Views

Users

Frequent Posters

mnx12 thumbnail
Visit Streak 500 0 Thumbnail Anniversary 13 Thumbnail + 9
Posted: 12 years ago

Story of Nandi

http://www.godandguru.com/shiv-puran/chapter-35.html 

There was a sage named Shilada. He once saw that his ancestors were being tortured in hell. When he tried to find out why this was so, he was told that htis was because Shilada did not yet have a son.

To obtain a son, Shilada began to pray to Shiva. He prayed for a thousand years. At the end of the tapasya, Shiva appeared and offered to grant Shilada a boon. Shilada wanted the boon that he might have a virtuous son.

A few days later, when Shilada was ploughing the land, he discovered a baby boy on the blade of theplough. The boy was as bright as the sun and the fire. Shilada was frightened and started to run away. But the boy called after him, Father, stop. Father, stop, A voice was then heard from the sky.

This voice told Shilada that this was the son he had wanted. Since this son would make everyone happy, he was to be named Nandi.

Shilada brought nandi home to his mermitage. He taught his son the Vedas, the arts of the medicine and fighting, dancing and singing and several other sacred texts. All this Nandi mastered within fifteen days.

When nandi was seven years old, two powerful sages arrived in Shilada's hermitage. Their names were Mitra and Varuna. Shilada worshipped them and presented Nandi before them. The sages blessed Nandi with the words, Be learned, be faithful to your teacher.

Shilada said, Sages, why didn't you bless my son with a long life?

We couldn't, replied the sages. Your son is going to die when he is eight years old. That is written in his stars.

Shilada was crestfallen to hear this, but Nandi consoled his father. He promised his father that he would do something so tha this fate would have to be rewritten. He would pray to Shiva. And when he met Shiva, he would ask of him a boon.

Meeting Shiva, exclaimed Shilada. I had to meditate for a thousand years before I could get to meet Shiva. How do you expect to meet Shiva in the one year tha tis left to you?'

Wait and see, father, replied Nandi. Shiva is difficult to meet if you only perform tapasya or thirst for knowledge. The secret lies in faith and devotion. I will manage.

There is a river named Bhuvana. Nandi entered this river and began underwater prayers to Shiva . His efforts pleased Shiva so much that Shiva appeared before him.

What boon do you want? asked Shiva.

Please grant me the boon that I may be devote to you, replied Nandi. I don't want to be born become old and die.

Shiva granted Nandi the boon tha the and his father would get to live in Shiva's residence in Shivaloka. Shiva's companions are known as ?ganas. Shiva made Nandi ganapati, the chief of the ganas and retained him as a perpetu ? companion. Shiva also gave Nandi a wonderful garland to wear.

As soon as he put this garland on, Nandi became resplendent with three eyes and ten hands.

Edited by mnx12 - 12 years ago
allura thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
@mnx12-you know Nandi's birth is almost like Sita's birth in ramayan
king janak also found sita near the blade of the plough
and their was akashvani dat her name should kept as sita as she was born like that.

Sia889 thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail Networker 3 Thumbnail
Guys i have a doubt..what is it about the RangRaj n stuff???
I have no clue what that meant..plz enlighten

Regards

Sia

mnx12 thumbnail
Originally posted by: Killer_Shark

Guys i have a doubt..what is it about the RangRaj n stuff???
I have no clue what that meant..plz enlighten

Regards

Sia

The name Rangaraj is Sanskrit in origin and its meaning is king of color, or lord of the arena.
Here he may be someone creating different colours.
Aasthahere thumbnail
guys I have a question
I heard somewhere that once Daksh performed a yagya and then... he insulted shiv in some way...Sati couldnot bear his insult and jumped into the fire
Well now the question is we are being shown the love story of sati and shiv so then will they show us  about sati's jumping into the fire and then later the story b/w shiv and parvati🤔
-Nymphadora- thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 5
Originally posted by: Aasthahere

guys I have a question
I heard somewhere that once Daksh performed a yagya and then... he insulted shiv in some way...Sati couldnot bear his insult and jumped into the fire
Well now the question is we are being shown the love story of sati and shiv so then will they show us  about sati's jumping into the fire and then later the story b/w shiv and parvati🤔

Aashu!!!!Chottiii!!!!!!..how are you...so long..
ok ans to you're q...i guess that will take time,since Sati hasnt married shiv yet,and lot of events occur between the self immolation,and Satis rebirth as Parvati..so i guess we have to wait and watch!
bharat9 thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail
Is this true that Shiva only had the snake around His neck after Sati's self-immolation (as mentioned by one of the other forum member in couple of threads - thought this thread would be the best place to discuss about & to get responses)? If so then why are showing it now? Is this due to lack of research?

