Originally posted by: .Vrish.

Don't ask

arrey and i was waiting with abated breadth to hear the answer lolz
varaali thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 2
Posted: 11 years ago
Originally posted by: .Vrish.

I once read this story about Ayappan here 3 years ago:

The Appaya  Dikshitar to whom you have alluded to, was a great Sanskrit scholar, well known for such aphorisms. 

IIRC what I have read regarding the above story, many many years ago,  a sculptor  was once commissioned by the local king to carve a statue of  Lord Ayyapa. The typical image of Ayyapa  has his left hand placed over the left knee and his right hand in the abhaya hasta (aashirwad) mudra) IN this case, when the completed statue was unveiled, the king commented that  the right hand was too close to the nose and gave the viewer the impression that the Lord was in some deep thought, rather than in in the usual benign blessing mode. The sculptor did not know how to respond. If he insisted that his image was correct, he would be disagreeing with the king risking the king's ire. On the other hand, if he agreed with the king, it would imply a tacit admission on his part that there was indeed some defect in his creation. 

The sculptor found an ingenious way out and claimed indeed the king was correct, and he (the sculptor) had been 'inspired' to carve it in such a manner. He also claimed a heavenly voice had 'told' him that when someone discovered what the Lord was thinking about, He would remove His hand from his nose. The sculptor  escaped with his outlandish explanation, but the legend lived on for many many years...

...Until the day Appaya  Dikshitar visited the temple. His wit and intelligence were intrigued by this legend and in a spontaneous burst of poetry, revealed  what  Lord Shasta  was musing about.  It is claimed that Lord Shasta responded by bringing his hand back to the abhaya hasta  mudra .

There is another interesting incident in which Appaya Dikshitar's wit and intelligence were involved.  Once he accompanied his patron king and queen to  a local temple in Kanchipuram where the presiding deity was Lord Varadaraja Perumal (a form of Vishnu) . The priest waved the aarti lamp in front of the God and then brought it to the royal couple . At this point the king remarked that the Lord's face seemed to be looking down rather than facing straight. The king asked Appaya Dikshitar what may be the reason. Appaya Dikshitar looked around for an answer. The sanctom sanctorum where they were standing was in semi darkness and and the light of the flickering lamps made the Queen's jewels sparkle magnificently.

It did not take long for Appaya Dikshitar to respond. He said " My king, the Lord seems to be looking down because He is looking at his heart. When He saw the Queen here, He got confused for  a moment and wondered whether it was his Lakshmi, who was now standing in front of him." 

Do I need to say how pleased the king would have been with this answer? 

Appaya Dikshitar lived in the 16 century

Edited by varaali - 11 years ago

vanadhi thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail
Originally posted by: varaali

Thanks vaarali ,
i love this kind of stories ...i have question about Lord VaradaRaja (boon giver  ).Right ! it is said that actual deity (Mulavar) is under the temple'sPool water for some reasons .And the ONe who is now is replaced by it is what we are worshiping . So when it happens before Ramanujar period ? or later 

.Reshama. thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail Networker 2 Thumbnail
---Oke her is my question..are Shiv and Shakti  Dravidians Gods from the Indusvalley..Btw what happend to that high civilized population.???

Vr15h thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 4
Reshma

Looks like Shiva was one god common to both the Dravidians and the Indus Valley people, as well as the Aryans.  The Indus Valley seems to have worshipped him as Pashupata, while the Aryans worshipped him in a more human form.

Beyond that are whole schools of belief dedicated to who believes what, whether the Pashupata of the IVC was the same as Shiva of the Aryans, and so on.
varaali thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 2
Originally posted by: vanadhi

Thanks vaarali ,
i love this kind of stories ...i have question about Lord VaradaRaja (boon giver  ).Right ! it is said that actual deity (Mulavar) is under the temple'sPool water for some reasons .And the ONe who is now is replaced by it is what we are worshiping . So when it happens before Ramanujar period ? or later 

Yes, the Adhi Varadar (original diety) lies immersed in the temple pond. The 10 foot  idol is taken out once in 40 years and grand poojas are done. The last time this was done was in 1979.

The Moolavar who resides in the temple is supposed to have come from a place called Palaya Sreevaram , near Kanchipuram. 

Now, I always thought this was so since the very beginning. Do you know if Ramanujar has said anything to the contrary in his Pasurams? 
vanadhi thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail
Originally posted by: varaali

Yes, the Adhi Varadar (original diety) lies immersed in the temple pond. The 10 foot  idol is taken out once in 40 years and grand poojas are done. The last time this was done was in 1979.

The Moolavar who resides in the temple is supposed to have come from a place called Palaya Sreevaram , near Kanchipuram. 

Now, I always thought this was so since the very beginning. Do you know if Ramanujar has said anything to the contrary in his Pasurams? 

No not from Ramanujar 's pasuram but ,got hinted by a yahoo question... about his certainty. ðŸ˜Š

While reading one of the Hymms of Vedanta desika

Tirumagalun tiruvadivun tiruvarulun tellarivu

Marumaiyila maiyumuravu malappariya vadiyarashung

Karumamazhip panippamaippung kalakkamila vagai ninra

Varulvaradar nilaiyilakki lambenana namizhndene

The Lord is ever in the company of his consort; he bears a beautiful body; he is omniscient; his grace is easily obtainable to his devotees; he indwells both pakruti and the purusha; he is omnipotent for he has ruled the entire universe from time immemorial; he stands steadfast without confusion all through his occupation of creation, preservation and annihilation. Like an arrow, I have merged with the feet of the merciful Lord whom I have fixed as my target.

He cleanly states that Lord Varada raj is in standing posture

Some where in verses of early alwars ,I heard they call him Attiyuran,attivaradar ,etc these names only match with Attivaradar (varadar made of Fig tree)who is immersed in Pool water ,

According to some legends During muslim invation only ,the Original deity is hided under pool in order to prevent further damage to old Idol (Like namperumal story in Srirangam)'Since ,he is said to be appeared out of Yagna fire ,He always needed the Fanning seva from devotees ,Even famous Ramanujar also accompanied Thirukachi nambhi in this process .

Since Vendanta Desika belongs 13 th cent  which is famous for muslim invasion in and around tamilnadu ,The possibility of AttiVaradar ,being worshipped by Ramanujar (11 th cent )is there ,That's why I asked ,whether you Heard anything like that or not .  But Still the stories behind Athi varadar fascinates everyone ,who hears it.Thank u for ur reply .

Edited by vanadhi - 11 years ago
.Reshama. thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail Networker 2 Thumbnail
Why did Shivji offended Parvati for her dark complexion.. how can he do this to his wife..if she was dark and he find it so funny..why didi he married her in the first place!! What example is he showin to us..am so dissapointed ...to end this drama Parvati did tapasya to get a light skin colour..didnt Shivji felt sorry for her..our acknowlegde his mistake...😒
mnx12 thumbnail
Visit Streak 500 0 Thumbnail Anniversary 13 Thumbnail + 9

DSS has a different story. When all the rishis & Devatas prayed to Devi Shakti to protect them from Shumb & Nishumbh, Parvati came there she asked them whom are you praying? At that time Durgama appeared from her, saying they are praying to me. She was fair. After she appeared  Parvati's skin turned dark, that's why she was called Kaushiki. Seeing her turning dark, Parvati went for penance. As a result of the penance she turned fair again.

NandiniRaizadaa thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 4

Shivji was only teasing parvati. @meenaxi yes this story is in durga saptashati as welk