Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

NandiniRaizadaa thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 4
Posted: 11 years ago

Shiva is God. He realized through his divine powers. Through her meditation parvati regained divinity and became yogya. Why dont you watch the show to find out
Vr15h thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 4
^^^^ No, watching the show to find out is a bad idea, given how fast & loose CVs are playing.  Reading the original Shiva purana's (check out the sacredtexts.com website) to find out the story is the way to go.

Anyway, yeah, Parvati gained her powers through her meditation.  I thought my previous answer made that clear.

@vrish you are right but this i hope they will show right
varaali thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 2
Originally posted by: .Vrish.

Shiva went into a completely meditative state, so he may have been completely unaware that Sati had been reborn to return to him as Parvati.

Parvati was not born w/ her powers, although some scriptures have it that miraculous things were observed around her.  After Kama was incinerated, Shiva left, and Parvati thought that Shiva wouldn't be interested in her as she was, and therefore, she went into meditation.  1000s of years later, Mahadev appeared b4 her.

A quick reconciliation of various sources (Skanda, Shiva and Devi Puranas)

Not being able to bear her husband's humiliation by her father, Sati gave up her body and Shiva, separated from his Shakti, withdrew into seclusion, assuming the form of Dakshinamoorthy, the lone Purusha. 

But the Divine Mother, the  Shakti, felt the need to incarnate once again and be united with Shiva, because it is only when the Prakriti is united with Purusha that the creation of the world can take place.

But this time, she wanted to take birth as a daughter of one who would hold her husband in highest esteem. And who better than Himavan himself, who literally supported Shiva on his head. Coincidentally, Mena Devi was also praying to the Goddess to incarnate through her womb. And the Goddess obliged. As the daughter of the King of Mountains, she was named Parvati. 

As Vrish has correctly observed, she was not born with any special powers, though she seemed to radiate divinity.  She was often found doing abhisheka  and puja to a Shiva Lingam.

Even her parents were unaware of her inherent divinity when one day when she was sixteen Devarishi Narada observed the lines on her hands and predicted that she was destined to marry Shiva. Well, he did not explicitly mention Shiva's name, but dropped enough hints for Himavan and Parvati to understand.

When Narada was leaving the palace, he was sought by Parvati to whom he whispered the sacred Panchakshari Mantra 'Om Namah Shivaya'  in her right ear, as if giving Deeksha.

Shortly after, Shiva left his Kailash abode and after seeking Himavan's permission, established himself near Oushadhiprastha, the capital of Himavan's kingdom. Parvati would often go there and engage in silent service. Shiva was still in his silence mode. 

Then followed the Kamadeva episode and Shiva, engraged that his meditation had been disturbed, leaves for Kailash in a huff.

A distraught Parvati seeks Narada's counsel who advises her that Shiva not an ordinary being who could be won over through Kama and the only way to win his favour was through austerities.

Parvati leaves the comforts of her maternal home and proceeds to a desolate place to perform sever tapas.  Mena Devi tries to stop her by calling her "U...Maa  U...Maa" implying Don't  ...D'ont.

During summer, she performed penances amidst five fires - four lit around her and the fifth was the overhead sun. She gave up eating even leaves, thus getting the name "A-parna " 

Vibhishna thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail
Tan,

Thanks a lot for the info on Markandeya. I knew he was blessed to transend even the apocalypse but didn't know where he could be safe enough to do so.

Varaali,

You've summarised it all pretty well. I thought Himavan's daughter was named Uma and then acquired the name Parvati as she was the daughter of the (king of) parvats just like Sita acquired the name Janaki and Mythili as she hailed from Mithila and was King Janak's daughter. Besides, from what I read, Himavan's wife was an apsara named Menaka.

tptwi,

The best way to understand the whole situation, is to read the original scriptures or their translations. Following Mytho serials is not a good idea as most of them don't depict the real story. Especially DkDM is a total mess when compared with the original legends.

-SilverFlames- thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 2
@Vrish: Thank you so much for mentioning that Sacred Texts website, I have been searching everyone for a reliable source so cheers a bunch buddy! :D
.Reshama. thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail Networker 2 Thumbnail
@vrish can give me the link plz of the Sacred Texts website. cant find itβ“πŸ˜•

We were talking rishi markandaya on the other thread. He has seen and survived pralaya. There is a pic in our house where lord vishnu in baby form is lying on a leaf with water all around and rishi markandaya bowing to him. My grandma says it is a dipiction of pralaya and what remains beyond. Rishi markandeya has written devi puran and durga saptashati and has created mantras like ya devi, jayanti mangala kali, sarva mangal mangalye etf
mnx12 thumbnail
Visit Streak 500 0 Thumbnail Anniversary 13 Thumbnail + 9
 DP is not written by rishi Markandeya. When Ved Vyas went to Brhma loka to ask the Vedas about Goddess ParaShakti, on The Shruti's (Veda's) prayer, Goddess Prashkti appeared, in various form, sometimes as Radha with Krishna, Lakshmi with Vishnu, Saraswati with Brhma etc. At her feet in a Lotus, Vyas found Devi Puran's text. At some place it is written Vyas saw it in his meditative state & he transfered it as Devi Puran. As Puranas are refered as Smrutis.

Oh wow. Ved vyas ji is associated with so many scriptures. Thanks meenaxi for correcting me :) am sure though that DS IS written by Markanday