Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

sunshinenrd thumbnail
Posted: 11 years ago

Blasphemy!!! I just saw friday's episode. Both Tarakasur & Vidyunmali know that parvati is the reincarnation of Sati. They have both referred to Sati as "Mata" previously. They are also aware of the fact that Parvati is an avatar of Goddess Shakti. Then how can they even THINK of getting Vidyunmali and Parvati married? It is like consciously wanting to marry the "MOTHER GODDESS". Shakti is a mother to everyone; including the Asurs.

ritika06 thumbnail
Since last 2 weeks,we have been seeing Shiv testing Parvati in some way or the other.Now he has assigned this job to the saptarishis to test her.The explanation which Shiv gave is Parvati has still a few impurities as she is born a human.
I have few questions.
1.Don't u think it's an insult to a Godess if she is tested again and again?
2.If Parvati/Sati were impure just because they were born as humans then were Ram and Krishna also impure?But then we never saw their impurities.So why are Adishakti's avatars impure?
3.Are the saptarishis and Rishi Dadichi more purer than Parvati that they were assigned the job of testing the Godess herself?I mean,human beings testing God!Shocking!
Please someone answer my questions.
Vibhishna thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail
I agree with you all - logic seems to have taken a long vacation when it comes to DkDM.

ritika06, you're spot on with the comparison with Ram and Krishna.

As far as I know when a person is born, he/she is not impure. It is the life they live that determines that. Humans being impure by birth is something I never heard of in Hindu scriptures.

A legend of the Mahavidhyas says that a person is pure till he/she reaches the age of 16 (that is why there is such a fuss about the number 16).

I don't know if it is OK if the Saptarishis test Parvati on Lord Shiva's orders. At the end of Parvati's tapasya, it was Lord Shiva himself who came to test her.
mnx12 thumbnail
Visit Streak 500 0 Thumbnail Anniversary 13 Thumbnail + 9

Originally posted by: Vibhishna

A legend of the Mahavidhyas says that a person is pure till he/she reaches the age of 16 (that is why there is such a fuss about the number 16).

This is not the reason. The 3rd Mahavidya Shodashi Tripurasundari is worshipped as a 16 year old, who is always eager to unite with Shivji. The 16 lettered mantra of ShriVidya is considered to be of great importance. She is Parvati, who marries Shivji, is also called Lailta Tripursundari.

Vibhishna thumbnail

Originally posted by: mnx12

This is not the reason. The 3rd Mahavidya Shodashi Tripurasundari is worshipped as a 16 year old, who is always eager to unite with Shivji. The 16 lettered mantra of ShriVidya is considered to be of great importance. She is Parvati, who marries Shivji, is also called Lailta Tripursundari.

Oh... I read that Shodashi was worshiped as a 16 year old girl because till 16, a person is considered free from impurities. It is after the age of 16 that a person is affected by all the evils of life.
mnx12 thumbnail

Originally posted by: Vibhishna

Oh... I read that Shodashi was worshiped as a 16 year old girl because till 16, a person is considered free from impurities. It is after the age of 16 that a person is affected by all the evils of life.

16 is also significant for Parvati's 16 kalas of a purna-avatar.
pnars thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Engager 3 Thumbnail + 6
I personally think this "impure" and "ayogya" concept that DKDM harps on is basically a Christian construct - the concept of "original sin" that even a newborn baby is born with and must be rid of by christening, baptism etc etc. 

I don't really think this exists in Hindu philosophy..if yes, please correc t me.
kkr531 thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail

Originally posted by: pnars

I personally think this "impure" and "ayogya" concept that DKDM harps on is basically a Christian construct - the concept of "original sin" that even a newborn baby is born with and must be rid of by christening, baptism etc etc. 

I don't really think this exists in Hindu philosophy..if yes, please correc t me.

In Hinduism, Impure and ayogya doesn't mean  concept of original sin which is a christian concept.

I do not know about 16 impurities but i can say that ayogya concept is related to worldly attachments
and passions which arise out of it actually these are six called arishadvargas

kama — lust, craze, desire
krodha — anger, hatred
lobha — greed, miserliness, narrow minded
moha — delusory emotional attachment
mada or ahankara — pride, stubborn mindedness
matsarya — envy, jealousy, show or vanity, and pride

as long as these exist one cannot perceive the divine nature of the soul, as these act as smoke screen and draw us further into karma cycle and increasing our involvement in the material world.
which further weans you away from supreme conciousness.

regards
Krishna
Vibhishna thumbnail

Originally posted by: pnars

I had the same thoughts too but didn't want to compare. Since its come up, I'll just graze the subject 😉

I'm not trying to compare here but just putting down what I know.

In Hindu Scriptures, birth and life is a blessing and not considered a sin. It is considered a sin to not to have lived life fully. Our forefathers will suffer (if in heaven, they will probably sent to hell - from what I understand) if we do not produce offspring to continue the family legacy. Though it is not laid down as a rule, it is said that to take up Sanyaasa, a person should have married, had kids, enjoyed life and then feel it is all enough, give up, get ready to leave the world and spend the rest of his days chanting the name of God (using 'his' here because it is described for men. For women, it is expected that she lives under the protection of her husband till he exists and then under the care of her son - I think this came up from Manu's time, not sure though. Sometimes, it is said that a wife can leave with her husband when he takes up Sanyaasa). This way of life exists to make a person go through all what life has to give and to teach him that nothing lasts forever. A person, at one stage, should be content and be ready to give up all pleasures by himself/herself and not because of death. It was considered true strength to say enough after enjoying life and not be greedy to live the same way till the end of his days.

mnx12 thumbnail
Is there any story about how a person becomes Indra. What's his eligibality criteria?
Nahush became Indra due to his punyas & the Indra was not able to concentrate on his duties because of sin of  Brhma-hatya. Before him how a person achieved this status of Devraj?