Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

varaali thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 2
Posted: 11 years ago
Originally posted by: lucykaede

parvati is not virgin.kamsutra originated from shiva and shakti.they can't show parvati and mahadeva as a couple on tv but you can read it in puranas and other stories.😆

There may be Puranic / Mythological stories which refer to Shiva and Parvati being in throes of passion, but when it comes to actual worship of Shakti /Parvati, she is considered as a virgin. Worship to her- according to  the Vedic method- is offered to her in her virgin status.

The Gayatri for Durga is as follows : 

Katyananai vidmahe, kanya kumari cha deemahi
Tanno Durge Parajodyaat

There are more references to be found in the Sri Vidya worship of the Mother Goddess.
Edited by varaali - 11 years ago
varaali thumbnail
Originally posted by: shruti.nil

@Vrish i have heard that Nandi overheard a convo between Mahadev and Parvati,and he is the one who wrote Kaamsurtra,but it originated from Mahadev and Parvati...thier love sagas are intricately descibed in scriptures,not to forget many scluptures and pictures of ancient times

Kaam means desire/lust/passion,Kaamdev is the God of desire and Kaamsutra is the Book on activites of desire!hence the name

Sorry to contradict you so bluntly, but Kamasutra, etc are latter day productions. No doubt there, may be a branch of study and a set of a scriptures which have passion and lovemaking as the central theme and conveniently ascribe the same to Shiva- Parvati.  The Kaula Marga (a Tantric form of worship), in some cases uses the sexual desire in the worshiper to supposedly reach higher states of consciousness.

But, in the agama (Vedic) method, primarily the Sri Vidya upasana- Lalita Tripurasundari ( Parvati) is considered a virgin. It would be considered a sacrilege to think otherwise.
wildcat1994 thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
well...its a fact that Parvati is generally worshipped in either her virgin form of GOWRI or her fierce forms like DURGA, KALI, etc...but she is not a virgin...if u guys read it, u might remember that Kartikeya was born in a different way than wat was shown...simple, they couldn't show tat on national tv...so, she was NOT A VIRGIN after marriage to shiv...
and guys...kamasutra has nothing to do with KAMADEV...its a description of SHIV-PARVATI's private time and love-making as heard by NANDI...in fact...it was named Kamasutra bcoz...KAmadev was believed to be the god of SEXUALITY...nothin helps...At least thats what the PURANAS say...rest i m nt sure!!!!!!!!
varaali thumbnail
Originally posted by: shruti.nil

was does the term "aakal Mrityu" mean?

Beautiful question. 

As you would be knowing, according to the Vedas, a Man's life is divided into four stages- Brahmacharya, Grihasthashrama, Vanaprastha and Sanyasa.

Now, a key feature in  first three stages is the worship offered to the sacred fire. During the brahmacharya stage, the student offers worship to the fire lit in his Guru's ashram. When he gets married, a fire is ceremoniously lit in his house- in fact the same fire in front of which he gets married. Till he embraces Vanaprastashrama, this fire is supposed to be kept constantly alive and ritual worship offered to it by the householder and his wife. Now, there is certain number (I don't recollect exactly) of such worships he has to offer to the sacred fire. 

When this man enters Vanaprasthashrama- he takes a small flame from his sacred fire and proceeds to the forest. In the forest, the fire need not be kept constantly alive but invoked on a daily basis. When the man takes Sanyasa, he is exempt from this ritual of fire worship.

Now, if the man is blessed with a lifespan long enough to undergo all the four stages- the fire is never extinguished abruptly. 

But if the man should die while in grihastashrama itself, then after his body has been consigned to the flames, the fire which he had been worshiping from time he was a brahmachari is extinguished. 

This is called akal mrityu . It is Akaal  because the human soul has not been allowed to experience the sanyasa stage of life where it would have got an opportunity to let go of all bondage and attachments.
varaali thumbnail
Originally posted by: .Vrish.

Doesn't 'Brahmacharini' mean bachelorette?  But the Navadurgas are all Parvati manifestations & therefore, Mahadev's wife, and so none of them are unmarried, right?  So how does Brahmacharini get to be one of Durga's names?

Brahmacharini refers to Parvati in that stage of life when she was unmarried and performing severe penance to please Shiva. That form of Parvati is invoked here.

Yes, eventually she does go on to marry Shiva, but that doesn't mean one cannot worship her in any of her other previous forms. 
Vr15h thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 4
Originally posted by: varaali

Brahmacharini refers to Parvati in that stage of life when she was unmarried and performing severe penance to please Shiva. That form of Parvati is invoked here.

Yes, eventually she does go on to marry Shiva, but that doesn't mean one cannot worship her in any of her other previous forms. 

Yeah, but did Parvati's Durga form exist while she was still unmarried to Mahadev?  I thought that all those other vibhutis of her would have only been invoked after her marriage, and therefore, Durga, Mahakali, and other Shaktis don't exist as her pre-marital forms, but only as her marital forms.

Or are they simply conflating Parvati & Durga here?
Edited by .Vrish. - 11 years ago
wildcat1994 thumbnail
no...the fierce forms of Parvati are different from Brahmacharini...they became a part of her life after her penance was complete and b4 she was married to SHIVA i.e. when shiv agreed to acceot her as his wife!!! so, basically she has so many forms n she is worshipped in every form... except for PARVATI...
Life_Is_Dutiful thumbnail
Who killed Shumbh and Nishumbh?
Somewhere i read Parvati killed them,somewhere i read Saraswati killed them. 
Vr15h thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 4
^^^ Parvati.  Nishumbha was killed by Chandi, and Shumbha was killed by the merged Vibhutis that combined into Ma Durga.
wildcat1994 thumbnail
hey as far as i kno...they were killed my chamundi and ambika in merged form...