Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

-Nymphadora- thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 5
Posted: 12 years ago
Dakshninamurthy

Dakshinamurti literally means one who is facing south (dak?i?a). It also south or the southern sphere is ruled by the Lord of death. Although the vedic texts refer the deity as Yama, the epithet is also used to described Shiva in his role as the destroyer. However as Dakshinamurthy, what Siva destroy is not death but ignorance. Hence in this form he is said to be the granter of knowledge, wisdom, awareness and enlightenment and is described as the world teacher who imparts the knowledge of yoga, music, arts and religious scriptures.

In his aspect as Jnana Dakshinamurti, Shiva is generally shown with four arms. He is depicted as seated under a banyan tree, facing the south, upon a deer-throne and surrounded by sages who receive his instruction, with his right foot on mythical apasmara (the demon of ignorance) and his left foot lies folded on his lap. Sometimes he is also shown surrounded by wild animals. In one of his upper arms, he holds a snake or rosary or both and in the other a flame. His lower right hand shows vyakhyanamudra, while his lower left hand holds a bundle of kusha grass or the scriptures. The index finger of His right hand is bent and touches the tip of his thumb, while the other three fingers are stretched apart. This symbolic hand gesture or Mudra is the Gnana Mudra (or Jnana Mudra or Jana Mudra), a symbol of knowledge and wisdom. Sometimes, this hand is in the Abhaya Mudra, a posture of assurance and blessing. Dakshinamurthy is portrayed as being in the yogic state of abstract meditation - and as a powerful form brimming with ever flowing bliss and supreme joy. Variations of this iconic representation include Veenadhara Dakshinamurthy (holding a Veena), Rishabharooda Dakshinamurthy (mounted on a Rishabha - the bull) etc. This aspect of Shiva is also assciated with Thursday, which is known in Hindi as Guruvar.

Even though the idol of Dakshinamurthy is installed in every Shiva temple, there are only a few temples where Dakshinamurthy is the chief deity. Only one of the twelve Jyotirlingas is Dakshinmurthy, The Mahakaleshwar in Ujjain. Being the only Dakshinmurthy Jyotirlinga, It holds special importance for Shaivites as a site of learning.

Other notable temples are the Vaikom Mahadevar temple in Kerala, where the deity enshrined in the form of a Shivalingam is considered as Dakshinamurthy, and Alangudi (Kumbakonam) in Tamil Nadu. In the Sivanandeswarar temple in Thirupanthurai, (Tanjore) Tamil Nadu, He is depicted in the Ardhanari form. In Thirupulivanam, we can find Dakshinamurthy in the form of Ardhanariswara. This temple is on the Uthiramerur-Kanchipuram road, 5 km from Uthiramerur, near Chennai. [1] In March 2007, a big temple of Lord Dakshinamurty (the first in Maharashtra) was created in the Shrutisagar Ashram, about 30 km from Pune.Dakshinamurthy Ashtakam by Adi Shankaracharya is a laudatory hymn for this form of Siva.

How Shiva became Dakshinamurthy

Lord Dakshinamurti is Lord Shiva manifest as the first teacher. It is said in the Puranas that Lord Brahma, the creator, in the beginning of creation created out of his mind four progeny known as the Sanatkumaras: Sanaka, Sanandana, Sanatana and Sanatkumara. It is said that Lord Brahma asked them to join him in the task of creation. However, they were renunciates by nature, and even at that age, possessed a keen desire to know the truth. So, they set out in the northern direction in search of truth and then performed penance. Pleased with them, Lord Shiva appeared before them as a teacher, seated under a banyan tree, facing the south, and imparted Brahma-vidya (knowledge of Brahman) to the Sanatkumaras.

