Devon ke Dev Mahadev

India-Forums

Devon ke Dev Mahadev
Devon ke Dev Mahadev

\|/Doubts & Discussions about Lord Shiva Part-1\|/ (Page 111)

-Purva- IF-Dazzler
-Purva-
-Purva-

Posted: 15 July 2012 at 12:10pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by ritika06

Since last 2 weeks,we have been seeing Shiv testing Parvati in some way or the other.Now he has assigned this job to the saptarishis to test her.The explanation which Shiv gave is Parvati has still a few impurities as she is born a human.
I have few questions.
1.Don't u think it's an insult to a Godess if she is tested again and again?
Parvati was born in a human family with human relations, she has to prove that she is above her human form. It is wrong to assume that a child is innocent from Birth. Yes the child is innocent from birth, but each day there are various acts of ommission and commission that a child commits and these add to his karma.

Dhruv, Prahlad, Markandeya were all just young boys who had to pass various tests and do penance to be recognised as saints/devotees. So why would someone be declared a goddess just like that?

2.If Parvati/Sati were impure just because they were born as humans then were Ram and Krishna also impure?But then we never saw their impurities.So why are Adishakti's avatars impure?
Both Ram and Krishna had to prove that they were not ordinary mortals. This is why ram was taken by Vishwamitra to kill Tadaka and her sons and various other demons. Rama had to pass a number of tests set by Vashishth and Vishwamitra, the culmination of which was the lifting of Shiva's bow - which no ordinary mortal could lift. Even after that he had to face Parshuram and prove once again that his feat was not a fluke by lifting Vishnu's bow.

Krishna had to perform a number of miracles from the time of his birth onwards till the killing of Kansa and face various demons sent by Kansa. He also faced tests set by both Indra and Brahma.

Thus both Ram and Krishna were tested.

3.Are the saptarishis and Rishi Dadichi more purer than Parvati that they were assigned the job of testing the Godess herself?
Yes at the moment where the story is the Goddess has not realized her full potential. In order to be Shiva's mate, she has to become Adi Shakti. As of now she does not know her own shakti, so how can she become Adi Shakti - theone from whom all powers originate?

Parvati is born as a mortal and is bound by mortal ties. In order to reach her godhood, she has to rise above her mortal flesh, emotional ties, the karma-chakra of the world and then reach the sacred divine power that resides in her. Once she reaches that plane, she'll be a Goddess, not now. The sages are ahead of her in knowledge and devotion as they are bound neither by sansarikta nor desire.

I mean,human beings testing God!Shocking!
Nothing shocking about that. Haven't you heard the story of Sati Anasuya and Dattatreya? Anasuya could turn Brahma, Vishnu and Shiv into bawling babies by the power of her virtuousness. In fact the Gods who came to test her and the Goddesses who instigated them were all forced to plead with her for mercy.

Krishna himself says that the power of a devotee and a pure soul is greater than that of a God which is why we have Tulsi, Gandhari etc cursing God and the gods being forced to live with those curses.
Please someone answer my questions.

mnx12 Moderator
mnx12
mnx12

Posted: 15 July 2012 at 12:34pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by Chitrashi

One of the criteria was if a king performed 10 Ashwmedh yagyas then he became eligible to become king. There is a legend attached to Dashashwamedh Ghat in Benaras, that a king was about to perform his 10th yagya there, and Indra stole the horse, since he didn't want to be unseated. The king however was blessed and given the same amount of punya as though he had already performed the 10th yagya.

There are other eligibility criteria also, I think there was some legend associated with performing tapasya for so many years that made someone Indra.

Even I am aware of this Ashwamedh yagyas. But this can not be the only criteria, there has to be much more then this. Indra is also lord of Rains, besides being Devaraj. So this yagya may be just one of the many eligibalities Indra should have. He was always insecure so used to send his apsaras to break penance or had played some tricks too. He wanted to retain his power at any cost.

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

-Purva-

-Purva- IF-Dazzler
-Purva-
-Purva-

Posted: 15 July 2012 at 12:45pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by sub_rosa

I am amazed as well as disappointed that the story of Kamadeva was not given the closure that it deserved. According to the most celebrated version, Shiva, after burning down Kama, was approached by a grief-stricken Rati. Shiva took pity on her and revived Kama. But even then Kama did not get back his body, and came to be known as 'Ananga' or 'Atanu', meaning 'Bodiless'. In another variant of the story, Shiva dispersed the essence of Kama among the mango, the spring, the moon, flowers, bees and cuckoos. Yet another story (possibly from a Shakta source) describes how Kama worshipped goddess Sati near the Kamakhya Shakti Peetha to regain his physical form, the memory of which incident has been immortalized in the name of the region i.e. Kamarupa.

All of the above stories are highly relevant to the current narrative and I was expecting to see at least some of it in the show! So why do you think the writers hastened through this part? Is there any reference in the traditional sources to Vishnu resuscitating Kamadeva, as was shown in the show?

Since Kamdev was the God of sexual desire and his total annihilation would mean the destruction of all life, Parvati after winning Shiva's love requests him t restore  Kamdev, but Shiv agrees to restore Kamdev only in the spiritual form and does not give him a body.

Kamdev existed between the planes of death and life in a spiritual form till his rebirth. Brahma promised Rati that Kamdev would gain a body once Shiv and Parvati were married. Grief striken Rati was consoled by Vishnu that he would bring back Kamdev as part of his Krishna avtar. Kamdev was born as Krishna's son Pradyumna.

