Devon ke Dev Mahadev

India-Forums

Devon ke Dev Mahadev
Devon ke Dev Mahadev

\|/Doubts & Discussions about Lord Shiva Part-1\|/ (Page 110)

mnx12 Moderator
mnx12
mnx12

Posted: 13 July 2012 at 12:52am | IP Logged
Is there any story about how a person becomes Indra. What's his eligibality criteria?
Nahush became Indra due to his punyas & the Indra was not able to concentrate on his duties because of sin of  Brhma-hatya. Before him how a person achieved this status of Devraj?

The following 2 member(s) liked the above post:

Vibhishna.Vrish.

Gods_child IF-Dazzler
Gods_child
Gods_child

Posted: 13 July 2012 at 11:36am | IP Logged
Ohh my doubt was mata ganga in love with SHIVa as cvs have shown..AS far as i have heard its just that she was trapped in hair of mahadev..
Kaede IF-Rockerz
Kaede
Kaede

Posted: 13 July 2012 at 9:56pm | IP Logged
i am really confused,ganga said that she gave her everything to shiv and then bheesma was her child with a king,what is that?????Confused
and did she really loved shiv in real,ah i  mean in kathas and all that??
Subha_2601 IF-Sizzlerz
Subha_2601
Subha_2601

Captain Kalaunji

Posted: 14 July 2012 at 7:33am | IP Logged
Ok someone opened a really interesting topic abt Rishi Dadhichi.I too wanna know how he died.i too had heard dat he applied honey all over his body,da animals licked da honey as well as ate his flesh.Cry.In wiki,i read abt he burning his body and dying.Cry
So which story abt his death is true?Does anyone know dat?
-Nymphadora- IF-Sizzlerz
-Nymphadora-
-Nymphadora-

Posted: 14 July 2012 at 10:08am | IP Logged
@Lucky-Gangas relationship with shiva is often misinterpreted and easily misunderstood,certain sections of the society interpret Ganga as wife to Shiva beacuse well-a man and woman can never have any relation other than a husband and wife,and some sections thought that an unmarried Ganga staying with a married Shiva would send bad signals hence they made her his wife...the truth it that no one other than Adi Shakti herself could have ever married him...

Shiva if you noticed is referred to as Gangadhara-not Gangapati,like he is referred to as Umapati...in no place as far as i know,he is mentioned as Gangas husband...only as Parvatis!

Ganga marriage to _________(okey i forgot the dudes name-someone please fill in the blanks) raised out of curse(its given here itself)-its a lllooonnnggg story!Wink
some versions which make the story as a pati-pani and woh thing say that the curse of a human birth was given by Parvati out of jealousy...but that is taking in regard the Pati-Patni and Woh scenario,the whole Ganga being in love with Shiva is a by product of that belief...

however widely Ganga is regarded to be unmarried...

Ganga in a way gave up her everything for Shiva-she never married,she even raised his kids like a mother(Ganapati and Kartikeya are regarded to be her kids too),was even a participant in thier birth,some versions of the Samudra manthan story also state that when Shiva swallowed the Halahal Ganga helped in cooling him down...Ganga in a way is an essential part of Shiva-showing her having a soft spot to him-yes she might have had one-but LOVE him...no...i dont quite think so...
and im more than confident the Cvs wont pursue any love triangle or make it two sisters loving one guy thing-people wont accept such a track!
Ive always wondered how such "traditionalists" never tried to give any "Name" to Chandras relationship with ShivaROFL...looks like the "Ladka Ladki Kabhi Dost nahi Ban sakte" thingy existed that time as well...

@Subha-the widely known story of Dadhichi is that he as shown consumes the weapons of the Devtas,so when the Devtas come back to claim them he cannot give them back to them as the weapons powers have been absorbed by the bones...hence by yogic powers he gives up his body,hence making his bones available to be used as weapons...

The following 3 member(s) liked the above post:

.Vrish.Gods_childMohit_monaya

Mohit_monaya IF-Rockerz
Mohit_monaya
Mohit_monaya

Posted: 15 July 2012 at 9:58am | IP Logged
u knw in a temple in West Bengal, Dakhinehwar... i saw 12 shivlings...and even in d recent griha pravesh puja we had, dere were 12 shivlings made... 

wats d connection between 12 and lord shiv??
-Purva- IF-Dazzler
-Purva-
-Purva-

Posted: 15 July 2012 at 11:26am | IP Logged
Originally posted by mnx12

Is there any story about how a person becomes Indra. What's his eligibality criteria?
Nahush became Indra due to his punyas & the Indra was not able to concentrate on his duties because of sin of  Brhma-hatya. Before him how a person achieved this status of Devraj?

One of the criteria was if a king performed 10 Ashwmedh yagyas then he became eligible to become king. There is a legend attached to Dashashwamedh Ghat in Benaras, that a king was about to perform his 10th yagya there, and Indra stole the horse, since he didn't want to be unseated. The king however was blessed and given the same amount of punya as though he had already performed the 10th yagya.

There are other eligibility criteria also, I think there was some legend associated with performing tapasya for so many years that made someone Indra.
-Purva- IF-Dazzler
-Purva-
-Purva-

Posted: 15 July 2012 at 11:43am | IP Logged
Originally posted by subha2601

Ok someone opened a really interesting topic abt Rishi Dadhichi.I too wanna know how he died.i too had heard dat he applied honey all over his body,da animals licked da honey as well as ate his flesh.Cry.In wiki,i read abt he burning his body and dying.Cry
So which story abt his death is true?Does anyone know dat?

One of the legends connected with Dadhichi's death is that in one of the Devasur wars, all the Celestial weapons were left in Dadhichi's safekeeping. When the devas came to claim them, Dadhichi confessed that he had hidden the weapons within his own body as his ashram was also attacked.

The other legend says that a Asura had the boon that he could not be killed by any known weapon that was existing at the time of the granting of the boon, so the Devas needed a weapon that did not exist at that time and were guided to Dadhichi. Dadhichi was immersed in samadhi and he mindspoke to the Devtas saying that he could not break his samadhi, but they were free to take his bones.

Another legend has it that he was the first to perform the Bhor tapasya, giving up all mortal routines like eating and drinking water, he slowed down his breathing to such an extent that he would breathe only once in a day. As a result his body shrivelled and he was nothing but bones. However, all the merit of his tapasya and the power resided in his bones.

Whatever the reason the end is that the devtas took the bones from his body while he was still living and fashioned Indra's Vajra out of them. If they had taken the bones after his death then all his punya that resided in the bones would have accrued to his soul rendering the Vajra powerless. Once the Vajra was crafted and used Dadhichi left the mortal world and his last rites were done by the Devas themselves.

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

-Nymphadora-

Go to top