Another Version says that the Sanatkumars in the search of knowlege was Shiva in his Dakshniamurthy avatar under a Banyan Tree and began to question him constantly-hence he becoming the first guru to impart knowlege.

what he said was-Gyaan was eternal  and never ending

shruti

mnx12 thumbnail
Visit Streak 500 0 Thumbnail Anniversary 13 Thumbnail + 9

DASHA MAHAVIDYAS AND THE VEDAS

http://satyavidya.com/dashmahavidya.htm
As in later times there were forms of Durga, so in Vedic times, the goddess Durga was Indrani or Shachi. Shachedrani is hence the Durga-form, and other forms derive from her, as per the Rig Vedic forms of Indra.

Tara is the spouse of Vedic Brihaspati, a form of Indra (Mahakala) as Lord of Speech. Speech is also Fire in the Vedas, and in this form Brihaspati is called Narashamsa.

Indra has also forms of wisdom (RV.VII.32.26), that relate to Brihaspati.

The idea of the Goddess as Fire as the Saviouress is shown in the famed mantra I.99.1, which starts Durhasgukta, and also the Agni-taraka mantra, in which he is invoked as Saviour and Preserver as Mother (Tara) and Father (Akshobhya, Brihaspati) forms - by the son of Tara and Brihaspati - Rishi Bharadvaja (RV.VI.1.5).

Dhumavati derives from Danu the mother of Indra (male form of Kali) and the Maruts (male forms of Mahavidyas) in the Vedas. She is also widow-goddess like Dhumavati. She is the male form of Svarbhanu the demon of darkness that eats or consumes the Sun-God, which later becomes Shiva, consumed by Dhumavati. The Goddess Aditi in her Danu aspect relates to Dhumavati, as Aditi means both 'Eater' and 'Primal Reality'. She is also Goddess Nirriti and Arayi, crone-goddesses of destruction and misfortune (alakshmi).

It is interesting the dark form of Rudra-Shiva beyond death, Mahakala as Shani (saturn), the dark planet and higher form of death (mrityu) as Mahamrityunjaya, has the same Seer Pippalada, as Dhumavati. Shani is also the cosmic-eater like Svarbhanu.

Matangi mahavidya is Saraswati as Vritraghni (femanine slayer of Vritra, RV.VII.96.1), and Goddess of Speech. As Indra slays Vritra and becomes the outcaste, Matangi is this femanine Saraswati-outcaste form (as Vritraghni) form he finds in degradation (RV.VI.18.13), where even the gods abandon him.

Kali is the Supreme Mahavidya, and is the Vedic Goddess Shachi (RV.X.159) or Indrani, the female form of Indra the supreme Vedic divinity (RV.VI.30.4), as the Supreme Goddess. It is Shachi, the spouse of Indra who is his power to overcome evil forces in the Rig Veda (RV.VI.31.4). The Maruts themselves are his weapons, and can be translated as Shaktis.

Hence,like Indra, she rules the Maruts or Rudras (male forms of the mahavidyas), and relates to Prana, like Indra. She is Indra in his Ugra (wrathful) aspects, as storm.

As mother of the Maruts, she is called Prishni (spotted), being the night sky, and her black body garlanded with stars that later become skulls. She is hence Goddess Ratri (night) with her dark limbs (RV.I.62.8).

Along with Sundari or Lalita she is thus a Supreme-form of the Goddess. Interestingly, a verse from Rig Veda extols both Indra (Mahakala) and Soma (Sundara) as Supreme demon-slaying forms of Shiva. This shows the supremecy of Prana and the Soma-region being personified as Goddesses or divine principles.

Baglamukhi means to bridle or control. Baglamukhi is the Vedic Goddess Varunani, the spouse of Varuna or Yama, god of death, who holds the noose that binds the soul or Pranas (breaths of life). Like Yama (meaning Controller, of Prana, thus deity of Pranayama) or Varuna, she thus relates to the practice of controlling Prana.

Varuna represents the Cosmic Law (rta) in the Vedas, and it is hence his chastising noose that binds the tongue and prana thus later becomes the weapon of paralysation. The tongue is the main enemy to be bound, since harmful speech goes hand-in-hand with going against the Cosmic Law.