The place where Kamdev lost his life is known as Anangashram.
Kamakhya Shakti Peeth is the temple of Bhudevi  or Prithvi Mata so far ask I know. Kamrup does not have anything to do with Kamdev.

mnx12 Moderator
mnx12
mnx12

Posted: 15 July 2012 at 12:59pm | IP Logged

Kamakhya Shakti Peeth is the temple of Bhudevi  or Prithvi Mata so far ask I know. Kamrup does not have anything to do with Kamdev.

Kamakya is of Mahakali, with other 9 Mahavidyas also present in this Shakti peeth.
Kamarupdesh, it was called because people living there knew many mayavi vidyas.

Edited by mnx12 - 15 July 2012 at 1:01pm
-Purva- IF-Dazzler
-Purva-
-Purva-

Posted: 15 July 2012 at 1:01pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by mnx12

One of the criteria was if a king performed 10 Ashwmedh yagyas then he became eligible to become king. There is a legend attached to Dashashwamedh Ghat in Benaras, that a king was about to perform his 10th yagya there, and Indra stole the horse, since he didn't want to be unseated. The king however was blessed and given the same amount of punya as though he had already performed the 10th yagya.

There are other eligibility criteria also, I think there was some legend associated with performing tapasya for so many years that made someone Indra.

Even I am aware of this Ashwamedh yagyas. But this can not be the only criteria, there has to be much more then this. Indra is also lord of Rains, besides being Devaraj. So this yagya may be just one of the many eligibalities Indra should have. He was always insecure so used to send his apsaras to break penance or had played some tricks too. He wanted to retain his power at any cost.

I think the other eligibility criteria was 10,000 years of tapasya; which is why Indra was always disrupting the penance of various sages.

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

mnx12

sub_rosa IF-Dazzler
sub_rosa
sub_rosa

Posted: 16 July 2012 at 10:46am | IP Logged

Since Kamdev was the God of sexual desire and his total annihilation would mean the destruction of all life, Parvati after winning Shiva's love requests him t restore Kamdev, but Shiv agrees to restore Kamdev only in the spiritual form and does not give him a body.

Kamdev existed between the planes of death and life in a spiritual form till his rebirth.
Brahma promised Rati that Kamdev would gain a body once Shiv and Parvati were married. Grief striken Rati was consoled by Vishnu that he would bring back Kamdev as part of his Krishna avtar. Kamdev was born as Krishna's son Pradyumna.

The place where Kamdev lost his life is known as Anangashram.
Kamakhya Shakti Peeth is the temple of Bhudevi or Prithvi Mata so far ask I know.
Kamrup does not have anything to do with Kamdev.

@Pink: Could you please cite your source?

@Green: Actually there is a well-known story that connects Kamarupa with Kamadeva. I have to admit here that I don't know the source, but there are multiple websites on the cultural history of the region that incorporate it. I read it for the first time in a travelogue. However, I totally appreciate the fact that there must be other legends too about the origin of the name Kamarupa. Thanks for replying.

Edited by sub_rosa - 17 July 2012 at 2:29am

The following 3 member(s) liked the above post:

whatthewhat-Purva-vanadhi

-Purva- IF-Dazzler
-Purva-
-Purva-

Posted: 17 July 2012 at 8:16am | IP Logged
I do not have the actual sources on hand for the references in Pink. That Pradyumna was the mortal reincarnation of Kamdev is mentioned in Shrimad Bhagwad. He is also believed to be an incarnation of Vishnu himself as per several tracts.

That Brahma consoled Rati and asked her to wait till the union of Shiva and Parvati I read in several mythological stories. In fact the delay between Kamdev's incineration and his mortal incarnation is used as a reason to give a new name for his ethereal existence - Ananga. I think there is a reference to it in Kalidasa's Kumarasambhavam

From the extracts I've read, I've always understood that Shiv was so angry at being awoken prematurely that he opened his third-eye and then left the venue. Parvati only interceded on behalf of Kamdev after her union with Shiv. And that kind of made logical sense to me too, if Shiv was so angry why would he listen to any entreaty at that particular moment. Only when the fruits of that awakening would become apparent to him in the form of his marriage, that he would relent.

The following 2 member(s) liked the above post:

sub_rosavanadhi

shivshakti23 Groupbie
shivshakti23
shivshakti23

Posted: 17 July 2012 at 1:07pm | IP Logged
Smile

SHIVA DEMAND PARVATI AS HIS CONSORT

while reading some stories from shiv puran  about shiv and parvati came across this story so thought of sharing with you all... Hope u like it...Smile

Parvati, after successfully accomplishing her penance came back to her home. Everybody was happy at her arrival.
After sometime Himalaya went out to take his bath in the river Ganges. Meanwhile lord Shiva arrived in his appearance of Nataraj and started dancing in front of Parvati's mother - Maina. She was so pleased by his dance that she wanted to present jewels to him in appreciation, but Shiva refused to take them. He expressed his desire to marry Parvati, which made Maina furious.
In the meantime, Himalaya arrived and she informed him what Shiva had said. He became angry too and ordered his attendants to drive away Nataraj (Shiva) from that place. Shiva then showed his divine appearance due to which Himalaya had the vision of Lord Vishnu and Parvati sitting by the side of lord Shiva in him. Himalaya was very surprised.
Lord Shiva again demanded Parvati to be made as his consort, but Himalaya in his ignorance again refused it. Nataraj then returned back to his abode.
After Shiva went back, Himalaya had a feeling that perhaps it was lord Shiva himself, who had arrived in the appearance of Nararaj. He realized what a grave blunder had been committed. Because of their guilt consciousness, both Maina and Himalaya felt the germination of devotion in their heart.

Om Namah Shivya!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The following 7 member(s) liked the above post:

pnars.Vrish.1gunjan7vanadhi.Reshama..FairyDust.-Tulips-

Go to top