-Nymphadora- thumbnail
One person questioned about Shiv Linga existing before Sati and Shivas marrigae..
for general information here is the answer!
The most popular form of worshipping Lord Shiva in Hinduism is in the Linga form. It is known as Shivling or Shivalinga. The Linga symbol is an attempt to give form to the formless, referred as Supreme Being or Brahman in Hindu religion. When a Linga is installed on a Yoni, it represents the union of Shiva and Shakti – the beginning of creation.
Puranas and Epics in Hinduism narrate in detail why Shiva is worshipped in the form of linga. It is said that the Supreme Being appeared before Lord Brahma and Vishnu in the form of a 'pillar of fire', which had no end and beginning. It is one among the many symbols of Brahman. There are numerous other incidents in the Puranas including the famous Deodar forest incident in which the wives of saints are attracted to Shiva and he castrates himself and leaves the Linga on earth as his symbol.
who article
-Nymphadora- thumbnail
Originally posted by: bharat9

Is this true that Shiva only had the snake around His neck after Sati's self-immolation (as mentioned by one of the other forum member in couple of threads - thought this thread would be the best place to discuss about & to get responses)? If so then why are showing it now? Is this due to lack of research?

this is the information i found,and it doesnt state anything about Sati

The Symbolism of Snakes in Saivism

Lord Siva is depicted in many images like the one above as wearing a garland of snakes around his neck. There is a deep symbolism hidden behind this. 

Lord Siva is know as Pasupathinath, the lord of all creatures. Being a lord of the animals he has complete control on their behavior. Since a snake is one of the most feared and dangerous animals in the world, the garland of snakes around the neck firmly establishes this fact even the snakes fear Him and remain under his control. 

The snake stands for all the evil and demonical nature in the world. By wearing the snake around his neck, Lord Siva gives us the assurance that no evil can touch us or destroy us once we surrender to him, seek his protection and worship him with deep devotion. 

The snake also stands for the power of kundalini, which is described as a coiled serpent lying dormant in the muladhara chakra of all human beings and descends upwards when one starts ones spiritual journey and becomes increasingly divine oriented. The snake around the neck of Siva conveys the meaning that in him the kundalini not only has arisen fully but is also actively involved in the divine activity by keeping an eye on all the devotees who approach Siva with their individual problems.

The snake also stands for all passions and desires. By wearing the snakes around his neck, Lord Siva conveys the message to all his devotees that He has overcome all desires and is in full control of Prakriti, or maya and its various machinations.

http://allsaivism.tripod.com/snakes.html 

http://www.hindu-blog.com/2008/02/about-snakes-worn-by-shiva-serpent.html

Pictures and idols of Lord Shiva depict him wearing snakes (cobra) prominently around his neck. Snake is known as 'Nag' or Naga and they hold a special place in Hindu religion. Snakes are worshipped in Hinduism. The snakes found on the body of Lord Shiva are considered to be his ornaments. The snake around Shiva's neck symbolically represents the ego which ones mastered can be worn as an ornament. Coiled serpents also signify that Shiva is the master of time and energy.

Images of snakes are often depicted as coiled around the Linga (Shivling). A five-headed snake forms a canopy over the Lingam. Snakes serve Shiva as his sacred thread, necklace, bracelets, bowstring and are occasionally found on his clothes.

There are numerous symbolism attached to the snakes on Shiva. In some case, the snake around his neck symbolize the endless cycle of life and death. The other snakes found on him including in the form of girdle, armlets symbolize the eternal revolution of ages and the successive dissolution and regeneration.

There are numerous stories regarding Shiva's association with serpents in the Puranas. Shiva is also worshipped as Nagesh at the Nageshwar Templenear Dwarka in Gujarat, which is also one among the 12 Jyotrilingas.

Snakes are said to bear rubies or diamonds (mani) on their heads, and the jeweled heads of cobras serve as lover's lamps for Shiva and Parvati.

The most famous association of Lord Shiva with snake is during the churning of the ocean (Samdura Manthanam). Shiva drinks the poison halahala that came out of snake Vasuki, who was used as the rope in the churning. The blue throated Shiva or Nilakantha is the result of swallowing the snake poison.

According to another legend, at the time of their marriage, Goddess Parvati asked Shiva what ornaments he had brought for her. Shiva then gathered all the poisonous things in the world and made ornaments from them. Thus snakes became different ornaments. This episode is found in the Skanda Purana. Shiva making ornaments from serpents is also mentioned in the Padma Purana and the Matsya Purana.

Edited by shruti.nil - 12 years ago
mnx12 thumbnail
Originally posted by: bharat9

http://hindupad.com/hindu-deities/snake-around-shivas-neck-why-lord-shiva-wears-snakes/

The snake is one of the symbols or attribute of Shiva, is explained in many puranas. Lird Shiva lives in mountains. Carries nothing precious. Snakes also  stores nothing, carries nothing & constructs nothing, lives in mountains. to symabaise the nature of simple living, Shiva wears snake around his nack. Generally snakes represents anger & poisonous nature. Wearing it around the neck also symbolisze how important it is to control anger & poisonous nature. Vasuki is the name of snake around the neck of Lord Shiva as per many books. Why the snake is curled 3 times around Shiva's neck? Three coils represents past, present & future time in cycle. Why is it worn like an ornament? It signifies that the creation proceeds in cycles & the Lord himself transcends time. Why does the snake look towards right side? Right side represents the best action of human in terms of knowledge & wisdom.
The main purpose of all the attributes or symbols in Hinduism is to protect the universe by providing natural balance.
Edited by mnx12 - 12 years ago