She is golden in form and hence is also a form of the Sun in it's blinding and thus paralysing aspect (wrathful or war-like form of Bhuvaneshvari). She is hence Indra's thunderbolt in it's golden form, where Indra is the Sun in his golden, but wrathful form (RV.X.96.3). As the Vajra, she is his actual shakti here.

Thus, she is Indra or Indrani as Vritraghni, yet again, the Goddess form of Indra in his paralysing aspect. Moreover, as the Vajra - the wepaon that slices all of Vritra's limbs off (RV.I.32.7), thus rendering him paralysed, reminding one of the law of Mitravaruna (Sun-form of Varuna, being Golden Varuna or Bagla),RV.X.89.8.

Bhairavi Bhairavi is Rudra's spouse or Prishni as the Firey-form and wrathful form of Speech, known as Vak or Saraswati. She is the ego-destroying Vritraghni, in her Ghora (terrifying) aspect, she is Bhairavi - with her path of gold or inner illumination - being Kundalini shakti (RV.VI.68.7). Rudra is the lord of wrath in his form as Lord of Yajna and Chants or speech (RV.I.43.4-5). It thus relates to Bhairavi, the wrathful or firey form of speech again. Yet again we have the idea of the illuminating force of Kundalini as Gold.
Rudra here as medhapati, lord of sacrifice or offering - also represents the offering of the Divine Ego to the Supreme. Bhairavi is the shakti aspect that makes this manifest. Bhairavi is also Indra in his Ghora (terrifying) aspect.

Kamla is the form of Indra's spouse Indrani as the goddess Ushas,the youthful goddess of Light and also Wealth. She is Indra the wealth-giver (ie.RV.VIII.1.6,X.42.9, RV.X.47.5). She is Rajeshwari, the femanine form of Indra as the wealth-giving Rajendra or Lord of the Gods and Maghavan  (RV.I.174.1).

Lalita
is the goddess Sundari, shakti of Sundara - the Moon, Divine Seer and Youth who personifies the Sahasrarapadma Chakra - the realm from which Nirguna Brahman comes and from which the Trinity and Three Realms are born. She is thus femanine form of Vedic Soma, the youthful god of bliss, wisdom and who personifies the sdahasrarapadma chakra and is the divine lover.

Lalita as this transcendental realm is the Mother of the Gods Indra, Brahma (Surya), Vishnu, Shiva (Agni), Maheshvara and the three regions as Soma is (RV.IX.96.5,RV..IX.87.2-3)., as deity of Sahasrarapadma Chakra. She is the transcendental form of the Goddess as Bliss. She is the higher form of Kamla or Rajeshwari, as Rajarajeshwari, "The Supreme Rajeshwari", Soma being the Supreme Rajeshwar or Indra as Rajarajeshwar.

Along with Kali or Indrani, she is thus a Supreme-form of the Goddess. Interestingly, a verse from Rig Veda extols both Indra (Mahakala) and Soma (Sundara) as Supreme demon-slaying forms of Shiva.

Bhuvaneshvari is Indrani as Ishani, the form of Indra as Ishana, who is later Shivasurya or the Sun. Indra as the Sun in the Rig Veda is thus Bhuvaneshvara. She is Aditi as the unbounded, who pervades all of nature under the form of Maya (RV.I.89.10). Through her knowledge, we thus come to understand the divine sun that pervades all things.

Chinnamasta beheads herself in order to feed her two attendant Shaktis, Dakini and Varnini, who are the Vedic Ashwins (RV.VII.67.5) , who are taught the science of Soma (being amrita or liquid-beverage that is the mind or manas in Vedic thought) or Honey (madhu, also being food) - thus "feed" by the Rishi Dadhyach (RV.I.119.9). Dadhyach personifies Indra's Vajra or thunderbolt, whose head is cutt off in order to reveal the Soma (RV.I.134.13-15). As with the grace of Chinnamasta, Dadhyach thus also grants the amrita and is lord of Soma (RV.IX.108.3), taking us to Lalita Tripurasundari.

