Devon ke Dev Mahadev

India-Forums

Devon ke Dev Mahadev
Devon ke Dev Mahadev

\|/Doubts & Discussions about Lord Shiva Part-1\|/ (Page 55)

varaali IF-Dazzler
varaali
varaali

Posted: 13 March 2012 at 2:38am | IP Logged
The five arrows shot by Kamadeva on Shiva ... 

have been actually listed by name in the Shiva Purana.

They are HarshaNa, Rochana, Mohana, ShoshaNa and MaraNa. The names are very suggestive and a little thinking on them reveals a lot of information. 

HarshaNa :   the first arrow discharged by Kamadeva, was supposed to make the 'victim' suddenly joyous, pleasantly surprised. A person should be first made to feel happy, (even for no apparent reason) if he was to be made to fall in love.

Rochana : means ' to create a desire'. Obviously this would be the aim of the next arrow shot.

Mohana :   This arrow when shot, would cause the 'victim' to become infatuated , to fall madly in love.

ShoshaNa :  If the first three arrows had been successful, this one causes the victim's logical thinking capacity to dry up, so that he continues to remain infatuated.

MaraNa :   Death, figuratively speaking. Loss of appetite, loss os senses, all the symptoms shown by lovelorn people.

These arrows were considered powerful enough to make even rishis succumb.

Clarification: The Shiva Purana only lists the names.I have tried to throw some light on them . If there are any errors in interpretation / translation I will be happy to be corrected.

Edited by varaali - 13 March 2012 at 2:45am

The following 7 member(s) liked the above post:

ShivangBuchromi21.Vrish.vanadhi.Reshama.shali-Nymphadora-

.Vrish. Viewbie
.Vrish.
.Vrish.

Posted: 13 March 2012 at 10:05am | IP Logged
I too am pretty surprised to find out that Kama fired 5 arrows @ Shiva.  I thought that he fired just one arrow @ him, and that that was enough to raise Shiva's ire.

Shiva took a considerable amount of effort to recover from that.

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

vanadhi

romi21 Goldie
romi21
romi21

Posted: 13 March 2012 at 11:02am | IP Logged
No Vanadhi ...what you have posted is true infact from what i know it's more informative...but be careful it's very delicate topic which will not be acceptable by other community

The following 3 member(s) liked the above post:

vanadhi.Reshama.-Nymphadora-

.Reshama. IF-Sizzlerz
.Reshama.
.Reshama.

Posted: 13 March 2012 at 11:21am | IP Logged
Originally posted by romi21

No Vanadhi ...what you have posted is true infact from what i know it's more informative...but be careful it's very delicate topic which will not be acceptable by other community
hi romi  Embarrassedcan u plz pm me the link Thumbs Up

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

vanadhi

nishkala IF-Dazzler
nishkala
nishkala

Posted: 15 March 2012 at 1:43am | IP Logged
Originally posted by Aasthahere

I wanted to know did Lord Ganesh have any children??

and well I heard it sumwhere about the story in which Karthikeya and Ganesh had to take rounds of the earth...for marriage...Ganesh won ...and Karthikeya gave a sharaap ...is it true?? What was the sraap??And did Karthikeya marry after that or remained as a bachelor?

plz clear my confusion
thanx in advanceBig smile

In many traditions, Murugan(Kartikeya) is seen as a bachelor. Many of the major events in Murugan's life take place during his youth, and legends surrounding his birth are popular. This has encouraged the worship of Murugan as a child-God, very similar to the worship of the child Krishna in north India. Other traditions have him married to two wives, Valli and Deivayanai.

After the fight Kartikeya  was very angry and came down to Tiru Avinankudi(Foot of the Sivagiri hills),His father Shiva came to pacify him and told him that he himself was the fruitLOL(Since Kartikeya lost a fruit to Ganesha) of all wisdom and knowledge.Hence the place came to be known as Pazhani(Pazham nee in Tamil means you are the fruit).
Pazhani Malai or hill  has Muruga in the bachelor form and he is called as Dandayudhapani
Swami.

