Devon ke Dev Mahadev

India-Forums

Devon ke Dev Mahadev
Devon ke Dev Mahadev

\|/Doubts & Discussions about Lord Shiva Part-1\|/ (Page 108)

harianant Newbie
harianant
harianant

Posted: 04 July 2012 at 3:37am | IP Logged

According to Hindu epic, Maa Vaishno Devi took birth in the South of India in the home of Ratnakar Sagar, Her worldly parents had remained childless for a long time. Ratnakar had promised, the night before the birth of the Divine child, that he would not come in the way of whatever his child desired. Ma Vaishno Devi was called Trikuta as a child. Later She was called Vaishnavi because of Her taking birth from Lord Vishnu's lineage. When Trikuta was 9 years old, She sought her father's permission for doing penance on the seashore. Trikuta prayed to Lord Vishnu in the form of Rama. During Shree Rama's search for Sita, He reached the seashore along with His army. His eyes fell on this Divine Girl in deep meditation. Trikuta told Shree Rama that She had accepted Him as Her husband. Shree Rama told Her that during this Incarnation He had vowed to be faithful to only Sita. However the Lord assured Her that in Kaliyuga He would manifest as Kalki and would marry Her.

In the meantime Shree Rama asked Trikuta to meditate in the cave found in the Trikuta Range of Manik Mountains, situated in Northern India. Ma decided to observe the 'Navratra' for the Victory of Shree Rama against Ravan. Hence one reads the Ramayana during the 9 days of Navratra, in remembrance of the above connection. Shree Rama promised that the whole world would sing Ma Vaishno Devi's praise. Trikuta was to become famous as Vaishno Devi and would become immortal forever.

The following 3 member(s) liked the above post:

varaalivanadhi.FemmeFatale.

.Vrish. Viewbie
.Vrish.
.Vrish.

Posted: 04 July 2012 at 1:13pm | IP Logged
New question - does anybody know which of these events took place earlier:
  • Parvati invoking Ma Durga (and Mahakali) to avenge the beheading of Ganesh
  • Ma Durga being invoked by all the deities to kill Mahishashur Mardini?
I personally think that it's the first, but is there anything in the texts to support it, or is it actually contradicted by a series of analysis of other events?

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

vanadhi

Vibhishna Goldie
Vibhishna
Vibhishna

Posted: 04 July 2012 at 10:26pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by .Vrish.

New question - does anybody know which of these events took place earlier:
  • Parvati invoking Ma Durga (and Mahakali) to avenge the beheading of Ganesh
I personally think that it's the first, but is there anything in the texts to support it, or is it actually contradicted by a series of analysis of other events?

I think it was much before that, though I don't know the timeline when it happened.

It is said that the Goddess came to be known as Durga as she killed the demon (king) named Durgam.

Once, there was a Demon king named Durgam who wanted to know why the Devas always won over the Demons. When he asked his minister, the minister replied, "The Devas are knowledgeable in the Vedas. That gives them immense power."

Durgam wanted to posses the Vedas and gain enormous power. He performed severe penances and Lord Brahma appeared due to his efforts. Durgam asked for the Vedas to be kept in his custody. Lord Brahma granted his wish. As a result of this, the Demon Durgam received all the merits of the yaagas and worships thereby making him very powerful and invincible. He became arrogant and began tormenting everyone.

Another version says that Durgam asked to be made the protector of Vedas. Instead of using the Vedas for the good of the world, Durgam kept them locked up in the netherworld (Patala, I think). Due to this, the Devas and Sages lost their powers as all the yaagas, etc had lost its merit.

Due to Durgam's actions, it stopped raining on the Earth and there was a severe drought and famine. The sages all worshiped the Supreme Goddess, Devi Shakthi. (The alternate version says that the Devas asked Lord Vishnu for His help and He gave them a leaf asking them to meditate on the Supreme Goddess.)

The Goddess appeared before them in a wonderful form. She was dazzling with brilliance, had 100 eyes and carried vegetables, fruits, herbs greens, etc. She was known as Shakambari as she carried all greenery and also called Sataakshi as she had 100 eyes. Taking pity on her children, she was moved to tears. Her tears rolled down for 9 days and 9 nights which became a river and ended the drought and the Earth was prosperous once more. The sages (or Devas) pleaded to to Devi Shakambari to restore the Vedas and save them from Durgam.

Durgam came to know that the world was flourishing once more though his messengers. He gathered a huge army and attacked the sages, devas, gods and the Goddess. Devi Sataakshi protected everyone else with a firewall and let Her discuss hover around it. She faced Durgam in battle. A fierce battle ensued. From the form of the Goddess, the 10 Mahavidhyas and 64,000 other goddesses came into being. The Goddess Shakambari eventually killed Durgam on the eleventh day of battle. All the powers of Durgam was absorbed by Goddess Shakambari. She then handed over the Vedas to the Brahmanas and said, "Since I had destroyed the demon Durgam, I shall be known as Durga."