She may also be related as the spouse of the be-headed Vishvarupa, the false Guru of the gods (and brother-form of Vritra or Svarbhanu as Ketu, the trunkless form of Vritra) whose three heads represent her three streams of bloods. Interestingly, the Brihadaranyaka relates Vishvarupa as a disciple of the Ashwins, the purush-forms of the goddesses Dakini and Varnini who wait upon Chinnamasta.

In truth, she is the headless form of Kali. Indra in the Rig Veda who kills his father Vritra, beheads himself. Brihadaranyaka-upanishad (I.5.6-7) states Father = the Mind (Head or Ego). Indra who slays father Vritra, thus beheads himself. Chinnamasta is thus another form of Vritraghni (femanine slayer of Vritra) Saraswati like Matangi, rendered here as Indra beheading himself, or as spouse of Dadhyak.
Edited by mnx12 - 12 years ago
sukhi... thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail Networker 1 Thumbnail
Thanks a lot Minaxi for writing abt Dasha Mahavidyas and Vedas simply awesome. I ws so curious to knw about it.

Once again thank u sooo much as its only bcoz of u all i hav gain so much of knowledge. Please Keep writing i definitely want to know more n more from u.Edited by sukhi... - 12 years ago
mnx12 thumbnail
Originally posted by: sukhi...

Thanks a lot Minaxi for writing abt Dasha Mahavidyas and Vedas simply awesome. I ws so curious to knw about it.

Once again thank u sooo much as its only bcoz of u all i hav gain so much of knowledge. Please Keep writing i definitely want to know more n more from u.

Something more about the Dasha Mahavidyas
sukhi... thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail Networker 1 Thumbnail
My dear Minaxi, i hvnt meant u to write more of Dasha Mahavidya which u hv already written i only wished u to keep on writting on this forum and i knw u wll.
Actualy i hv read ur other posts n i knw dat u hv a great knowlegde of our god n goddess which i dont have n i realy want to learn many things from u Please dont get me wrong.
mnx12 thumbnail
No dear, never😊 this Dash Mahavidya's spectrum is so big, it is said " Kalo Chandi Vinayako", in Kaliyuga Ganeshji & Chandi-Durgama's worship gives faster results thats why she is more popular. Another important fact is these mv's are so powerful, to stop their misuse  Lord Shiva has locked most of the mantras, that's why comparitively less people know about them & those who know them well may not disclose it. Earlier even I was under the impression, they emerged only from Sati, but they existed as the Vedic Goddesses. Each mV have their independant Shivji.
Like, Mahakaali- Mahakaal, Tripursundari- Tripuresh etc. 
.Reshama. thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail Networker 2 Thumbnail
What is the power of jaap what can u gain from jaap??=]
Life_Is_Dutiful thumbnail
Posted: 11 years ago
Originally posted by: .Reshama.

What is the power of jaap what can u gain from jaap??=]

Jst saw da meaning in da hindi dictionary.Jaap means prayer. I dont think i need 2 tell u what u gain frm prayer 2 God.I guess u already know da answer😊
Edited by subha2601 - 11 years ago
MithiBani thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 8 Thumbnail + 2
Originally posted by: mnx12

Where does Tarakasur live? He is generally shown sitting in a place without roof, is this supposed to be Patal-loka?

lHis abode looks like a rehashed LOTR set. πŸ˜›
mnx12 thumbnail
Originally posted by: MithiBani

His abode looks like a rehashed LOTR set. πŸ˜›

πŸ˜†πŸ˜† It is confirmed in the show he lives in the Patal-loka. Devatas in Swarga, Humans on the Earth, Asuras in Patal-loka.