Varaali has already given the story ,you may refer that one .

Edited by nishkala - 15 March 2012 at 2:15am

The following 3 member(s) liked the above post:

mnx12vanadhivaraali

varaali IF-Dazzler
varaali
varaali

Posted: 15 March 2012 at 2:01am | IP Logged
Nishkala,

I had indeed writen about this  incident here
nishkala IF-Dazzler
nishkala
nishkala

Posted: 15 March 2012 at 2:13am | IP Logged
Originally posted by varaali

Nishkala,

I had indeed writen about this  incident here

Oh dear...I missed it,extremely sorry,SmileI will edit my post and ask the person who has put up the query to read your post,I will read it too.Thank you
varaali IF-Dazzler
varaali
varaali

Posted: 15 March 2012 at 3:10am | IP Logged
Originally posted by Aasthahere

and well I heard it sumwhere about the story in which Karthikeya and Ganesh had to take rounds of the earth...for marriage...Ganesh won ...and Karthikeya gave a sharaap ...is it true?? What was the sraap??And did Karthikeya marry after that or remained as a bachelor?

plz clear my confusion
thanx in advanceBig smile

Since this question keeps coming up, I think I will just give a short bio-pic of Kartikeya a.k.a Muruga a.k.a Subrahmanian (as per South Indian, specifically Tamil versions)

Kartikeya was born as the second son of Shiva-Parvati, in response to the Devas' prayers for releif against the tyranny of three asura brothers- Tarakasura, Simhamukha and Surapadman.

Once when Ganesh and Kartikeya were children, Rishi Narada came to Kailash with a divine mango as an offering to Shiva. On seeing the mango, both the children wanted to eat it. Lord Shiva decided to hold a contest- of circling around the world in shortest possible time.

What followed is well known- While all that Kartikeya had to do was mount his peacock and soar away int to he sky, Ganesha could only look on forlornly at his mouse. Until a brainwave struck him.

He went to the place where both his parents were sitting and went around them thrice, claiming that they represented not just the world, but the entire universe, the brahmaand  to him and circling them was enough for him. 

Shiva and Paravti fell for Ganesha's explanation- hook , line and sinker. When Kartikeya swooped down on his peacock, seconds later, expecting a triumphant welcome, all that he got to see was Ganesha cozily sandwiched between his parents, heartily eating the mango.

Lengend has it that an angry Kartikeya left Kailash in a huff and stormed his way up a hill called Pazhani  and remained there until Parvati cajoled him and promised to make him a sweet dish comprising of not only mangoes but other fruits , honey and jaggery as well.

Kartikeya's marriages

Kartikeya later on went on a military expedition to annihilate Surapadman and his brothers. He vanquished them and released the devas, among them Indra's son- Jayanta. A grateful Indra offered his daughter Devasena / Devayani in marriage to Kartikeya - a proposal which Shiva and Parvati happily accepted. 

Kartikeya's second marraige was not so straight forward. (Have  love marraiges ever been free from problems?) 

In the dense forests of the south, there inhabited a hunting / gathering tribe whose chief was Nambiraja. He adored his youngest child - a daughter named Valli- who he had found as an abandoned baby. Thinking her to be Lakshmi's gift he brought her up with utmost care and affection. And when she reached womanhood, he began scouting for suitable lads in his community. While offers came a plenty, there rose an unexpected hurdle- Valli announced that she would marry none other than Murugan Himself. 

Nambiraja waited for this childish idea to pass, but Valli seemed to strengthen her resolve. While gathering honey or protecting their maize and barley crops from birds, she would sings songs calling out to her beloved Murugan. Her call and yearning touched Katikeya's heart and he descended to Earth.

Aage ki kahani ...break ke baad...

Edited by varaali - 20 September 2012 at 11:17pm

The following 7 member(s) liked the above post:

mnx12.Vrish.vanadhiAasthahereshali.Reshama.MithiBani

Go to top