted: 10 June 2012 at 7:43pm | IP Logged

Oh wow. Ved vyas ji is associated with so many scriptures. Thanks meenaxi for correcting me :) am sure though that DS IS written by Markanday

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

mnx12

flamingo_aries IF-Dazzler
flamingo_aries
flamingo_aries

Posted: 10 June 2012 at 8:19pm | IP Logged
I recently visited South-Indian temple  n there were lot of Devi-Devtas...some wer  familiar some wernt..but i remember just one name...Shri Periyachi...She is seen some wat like Maa  Kali but she was drapped in saree and look more like female version of Narsimha avator of Vishnu...can anyone enlighten me regarding this...????
vanadhi IF-Dazzler
vanadhi
vanadhi

Posted: 10 June 2012 at 9:25pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by flamingo_aries

I recently visited South-Indian temple  n there were lot of Devi-Devtas...some wer  familiar some wernt..but i remember just one name...Shri Periyachi...She is seen some wat like Maa  Kali but she was drapped in saree and look more like female version of Narsimha avator of Vishnu...can anyone enlighten me regarding this...????

Its a  guardian spirit(Kaval theivam) type of Goddess for many communities of South Indians (notably one who is from sides of Madurai)  , the story goes like once a Pandiyan king named Vallalarajan Rajah who evilly tormented his subjects. It was said that if his child touched the earth then this act would bring an end to the earth. When the queen went into labour, the king could not find a mid-wife. He had to choose a woman named Periyachi(Periya -big or Old sometimes ,Achi-means mother ,Old Mother ,who act a medical help at delivery times). This stern woman successfully completed the delivery of the child and held it up so that it did not touch the earth. Periyachi asked for payment, but the King treated her badly and refused to pay. The king did not know that Periyachi was a goddess who was worshipped by demons, so he was surprised when she took on her true form. Using her multiple arms she trampled the King underfoot and tore open the Queen's abdomen and ate her organs. Then, she killed the king using her weapons. At the same time, the evil child was held in her hands, not allowing it to touch the ground, thus saving the earth from destruction.

During the third month of pregnancy - among the Tamil Hindu diaspora, the ceremony of Punsavana("foetus protection") is performed, along with prayers to Periyachi to guard the mother and child against the evil eye. After that during the seventh month, the Simantonnyana ("bangle ceremony") is performed along with prayers to the goddess to ease labour pains and protect the mother and child during delivery.

Exact story what my Granni said is also in Wikipedia ,so i copied .Wink, Hey the reason behind the Temple in Singapore is ,Lot of Tamilians migrated to that Land 2000 years ago ,I think still they are continuing this act .So Many South indian Deities are placed by them in new temples there.
Periyachi amman is Royal guardian spirit ,hence the upper class Merchants called ,Nagarathar is the sole responsible for that temple  in Singapore .Smile I think there is also a Skanda temple in Malaysia in Batu caves also build by them .

Edited by vanadhi - 10 June 2012 at 9:31pm

The following 3 member(s) liked the above post:

mnx12flamingo_ariessukhi...

tptwi IF-Rockerz
tptwi
tptwi

Posted: 10 June 2012 at 9:52pm | IP Logged
Sorry! I have yet another question. Thanks to all of your responses, the majority of my doubts have been cleared.

In the recent SBS interview, Mohit says that Shiv does not know who Parvati is and he is really confused when his anger calms down after seeing her. Does this mean Shiv doesn't realize until later that she is in fact his Sati/AdiShakti?

