Devon ke Dev Mahadev

India-Forums

Devon ke Dev Mahadev
Devon ke Dev Mahadev

\|/Doubts & Discussions about Lord Shiva Part-1\|/ (Page 56)

.Vrish. Viewbie
.Vrish.
.Vrish.

Posted: 15 March 2012 at 5:53am | IP Logged
Break ke baad?  You're making this like TV - who are your sponsors? LOL (Incidentally, still waiting for the sequel to Jaimineya MB LOL)

Was Devayani the same as Jayanti - the daughter who Indra had sent to seduce Shukracharya?  Or did he & Sachi have multiple daughters?

Edited by .Vrish. - 15 March 2012 at 5:54am

The following 3 member(s) liked the above post:

Sweet24romi21MithiBani

varaali IF-Dazzler
varaali
varaali

Posted: 15 March 2012 at 7:13am | IP Logged
^^^^ Wow, don't I wish I had sponsors!!!!  No, nothing of that sort. Just that, I had to pick up my daughter from school, hence the break.

Devyani is also known as Devasena, but not by any other name. And Indra sending his daughter to seduce Shukracharya is a new one to me. DIdn't he usually employ his apsaras- Rambha, Menaka, et all for such jobs? Where's the source for this story anyway?

Sweet24.Vrish.shali

varaali IF-Dazzler
varaali
varaali

Posted: 15 March 2012 at 10:22am | IP Logged
To continue with Valli and Murugan...

Kartikeya, to test Valli's love appears before her in the form of an old man. Valli is the fields, shooing away birds. The old man says he has been travelling for a long while and is very hungry and thirsty.
Valli takes pity on him and offers him some food. She then takes him  near the well, where she draws water for him to drink. While she is pouring water into his cupped hands, he suddenly grabs her wrist and ask her to marry him. Valli laughs at him and pointing to the water in the well, asks him to take a look at himself. A wrinkled face, toothless mouth, trembling hands and shaking legs, how could he even harbour thoughts of marriage.

The old man claimed that he was very rich and should she marry him, she would be the queen of his estates. Valli proudly replies that she had decided to marry none other than Murugan himself. 
Just then Valli's brothers appear there wondering who had she been talking to, since they heard a male voice as well. Murugan quickly transforms himself into a tree and waited. But the bothers don't show any signs of moving away from there Karthikeya despairs whether he would be able to even talk to Valli again. Just then he remembers he had not sought his elder bother, Ganesh's blessings before starting out. He mentally prays  to his brother and lo behold, there Ganesh appears in the form of a huge elephant. Valli's brothers began running, shooing away the elephant. Valli heaves  a sigh of relief, when the old man appears again from no where and begins to pester her. 

Valli tries  to run away from there  but finds the huge elephant blocking her way. On one side the old man, on the other the elephant. Oh, what could she do ? What could she do? 

Only one thing- pray to the God whom she considered her beloved. She closes her eyes and requests her Lord to come to her rescue. And when she tentatively open them again, instead of the old man , stood the handsome peacock mounted Skanda.

A thrilled Valli rushes to him and fall as at his feet.   

Edited by varaali - 20 September 2012 at 11:18pm

The following 9 member(s) liked the above post:

Sweet24.Vrish.vanadhiAasthahereakhlMiss.Colorfullshali.Reshama.MithiBani

.Reshama. IF-Sizzlerz
.Reshama.
.Reshama.

Posted: 15 March 2012 at 10:36am | IP Logged
@varaali thanks for part 2.Embarrassed

Edited by .Reshama. - 15 March 2012 at 10:37am

The following 2 member(s) liked the above post:

Sweet24vanadhi

.Vrish. Viewbie
.Vrish.
.Vrish.

Posted: 15 March 2012 at 10:42am | IP Logged
Originally posted by varaali

^^^^ Wow, don't I wish I had sponsors!!!!  No, nothing of that sort. Just that, I had to pick up my daughter from school, hence the break.

Devyani is also known as Devasena, but not by any other name. And Indra sending his daughter to seduce Shukracharya is a new one to me. DIdn't he usually employ his apsaras- Rambha, Menaka, et all for such jobs? Where's the source for this story anyway?

Nowhere - I only recall reading it here on I-F - Indra sending a daughter Jayanti to wait on Shukracharya.  But I too don't recall ever reading about it in any book, which is why I asked.

I knew that Indra had a son Jayanta, who was captured by Surapadman & family and made a prisoner, and who, in the Ramayan, once tormented Sita in the guise of a crow, and who Rama punished by making him squint eyed.  But I never knew that Indra-Sachi had any daughters.  If they did, surely Nahusha might have gone after her, instead of going after Sachi?

Sweet24varaalishali

mnx12 Moderator
mnx12
mnx12

Posted: 15 March 2012 at 11:07am | IP Logged
 Indra sending his daughter to seduce Shukracharya is a new one to me. DIdn't he usually employ his apsaras- Rambha, Menaka, et all for such jobs? Where's the source for this story anyway?

[/QUOTE]
http://archive.suite101.com/article.cfm/mythology_from_india/87234

This & some more sites have the same story. It is posted on pg 21 of this thread too.

Edited by mnx12 - 15 March 2012 at 11:14am

Sweet24.Vrish.shali

-Nymphadora- IF-Sizzlerz
-Nymphadora-
-Nymphadora-

Posted: 15 March 2012 at 7:46pm | IP Logged
thanks for the lovely explanation of Kartikeya...
i was just curious two qeustions infact..
1)is Ganapati married?who exactly are ridhi and sidhi?
2)why as compared to Ganapati,Kartikeya isnt worshiped that much?

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

.Vrish.

Kal El IF-Rockerz
Kal El
Kal El

Posted: 15 March 2012 at 8:33pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by .Vrish.

Break ke baad?  You're making this like TV - who are your sponsors? LOL (Incidentally, still waiting for the sequel to Jaimineya MB LOL)

Was Devayani the same as Jayanti - the daughter who Indra had sent to seduce Shukracharya?  Or did he & Sachi have multiple daughters?

No, the Devayani (or Deivanai) varaali wrote about is a South Indian goddess, believed to be Indra's daughter married to Murugan/Kartikeya. The Jayanti story is a separate one.

Originally posted by .Vrish.

Nowhere - I only recall reading it here on I-F - Indra sending a daughter Jayanti to wait on Shukracharya.  But I too don't recall ever reading about it in any book, which is why I asked.

I believe it is mentioned in the Matysa Puran.

Edited by Kal El - 15 March 2012 at 8:54pm

.Vrish.varaalishali

Go to top