Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

OtakuGirl-Debo thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 4
Posted: 12 years ago
yes Vrish is right...n also there is story that Ganga take Kartikeya from Shiv n Parvati n went to Surganga to protect him from Tarkasur..😊
MithiBani thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 8 Thumbnail + 2
Anyone know more abt Nanda vrat? Vrat vidhi etc...
mnx12 thumbnail
Visit Streak 500 0 Thumbnail Anniversary 13 Thumbnail + 9
Shiva Nataraja: The Cosmic Dancer
 http://www.indian-heritage.org/articles/sp1.html
Shiva as Nataraja is the cosmic dancer. He is the master and source of all the dance forms. He is also the source of all art forms ' dance, music, drama, etc' Shiva as Nataraja taught all the art forms to Bharata muni, the rishi from Bharat Desh (the land of Bharata). Bharata muni is considered to be a rishi of the Vedic era. Some consider that Bharata muni refers to a number of rishis of the Vedic time. It is said that Lord Shiva instructed Bharata muni to write the Natyashastra. It is considered as the fifth Veda after the Rig Veda, Sama Veda, Atharva Veda and Yajur Veda. Natyashastra literary means natya and shastra. Natya includes all art forms including dance, drama, music etc, shastra means the knowledge or codification and rules and regulations to be followed for the performance of Natya.

Most of the Shiva temples in south India have a separate shrine for Nataraja inside their temple premises. A separate hall called Nata mandapam is present next to the Nataraja shrine for the dance presentations. The temple of Chidambaram has Lord Nataraja as the main deity instead of the usual Shiva lingam.

Shiva is considered to have started all the one hundred and eight tandavas. These are presented as one hundred and eight Karanas. These are present in some of the temples including the Brihadeeswara temple of Tanjore and the gopurams of the Nataraja temple of Chidambaram. In the temple cars, the most common and most popular presentations are the Ananda Tandava, Rudra Tandava, Urdhava Tandava and Chatura Tandava

Edited by mnx12 - 12 years ago
Rehanism thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 2
The relation between Shiva and Ganga is very complicated. Some Purans claim that Ganga is Shiva's consort, though not exactly wedded wife. Atleast one Puran claims that Vishnu had 3 wives - Lakshmi, Saraswati and Ganga. They quarreled a lot for Vishnu's attention so Vishnu kept Lakshmi for himself and gave Saraswati and Ganga to Brahma and Shiva respectively. Shakta Purans claim that Ganga was the daughter of Himavan and elder sister of Parvati and both of them had Shiva as their consort.

Both of the children of Shiva and Parvati also had Ganga as their mother. In fact Kartikey was born through Ganga and not Parvati, while Ganesha was given life by Ganga at Parvati's behest.

sapphirose176 thumbnail
Group Promotion 1 Thumbnail
i dunno if any1 of u have noticed it or what but i thought that now goddess lakshmi is shown, sagar manthan must have taken place already. so then why isnt mahadev shown with a blue throat?❓

as per the churning of ocean story, shiv drank the poison that emerged first of all the 14 ratnas. lakshmi was one of the ratnas. so by now shiv's throat should be shown blue thats how he got the 'neelkanth'.  

is there some other story behind it then? if anyone knows please do tell!  just that m getting myself confused😆!!!
mnx12 thumbnail
Visit Streak 500 0 Thumbnail Anniversary 13 Thumbnail + 9

At the time of Sagar-manthan, when they went to Shivji with the poison, Sati was with him. So there is stilll time for Sagar-manthan.

.Reshama. thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail Networker 2 Thumbnail
What is the power of  Maha Mrityunjaya Mantra.. jaap?? I know its a powerful mantra, but what powers does this mantra exactly have??Can someone explain this detailed to me??
-Nymphadora- thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 5
it basically in simple terms helps to evade death,i.e mrityu,in a situation where due to any circumastances a person is unwell,is hospitalized,or is in a situation close to death,it helps that person escape death,and makes the person normal like again
it does work-my sis is a doctor,and she said that in even cases where there is no hope at all the Mahamrityunjay Mantra has worked,my mom did it for my dad when he was unwell...and my grand uncle did it for her...so i have a lot a belief in the MahamrityunJay Mantra..
its a blessing to Man Kind from Shiv Ji!
.Reshama. thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail Networker 2 Thumbnail

Originally posted by: shruti.nil

it basically in simple terms helps to evade death,i.e mrityu,in a situation where due to any circumastances a person is unwell,is hospitalized,or is in a situation close to death,it helps that person escape death,and makes the person normal like again

it does work-my sis is a doctor,and she said that in even cases where there is no hope at all the Mahamrityunjay Mantra has worked,my mom did it for my dad when he was unwell...and my grand uncle did it for her...so i have a lot a belief in the MahamrityunJay Mantra..
its a blessing to Man Kind from Shiv Ji!

Thanks Shruti,  am happy that this mantra helped ur family, i do this mantra jaap daily basis, its a part of me and while doing tha jaap i feel something powerful and a connection with shivji. Its really a warm and safe feeling.

Edited by .Reshama. - 12 years ago
Intrepida thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 3
On an ironic note after the Mahamritunjay mantra-

Ok so in today's Sati and Revathy go to the cemetery - but Revathy says that women are not allowed there, and I know from what I have heard growing up - that women are not allowed in the cemetery but I never got a good explanation on why...

do any of you have a good explanation?