Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Vibhishna thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail
Posted: 11 years ago
Adding to what Varaali had explained, the story I read goes on like this:

After Shiva and Parvati's wedding, the Devas did wait for a while for a son to be born to them. When Surapadma's tortures became too much for them to bear, they pleaded to Lord Shiva for help. Lord Shiva in turn promised them that a son will be born to them soon. Saying this, He looked at Parvati with love and the heat of his passion gave rise to 6 sparks. Some versions say that Shiva assumed a 6-headed form and from each third eye, a spark of flame came out. These sparks were given to Agni. The heat of Shiva's passion was so strong that the whole Universe trembled. Even Parvati was frightened and inched away from Him. As she staggered away from Shiva, she tripped (did not fall), and her anklets which contained 9 varieties of gemstones split and scattered the gems on the snow. (Another version adds another incident - Seeing these events, the Devas were happy. Looking at them Parvati was angry and cursed them that they won't have anyone to inherit their assets.)

The scattered gemstones reflected Parvati's beautiful form. From these 9 varieties of gemstones, 9 maidens came forth. Each one were of the same colour as the gemstone they appeared from and were reflections of Parvati (I think they mean each one looked exactly like a coloured version of Parvati. Another version says, they were beautiful maidens and leaves it at that.). Shiva looked at these maidens with passion and these 9 carried a son each as a result. Parvati was angered at this since they got the chance she was supposed to have and cursed them saying that when the children are due, they wont be born but will continue to live inside their wombs. On hearing the curse, the 9 women sweated profusely, and from the sweat drops there appeared 1 lakh warriors bearing Trisula and shields. They became an army who were later at the disposal of the 9 war chiefs of Skanda. It was said that these 9 maidens then lived in Kailash and served Parvati.

When the time was due for these 9 kids to be born, the 9 women suffered in pain due to Parvati's curse. Shiva seeing their suffering, asked Parvati to liberate them from their misery. Some versions say that the 9 women themselves begged Parvati to liberate them from their pain. Taking pity on them, Parvati blessed them that the kids will be born. A son was born to each of the maidens in the same colour of their mothers. These 9 warriors became the 9 generals of Skanda in His expedition against Surapadma - the eldest of them was Veerabahu.

Veerabahu was born to Ratnavalli who appeared from Ratnam or Manikkam (Ruby, I think).
Veerakesari was born to Taharallavalli who appeared from the Pearl.
Veeramahendra was born to Paushavalli who appeared from the Pusparaaha (Yellow Sapphire).
Veeramahesvara was born to Gomedha Tilaka who appeared from Gomedhaham (Hessonite).
Veerapurandhara was born to Vaiduriyavalli who appeared from Viduriyam (Cat's Eye).
Veerarakshasa was born to Vajravalli who appeared from the Diamond.
Veeramaarthanda was born to Marakathavalli who appeared from Marakatham (Emerald).
Veerandhaha was born to Pavazhavalli who appeared from Pavazham (Red Coral).
Veeradheera was born to Neelavalli who appeared from Neelam (Blue Sapphire).

All of them were accepted as Shiva's (and Parvati's) sons.

As for Ganesha, Parvati wouldn't have created him if Shiva had not intruded.

Our scriptures seem to enforce the fact that even a God cannot create everything by Himself/Herself.

Brahma needed Saraswati for creation and Shiva needed Parvati for his son to appear. Shiva and Parvati were capable of creating valiant warriors of their own - like Veerabadhra, Kaalabhairava, Badhrakaali, etc. but none of them are known as their sons or daughters. They are a form of the God who created them but not their children.

Vrish, I too had similar doubts since the Devas were praying for a son to be born to Parvati and Shiva. In the end they got what they wanted but not exactly how they wanted. 🤓

Edited by Vibhishna - 11 years ago
whatthewhat thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
@Vibhishna

Thats a remarkable story: Can you give us the source please? Thanks!
Vibhishna thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail
Originally posted by: narangi_77

@Vibhishna

Thats a remarkable story: Can you give us the source please? Thanks!

