Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Vibhishna thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail
Posted: 11 years ago

Originally posted by: .Vrish.

Vibs

The ACK Ganesh, if you recall, showed Nandi unable to say anything, and when Shiva walked in Parvati was furious that he came in w/o clearance.  Shiva was not embarrassed - he was pretty amused πŸ˜† @ the idea of Nandi ignoring Parvati's wishes or Parvati being in her bathing clothes.  I'm trying to recall - was it Jaya & Vijaya who instigated her to create Ganesh?

One thing I've wondered - why couldn't she just summon Kartikeya, and order him to keep guard, and fire Nandi & Bhrigni?  It's true that in the ensuing battle, Kartikeya was among those who Ganesh battled, but @ least, give Kartikeya an option to test his loyalties?

I haven't read ACK's Ganesh. The stories I know are from other books. 😳

But yes, there are some versions which say Shiva was amused. As far as I can recall, Parvati left Nandi and Bhringi (makes me wonder why he isn't around in DkDM) to keep guard till she was out.

There are a lot of controversies on Karthikeya's birth. Some say he was younger than Ganesh. Some say he was born (or created) from the flames of Lord Shiva's third eye. Some other versions say that Karthikeya was born from the heat of Shiva's passion for Parvati.

I didn't know Karthikeya was among those Ganesha battled. I thought it was only the Tridevta, Devas and Ganas.

There can be two reasons for Parvati not calling Karthikeya. If he was still a child, he did not grow up with Shiva and Parvati and was still with the 6 maidens who brought him up. Probably he was with the Devas at that time or with his wives. If he was still in Kailash, he was known as Lord Shiva's son rather than Parvati's son as she did not physically give birth to him. Parvati could have summoned him if it was possible. I'm guessing he wasn't around - that's what I believed till I saw your post.

Edited by Vibhishna - 11 years ago
Vr15h thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 4
Vibs

Actually, the differences b/w the accounts of Ganesh & Kartikeya are mentioned earlier in this thread - we discussed them a bit.  In the Shiva Purana, Kartikeya is older, and in that version, there were no Surapadman & Simhamukha, only Tarakasura.  In the Southern versions of the Puranas, those 2 were there, and also, Ganesh was older to Kartikeya.

We discussed that @ length somewhat - see pg 12 onwards.  Essentially the question I had asked was that if Ganesh was elder, then why couldn't he have hunted them down, since he satisfied the conditions of Surapadman & his brothers - that they be killed only by Shiva's son.  What I discuss below is based on the assumption that Kartikeya was older (obviously, or else the option of calling him didn't exist for Parvati)

Back to this question, I hadn't thought of the possibility that Parvati didn't want to call him since he was not exactly born to her.  But actually, 2 things here - when the Krittikas took the 6 babies that were born out of the sparks, Parvati approached them and claimed them as her own, and when she got near, the 6 babies merged into one 6-headed baby.  Shiva resolved the dispute b/w 6 parties of Kartikeya's parentage, and also gave him a name according to his being Parvati's son (I'm forgetting that name).  So it's inconceivable that Parvati would have thought of Kartikeya as not being hers.

I know it's way too early now, but in the Shiva Purana, as well as in the ACK Ganesh, the way he was beheaded was that after he had trounced everybody - Indra, the devas, Nandi & Bhrigni, the Ganas, Vishnu engaged him in combat.  While they were fighting, Shiva took advantage of that and beheaded Ganesh from behind.

I just wonder whether this serial will show that, or whether they'll show something else?  As it is, they whitewashed Narayan's behavior during Daksha's yagna, and here, they'd have to show Mahadev in bad light, even though it's from Shiva Purana.  So will they do that, or will they show something like Shiva beheading Ganesh in a head to head confrontation (no pun intended) and just gloss over his victory?  B'cos Ganesh did score a major victory until Shiva cheated to kill him, and that enraged Parvati so much that she sent Durga and Mahakali to punish the Devas & Ganas.  (I thought she should have sent them to punish at least Vishnu as well - I know she can't do anything to Mahadev since he's her husband, but this she could have done.)
Edited by .Vrish. - 11 years ago
varaali thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 2

.  Shiva resolved the dispute b/w 6 parties of Kartikeya's parentage, and also gave him a name according to his being Parvati's son (I'm forgetting that name).  

The name given was Skanda. 

Edited by varaali - 11 years ago
Vr15h thumbnail
Skanda was the name Kartikeya got by virtue of being Mahadev's son.  But there was another name he got as a result of being Parvati's son, which I don't recall.
varaali thumbnail

Skanda was the name Kartikeya got by virtue of being Mahadev's son.  But there was another name he got as a result of being Parvati's son, which I don't recall.

As Shiva's son he came to be called Guha. 

As Parvati's son he was named Skanda.

That's why the name of one of  the Nava Durgas is Skanda Mata.

Edited by varaali - 11 years ago
varaali thumbnail
SInce he was carried by the river Ganga, he came to be known as Gangeya and since he was born in the Shravana forest, one of his names is Sharavanan. And of course Kartikeya since the Kritikka Sisters nursed him
Vr15h thumbnail
He also had names assigned to him as a result of Agni & Vayu picking up the sparks and taking them to Ganga.  Didn't he?  What were those names?

I have a different question about Kama-dev.  Actually 2:
  • Kama was incinerated by Shiva at the start of Satya Yuga, but Pradhyumna wasn't born until the Dwapar Yuga.  So where was Kama's soul roaming about for the entire Satya, Treta & Dwapar Yuga? πŸ˜•
  • After the Yadava fratricide in which Pradhyumna was among the first to get killed, is there any description in any of the texts about Kama & Rati getting re-united in Devalok?  Or was their union thought to have been achieved when Mayavati got Pradhyumna?
.Reshama. thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail Networker 2 Thumbnail
Can somebody tell me if Mahadev is whit or black.??
Vr15h thumbnail
I think Mahadev is purple.  I mean when one gets bruised, and the portion of the injured area turns purple or blue?  That I think is Mahadev's color.  Why, I don't know - was it due to the halahal?
.Reshama. thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail Networker 2 Thumbnail
@vrish the reasion am askin this is because in some idols or pictures i see a white or blue Shivji ..this is really confusion meπŸ˜•