Devon ke Dev Mahadev

India-Forums

Devon ke Dev Mahadev
Devon ke Dev Mahadev

\|/Doubts & Discussions about Lord Shiva Part-1\|/ (Page 107)

varaali IF-Dazzler
varaali
varaali

Posted: 02 July 2012 at 7:04am | IP Logged
Adding my thoughts to the above discussion-

There is, even today, in Sri Lanka a place called Katirkamam- where there is a temple for Lord Muruga. This is the place where Kartikeya is supposed to planned the War strategy against Surapadman. (Incidentally the idol here is never revealed to the public, since Kartikeya was supposed to have been in a fierce mood.)

Moreover, in Tamil Literature in praise of Muruga, we find references to Hanuman having bathed in a river near Katirkamam and offering worship to Kartikeya, seeking his blessings for Rama's victory (since Skanda was considered the Commander of Devas).

So, these points add weight to the argument that the Lanka of Ramayan and Mahendrapuri of Skanda Puranam may have been the same.

The following 5 member(s) liked the above post:

Vibhishna.Vrish.vanadhisukhi...NandiniRaizadaa

Vibhishna Goldie
Vibhishna
Vibhishna

Posted: 02 July 2012 at 7:18am | IP Logged

Content Removed

The following 5 member(s) liked the above post:

.Vrish.vanadhivaraalisukhi...NandiniRaizadaa

vanadhi IF-Dazzler
vanadhi
vanadhi

Posted: 02 July 2012 at 9:01am | IP Logged
Vow Varaali thanks for sharing the news .

Vibhishan ,Oh so story got changed form border to border . Nice to hear about Parvati's curse .thanks for sharing .My friend also conformed that this story is in vocal tradition not in any text .

About Skanda puran check page 2 of WU archives of this forum  u will get all the links 

The following 6 member(s) liked the above post:

Vibhishnamnx12.Vrish.varaalisukhi...NandiniRaizadaa

varaali IF-Dazzler
varaali
varaali

Posted: 02 July 2012 at 9:02am | IP Logged
Vibhishna,

I have basically tried to put two and two together. Kathirkamam was a place where Muruga camped before his war with Surapadman (that's why there is no idol of his there, though there is a temple) and Kathirkamam is in Sri Lanka. 

There is no reference to Lanka, per se, in Skanda / Kanda Puranam

About Kathirkamam, my source for information is the Sthala Purana of that place, and about Hanuman offering worship there, I found references to it in Tiruppugazh (by Arunagirinathar- Are you familiar with it?)

Edited by varaali - 02 July 2012 at 9:10am

The following 4 member(s) liked the above post:

Vibhishna.Vrish.sukhi...NandiniRaizadaa

Vibhishna Goldie
Vibhishna
Vibhishna

Posted: 02 July 2012 at 12:15pm | IP Logged
I'm familiar with Thiruppugazh but haven't read it fully. Will try to find a copy and read it. I started searching the book for the lyrics of the song 'Muthai tharu . . .'  - took me ages to understand it eventually.

I haven't read Thirumurgaattrupadai (written by Nakkeeran) either but it concentrates only on the 6 main abodes of Lord Muruga.

Has anyone read (Kalidasa's)  Kumarasambhavam?

Edited by Vibhishna - 02 July 2012 at 12:17pm

The following 2 member(s) liked the above post:

.Vrish.sukhi...

varaali IF-Dazzler
varaali
varaali

Posted: 02 July 2012 at 10:39pm | IP Logged
Vibhishna,

The Tirupppugazh that I am referring to can be found here

The following 2 member(s) liked the above post:

Vibhishnavanadhi

Mohit_monaya IF-Rockerz
Mohit_monaya
Mohit_monaya

Posted: 03 July 2012 at 10:49pm | IP Logged
hey guyss... im a bit confused here D'oh

in bengali puja's... esp d Durga puja... its said dat lord durga (which is one of mata parvati and mata sati's avatar) comes home wid her 4 children...so basically lord shiv had 4 children??

and d children are lord ganesh, lord karthik, lord sarawati, and lord lakshmi.. so if dey are lord shiv and lord parvati's children... how can lord sarawati and lord lakshmi be dere in d scene before lord shiv and lord parvati's milan??

and, u guys remember when d rishi was telling about a incident of lord narayan, lord brahma and lord mahadev to d child parvati and her family... dere it was shown bth of dem came from lord shiv's shiv ling... so does dat mean dat bth are part of lord shiv??

and lastly, why do we pray to shiv ling? i mean why that particular structure?

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

vanadhi

.Vrish. Viewbie
.Vrish.
.Vrish.

Posted: 04 July 2012 at 1:59am | IP Logged
Goddesses Lakshmi & Saraswati are only regarded as daugters of Ma Durga in the Bong version.  It's not the tradition in other mainstream mythology that these 2 are her children.  Lakshmi was the daughter of Varuna, from the Samudra Manthan era & Kurma avatar.  Saraswati, I'm unsure.

On a separate note, Lakshmi was Sati's neice, so it's a tad strange that she would have been married to Vishnu b4 Sati was married.  I would have thought that Vishnu was single in Matsya avatar, and it was only in Kurma avatar that he got married to Lakshmi.

It's therefore strange to see Lakshmi at least as Vishnu's wife when Sati gave up her life in Daksha's yagna.

The following 4 member(s) liked the above post:

vanadhi.Reshama.-Nymphadora-.FemmeFatale.

Go to top