All living beings praised her glory and considered her the destroyer of all evil. It was said that all the Gods (and some others too) gave Durga a weapon like their own. Lord Vishnu created a discus from his own that looked exactly alike and presented it to Durga Devi. Varuna gave Her a conch, so on... Himavan gifted Her the lion to be used as Her vahana in her battle against demons and evil forces.

The story is found in  Devi Bhagavatam / Devi Mahatmyam and Shiva Purana.

Edited by Vibhishna - 05 July 2012 at 12:49am

The following 4 member(s) liked the above post:

.Vrish.flamingo_ariesvanadhivaraali

mnx12 Moderator
mnx12
mnx12

Posted: 05 July 2012 at 1:15am | IP Logged
In 11th Adhyaya of DSS Devi says In Vaivaswat  Manvantra's 8th yuga, Shumbh & Nishumbh, mahadaityas will trouble everyone, at that time She will be born in Nanda & Yashoda's house & will go & stay in Vindhyachal, will kill those 2 daityas.
Then will kill Vaiprachitta danav in my ferrocious form, will be worshipped as Raktadantika, due to my theeth getting Red devouring daityas.
Then will be worshipped as Shatakshi by rishis, when there will be no rain for 100 years on Earth. On the rishi's prayers will appear Ayonija. I'll seethem with 100 eyes. Willcreate many vegetables for entire sansar, tiil it rains, all the Humans will live on those Veg. That's why she will be known as Shakambhari. In the same avatar will kill daitya Durgam, will be known as Durgadevi. Then will devour daityas troubling rishis in Himalays will be worshipped as Bhimadevi.
When a daitya called Aruna will create trouble in 3 lokas,will take form of thousands of 6 leged Bhrmars & kill that daitya, will be worshipped as Bhramaridevi.
When ever there is Danavi-badha in the world, I'll take avatar to kill the enemies.

Edited by mnx12 - 05 July 2012 at 2:13am

Vibhishnaflamingo_ariesvanadhivaraali

varaali IF-Dazzler
varaali
varaali

Posted: 05 July 2012 at 1:43am | IP Logged

I think you meant to write "to kill Mahishasur". Mahishasura Mardini was the name given to her on account of her killing Mahishasura

The following 2 member(s) liked the above post:

.Vrish.vanadhi

.Vrish. Viewbie
.Vrish.
.Vrish.

Posted: 05 July 2012 at 2:00am | IP Logged
Originally posted by varaali

I think you meant to write "to kill Mahishasur". Mahishasura Mardini was the name given to her on account of her killing Mahishasura

Yup! Embarrassed

Edited by .Vrish. - 05 July 2012 at 2:01am

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

vanadhi

sub_rosa IF-Dazzler
sub_rosa
sub_rosa

Posted: 06 July 2012 at 3:23am | IP Logged
I am amazed as well as disappointed that the story of Kamadeva was not given the closure that it deserved. According to the most celebrated version, Shiva, after burning down Kama, was approached by a grief-stricken Rati. Shiva took pity on her and revived Kama. But even then Kama did not get back his body, and came to be known as 'Ananga' or 'Atanu', meaning 'Bodiless'. In another variant of the story, Shiva dispersed the essence of Kama among the mango, the spring, the moon, flowers, bees and cuckoos. Yet another story (possibly from a Shakta source) describes how Kama worshipped goddess Sati near the Kamakhya Shakti Peetha to regain his physical form, the memory of which incident has been immortalized in the name of the region i.e. Kamarupa.

All of the above stories are highly relevant to the current narrative and I was expecting to see at least some of it in the show! So why do you think the writers hastened through this part? Is there any reference in the traditional sources to Vishnu resuscitating Kamadeva, as was shown in the show?

Edited by sub_rosa - 06 July 2012 at 3:29am

The following 6 member(s) liked the above post:

shreenidVibhishna.Vrish.whatthewhatvanadhivaraali

sunshinenrd Newbie
sunshinenrd
sunshinenrd

Posted: 08 July 2012 at 8:54am | IP Logged

Blasphemy!!! I just saw friday's episode. Both Tarakasur & Vidyunmali know that parvati is the reincarnation of Sati. They have both referred to Sati as "Mata" previously. They are also aware of the fact that Parvati is an avatar of Goddess Shakti. Then how can they even THINK of getting Vidyunmali and Parvati married? It is like consciously wanting to marry the "MOTHER GODDESS". Shakti is a mother to everyone; including the Asurs.

shreenidVibhishna.Vrish.sukhi...

Go to top