Kandha Puranam, the Tamil Version of Skanda Purana, written by Kacheeyappa Sivachariyaar.
whatthewhat thumbnail
Originally posted by: Vibhishna

Kandha Puranam, the Tamil Version of Skanda Purana, written by Kacheeyappa Sivachariyaar.

Thanks! When you say Tamil version, do you mean a translation or a distinct Tamil rendering?
Vr15h thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 4
Vibs

Thanks for the great explanation

Originally posted by: varaali

I think I tried to explain this. The marriage was needed b'cos Parvati's shakti had to join with Shiva's in order to create Kartik. It may have appeared that Shiva was doing it himself, but Parvati's shakti had already immersed itself into Shiva's. So te sparks which emanated out of Shiva's head had both the Shiva tatva and the Shakti tatva

Varaali

I understood your explanation - I was just addressing Mira's question about whether we should insert our understanding of science, history & logic into it.

I obviously don't look @ this from an Atheistic POV, so there are things I don't question there.  But things like the history or logic, I do.  For instance, the question about where Kama's soul was in the interval b/w this incident & Pradhyumna's birth - was something I put together combining the facts that Kama must have been incinerated in the early Satya Yuga - way b4 Samudra Manthan and Parvati's marriage, while Pradhyumna was born towards the end of the Dwapar Yuga.  So there were 3 yugas in b/w.

All my questions assume that divine events are possible, but do question out of sequence events, or events were cause and effect are either not obvious, or not there.
varaali thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 2
Originally posted by: narangi_77

Thanks! When you say Tamil version, do you mean a translation or a distinct Tamil rendering?

Distinct Tamil rendering. 

It is in Kanda puuranam that Surapadman and Simhamukha appear. Skanda Purana stops with Tarakasur. Kanda Puranam also goes on to describe Muruga's marriages to Valli and Devasena which is not there in Skanda Purana
whatthewhat thumbnail
Originally posted by: varaali

Distinct Tamil rendering. 

It is in Kanda puuranam that Surapadman and Simhamukha appear. Skanda Purana stops with Tarakasur. Kanda Puranam also goes on to describe Muruga's marriages to Valli and Devasena which is not there in Skanda Purana

The Valli story is awesome! Thanks! Will try and find a translation.
-Nymphadora- thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 5
i have a question about Nandi-just out of curiosity-did Nandi ever get married??😆
i read somewhere that Nandi got married to either Jaya or Vijaya and one of Shivas other attendants married the girl left out of those two-but im not sure if its true
Thank You
shruti
vanadhi thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail
Originally posted by: .Vrish.

That question should actually go in this thread in the mytho forum.

Some people can address it there.  I believe there are a few people from DkDM who are present there as well.

Thanks for the link , I forgot to book mark it , last time.
Why it is not displayed in first page like other columns ?🤔
accessing is hard !

[/QUOTE]

It's been discussed a bit - it certainly doesn't belong in the foreign & popular TV section.  But on pg 1 of this thread, we have links to all the mytho D&D threads on I-F (I had forgotten one about Hanuman from the Mahavir Hanuman forum - here it is - Doubts & Discussions about Hanuman Mythology).  The Ramayan & Krishna threads are now frozen, which is why any discussions on them go into the above thread.  Or else, Samana's question could have gone to the Ramayan D&D thread, had it still been open.
[/QUOTE]
@ Virish 
Thanks for both the links,very interesting ðŸ˜Š.

@ shruti
YA He is married to a Girl Called Svayam Prakashi (Self radiant )
HIs marriage Ceremony is celebrated in a Temple called Thiruvaiyaru(Aiyaarappar temple) In Tanjore district of Tamil nadu . I have also visited here .

there  the temples Sthal Puran having the story of Nandhi's wedding with her .

Apart form that i never heard any accounts about his weddings😊

Edited by vanadhi - 11 years ago
-Nymphadora- thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 5
@vanadhi-Thanks...[:0]...i was wondering fi they will show Nandi married😆 considering how interested he is in them😆