Also, did Sati and Parvati have the same face or different faces?

vanadhi

flamingo_aries IF-Dazzler
flamingo_aries
flamingo_aries

Posted: 10 June 2012 at 9:53pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by vanadhi

Its a  guardian spirit(Kaval theivam) type of Goddess for many communities of South Indians (notably one who is from sides of Madurai)  , the story goes like once a Pandiyan king named Vallalarajan Rajah who evilly tormented his subjects. It was said that if his child touched the earth then this act would bring an end to the earth. When the queen went into labour, the king could not find a mid-wife. He had to choose a woman named Periyachi(Periya -big or Old sometimes ,Achi-means mother ,Old Mother ,who act a medical help at delivery times). This stern woman successfully completed the delivery of the child and held it up so that it did not touch the earth. Periyachi asked for payment, but the King treated her badly and refused to pay. The king did not know that Periyachi was a goddess who was worshipped by demons, so he was surprised when she took on her true form. Using her multiple arms she trampled the King underfoot and tore open the Queen's abdomen and ate her organs. Then, she killed the king using her weapons. At the same time, the evil child was held in her hands, not allowing it to touch the ground, thus saving the earth from destruction.

During the third month of pregnancy - among the Tamil Hindu diaspora, the ceremony of Punsavana("foetus protection") is performed, along with prayers to Periyachi to guard the mother and child against the evil eye. After that during the seventh month, the Simantonnyana ("bangle ceremony") is performed along with prayers to the goddess to ease labour pains and protect the mother and child during delivery.

Exact story what my Granni said is also in Wikipedia ,so i copied .Wink, Hey the reason behind the Temple in Singapore is ,Lot of Tamilians migrated to that Land 2000 years ago ,I think still they are continuing this act .So Many South indian Deities are placed by them in new temples there.
Periyachi amman is Royal guardian spirit ,hence the upper class Merchants called ,Nagarathar is the sole responsible for that temple  in Singapore .Smile I think there is also a Skanda temple in Malaysia in Batu caves also build by them .

Thanks a tonn dear...exactly she is holding a female body toring it apart dats why i referred her to female version of Narsimha..yeah n temple name is Veersamy  temple ...glad to knw new things...will  post somw more dieties  with passing weekends LOLas i dnt remeber them  now..Ouch..i skipped Batu cave  as time didnt permit us..but i think Batu caves have a large  green-colored  Hanumanji...havnt heard abt Skanda...Tongue...here one of the temples have even Sati mata installed as Deity...will ask u more once i visit them frequentlyWink

vanadhi

vanadhi IF-Dazzler
vanadhi
vanadhi

Posted: 10 June 2012 at 9:58pm | IP Logged

Thanks a tonn dear...exactly she is holding a female body toring it apart dats why i referred her to female version of Narsimha..yeah n temple name is Veersamy  temple ...glad to knw new things...will  post somw more dieties  with passing weekends LOLas i dnt remeber them  now..Ouch..i skipped Batu cave  as time didnt permit us..but i think Batu caves have a large  green-colored  Hanumanji...havnt heard abt Skanda...Tongue...here one of the temples have even Sati mata installed as Deity...will ask u more once i visit them frequentlyWink

U are always welcome 
Mythili Tongue...Batu caves having the most beautiful Skanda statue nearly 140 ft  height .Enjoy ur trip .

flamingo_aries

NandiniRaizadaa IF-Stunnerz
NandiniRaizadaa
NandiniRaizadaa

Posted: 10 June 2012 at 10:34pm | IP Logged

Thanks for this info varadhi. This is new knowledge for me : )

vanadhi

Mohit_monaya IF-Rockerz
Mohit_monaya
Mohit_monaya

Posted: 10 June 2012 at 11:30pm | IP Logged
i have a few questions...

1. Who is Lord Brahma's wife? And why isnt she shown with Lord Brahma?

2. Lord Shiv had earlier said that his marriage with the 'ayogya' Sati will not be good for the srishti, then why did he get married to her?

3. Adhishakti is a god as Lord Narayan and Lord Brahma went to ask her about her punar janam, why cant that adhishakti marry Lord Shiv? (i mean, the real adhishakti who Lord Narayan and Lord Brahma met)

Edited by Mohit_monaya - 10 June 2012 at 11:43pm

Go to top